OP
@purple_passion avatar
UTC

2007 LX 150

@purple_passion avatar
2007 LX 150
UTC quote
I have ridden a two-wheeler in California and legally split lanes there. Now, with my scoot one year old and with 1,500 miles, I am getting bolder illegally splitting lanes around DC. It sure speeds things up in DC's famously congested traffic. I would like advice, though, on whether the time saved is worth any safety trade-off.
@lanny avatar
UTC

Hooked
2007 Daring Plum LX150 2009 Midnight Blue LX150

Hooked
@lanny avatar
2007 Daring Plum LX150 2009 Midnight Blue LX150
UTC quote
Personal choice based on how much an individual values their time and the value of their safety. It's different for everyone.
@masala avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@masala avatar
UTC quote
lanny wrote:
Personal choice based on how much an individual values their time and the value of their safety. It's different for everyone.
Perfectly stated.

Nobody can say what's right for you - not the bike you ride, the gear you wear (or don't), nor the way you ride.

I've not driven in D.C., but I've heard nightmares about "beltway traffic." If it were me, I'd be splitting.
UTC

Banned

Banned
UTC quote
i split lanes in dead stopped traffic, but never on the right.... EVER.

but its legal.

and people can see me coming with my white helmet on from a mile back.
@dk1021 avatar
UTC

Hooked
vespa gt 125L

Hooked
@dk1021 avatar
vespa gt 125L
UTC quote
to split or not to split......that is the qestion
UTC

Hooked
09 GTS 250

Hooked
09 GTS 250
UTC quote
Re: Splitting Lanes
Purple Passion wrote:
I would like advice, though, on whether the time saved is worth any safety trade-off.
Um... are you for real?
@rudegirl957 avatar
UTC

Addicted
2007 Sky Blue LX150, 1994 Hyosung Rally

Addicted
@rudegirl957 avatar
2007 Sky Blue LX150, 1994 Hyosung Rally
UTC quote
dannyw wrote:
i split lanes in dead stopped traffic, but never on the right.... EVER.

but its legal.

and people can see me coming with my white helmet on from a mile back.
Well...passing on the right in CA is ILLEGAL!!! I'm glad you don't do it! How have you been?
@sfarchie avatar
UTC

Addicted
'08 GTS 250i.e., 1/2 '58 Allstate (RIP), '09 Ducati M1100S (rolly polly'd), '10 Ducati Streetfighter

Addicted
@sfarchie avatar
'08 GTS 250i.e., 1/2 '58 Allstate (RIP), '09 Ducati M1100S (rolly polly'd), '10 Ducati Streetfighter
UTC quote
purple passion & lanny, time to be original. Let's see a new avatar for one or both of ya.
@valimagdon avatar
UTC

Hooked
'80 Bajaj Chetak; '65 Vespa V90; '59 Lambretta Li125

Hooked
@valimagdon avatar
'80 Bajaj Chetak; '65 Vespa V90; '59 Lambretta Li125
UTC quote
I split lanes in moving or stationary traffic. On the left, right, whatever. I get a real thrill fighting traffic and "making progress". I've got a part-time job as a sammich delivery driver, and that hasn't helped any. However I'm not stupid about it, and try and stay hyper-aware of everything around me and only split lanes if it's the very last option.
Yes, I know that for some of you I just said I'm not stupid about being stupid.
@quattrovalvole avatar
UTC

Addicted
09 GTS300 Super black, 04 GT 200 smoky, 05 GT 125 smoky (in pieces)

Addicted
@quattrovalvole avatar
09 GTS300 Super black, 04 GT 200 smoky, 05 GT 125 smoky (in pieces)
UTC quote
In dense traffic I actually find it safer to lane split than to sit between cars. If the lane brakes suddenly, your chances of hitting the car in front of you and flying over it are much greater, IMHO.
@sakkerju avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
Vespa 50 Special '71 / Vespa 150 Sprint V '78

