@twodollarbills avatar
UTC

Enthusiast
Silver 2003 Stella

Enthusiast
@twodollarbills avatar
Silver 2003 Stella
UTC quote
So I don't know if I am going to get ripped apart for asking this... but I was looking at an online service manual for stellas because my stella likes to be at the "dot" and look like it is in neutral but...actually be in 1st or 2nd. I saw that whatever year scooter the service manual online is for they have a neutral indicator on the speedometer. Is it possible to buy a stella speedometer with a neutral indicator and hook it up on mine or would there not be the proper connections to do that??
@rover_eric avatar
UTC

1965 Vespa SS180, 1963 Lambretta LI150

@rover_eric avatar
UTC quote
1) Your gear selector cables just need to be adjusted so that the little batwing sits in the neutral notch when your tube at the headset is pointed at the neutral dot. I usually call my g-friend out to the garage when it's time to set this. I'll have her hold the dots together to form neutral at the headset ... and i'll tighten both of the cables down at the selector end of things. That way when she lets go and i'm done, it all lines up and the cables are tight. Then i do final adjustments with the little cable adjusters down at the selector box.

2) just about every p-series i'm aware of ( and thus, all stellas, i thought ) had a neutral indicator on the speedo display. On P series it was a little green dot.

It's basically just a tiny pressure switch that screws into the back of your selector box ( you'll notice this weird electrical boot hanging off the back of yours if you have a neutral indicator. ) A little springloaded ball-bearing type thing is depressed when the bike is in neutral and completes the circuit and lights the light. That sorta deal. If you don't have a selector box with a neutral indicator switch / harness with wires for one / speedo with a neutral indicator setup then you're outta luck.

that said, anyone who has owned a scooter more than 1 season will attest that they don't ever even look at the thing ( nor do many of them even WORK because the switches are half-plastic and tend to snap or fail ). So, it's one of those things most never use. Nice for the beginner, but most folks who know their bike well and know how to ride will know when it's in neutral by the feel and the sound.

-Eric
@sarah avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
Stella

Molto Verboso
@sarah avatar
Stella
UTC quote
I think I recall hearing that the earlier Stellas didn't have a neutral indicator but I'm not sure. My 2005 does have a neutral light but like Eric said, I don't think I've ever really looked at it or used it.
OP
@twodollarbills avatar
UTC

Enthusiast
Silver 2003 Stella

Enthusiast
@twodollarbills avatar
Silver 2003 Stella
UTC quote
Rover Eric wrote:
1) Your gear selector cables just need to be adjusted so that the little batwing sits in the neutral notch when your tube at the headset is pointed at the neutral dot. I usually call my g-friend out to the garage when it's time to set this. I'll have her hold the dots together to form neutral at the headset ... and i'll tighten both of the cables down at the selector end of things. That way when she lets go and i'm done, it all lines up and the cables are tight. Then i do final adjustments with the little cable adjusters down at the selector box.

2) just about every p-series i'm aware of ( and thus, all stellas, i thought ) had a neutral indicator on the speedo display. On P series it was a little green dot.

It's basically just a tiny pressure switch that screws into the back of your selector box ( you'll notice this weird electrical boot hanging off the back of yours if you have a neutral indicator. ) A little springloaded ball-bearing type thing is depressed when the bike is in neutral and completes the circuit and lights the light. That sorta deal. If you don't have a selector box with a neutral indicator switch / harness with wires for one / speedo with a neutral indicator setup then you're outta luck.

that said, anyone who has owned a scooter more than 1 season will attest that they don't ever even look at the thing ( nor do many of them even WORK because the switches are half-plastic and tend to snap or fail ). So, it's one of those things most never use. Nice for the beginner, but most folks who know their bike well and know how to ride will know when it's in neutral by the feel and the sound.

-Eric
Thanks, I will just do some adjusting. My speedo definitely doesnt have the light, but like you mentioned I am brand new to shifting on a scooter. I definitely understand though that eventually it will become second nature, I think it must be kind of like when I was learning to drive stick for my VW and how I used to look at the RPMs and now I just feel it, but for now, before acquiring that, it just would have been nice to have a little light, because there are definitely times when the dots are lined up and I release the clutch and stall out, that jolt is no fun, and kind of embarrassing! Thanks for the information!
@jcwhitney avatar
UTC

Hooked
Lambretta SX, Stella, Honda

Hooked
@jcwhitney avatar
Lambretta SX, Stella, Honda
UTC quote
2003 Stella had no neutral light. Adjust the batwing and you'll be golden. I use little thin Craftsman metric ignition wrenches, they work great. Like $10 on ebay.
@christos_x avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
No Scooter no more...

Molto Verboso
@christos_x avatar
No Scooter no more...
UTC quote
Rover Eric wrote:

Must be a US thang cos i've never seen a P series with this green neutral light of which you speak.

when your stopped and you think your in neutral do a little check every now and then, give the scoot a bit of revs (not too much though) and let the clutch out SLLLOOOWWWLYYY until it either bites and you feel the gears engage and a little bit of torque kick in (your in gear) or the scoot revs and no torque (your in neutral) if you do this every once in a while you'll soon get a feel for the little notch that is neutral (i still do this every now and then just to check myself and save me from those embaressing stall outs that happen when i'm just about to blast some chav in a Nova off the line )
@rover_eric avatar
UTC

@rover_eric avatar
UTC quote
christos x wrote:
Must be a US thang cos i've never seen a P series with this green neutral light of which you speak.
Here's the US speedo on the PRE-PX P200 ( 79-82 i think?) To the upper right of the word "Neutral" on this image is a little green light that turns on when you're in neutral. When the fuel gauge came out, they made the speedo the big PX style one with all the indicators INSIDE the speedo rather than seperate indicators on the headset.

External inline image provided by member with no explanatory text
@christos_x avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
No Scooter no more...

Molto Verboso
@christos_x avatar
No Scooter no more...
UTC quote
Rover Eric wrote:
christos x wrote:
Here's the US speedo on the PRE-PX P200 ( 79-82 i think?) To the upper right of the word "Neutral" on this image is a little green light that turns on when you're in neutral. When the fuel gauge came out, they made the speedo the big PX style one with all the indicators INSIDE the speedo rather than seperate indicators on the headset.

External inline image provided by member with no explanatory text
I dont see the image
@rover_eric avatar
UTC

@rover_eric avatar
UTC quote
christos x wrote:
I dont see the image
can you go to this link :

http://www.pbase.com/k4xy/image/13675449
@christos_x avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
No Scooter no more...

Molto Verboso
@christos_x avatar
No Scooter no more...
UTC quote
nows i sees it 8)
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0234s ][ Queries: 3 (0.0125s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]