@jess avatar
UTC

Petty Tyrant
0:7 And counting

Petty Tyrant
@jess avatar
UTC quote
I've just put in place a system that will hopefully keep us from stepping on each others toes when making article edits. When you edit an article, a temporary "edit lock" will be placed on that article. If anyone else attempts to edit that article while you're editing, a message will be displayed indicating that the article is being edited, and to try again later.

In order to not have articles get permanently locked when someone abandons their edit (or gets distracted by some other shiny object), there's a ten-minute period on edit locks. If you don't submit or preview your changes for ten minutes, the lock will expire and someone else could, in theory, edit the article you're currently editing. So definitely hit Preview every now and again to see how your changes look, and everything will be fine.

As with all parts of the wiki, this is a custom modification and was written by me, possibly while drunk. Keep your eyes out for anything which seems wrong, or even overtly onerous. We'd like to hear about it if you encounter difficulties.
@ianp avatar
UTC

Destroyer of Worlds
LML Star 125, Vespa GT200

Destroyer of Worlds
@ianp avatar
LML Star 125, Vespa GT200
UTC quote
Couldn't the software figure out if you abandoned an edit by seeing when you load another page?

It wouldn't be able to tell if you left the site directly from the edit page though. (or would it?)
OP
@jess avatar
UTC

Petty Tyrant

Petty Tyrant
@jess avatar
UTC quote
thefuzzylogic wrote:
Couldn't the software figure out if you abandoned an edit by seeing when you load another page?
It could, but that would lead to another problem: if you went to another page in a different window to look something up (which I frequently do while writing wiki articles) it would release the lock on your article.
thefuzzylogic wrote:
It wouldn't be able to tell if you left the site directly from the edit page though. (or would it?)
Nope. There's no way to tell that.
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0484s ][ Queries: 6 (0.0204s) ][ Debug on ][ 313 ][ Thing One ]