@michael_moore avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
GTS(me)/GTV(wife)

Molto Verboso
@michael_moore avatar
GTS(me)/GTV(wife)
UTC quote
I just got this video camera a few days ago and it's pretty remarkable for being so small and simple to use. I thought I might try attaching it via the RAM mount to my left mirror stalk and shooting some parts of my favorite ride.

As you can see, it does auto white balancing on the fly, so sometimes the color shifts mid shot. And when the road gets bumpy you could really use some kind of stabilizer. But all in all, pretty fun, plus I'm thinking I could get creative about placement with something so small and light.

[The ride is from Mill Valley, north of San Francisco, up Hwy 1 along the Pacific coast, then back over Mt. Tamalpais.]
@trafficjammer avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
2008 Teal LX125 ... 2007 Red LX150 ... 2010 Yellow LX125ie

Ossessionato
@trafficjammer avatar
UTC quote
That is really cool Michael! Pretty good quality considering how little (and inexpensive - starting at $149.99 to 229.99) that thing is! It even has accessories like an action mount for your scooter, an underwater case, tripod if you want it and other "stuff". I am going to get me one!

http://www.theflip.com/products_flip_ultra.shtml

I am looking at the "Flip Mino" which is the $229.99 model and it only weighs 3.3 ounces! It has a built in memory with 60 minutes recording time, 2X digital zoom ... very cool!

Thanks for posting. I am quite excited and can't wait to get my Christmas present to me!
@trafficjammer avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@trafficjammer avatar
UTC quote
Oh crap! I went through the whole ordering process and selected the Black Mino, the underwater case, black Soft Pouch, USB cables, the action mount ... for a total of $324.95 and THEN discovered you can only buy it online in the Continental United States and must have a US billing address. What a bummer!

Oh well, I guess I can do without.
OP
@michael_moore avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
GTS(me)/GTV(wife)

Molto Verboso
@michael_moore avatar
GTS(me)/GTV(wife)
UTC quote
TrafficJammer wrote:
Oh crap! I went through the whole ordering process and selected the Black Mino, the underwater case, black Soft Pouch, USB cables, the action mount ... for a total of $324.95 and THEN discovered you can only buy it online in the Continental United States and must have a US billing address. What a bummer!

I got mine at Costco for 150 bucks, with a little neoprene case included. I don't know if you have Costco in the Virgin Islands, but if you do...
@trafficjammer avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@trafficjammer avatar
UTC quote
Alas, no Costco in the British Virgin Islands or any other "chain" stores for that matter. There is a "Cost-U-Less" and a "Best Buy" in the United States Virgin Islands but no Costco. Thanks ... I'll just put it on my ever growing list of things to buy the next time I go back home to Toronto or visit the U.S. Unfortunately, that won't be anytime soon. Next summer maybe.
@79p200e avatar
UTC

Hooked
LX150

Hooked
@79p200e avatar
LX150
UTC quote
ahhhh!!! The flip mino is sooo cool! I'm getting mine in a week when my Christmas bonus comes! I'm still debating on your model, (cause I saw it at costco for that great price) or the hd model for $229.99. Any suggestions?
OP
@michael_moore avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
GTS(me)/GTV(wife)

Molto Verboso
@michael_moore avatar
GTS(me)/GTV(wife)
UTC quote
79p200e wrote:
ahhhh!!! The flip mino is sooo cool! I'm getting mine in a week when my Christmas bonus comes! I'm still debating on your model, (cause I saw it at costco for that great price) or the hd model for $229.99. Any suggestions?
I think if they'd had the HD model I might've gone with that, just because. On the other hand, if you just want to upload stuff to Youtube, then the Mino is plenty good for that. I think the size/screen/buttons and record time are the same for both. Tough call really.
@rex avatar
UTC

Rock Star
Moto Guzzi V7 Classic

Rock Star
@rex avatar
Moto Guzzi V7 Classic
UTC quote
I think you need to ride on a road that's got more twisties...j/k Razz emoticon Great shots! Fun ride!!!
@79p200e avatar
UTC

Hooked
LX150

Hooked
@79p200e avatar
LX150
UTC quote
Yeah I was thinking of using it for a little more than YouTube. The one thing that really bums me out is that you only have up to 2 hours of recording time on hd compared to 4 hours with the regular mino, plus that deal at costco is so good! It's always nice to save a few bucks! I heard the video quality isn't as good on YouTube as it is on your computer. Is this true?
OP
@michael_moore avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
GTS(me)/GTV(wife)

Molto Verboso
@michael_moore avatar
GTS(me)/GTV(wife)
UTC quote
79p200e wrote:
Yeah I was thinking of using it for a little more than YouTube. The one thing that really bums me out is that you only have up to 2 hours of recording time on hd compared to 4 hours with the regular mino, plus that deal at costco is so good! It's always nice to save a few bucks! I heard the video quality isn't as good on YouTube as it is on your computer. Is this true?
I think the recording time for both is 1 hour. I know the Mino (regular) is one hour.

