OP
UTC

GTS 250ie ~ Midnight Blue

UTC quote
Names patrick,

the facts; i have a gts 250ie with 4843 miles on it, it was serviced at 500, 2500, and recently at 4500 (about 3 weeks ago) the scooter was bought in march 2008 and is my only mode of transportation. i know for sure that the spark plug was recently changed at newport vespa (but i'm not sure if they changed the oil & air filter or inspected it for faults). it has an LV pipe, michellin pilot tires, top case and fly screen.

the problem; Recently after the service i noticed the sound of the bike changed, i ignored it thinking it was just the new spark plug. However, now everytime i accelerate or even go over a bump it sounds like the carburetors going to fall out of the bike, or at least thats the way it sounds, the leo roars with throttle then sputters as if its taking agonal breaths and is on its death bed before kicking back in. i'm worried either somthing going to fall off or the bike will fail. everything seems in the right place, other than the engine compartment isnt "clean".

i really have no idea what it is, so best bet is taking it back to newport tommarrow and asking them to have a look, then taking it to massimo and paying for another service (trust is an issue for me with vespa newport).

anyway, i'm just posting this to see if you guys have any input. if you've experienced this or have an idea, please reply... i'd be great if i can just tighten a bolt & make my fear of lossing somthing on the freeway disapear.

- patrick
btw, how do you guys wash out the engine compartment? pressure hose? pay someone?
@trafficjammer avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
2008 Teal LX125 ... 2007 Red LX150 ... 2010 Yellow LX125ie

Ossessionato
@trafficjammer avatar
UTC quote
I can't help you Patrick but I would also like to know about how to keep the engine compartment clean. If you do wash it out from time to time, is there anything you need to be careful of and do you use any cleaners like dish liquid or any other product to degrease the engine?
OP
UTC

UTC quote
heh

normally i drive it over to a wash it yourself carwash, let it cool down for 45 minutes until the engines air warm or touchable then flood it with the pressure washer hose. (no soap/detergent, just water.) then i drive it back home and clean it by hand.
@super-strada avatar
UTC

Gs 160 mk1 - Gts 250 - Ducati FE 900

@super-strada avatar
Gs 160 mk1 - Gts 250 - Ducati FE 900
UTC quote
I use " Simple Green " on my engine.
Let the motor cool down or better yet do it in the morning after it's sat all night. Cover the whole engine with the simple green and wash it down. Comes out great and it's a safe and green product...
Everybody wins......
@trafficjammer avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@trafficjammer avatar
UTC quote
Quote:
I use " Simple Green " on my engine.
I should have thought of that ... I used to use it on my boat. Thanks!
UTC

Hooked
2009 MP3 400

Hooked
2009 MP3 400
UTC quote
Have heard good things about Massimo.........was at the Vespa/Piaggio training in Oct. and one of the instructors there spoke highly of him. Don't know him personally but the Vespa crew there did.
OP
UTC

UTC quote
problem found behind the noise.

header pipe on the leo vince has a circumfrence crack. possible engine damage but unlikely.

vespa oceanside didnt return my stock exhaust when the leo vince was put on, so i dont have a replacement meaning it'll be picked up and sit at vespa oceanside until leo vince sends them a new header pipe to attach.

i wouldnt have cared about not having the stock if it were anything else, but considering they probly sold it for $200 profit and did not offer attaching a stock pipe while they order a new leo vince kinda "gets my goat". this leaves me without transportation until they can replace the header pipe, or replace the entire leo vince... if i have to pay for this bullshit i'm going to be heated.
⚠️ Last edited by Whiskey89 on UTC; edited 1 time
OP
UTC

UTC quote
Fritz wrote:
Have heard good things about Massimo.........was at the Vespa/Piaggio training in Oct. and one of the instructors there spoke highly of him. Don't know him personally but the Vespa crew there did.
everyone should go to massimo for service...

no exceptions.
@jimc avatar
UTC

Moderaptor
The Hornet (GT200, aka Love Bug) and 'Dimples' - a GTS 300

Moderaptor
@jimc avatar
The Hornet (GT200, aka Love Bug) and 'Dimples' - a GTS 300
UTC quote
Whiskey89 wrote:
vespa oceanside didnt return my stock exhaust when the leo vince was put on, so i dont have a replacement meaning it'll be picked up and sit at vespa oceanside until leo vince sends them a new header pipe to attach.
Then it's down to them to put back a stock exhaust - they had no right to retain your original. But I have to say you were not wise to forgo asking for it back... You do know how much they cost?
OP
UTC

UTC quote
i'm aware of how much they cost, and honestly i could give a shit less if this hadn't happened.

the thing thats really pissing me off is the fact that i complained to vespa newport during service about a funny "noise" and they said it was just back fires from the spark plug.

this situation is just untimely, unlucky and pissing me off every time i think about it and how this could have been avoided.
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0100s ][ Queries: 3 (0.0016s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]