Molto Verboso
@sakkerju avatar
Vespa 50 Special '71 / Vespa 150 Sprint V '78
UTC quote
When queueing up in front of a red traffic light, I might crawl to the front
But only when traffic has completly stopped and the queue is considderably long.
Also there has to be plenty of space to do so, either via turn-off lanes (either right or left) or when there is NO frontal traffic in the other lane.
OP
@purple_passion avatar
UTC

2007 LX 150

@purple_passion avatar
2007 LX 150
UTC quote
Quote:
When queueing up in front of a red traffic light, I might crawl to the front
But only when traffic has completly stopped and the queue is considderably long.
I think that is the best approach. Splitting in moving traffic feels very unsafe. When the cages are stopped, though, they really cannot hurt me.
@2011super avatar
UTC

Banned
2021 GTS 300 Touring

Banned
@2011super avatar
2021 GTS 300 Touring
UTC quote
I split lanes every time there is an oppertunity. The scooter is so much more narrow than a motorcycle so on my 30 min ride last night on the freeway I made great time and did it safely. It is always fun to pass the Harey lane splitters with their much widder bikes. Razz emoticon
@en82pg avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
2010 PIAGGIO BV 500ie Tourer

Ossessionato
@en82pg avatar
UTC quote
2007GTS wrote:
I split lanes every time there is an oppertunity. The scooter is so much more narrow than a motorcycle so on my 30 min ride last night on the freeway I made great time and did it safely. It is always fun to pass the Harey lane splitters with their much widder bikes. Razz emoticon
Saw a guy split lanes about two weeks ago (it's illegal here) and he got creamed when the cager in the left lane decided to cross into the right lane to make a turn.
Lane splitting may be legal in some places, but I think you're flirting with suicide. Maybe lane splitters have a death wish, trying to atone for past misdeeds.
What do you really gain by lane splitting???
Once the traffic starts to move, you just crank on and pass as per normal.
It's only is a matter of a few minutes, if not seconds to get going.
@redcatjack avatar
UTC

Addicted
65 SS180; 79 P200E, 65 Fuji Rabbit Superflo, 07 GTS 250, 12 BMW C650GT

Addicted
@redcatjack avatar
65 SS180; 79 P200E, 65 Fuji Rabbit Superflo, 07 GTS 250, 12 BMW C650GT
UTC quote
Like others here, I split lanes, but only at traffic signals or if freeway traffic is fully stopped. It may be legal, but I'd rather not take the risk with moving traffic and a vehicle that has relatively low visibility, esp to those dang SUV's everywhere.
@dooglas avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
GTS 300ABS, Buddy 125, Buddy Kick 125

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@dooglas avatar
GTS 300ABS, Buddy 125, Buddy Kick 125
UTC quote
Re: Splitting Lanes
Purple Passion wrote:
I would like advice, though, on whether the time saved is worth any safety trade-off.
You'll have to give us some idea what your life is worth. Low value - no problem.
@baumer avatar
UTC

Hooked
Piaggio LT150

Hooked
@baumer avatar
Piaggio LT150
UTC quote
2007GTS wrote:
Home twenty minutes earlier.
@en82pg avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@en82pg avatar
UTC quote
baumer wrote:
2007GTS wrote:
OR, 20 minutes sooner to the ER and then the funeral home.
@robotribe avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
In constant state of flux...

Ossessionato
@robotribe avatar
In constant state of flux...
UTC quote
EN82pg wrote:
baumer wrote:
2007GTS wrote:
Just as there are no guarantees that one will get home sooner by lane splitting, there are no guarantees you'll be killed any easier by doing it. It's allowed here in California under within certain criteria. The cops here do it; even at high speeds. Assuming that just because it's done, whether safely or not, will mean a trip to the E.R. or funeral home is overstating. Judgement is key. I'd say the person you described got creamed because the made the wrong call in that situation, which doesn't mean lane splitting is unsafe in all conditions.
@2011super avatar
UTC