The video is a bit better on my laptop, but some of the weird artifacts from the camera bouncing are in all copies.

I'd say if you're just going to Youtube, save your $$.
@paperino avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
GTS 250 "Audrey"

Ossessionato
@paperino avatar
GTS 250 "Audrey"
UTC quote
Very nice. I'm envious! My part of florida is a grid. Drive straight for one mile. Stop. Go straight some more or make a 90 deg. turn and go straight again. And so it goes. I have one road on the way to work that that has a slight left bend, and a slight right bend. I exaggerate the lean just to pretend.
@trafficjammer avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@trafficjammer avatar
UTC quote
I had a "swarming" incident on my scooter last Saturday when three young kids on scooters decided to scare the bejeebers out of me. I check my rear view mirrors probably every 15 seconds or thereabouts ... but I never saw these guys coming and because the prevailing wind was coming from the direction I was riding, I didn't hear them either.

The first rider passed on my right within about 15" to 16" of my scooter doing 60 to 65 mph. I was doing the speed limit which is 40. The second gave me about 2 feet of space and also passed on my right while simultaneously, the third rider passed on my left, stuck out his hand and smacked my mirror, spinning it around 90 degrees forward and breaking a washer inside the mirror mount. Miraculously, I didn't fall when the handlebar swerved to the right.

They were gone and around the next bend before I was able to collect my thoughts and realize what had happened.

Anyway, when I saw your post about the camcorder, I thought it would be a great idea to catch these young punks in the act if they ever tried this crap again! I was so disappointed when I discovered I couldn't get one because they only ship within the continental US.

After thinking about it for a while, I thought these little things would be a wonderful tool for our police force too! They could use them during traffic violation stops, while on patrol if they see a problem, during interrogations of witnesses, etc.

Each year at Christmas, I normally do something for my community. In previous years, I have donated toys and clothes to the children's home or donated money to the Red Cross or other community programmes. This year and because crime is increasing on our little island, I thought the Flip MinoHD's might make a wonderful gift for our police force.

I wrote to their customer service department and got a timely response. They suggested I call them. I did and after 43 minutes on the phone, I was finally able to order 10 Flip MinoHD's. 8 for our police force and 2 for me! I intend to mount one on the front and one on the back of my helmet! Those little punks have no idea what is in store for them if they ever mess with me again! Laughing emoticon

So many thanks to you Michael for postying your video. I hope to do the same soon! My order should be here sometime in the next week to 8 weeks ... depending on how severely the "Caribbean factor" affects shipping!
OP
@michael_moore avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
GTS(me)/GTV(wife)

Molto Verboso
@michael_moore avatar
GTS(me)/GTV(wife)
UTC quote
Weird story about being "swarmed" - I guess that must be a BVI phenom.

If you figure out how to attach the camera to a helmet I'd be very interested in hearing how you did it.
@el_josh_aka_ruby avatar
UTC

Addicted
GTS 250ie

Addicted
@el_josh_aka_ruby avatar
GTS 250ie
UTC quote
Michael Moore wrote:
Weird story about being "swarmed" - I guess that must be a BVI phenom.

If you figure out how to attach the camera to a helmet I'd be very interested in hearing how you did it.
Skydivers do it all the time. Not DOT though.
http://www.skysystemsltd.com/helmets/sidewinder_hc.php

Or you can make or buy a bracket to put on your helmet
http://www.paragear.com/templates/parachutes.asp?group=455&level=1
Scroll towards the bottom to see the L-shaped or square style brackets. You could just call this company too. They could point you in the right direction. Skydiving companies all have kick ass costumer service
Forum member supplied image with no explanatory text
OP
@michael_moore avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
GTS(me)/GTV(wife)

Molto Verboso
@michael_moore avatar
GTS(me)/GTV(wife)
UTC quote
Wow, that's a whole other world there. The bite switches are pretty cool!

