OP
UTC

Vespa GTS 250 ie

Vespa GTS 250 ie
UTC quote
I still have a chance to purchase the 3 yr extended warranty but I have not got enough info either way. Thanks
@judy avatar
UTC

World Traveler
2007 LX150 Daring Plum Leonardo Da Vespa

World Traveler
@judy avatar
2007 LX150 Daring Plum Leonardo Da Vespa
UTC quote
If you bought your scooter between oct 20 and nov 30 2008 piaggio is giving people a free extended warranty. Check with your dealer. Can't help ya on the warranty if you have to buy it. I'm thinking on the GTS ya don't need it but then again if you use it once it pays for itself. Sorry to have made things worse
@geo-vesp avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
PX150 Serie America, T5 Classic, Harley Iron 883

Ossessionato
@geo-vesp avatar
PX150 Serie America, T5 Classic, Harley Iron 883
UTC quote
My .02 - I would pass on the extended warranty personally. I think shite can happen anytime but your ride is pretty solid and if you have good karma you should come out OK!
@snapshot05 avatar
UTC

WHOoligan
1985 PX200E Arcobaleno : 2010/14 GTS300 S: RIP GTS250 @ 40K

WHOoligan
@snapshot05 avatar
1985 PX200E Arcobaleno : 2010/14 GTS300 S: RIP GTS250 @ 40K
UTC quote
I bought mine from one shop over another because if was 50 bucks cheaper and they offered me a 3 year warr over the other guys 2 year(plus he threw in a floor mate). Im very glad i did.

Items replaced in the first year under warr:

Seat Latch
Rear axle seal
Seat
@joker avatar
UTC

Enthusiast
SYM - GTS 250 / Suzuki DL 650 - Black Beauty

Enthusiast
@joker avatar
SYM - GTS 250 / Suzuki DL 650 - Black Beauty
UTC quote
how much more do you have to pay?
I would extend the guarantee you never know when and what can happen.......
@vespasfw3 avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
2006 Vespa GTS250ie, 2004 Vespa ET4, 2022 Royal Enfield Himalayan, 2001 Kawasaki W650, 2023 Honda Trail 125.

Ossessionato
@vespasfw3 avatar
2006 Vespa GTS250ie, 2004 Vespa ET4, 2022 Royal Enfield Himalayan, 2001 Kawasaki W650, 2023 Honda Trail 125.
UTC quote
I bought a 3 year extended warranty on the GTS --- I think it was around $300, and I also bought a 3 year premium maintenance plan -- that is a local dealer thing --- for about $400.

The extended warranty will cover disasters. I am just approaching the two year mark and no disasters.

The premium maintenance plan covers all scheduled maintenance for three years parts and labor. Oil changes, roller changes, belt changes, inspection, everything regardless of mileage. Since I put a lot of miles on I will get a couple belt changes and lots of oil changes for that price. High mileage is not typical of Vespa owners so I am a loss for my dealer.

Normally I would not buy this kind of stuff but I got the GTS right after destroying my LX150 in a fit of self maintenance so I was ripe....

You can read more on that lovely event at [url=http://vespalx150.blogspot.com/2007/01/non-riding-adventure.html]NON-RIDING ADVENTURE[/url]
@oldswimcoach avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
Vespa GT 200, Harley Electra Glide Ultra

Molto Verboso
@oldswimcoach avatar
Vespa GT 200, Harley Electra Glide Ultra
UTC quote
I'd skip it - unless this is your only vehicle and you will put a lot of miles on it (like 10K per year lot of miles).

Somebody somewhere did a cost/benifiet analysis and Piaggio is (statistically) going to make some money on each warranty sold.

What this means is their (Piaggio's) analysis is each machine will have less maintenance costs than the cost of the insurance over the period covered.

Sort of like Vegas. Sure some folks win a million bucks from time to time, odds are high your not one of them. ...but the house ALWAYS wins.
@scooter_d avatar
UTC

Addicted
GTSie 250 - Black Its the New Red

Addicted
@scooter_d avatar
GTSie 250 - Black Its the New Red
UTC quote
if i were you I would. My GTS is 2.5 years old and has sprung a coolant leak. It will require new gaskets. The cost of this repair would have paid for the warranty. Unfortunately, my dealer did not tell me about the warranty.
⚠️ Last edited by Scooter_D on UTC; edited 1 time
@jimc avatar
UTC

Moderaptor
The Hornet (GT200, aka Love Bug) and 'Dimples' - a GTS 300

Moderaptor
@jimc avatar
UTC quote
If I was in the US I wouldn't bother with the extended warranty on a GTS - I certainly would with an MP3 though! The GTS is all proven technology, no funnies to surprise anyone.
@windbreaker avatar
UTC

Banned
29,000 miles on my atlantic pastel green 2007 GTS 250

Banned
@windbreaker avatar
UTC quote
VESPAsfw3 wrote:
I bought a 3 year extended warranty on the GTS --- I think it was around $300, and I also bought a 3 year premium maintenance plan -- that is a local dealer thing --- for about $400.