Banned
2021 GTS 300 Touring

Banned
@2011super avatar
2021 GTS 300 Touring
UTC quote
For people in states where it is not legal to lane split you do not do it and I am sure you would not be comfortable doing it so I can see you concern. As for safety or not there are arguements that claim it is safer to split lanes so someone does not plow into he back of you and kill you. I have never been in or had an accident on 2 wheels. It can happen at an time but I think it comes down to your comfort level. If you are afraid then don't do it, if you are not then do it but judging me for doing it all the time or suggesting I only do it to save time is wrong. I do it because it is safer and because it is legal. Plain and simple.
@2011super avatar
UTC

Banned
2021 GTS 300 Touring

Banned
@2011super avatar
2021 GTS 300 Touring
UTC quote
robotribe wrote:
EN82pg wrote:
baumer wrote:
2007GTS wrote:
Just as there are no guarantees that one will get home sooner by lane splitting, there are no guarantees you'll be killed any easier by doing it. It's allowed here in California under within certain criteria. The cops here do it; even at high speeds. Assuming that just because it's done, whether safely or not, will mean a trip to the E.R. or funeral home is overstating. Judgement is key. I'd say the person you described got creamed because the made the wrong call in that situation, which doesn't mean lane splitting is unsafe in all conditions.
+1 Well said robotribe.
@en82pg avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@en82pg avatar
UTC quote
2007GTS wrote:
robotribe wrote:
EN82pg wrote:
baumer wrote:
2007GTS wrote:
+1 Well said robotribe.
You can justify drink driving with the same logic, if you don't get caught, or in an accident, no problem.
Same as a cell phone, or other distractions while driving.
Any operation of a motor vehicle, 2,3 or 4 wheel that is contrary to sensibility and logic is, in my opinion, a death wish, or a rush to suicide. Just look at the stats.
@2011super avatar
UTC

Banned
2021 GTS 300 Touring

Banned
@2011super avatar
2021 GTS 300 Touring
UTC quote
This argument reminds me of this video.

The word that comes to mind is False dilemma

The informal fallacy of false dilemma (also called false dichotomy, the either-or fallacy, or bifurcation) involves a situation in which only two alternatives are considered, when in fact there are other options. Closely related are failing to consider a range of options and the tendency to think in extremes, called black-and-white thinking. Strictly speaking, the prefix "di" in "dilemma" means "two". When a list of more than two choices are offered, but there are other choices not mentioned, then the fallacy is called the fallacy of false choice.

When a person really does have only two choices, as in the classic short story The Lady or the Tiger, then they are often said to be "on the horns of a dilemma".

False dilemma can arise intentionally, when fallacy is used in an attempt to force a choice ("If you are not with us, you are against us.") But the fallacy can arise simply by accidental omission-possibly through a form of wishful thinking or ignorance-rather than by deliberate deception.

When two alternatives are presented, they are often, though not always, two extreme points on some spectrum of possibilities. This can lend credence to the larger argument by giving the impression that the options are mutually exclusive, even though they need not be. Furthermore, the options are typically presented as being collectively exhaustive, in which case the fallacy can be overcome, or at least weakened, by considering other possibilities, or perhaps by considering a whole spectrum of possibilities, as in fuzzy logic.
@cary_alburn avatar
UTC

Hooked
LX150

Hooked
@cary_alburn avatar
LX150
UTC quote
A similar situation is the cagers who zig and zag and accelerate and decelerate in an attempt to take advantage of a few feet of space in the lanes, rarely arriving at the destination much quicker than those who drive smoothly and primarily stay in one lane--but the zig-zaggers get their adrenalin rush and their heart rate up! A couple of days ago, I watched one zig when he should have zagged--his old Cherokee tapped a Ford F150, barely scratched the Ford but took out the left front fender and the radiator of the Jeep--saved him lots and lots of time. Razz emoticon

As for me, I don't see the need for me to split, legal or not. I'm just not in that much of a hurry. Others may differ. But I don't bounce all that good any more, and I really don't want to scratch my scoot or break me. I've seen too many folks open their doors to spit or just to relatch them, and that's all it would take to ruin a lane-splitter's day.