The camera velcro did give me some ideas though. Thanks!
@el_josh_aka_ruby avatar
UTC

Addicted
GTS 250ie

Addicted
@el_josh_aka_ruby avatar
GTS 250ie
UTC quote
Michael Moore wrote:
Wow, that's a whole other world there. The bite switches are pretty cool!

The camera velcro did give me some ideas though. Thanks!
Yeah most of us don't drop the $500 bucks for camera helmets. The helmets serve very little purpose when skydiving. Other than blocking a stray foot or bumping the door on exit the helmets are pointless. I'm at work and don't have my helmet but there is a funny sticker on the back of my $200 helmet that pretty much says "this helmet will protect you from nothing" I'll post a picture when I get home. It's pretty funny.
$500 can pay for a lot of jump tickets so we just end up making our own. It's pretty easy. All you need is an L-bracket that hooks on to your helmet. Drill a hole in the bottom of it and then use a wing-nut style screw so that you can mount the camera via the threaded hole in the bottom of the caera.
@trafficjammer avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@trafficjammer avatar
UTC quote
"Swarming" is a seemingly amorphous, but deliberately structured, coordinated, strategic way to perform military strikes from all directions. It was also a term used in the late 1990's to describe gang attacks on lone individuals in the United States, Canada the UK and Australia.

It has never happened in the BVI before and I have never seen or heard of anything even remotely like it here before. But it was too well coordinated to be anything but a swarming. (The Caribbean is always about a decade behind the rest of the world ... "island time" don't cha know!)

I figured I would just use velcro to attach the cameras to my helmet. If that doesn't work, I imagine I can sew a cover/sleeve for the helmet with sleeves to fit the cameras and a small hole for the lens. Your head is higher and stays more level than the scooter, so I figured a helmet mount would be more practical in order to get good shots. It should also reduce the amount of vibration produced by the scoot. In addition, the shots you get will be exactly where you are looking rather than in the direction the scooter is facing.
@sfarchie avatar
UTC

Addicted
'08 GTS 250i.e., 1/2 '58 Allstate (RIP), '09 Ducati M1100S (rolly polly'd), '10 Ducati Streetfighter

Addicted
@sfarchie avatar
'08 GTS 250i.e., 1/2 '58 Allstate (RIP), '09 Ducati M1100S (rolly polly'd), '10 Ducati Streetfighter
UTC quote
This would be cool when I ride my GTS, but it'll probably look like slow motion when I ride my Monster.
@theoz avatar
UTC

Sir Frets-A-Lot
Vespa GT250ie/L, Honda Ruckus 50, Honda NT700V, Honda CB125

Sir Frets-A-Lot
@theoz avatar
OP
@michael_moore avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
GTS(me)/GTV(wife)

Molto Verboso
@michael_moore avatar
GTS(me)/GTV(wife)
UTC quote
sfarchie wrote:
This would be cool when I ride my GTS, but it'll probably look like slow motion when I ride my Monster.
Don't sweat it - the Monster is great on the coast and Mt. Tam, but it takes some getting used to. Just focus on being smooth and taking good lines, and the speed will come naturally.
UTC

Hooked
T100, DR650, GTS 350ie in my Future

Hooked
T100, DR650, GTS 350ie in my Future
UTC quote
Didn't know much about Mill Valley other than it being the home town of "BJ Honnicut" in the TV series "M.A.S.H." Beautiful country and great roads for touring...Thanks for posting.
@theoz avatar
UTC

Sir Frets-A-Lot

Sir Frets-A-Lot
@theoz avatar
UTC quote
pretty cool. I have a camera similar to the flip and I bought it for a similar reason. I haven't found a good way to mount it though.

I like the idea of the Hero system, but I dunno. I figure both will have serious "tear", which your FLIP does as well. So does my little camera. Oh well.
OP
@michael_moore avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
GTS(me)/GTV(wife)

Molto Verboso
@michael_moore avatar
GTS(me)/GTV(wife)
UTC quote
TheO.Z. wrote:
pretty cool. I have a camera similar to the flip and I bought it for a similar reason. I haven't found a good way to mount it though.

I like the idea of the Hero system, but I dunno. I figure both will have serious "tear", which your FLIP does as well. So does my little camera. Oh well.
Here are a few potential options:

External inline image provided by member with no explanatory text Link

I've used the first one with a regular video camera, and I wasn't too impressed. With the Mino it might do better, but it seems cheaply made. The main advantage is you can get it on and off quickly and it'll work on a variety of shapes.

The second one is by Bogen and is for clamping strobes and cameras to rails, so it is heavy duty, but might require handlebars to work.

