UTC

WHOoligan
1985 PX200E Arcobaleno : 2010/14 GTS300 S: RIP GTS250 @ 40K

WHOoligan
@snapshot05 avatar
1985 PX200E Arcobaleno : 2010/14 GTS300 S: RIP GTS250 @ 40K
UTC quote
Marcster wrote:
I really thought I'd be taking my scooter over to our storage unit, putting the battery on a Battery Tender Jr., adding Stay-Bil to the gas and parking it till Spring.

But...

I'm still riding. Wool-blend long johns, ultrafleece lined jeans, winter-weight armored gloves, sweatshirt, zip-in vest under my armored jacket, full-face helmet and I'm out the door.

I've been out as low as 31 degrees. Really makes you feel alive! External inline image provided by member with no explanatory text

I do need to get some sort of neck gater or balaclava -- my neck gets cold after a while.

My wife, who does not support my riding, told me that I'm crazy. I told her that people go skiing and snowboarding when it's cold out -- this is just another activity (the fact that I am actually going somewhere and/or bringing home groceries, etc. is icing on the cake).

I won't go out if there's snow on the ground, and I guess I'll have to park it when the cinders (small gravel for traction in snow) are put down by the road crews, but I'll keep going out as long as I can...
Though I cant say Ive ridden that cold of weather, here in Soul Cal, it gets about low 50s,and I like it but the wife hates it.
I loved riding my P200 in cold weather, it ran better in cold weather. I never had to worry about seizing up.

Ride safe my brotha

Manny
@ollie avatar
UTC

Hooked
GT 200 "Ollie"

Hooked
@ollie avatar
GT 200 "Ollie"
UTC quote
Got my lap apron yesterday and IT ROCKED!!! It was 32 degrees on the way home. My hands were getting cold inside my gloves, but my legs stayed warm!

Ice sucks!
@dutch avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
LXV 150 GTV 250

Ossessionato
@dutch avatar
LXV 150 GTV 250
UTC quote
I'm going to have to get a whisk broom for the pet carrier.
Forum member supplied image with no explanatory text
Forum member supplied image with no explanatory text
@mullman avatar
UTC

Addicted
10 Dragon Red GTS300, 67 BMW hack

Addicted
@mullman avatar
10 Dragon Red GTS300, 67 BMW hack
UTC quote
Downright mild at 39 deg F this morning.
Looks like it will warm up to around 50 deg F for my ride home shortly.
Not bad for December!
@menhir avatar
UTC

@menhir avatar
UTC quote
I did a bit of riding around today; the cleaners, post office, banking.
It was 25F.

My thrown-together riding gear works well enough into the 20's F. At least, that's the coldest I've been out scooting for any length of time.

I haven't been commuting to work as much on the scooter lately because my gear still can't stand up to an hour at those temperatures at high speed.

My gloves are the weak link. They are good into the mid 30's, and OK for short runs at lower temps (like today), but they just don't hold up for the long rides.

I'm not happy with the idea of wiring up heated grips or anything else that taxes the ET4 electric system. I'm considering battery powered glove liners. Still looking.

I don't necessarily need to be toasty, just not frozen.
@genie avatar
UTC

Gobshite Shiva
Kymco Downtown 300i the 'Dolphin Noise'

Gobshite Shiva
@genie avatar
Kymco Downtown 300i the 'Dolphin Noise'
UTC quote
Menhir wrote:
I did a bit of riding around today; the cleaners, post office, banking.
It was 25F.

My thrown-together riding gear works well enough into the 20's F. At least, that's the coldest I've been out scooting for any length of time.

I haven't been commuting to work as much on the scooter lately because my gear still can't stand up to an hour at those temperatures at high speed.

My gloves are the weak link. They are good into the mid 30's, and OK for short runs at lower temps (like today), but they just don't hold up for the long rides.

I'm not happy with the idea of wiring up heated grips or anything else that taxes the ET4 electric system. I'm considering battery powered glove liners. Still looking.

