OP
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
UTC quote
Hello all,

I'm having a bit of trouble with my gear shifter cable. The other day I went to adjust it and noticed that it was starting to come apart down by the batwing. I pulled the cable out of the housing at the top and snipped off the nipple of the top end cable. I then tried to pull the old cable out but it wasn't working. I then tried to pull more, but the inside twisty metal piece came out of the outter cable (snapped and broke). To make a long story short, I'm going to need one of these: http://www.scooterwest.com/item_detail/Vintage-Vespa-Cable-Complete-Shifter--63/2722/ and install it Once I get this thing installed correctly I can be out riding again...finally!

I tried to pull the outter cable through but it's not budging. I need help pulling the outter out completely and routing the new complete cable all the way through to top to the bottom. What is the best way about this? Any help here is much appreciated.

Thanks!
@ianp avatar
UTC

Destroyer of Worlds
LML Star 125, Vespa GT200

Destroyer of Worlds
@ianp avatar
UTC quote
To change the cable outer, tape the new cable to the end of the old one. Then, pull out the old one from the other end, which will pull the new one in along the same path through the body. To prevent this problem in the future, purchase a cable lube kit and make sure the cables are well lubricated.
@rover_eric avatar
UTC

1965 Vespa SS180, 1963 Lambretta LI150

@rover_eric avatar
UTC quote
Since it seems like your old inner is stuck, then you're unable to do the trick ...

http://www.scooterworks.com/001.pdf

So, in addition to using tape to tape the two outers together, i've seen someone take a wood screw ( the thin, black ones with the wide pitch threading ) and dremel off the heads of them so you basically have a long, pointy threaded shank.

You can then thread half of it into each end of the outer and use that to pull the new one into place.

I typically use tape as well, but i'm throwing out other options i've heard work.
@quasi-moto avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
SawStop

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@quasi-moto avatar
SawStop
UTC quote
That's an ingenious idea, Eric.
OP
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
UTC quote
Rover Eric wrote:
Since it seems like your old inner is stuck, then you're unable to do the trick ...

http://www.scooterworks.com/001.pdf

So, in addition to using tape to tape the two outers together, i've seen someone take a wood screw ( the thin, black ones with the wide pitch threading ) and dremel off the heads of them so you basically have a long, pointy threaded shank.

You can then thread half of it into each end of the outer and use that to pull the new one into place.

I typically use tape as well, but i'm throwing out other options i've heard work.
Exactly. The inner cable was stuck inside the outter and when I tried to pull the inner out, I somehow got the metal screw from the outter to come out as well and ruin it. Then, I tried to pull the outter out as well but it wouldn't come out. According to the tip guide in the link, it states that you need to remove both outter gear selector cables at the sametime so they can be removed. Is this why the 1 outter would not pull out because it's attached to the other outter gear cable?
@rover_eric avatar
UTC

@rover_eric avatar
UTC quote
BRAINSTORM!

I just remembered something. ...

if you have the ORIGINAL gear selector cables in your bike ( can tell, because the outers have almost a waffle-pattern in them ..it's very apparent ) then from the factory they came with the two gear selector cables CRIMPED together inside the frame with a weird copper crimp-band.

It is absolutely SHITTY. I fortunately find them when i'm doing a complete diassembly of a bike, where i'm hacking and slashing the cables and the old harness anyways because i'm installing all new.... so i'm going crazy with the tin snips anyways.

I wonder if that's your problem - why this isn't working for you.

Does this sound like your problem, or did i misread your response?
@the_deacon avatar
UTC

Enthusiast
'76 Rally

Enthusiast
@the_deacon avatar
'76 Rally
UTC quote
I was working on cable issues this weekend and having the same problem as VLBJS1.
And you are right Eric. It was that the cables were crimped together.