The last one is a RAM mount, and you can buy the pieces separately, to effectively make any system you like. The parts are very well made and durable, and you can get GPS and iPhone mounts as well.

Let me know what you end up with, and how you like it.
@sfarchie avatar
UTC

Addicted

Addicted
@sfarchie avatar
UTC quote
Michael Moore wrote:
sfarchie wrote:
Don't sweat it - the Monster is great on the coast and Mt. Tam, but it takes some getting used to. Just focus on being smooth and taking good lines, and the speed will come naturally.
Thanks for the tip! If the MOB sets up a newb ride, I'll definitely go! I'll make sure I get the cam prior to the ride so I can film all you guys riding pass me. Razz emoticon
@mamarides avatar
UTC

Vespa GT200 (plum)

@mamarides avatar
Vespa GT200 (plum)
UTC quote
great video! I have to become a better rider before I start filming my trips, though.
UTC

Molto Verboso

Molto Verboso
UTC quote
Good riding...
Everyone seems to want to talk about gear alla time...
Me, I'd rather talk about the ride! Razz emoticon

Didn't watch the flic alla way thru, but liked what I saw. The rider here must've either attended MSF, or else read Proficient Motorcycling, because the corner carving appears to be excellent!
Instead of trying to round out all the curves, he (or she) dives deep into the apex, and then cuts sharply out (in as straight a line as possible) to the opposite side! Best way to take twisties! Good riding skills here, IMO...
OP
@michael_moore avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
GTS(me)/GTV(wife)

Molto Verboso
@michael_moore avatar
GTS(me)/GTV(wife)
UTC quote
Re: Good riding...
Chazzlee wrote:
Everyone seems to want to talk about gear alla time...
Me, I'd rather talk about the ride! Razz emoticon

Didn't watch the flic alla way thru, but liked what I saw. The rider here must've either attended MSF, or else read Proficient Motorcycling, because the corner carving appears to be excellent!
Instead of trying to round out all the curves, he (or she) dives deep into the apex, and then cuts sharply out (in as straight a line as possible) to the opposite side! Best way to take twisties! Good riding skills here, IMO...
Why thank you, Chazzlee! I've taken the MSF ERC and read Proficient Motorcycling I and II, but I think the biggest improvement in my cornering came from taking my motorcycle to track days. Being able to focus on the same 10-15 corners all day is invaluable, and teaches you a lot about the best way to get through a corner efficiently, and how much you can lean a bike.
@fuzzy avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
. . 2008 Blue MP3 400. . di Peluria Orso .... 1993 Kawasaki Vulcan 500 ....... 2013 Honda NC700XD; 2017 Versys X300

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@fuzzy avatar
. . 2008 Blue MP3 400. . di Peluria Orso .... 1993 Kawasaki Vulcan 500 ....... 2013 Honda NC700XD; 2017 Versys X300
UTC quote
Anyone tried one of these Flip Action Mounts? Saw it on Amazon.com. Pretty simple if it works.
Forum member supplied image with no explanatory text
OP
@michael_moore avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
GTS(me)/GTV(wife)

Molto Verboso
@michael_moore avatar
GTS(me)/GTV(wife)
UTC quote
Fuzzy wrote:
Anyone tried one of these Flip Action Mounts? Saw it on Amazon.com. Pretty simple if it works.
Nope, but if you do, let us know how it works out. It seems like it would work better on bicycles though.
@bonkers avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
'06 GTS (Grendel), '13 Honda NC700X (Ginger)

Molto Verboso
@bonkers avatar
UTC quote
Michael Moore wrote:
TrafficJammer wrote:

I got mine at Costco for 150 bucks, with a little neoprene case included. I don't know if you have Costco in the Virgin Islands, but if you do...
Funny! I was just oggling one of those yesterday in Costco. First time I had seen them and I was intrigued with their size, price and simplicity. Serendipity Fu!
@marc avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
06 GTS250. 00 Yamaha Vino airsal 70cc. 01 ET4 (wrecked). 67 Lambretta Vega125. 48 Beam Doodlebug Super. 1915 Board Track replica 80cc

Molto Verboso
@marc avatar
06 GTS250. 00 Yamaha Vino airsal 70cc. 01 ET4 (wrecked). 67 Lambretta Vega125. 48 Beam Doodlebug Super. 1915 Board Track replica 80cc
UTC quote
Wow, I wish I had seen the flip when I bought my Aiptek, were they out last summer?

