UTC

Ossessionato
Mp3 500

Ossessionato
@rob_in_denver avatar
Mp3 500
UTC quote
An email from an Italian friend today says the expected-
things are harsh in Italy-factories closing etc...
So I have to wonder how Piaggio is doing ( and Gilera)
in these rough economic times? Anyone know?
Lets hope they are well, but who is immune these days?
We need them to stick around......
@jimc avatar
UTC

Moderaptor
The Hornet (GT200, aka Love Bug) and 'Dimples' - a GTS 300

Moderaptor
@jimc avatar
The Hornet (GT200, aka Love Bug) and 'Dimples' - a GTS 300
UTC quote
So the Global tightening of the screw begins...

I suspect Piaggio will fare better than many car manufacturers in Europe - they offer a viable choice here.
UTC

Hooked
'07 MP3 250 ('08 Mar-'09 Mar)

Hooked
UTC quote
Found this @ a 'cousin' forum:
Quote:
Piaggio is cutting back on production across all its motorcycle and scooter brands after depressing results for the first 3 quarters of 2008.

Overall sales were down by almost 6%, falling 10% in Europe, which accounts for about 80% of its bike and scooter sales.

http://www.asphaltandrubber.com/news...market-winner/
@luthorhuss avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
R.I.P. ----K.I.T.T.500, Agent Orange (400)

Ossessionato
@luthorhuss avatar
UTC quote
What about all the news broadcasts a few months ago that showed that Piaggio sales were up 23% in the U.S. for the year? Surely that will mean that the U.S. market might become their new focus? I guess there's two ways to look at it. Anyways, I GOT MINE AND THEY CAN'T HAVE IT BACK!! Razz emoticon
@fuzzy avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
. . 2008 Blue MP3 400. . di Peluria Orso .... 1993 Kawasaki Vulcan 500 ....... 2013 Honda NC700XD; 2017 Versys X300

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@fuzzy avatar
. . 2008 Blue MP3 400. . di Peluria Orso .... 1993 Kawasaki Vulcan 500 ....... 2013 Honda NC700XD; 2017 Versys X300
UTC quote
23% of next to nothing is still next to nothing. We are a growing market but have a long way to go to have the market importance of countries where scooters outnumber cars in the cities. I have yet to see another MP3 on the road except making a special 200+ mile trip to do so. I can go weeks without seeing another scooter of any type on the road.
@luthorhuss avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@luthorhuss avatar
UTC quote
Fuzzy wrote:
23% of next to nothing is still next to nothing. We are a growing market but have a long way to go to have the market importance of countries where scooters outnumber cars in the cities. I have yet to see another MP3 on the road except making a special 200+ mile trip to do so. I can go weeks without seeing another scooter of any type on the road.
Yeah, the entire time we were in NC, we were the only people with mp3s. That's just fiiine with me 8) . Make's me feel like I own a rare Ferrarri or something lol. Honestly, the company could go belly up tomorrow and while sad, would not affect me in the least. As a matter of fact, I think the turnaround on getting parts would probably remain the same...SNAP!
OP
@rob_in_denver avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
Mp3 500

Ossessionato
@rob_in_denver avatar
Mp3 500
UTC quote
Parts of course might be the biggest issue for most of us.
As one of the few flagship companies from Italy, one
hopes the Italian Govt would try to keep it going if need be.
UTC

Ossessionato
Scarabeo 500GT(hers), `07 250 MP3, `09 400 MP3

Ossessionato
Scarabeo 500GT(hers), `07 250 MP3, `09 400 MP3
UTC quote
If Piaggio goes tits up, then we all have collector items.

My MZ MC is already getting in that category this December.
@jacq avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
Willow Rouge: Excaliber Silver MP3 250 VIN 3288

Molto Verboso
@jacq avatar
Willow Rouge: Excaliber Silver MP3 250 VIN 3288
UTC quote
Nothing sends a message like money. When parts are ordered, that creates demand. Where there is demand, the supply can be made.