I don't necessarily need to be toasty, just not frozen.
the oxford 'hot hands' grips only draw 1.3 amps per grip. i use them all the time in cold weather and have never had a battery drain problem, even on short trips. except when i left them on all night by mistake one time - that completely drained the battery they really do make all the difference between frozen fingers and comfortably toasty paws. i can't recommend them highly enough.
@flanman_hawaii avatar
UTC

Addicted
Daring Plum GT 200, Dragon Red LX 150, Kawi Green KLR 650, Hi-Viz Yeller V-Strom 650, Bonneville Black

Addicted
@flanman_hawaii avatar
Daring Plum GT 200, Dragon Red LX 150, Kawi Green KLR 650, Hi-Viz Yeller V-Strom 650, Bonneville Black
UTC quote
External inline image provided by member with no explanatory text You're right. Cold weather riding is great. In fact, I put the lining in my mesh jacket just the other day. It was brutal -- in the low 70s.

Aloha!
@menhir avatar
UTC

@menhir avatar
UTC quote
Quote:
the oxford 'hot hands' grips only draw 1.3 amps per grip. i use them all the time in cold weather and have never had a battery drain problem, even on short trips. except when i left them on all night by mistake one time - that completely drained the battery they really do make all the difference between frozen fingers and comfortably toasty paws. i can't recommend them highly enough.
Thanks.

The Oxfords are a little hard to find over here, but it looks like our friends at Locktite sell them:
http://www.lockitt.com/AccessoriesGrips3.htm#hothands

And I found something similar from Areostich:
http://www.aerostich.com/catalog/US/Aerostich-Warm-Wrap-Grips-p-16731.html

My wife still wants to know what I want for Christmas. I think I have a pretty good idea, now.
@chicagoscooterclub avatar
UTC

Hooked
Stella, Buddy, Vespa

Hooked
@chicagoscooterclub avatar
Stella, Buddy, Vespa
UTC quote
You all need to get in on the Cold Weather Challenge!

http://2strokebuzz.com/index.php?p=4434#more-4434 8)
OP
@marcster avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
2000 Yamaha Diversion XJ600

Molto Verboso
@marcster avatar
2000 Yamaha Diversion XJ600
UTC quote
From today's ride:

External inline image provided by member with no explanatory text

(My Kymco's temp gauge only reads in Celsius. That's 33.8 for the rest of us. It did read -1C for part of the ride aka 30.2F).

I am going to need to park it soon though... Damn cinders all over from the DOT trucks for the snow we got over the weekend.
UTC

Enthusiast
2009 Piaggio Fly 150

Enthusiast
2009 Piaggio Fly 150
UTC quote
Coldest I've ever ridden in was 25 F, with full windshield, I sacrificed my neck and chin so I could keep one of my knees warm (my pants had holes in the knees, you see. and I moved the gaiter I usually wear to the knee with the most forward facing hole). 20 mile round trip (10 there, 10 back, since I don't actually know for sure if that's what "20 mile round trip" means...).

It worked out extremely well (for the one knee), so I was drooling over the prospect of buying two more of these gaiters for about $4 each. But there no longer in stock. I'll be checking back all winter, cause I want me some toasted knees.

That coldest trip was strictly business, but I've taken several hour long joy* rides in 34 to 29 degree weather just because I wanted to.

* - I also did some exploring, trying to find alternate routes to places I am familiar with, by going on roads I've never been on. So there was a practical purpose. I found a most amazing Retirement Home, too.
@jimc avatar
UTC

Moderaptor
The Hornet (GT200, aka Love Bug) and 'Dimples' - a GTS 300

Moderaptor
@jimc avatar
The Hornet (GT200, aka Love Bug) and 'Dimples' - a GTS 300
UTC quote
Better surely is to find some better clothing...
@quentin avatar
UTC

Addicted
Red GTS250

Addicted
@quentin avatar
Red GTS250
UTC quote
[quote="El Josh AKA Ruby"]
Whiskey89 wrote:
driving in the cold is great, but i'd like to remind everyone to dress the part and consider the windchill factor.

External inline image provided by member with no explanatory text

hypothermia isnt a myth.
oops I guess I've been red lining it a bit. well maybe burying the needle

-30 @ 80 + km/h several times last year- could explain those headaches after riding for an hour or two.
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0436s ][ Queries: 4 (0.0319s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]