It was only $149 and does 1080i HD, looks great on the Panasonic plasma but does get the shakes like the Flip when mounted on the scooter.

I got a Ram mount like the 3rd one in the pics above and mounted it on the crashbar.

Even the engine vibration makes it wobble.

Here's a lame attempt (first attempt) at movie making I did with it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dztLgpnUR94
@trafficjammer avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@trafficjammer avatar
UTC quote
Quote:
I have ordered a mount and will definitely let you know if it works out or not. I am waiting to receive the cameras before I try designing a helmet mount. Should be an interesting project. Laughing emoticon
@bonkers avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso

Molto Verboso
@bonkers avatar
UTC quote
marc wrote:
Wow, I wish I had seen the flip when I bought my Aiptek, were they out last summer?

It was only $149 and does 1080i HD, looks great on the Panasonic plasma but does get the shakes like the Flip when mounted on the scooter.

I got a Ram mount like the 3rd one in the pics above and mounted it on the crashbar.

Nice choice of music.
OP
@michael_moore avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
GTS(me)/GTV(wife)

Molto Verboso
@michael_moore avatar
GTS(me)/GTV(wife)
UTC quote
TrafficJammer wrote:
Quote:
I have ordered a mount and will definitely let you know if it works out or not. I am waiting to receive the cameras before I try designing a helmet mount. Should be an interesting project. Laughing emoticon
Yeah, it seems to me there are a couple of options for mounting to a helmet:
- find some way to fit a clamp to the helmet edge and stick the camera on that
- use an elastic band (like from dirt goggles) or heavy duty velcro to stick the camera directly onto the helmet.

I wouldn't want to drill any holes, as I think that might cause structural integrity problems.
@bonkers avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso

Molto Verboso
@bonkers avatar
UTC quote
Bonkers wrote:
marc wrote:

Nice choice of music.
Hey! Past Cannery Row, the aquarium, through Pacific Grove...what a great place for a mellow, cool-weather ride. I really love that area.
UTC

Hooked
2006 GTS 250ie

Hooked
2006 GTS 250ie
UTC quote
Bite switches! I have been wondering about such a device. Great video. Great thread. Thank you for sharing! Fin
@fuzzy avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@fuzzy avatar
UTC quote
Here is another camera option featured in the Jan/Feb 09 RoadBike Magazine in a section of Hot Products for the Holidays. http://www.epicstealthcam.com/index.html

They sell multiple mounts as well as waterproof housing for videos such as surfing.
UTC

Banned
GTS 250ie YELLOW N WHITE,Giallo Lime

Banned
UTC quote
Cam mounting for movies
Bonkers wrote:
marc wrote:

Nice choice of music.
I mounted my cam to the top of the light cowling on my GTS.
I placed a plexi-glass section on top and affixed the camera mount to it
and then the cam on top, it doesn't shake that much as seen in youtube.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mesBnKlWL-c
UTC

Banned

Banned
UTC quote
Re: Fooling around with a Flip Mino camcorder strapped to my
Michael Moore wrote:
I just got this video camera a few days ago and it's pretty remarkable for being so small and simple to use. I thought I might try attaching it via the RAM mount to my left mirror stalk and shooting some parts of my favorite ride.

As you can see, it does auto white balancing on the fly, so sometimes the color shifts mid shot. And when the road gets bumpy you could really use some kind of stabilizer. But all in all, pretty fun, plus I'm thinking I could get creative about placement with something so small and light.

[The ride is from Mill Valley, north of San Francisco, up Hwy 1 along the Pacific coast, then back over Mt. Tamalpais.]
I mounted my cam to the top of the light cowling on my GTS.
I placed a plexi-glass section on top and affixed the camera mount to it
and then the cam on top, it doesn't shake that much as seen in youtube.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mesBnKlWL-c
OP
@michael_moore avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
GTS(me)/GTV(wife)

Molto Verboso
@michael_moore avatar
GTS(me)/GTV(wife)
UTC quote
That is pretty smooth, but I also think your road is in better shape.

Interestingly, I did another video, this time with a clamp on the rack, facing the rear, and it seems steadier.

[In case you're wondering about the video, the SF Ducati Monster group I belong to did a "2-up" ride, and I decided to ride the Vespa, as the pillion seat of a Monster is famously uncomfortable. The group ended up being larger than expected, so I got asked to lead one of the groups. It was pretty funny, me on my big red GTS, leading a bunch of Ducatis.]
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0355s ][ Queries: 4 (0.0152s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]