This basic free market premise is why I've gotten all the plastic parts on hand. I've gotten both the front and rear black plastic fenders (protectors), all four reflectors and all mounting parts, as well as a Zippy 1 rear tire and a oil filter. The plastic fenders have tabs that break easily, especially during cold temperatures, so replacing these inexpensive parts is sensible. I can guard against supply shortages and have them onhand for those awkward times like AUGUST. And most of all, I'm sending Piaggio the message: Make the parts; we will buy.
@501 avatar
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
@501 avatar
UTC quote
Is the global market really hurting like the US market? My U.S. sales are down 33% since the day the bailout was approved, yet my International sales are up 21% from the same date.
OP
@rob_in_denver avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
Mp3 500

Ossessionato
@rob_in_denver avatar
Mp3 500
UTC quote
501 that means you are only down 10%? Lucky dog!
Hope it holds up for you.
You have to think that there are not many people lined up
to buy Scooters at the moment, so I hope it holds up for Piaggio too.

My biz is in the crapper. But I am not alone.
@joyce avatar
UTC

Hooked
fuoco 500

Hooked
@joyce avatar
fuoco 500
UTC quote
Here in the UK the problems are basically the same as the US. Our govt. is encouraging everyone to spend, spend, and spend to keep the money circulating and create a supply and demand to keep the economy moving.

They have given the banks billions to lend to people who want mortgages and personal loans. They are also being encouraged to help businesses on the brink.

When everything settles down again there will be restriction on money so the national debt can be paid back - just hope it all works.
@luthorhuss avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@luthorhuss avatar
UTC quote
I give it 10 years before we're all an Mp3 gang with Jim C as our leader, living in OZ just like in Mad Max. We'll be the dominant gang cos we can ride the longest without having to pull over and get gas from our highjacked semi trailer tank full of petro. UFO can be the "wild kid" who sits in the front feeding JimC his buckshot shells.
UTC

Banned

Banned
UTC quote
501 wrote:
Is the global market really hurting like the US market? My U.S. sales are down 33% since the day the bailout was approved, yet my International sales are up 21% from the same date.
Do you watch the news? Tune to PBS and watch BBC World News.

Wayne B
UTC

Hooked
2015 300 GTS

Hooked
2015 300 GTS
UTC quote
It is indeed a concern
There are not a lot of dealers close to me, so if the local one goes under, I would have a problem getting service. This coupled with the potential worsening parts supply is a concern.. The only option would be to sell the scooter and but a yamaha or or Honda. Of course from what I gather no one wants a trade in Piaggio since they have no way to service them.

I love the 3 wheels but sometimes feel I would be better protected with a large Japanese company.
@schlagle avatar
UTC

Addicted
MP3 500, Buddy 125

Addicted
@schlagle avatar
MP3 500, Buddy 125
UTC quote
501 wrote:
Foreign markets are hurting just like the US. Same problems of buying and selling bad debt. The plus side for you is that a weak dollar means that exports are stronger than normal. I haven't heard how Obama plans to address this issue, if at all.
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
UTC quote
We spend too much of what we don't have. Trouble is, no poli wants to deal w/ this now.....it would mean he/she is a 'one-termer'.

Than again, what's wrong w/ that???
UTC

MP 3 500

MP 3 500
UTC quote
What makes the situation worse is the sharp decline in gas prices, lessening the demand, at least in North America, for alternative modes of transportation.

RJ
@jerryw avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
MP3 500, Honda PCX

Molto Verboso
@jerryw avatar
MP3 500, Honda PCX
UTC quote
I guess the $2,200 Chinese 250 I bought for running to Starbucks and/or the store is my "spare parts" though I didn't think that when I bought it. Anyway, I plan to go ahead and have my 500 seat cut down for me - "a la Jacq," in Austin next week - and not wait for the 850. The 850 may turn out to be a wispy dream, like a Given seat for the MP3. No need to risk more than what I've already put in the MP3 in this economy.

But look at the bright side. With a government that advertises, "We will print all the money we need...." an inflation is on the way. Perhaps what we have invested in the MP3 will be what a bag of groceries costs in the future! We can't loose!!!
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0151s ][ Queries: 3 (0.0042s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]