OP
UTC

Lurker

Lurker
UTC quote
Hey, Ive recently turned 16 and I was looking into buying a Vespa hopefully.
Im looking to spend £1000-1500, with a scooter with an engine size of 50 cc or possibly bigger.
Is this possible to get a Vespa for this much? that is reasonably new and in a good conidiotn and if so what models?
Thanks alot for your time.
@jimc avatar
UTC

Moderaptor
The Hornet (GT200, aka Love Bug) and 'Dimples' - a GTS 300

Moderaptor
@jimc avatar
The Hornet (GT200, aka Love Bug) and 'Dimples' - a GTS 300
UTC quote
Welcome - congrats on being 16.

50cc is all you are allowed until you are 17, but it's way better than a pedal-cycle!

For your first bike I really recommend getting a second-hand slightly scruffy 50cc from a dealer, there should be plenty around for under a grand. Why scruffy? Because you will drop it, and you are going to sell it as soon as you are 17, either for a 125 or (as most sadly do) a car. Why from a dealer? Because it will have a warranty of some sort - vital for a newcomer to these things.

First steps - get your provisional licence, then the CBT. That'll set you back GBP100 for starters.

Then get a bike - any Piaggio 50cc will be just fine - avoid those thought of as 'cool' by any mates - this would mean it's a thief magnet. Dismiss all thoughts of getting it de-restricted - this will void any insurance, as you'd be riding outside the conditions of your licence, and yes they do check...

While you are still 16, do the theory test, get it under your belt.

When you're 17, get the 125 that you fancy (by then you'll know which one) and take the practical test - useful because you can then take pillions and give the GF a lift home. You'll be amazed how popular you will be with your own transport.

Enjoy it for a couple of years and then get whatever size of automatic bike you like!
@genie avatar
UTC

Gobshite Shiva
Kymco Downtown 300i the 'Dolphin Noise'

Gobshite Shiva
@genie avatar
Kymco Downtown 300i the 'Dolphin Noise'
UTC quote
what jimc said. get a cheap beater - i got one of my ET4s for £400 on ebay. dealers are the best option, but you can get amazing bargins on gumtree and other online sites, especially at this time of year. if you're going this route, make sure you've got a knowledgeable mate/parent/etc. who can check the scooter out before you buy, to make sure it's not been thrashed. don't buy anything if it doesn't come with a logbook and the proper registration documents, and avoid scooters that have been sitting idle for ages.
UTC

Banned
GTS 250ie YELLOW N WHITE,Giallo Lime

Banned
GTS 250ie YELLOW N WHITE,Giallo Lime
UTC quote
Get the 50cc
I myself started with a KYMCO 50cc and it lasted till the engine
blew a piston, 3825 miles, next I purchased an ET4 in 2003
and got 25,000 miles out of it(Hard miles) and then I sold it in 2008
and now I ride my GTS 250ie and love it. I know by experience
that if I had stated with the larger scooter I would have crashed,
lots of power between each size scooter. I learned a lot on the 50cc.
8)
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0081s ][ Queries: 3 (0.0014s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]