The extended warranty will cover disasters. I am just approaching the two year mark and no disasters.

The premium maintenance plan covers all scheduled maintenance for three years parts and labor. Oil changes, roller changes, belt changes, inspection, everything regardless of mileage. Since I put a lot of miles on I will get a couple belt changes and lots of oil changes for that price. High mileage is not typical of Vespa owners so I am a loss for my dealer.

Normally I would not buy this kind of stuff but I got the GTS right after destroying my LX150 in a fit of self maintenance so I was ripe....
Interesting, your maintenance plan. Which schedule do they go by--the dealer-preferred one in the generic warranty book, or the workshop-equivalent one in the specific owner's manual?

You can read more on that lovely event at [url=http://vespalx150.blogspot.com/2007/01/non-riding-adventure.html]NON-RIDING ADVENTURE[/url][/quote]
@witch avatar
UTC

Moderatrice Strega

Moderatrice Strega
@witch avatar
UTC quote
I got the extended warranty for my GTV, but I did it during the promotion so I didn't have to pay. I figure I'm not losing anything, so it certainly couldn't hurt. Even if I did have to pay for it, I'd seriously consider it. I tend to get hit with Murphy's Law with those kinds of things. If I have it, I won't need it, ya know? I see it as sort of a different type of "insurance."

Here's a question about a Vespa warranty... If I were to move significantly far away from my original dealer (not that I have any plans to do so), would my scooter still be covered under the factory warranty by a different shop, if I could produce papers proving the date of purchase?
@vespasfw3 avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@vespasfw3 avatar
UTC quote
windbreaker wrote:
Interesting, your maintenance plan. Which schedule do they go by--the dealer-preferred one in the generic warranty book, or the workshop-equivalent one in the specific owner's manual?

You can read more on that lovely event at [url=http://vespalx150.blogspot.com/2007/01/non-riding-adventure.html]NON-RIDING ADVENTURE[/url]
[/quote]

They go by the maintenance schedule that appears in the shop manual. There are things not in agreement between the various books. All in all though it is a good deal if you put a lot of miles on.

If I could only get them to consider tires routine maintenance...
@windbreaker avatar
UTC

Banned

Banned
@windbreaker avatar
UTC quote
Thanks for that response. It supports what I have believed all along: that the generic schedule in the warranty booklet is NOT the required schedule.

Is your maintenance package a Piaggio product or is it aftermarket?
@vespasfw3 avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@vespasfw3 avatar
UTC quote
windbreaker wrote:
Thanks for that response. It supports what I have believed all along: that the generic schedule in the warranty booklet is NOT the required schedule.

Is your maintenance package a Piaggio product or is it aftermarket?
My maintenance package is something offered by the dealer themselves and not a Piaggio or other wider company package. The downside I guess is if the dealer went under...

As far as maintenance schedules go I have been confused on more than one occasion when the owners manual conflicted with the shop manual. The dealer always goes by the shop manual.
@jimc avatar
UTC

Moderaptor

Moderaptor
@jimc avatar
UTC quote
There are three 'books':

Owners manual - usually correct but can have been superseded. Some dealers seem deaf and blind to the supersession. Whatever, *this* is the service schedule, regardless of what an individual dealer may say to try to make you pay over and above. Read the wording carefully, not all 'services' are required for warranty, especially the 'oil and pads check only' one.

Warranty booklet - generic, just use any old page, cross out the printed mileage and add the right one from above.

Workshop manual - usually (not always) has the same info as the owner's manual - but often the dealer may be using an out of date printed version, not the latest on-line one, and even those can be incorrect.
@irishtim avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
2005 Genuine Stella 150, 2008 Genuine Buddy, 2013 Piaggio BV 350, 2014 Piaggio Fly 150 3v

Ossessionato
@irishtim avatar
2005 Genuine Stella 150, 2008 Genuine Buddy, 2013 Piaggio BV 350, 2014 Piaggio Fly 150 3v
UTC quote
no
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0171s ][ Queries: 3 (0.0073s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]