OP
UTC

Vespa GTS 250 ie

Vespa GTS 250 ie
UTC quote
I just purchased a 2008 Vespa GTS 250. I still have the chance to purchase a 3 yr extended warranty for $350. There is 6 months left on the factory 1 yr. The question is do I really need it or would it be a waste of money?
@joel_hamilton avatar
UTC

Addicted
'07 GTS (RIP) '09 GTS Ducati M750

Addicted
@joel_hamilton avatar
'07 GTS (RIP) '09 GTS Ducati M750
UTC quote
Personally, I have not used the warrantee for even ONE little thing. Not one.
I am going to try it for the first time, with a warped front brake disc, but I dont have high hopes for it.
I am sure someone has had a good experience with this sort of thing, but I dont.
@masala avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@masala avatar
UTC quote
I think it comes down to personal preference. Some like warranties for piece of mind, others don't need it. If you are the type to live paycheck to paycheck and would be majorly inconvenienced without your scooter (i.e., no way to get to work), get the warranty. If you keep some money in savings and can afford a(n unlikely) breakdown between now and when the warranty would expire, save the $350 and trust that your scooter most likely won't let you down. I think routine maintenance is the key on these beasts - keep up to date on yours, and you should be in for years of happy, trouble-free ownership...
@glasseye avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
GTS, LX, VSD, VSX, VNX, LD 125, Chucky, LI125

Ossessionato
@glasseye avatar
UTC quote
Your too late....

It is either 60 or 90 days to purchase.....no more.

If your at 6 months....time has run out.

I have gotten my moneys worth with the warranty.....but then my bike has 22,000+ miles.

Do not sweat it thou...for the most part these scooters are bulletproof.

R

8)
UTC

2009 LX150

2009 LX150
UTC quote
Warranty can be your friend
I can say that I had all sorts of problems with a 2007 LX150 over the course of 6 months of ownership. It was in the shop all the time, and the dealer still couldn't find out what was wrong. I was happy to have the warranty coverage, even though it ended up being resolved through the state lemon law. So I guess I can say that the 3 year warranty might very well be worth it.
@sdg avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
63 GS160 MK1 / GT60 / Sean Wotherspoon

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@sdg avatar
UTC quote
Re: Warranty can be your friend
coltrane wrote:
I can say that I had all sorts of problems with a 2007 LX150 over the course of 6 months of ownership. It was in the shop all the time, and the dealer still couldn't find out what was wrong. I was happy to have the warranty coverage, even though it ended up being resolved through the state lemon law. So I guess I can say that the 3 year warranty might very well be worth it.
Do tell what "all sorts of problems" meant regarding the LX. The only thing one would usually need is the carb sorted out.

Sounds like the dealer didn't get you hooked up in a reasonable period of time. LX major failure? Never seen it.

SDG
@sdg avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@sdg avatar
UTC quote
glasseye wrote:
Your too late....

It is either 60 or 90 days to purchase.....no more.

If your at 6 months....time has run out.

+1. Indeed the window to purchase it has expired.

No worries, it will be fine.

SDG
@glasseye avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@glasseye avatar
UTC quote
Quote:
I can say that I had all sorts of problems with a 2007 LX150
Unfortunately, your the exception to the rule. There are always exceptions.

Some problems can be tough to figure out, and it depends on the talent of the mechanic.

A friend had a LX with a mystery problem....took months to figure out a clip was missing from the carb. The first shop(where it was purchased) never did figure it out.

Great runner now...

The motor in the LX is darn near bulletproof.....

R

8)
@masala avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@masala avatar
UTC quote
glasseye wrote:
Quote:
I can say that I had all sorts of problems with a 2007 LX150
Unfortunately, your the exception to the rule. There are always exceptions.

Some problems can be tough to figure out, and it depends on the talent of the mechanic.

Agreed 110%... My 2007 has been unbelievably reliable. I'd ride it across the U.S. starting tomorrow with no changes to its current state. I'd get a service along the way - sure - but in no way would I expect a mechanical failure from any part that isn't a "consumable" (i.e., tires, brake pads, belt).
@judy avatar
UTC

World Traveler
2007 LX150 Daring Plum Leonardo Da Vespa

World Traveler
@judy avatar
2007 LX150 Daring Plum Leonardo Da Vespa
UTC quote
Check with your dealer since if you bought it between oct 20 and nov 30 of this year new you get a free extended warranty. Free is good
@snapshot05 avatar
UTC

WHOoligan
1985 PX200E Arcobaleno : 2010/14 GTS300 S: RIP GTS250 @ 40K

WHOoligan
@snapshot05 avatar
1985 PX200E Arcobaleno : 2010/14 GTS300 S: RIP GTS250 @ 40K
UTC quote
Glad I have the warranty, one year down and two to go.

Replaced under warranty,

Seat latch mechanism
rear wheel seal
Wonky seat (rivets on main hinge loose, seat ripping from piaggio rear bars)
⚠️ Last edited by snapshot05 on UTC; edited 1 time
UTC

Banned
GTS 250ie YELLOW N WHITE,Giallo Lime

Banned
GTS 250ie YELLOW N WHITE,Giallo Lime
UTC quote
Re: Do I need a extended warranty ?
surfpotts wrote:
I just purchased a 2008 Vespa GTS 250. I still have the chance to purchase a 3 yr extended warranty for $350. There is 6 months left on the factory 1 yr. The question is do I really need it or would it be a waste of money?
----------------------
The reason I love the 3 yr warranty, water cooling, these things can brake down at any time, water pump, plastic Radiator over flow container, Tanktops broke in Mexico I beleave. One year down ( 9,786 miles ) and two years to go.
UTC

2009 LX150

2009 LX150
UTC quote
Re: Warranty can be your friend
SDG wrote:
Do tell what "all sorts of problems" meant regarding the LX. The only thing one would usually need is the carb sorted out.

Sounds like the dealer didn't get you hooked up in a reasonable period of time. LX major failure? Never seen it.
My scoot mysteriously shut off while driving, usually at extremely problematic times -- middle of 50mph traffic, late at night miles from home, etc. the problem was truly intermittant and the dealer couldn't replicate it, or wasn't willing to ride it enough to have the problem repeat. They replaced all kinds of stuff and fussed with connections of all sorts over 3 months but it kept happening. Lemon Law in MA says if it's in the shop for x days over the first year (can't remember # now) and it can't be fixed, you can get a refund. That's what I did, and got a 2009 for the same price. Piaggio took the scoot and sent it to service HQ in California to figure out what went wrong.

I'm a Vespa fan and consider this an anomaly with what is by all accounts an incredibly reliable scoot. But this is why the warranty (and consumer protection laws) are useful and important.

Just got my new 2009 LX150 and am looking forward to some cold weather rides until the snow comes in earnest!
@vespa_pomona avatar
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
@vespa_pomona avatar
UTC quote
Quote:
The question is do I really need it or would it be a waste of money?
Like any other insurance, you won't know the answer until it's too late.
$15 per month doesn't seem like very much for warranty coverage. One claim could make it worth the investment.
@boy_wonder avatar
UTC

Vespa S

@boy_wonder avatar
Vespa S
UTC quote
+1 on the importance of the warranty. I will be extending mine. Like, Coltrane, my new Vespa S is experiencing a similar problem of shutting off, rough idling, and backfiring for no replicable reason. Fortunately MD has a lemon law too, so I'm heartened that you were able to get a new scooter under MA's. If this last fix doesn't cure it, I'll have to go that route.
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0155s ][ Queries: 3 (0.0028s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]