Cary
@2011super avatar
UTC

Banned
2021 GTS 300 Touring

Banned
@2011super avatar
2021 GTS 300 Touring
UTC quote
Please read this article. Link

Below is a quote from the article.
Quote:
Yet, according to a study commissioned by the U.S. Department of Transportation and conducted by University of Southern California professor Harry Hurt, going between cars during stop-and-go is actually safer than waiting in a lane. "For a motorcyclist, that's the safest place to be," Hurt said after releasing his study. "A lot of people think it's a hazard, but the cold, hard facts are that it's not."

The reason for this is that a motorcyclist stopped in a lane is more likely to be struck from behind by an inattentive driver than to get into an accident during lane sharing.
@scootninja avatar
UTC

Hooked
2006 Piaggio Fly150, 2008 Triumph StreetTriple

Hooked
@scootninja avatar
2006 Piaggio Fly150, 2008 Triumph StreetTriple
UTC quote
Splitting should be legal everywhere.
I do it all the time in stopped traffic, at lights, on the freeway.
I am judicious about it, though, so rarely split when traffic is moving at more than a moderate pace.

I only wish the damned 'Bot's dots' weren't so prevalent here in Cali.
They kinda freak me out.
@macchianera avatar
UTC

Gtv 250, DL 150

@macchianera avatar
Gtv 250, DL 150
UTC quote
Go ahead and split. Otherwise what is the point of having a two wheeler?
UTC

Ossessionato
X10 350

Ossessionato
X10 350
UTC quote
EN82pg wrote:
Saw a guy split lanes about two weeks ago (it's illegal here) and he got creamed when the cager in the left lane decided to cross into the right lane to make a turn.
Lane splitting may be legal in some places, but I think you're flirting with suicide. Maybe lane splitters have a death wish, trying to atone for past misdeeds.
I think it's different here (London) because:
1) it's legal, and a common practise, so car drivers [should be] used to bikes filtering (as we call lane splitting). Of course, there's always drivers who are inconsiderate, and when filtering I adopt the common urban technique of assuming that THEY ARE ALL OUT TO GET YOU and expecting all other road users to do something stupid.

2) if you didn't filter in London, you'd pretty much sit still and go nowhere. Pedestrians would be making better progress.
@chillicrab avatar
UTC

Hooked
MP3 398.9

Hooked
@chillicrab avatar
MP3 398.9
UTC quote
likewise in singapore. lane splitting is the norm, and the whole point of being on a bike here is we can all leave the office at the same time but bikers can be home and watching tv while the cagers are still stuck in the world's biggest carpark.
like most of you i do it if traffic's at a standstill, just to creep to the front and pull away at the lights. if the traffic's moving i'll just tag along and overtake if i'm in a rush. we just have to look out for taxis, though not all are nasty but some deliberately edge out when they see bikers approaching, just to narrow our passage. scumbags.
to get our motorcycle licence we have to ride the narrow plank (1ft wide, about 15ft long, in more than 6 seconds) as one of the 6 must-pass stations during the test. talk is that this obstacle was introduced because if we wanna split lanes we must learn to creep along without losing our balance.
@drewteague avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@drewteague avatar
UTC quote
As countless threads have proved, lane splitting is favored where it is permitted, and feared where it is not. It is a valuable tool for relieving congestion in dense urban areas, and where permitted, it is expected by 4-wheel drivers we share the road with, increasing the safety of its practice. I have lane split on the freeway up to probably 60+ mph and always feel safe. All of my close calls have been while occupying a lane by myself on a city street, as a cager pulls in front of me at an intersection.

It's easy to fear something that's unfamiliar. If lane-splitting was truly dangerous, those that did it the most would be able to tell you why, but reality shows the opposite.

And you ask what time it saves???? Maybe in a small town not so much, but I can get anywhere in LA in 15-20 mins tops. Those that don't think this is a feat should visit sometime.
UTC

Enthusiast
Harley SuperGlide

Enthusiast
Harley SuperGlide
UTC quote
You'll shoot your eye out!
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0332s ][ Queries: 3 (0.0155s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]