Do you know what the purpose of this was?
@rover_eric avatar
UTC

@rover_eric avatar
UTC quote
the deacon wrote:
Do you know what the purpose of this was?
They always try to keep the gear selector cables really close to eachother as they run through the frame. I don't know why they did that though, as it absolutely sucks when it's time to pull them.

Like finding a beak in your chicken mcnuggets.
@stl_stadtroller avatar
UTC

Hooked
'62 IWL Berlin w/Campi trailer, '68 Vespa SS180

Hooked
@stl_stadtroller avatar
'62 IWL Berlin w/Campi trailer, '68 Vespa SS180
UTC quote
Rover Eric wrote:
I just threw up in my mouth a little.

but yeah, it sux hairy donkey balls. That copper/brass or whatever crimp band snags on EVERY mo-fo'in thing in the frame on its way out.

prop your bike up, strap it down solid, and start yanking on'em like a MAN, until your shoulder pops out of socket. rinse. repeat.

This job is also fantastic for ruining your brand-new clean light grey hand grips
@the_deacon avatar
UTC

Enthusiast
'76 Rally

Enthusiast
@the_deacon avatar
'76 Rally
UTC quote
McNuggen it!
OP
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
UTC quote
Rover Eric wrote:
BRAINSTORM!

I just remembered something. ...

if you have the ORIGINAL gear selector cables in your bike ( can tell, because the outers have almost a waffle-pattern in them ..it's very apparent ) then from the factory they came with the two gear selector cables CRIMPED together inside the frame with a weird copper crimp-band.

It is absolutely SHITTY. I fortunately find them when i'm doing a complete diassembly of a bike, where i'm hacking and slashing the cables and the old harness anyways because i'm installing all new.... so i'm going crazy with the tin snips anyways.

I wonder if that's your problem - why this isn't working for you.

Does this sound like your problem, or did i misread your response?
I believe this may be the problem. At first I tried to pull the inner cable out but it wasn't coming out..instead I started to pull the metal spiral out of the outter resulting in ruining the outter cable. I then tried to pull the outter cable itself completely out but it wouldn't budge. After reading the link you gave me, it states that BOTH cables (outter) must be taken out at the same time ...so yeah..very shitty if you ask me. WTF do I do now since they are crimped together??
OP
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
UTC quote
StL_Stadtroller wrote:
Rover Eric wrote:

but yeah, it sux hairy donkey balls. That copper/brass or whatever crimp band snags on EVERY mo-fo'in thing in the frame on its way out.

prop your bike up, strap it down solid, and start yanking on'em like a MAN, until your shoulder pops out of socket. rinse. repeat.

This job is also fantastic for ruining your brand-new clean light grey hand grips
ROFL emoticon
That's classic.

Once I pull the old cables out...I can simply just route the new cables through with out them being crimped together? I'm still wondering why the hell they are crimped together??
@ianp avatar
UTC

Destroyer of Worlds

Destroyer of Worlds
@ianp avatar
UTC quote
VLBJS1 wrote:
StL_Stadtroller wrote:
Rover Eric wrote:

ROFL emoticon
That's classic.

Once I pull the old cables out...I can simply just route the new cables through with out them being crimped together? I'm still wondering why the hell they are crimped together??
I imagine it makes installation easier at the factory.
@scootermarc69 avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@scootermarc69 avatar
UTC quote
Replace both cables at once, why do the job again later. remove old cable inners ,slide exposed end of new cable inner into old outer. crimp it several times with wire cutter onto new inner. Don't pull like a MAN, finese like you are making love(gently forward,back a little when it catches, push pull, finese). If you are working with original cables consider just doing the clutch and throttle now as well (I would).
@starreem avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
07 GTS250(RIP), 13 GTS300, Several Lambrettas

Ossessionato
@starreem avatar
07 GTS250(RIP), 13 GTS300, Several Lambrettas
UTC quote
Cant. Resist.
Forum member supplied image with no explanatory text
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0157s ][ Queries: 4 (0.0097s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]