@ianp avatar
UTC

Destroyer of Worlds
LML Star 125, Vespa GT200

Destroyer of Worlds
@ianp avatar
UTC quote
I'm pretty much settled on getting an aluminium Pinasco 177 kit this winter, in advance of some long-distance touring during rally season next year.

Anyone here have any experience with the Pinasco kit as a bolt-on? I'm mostly looking for an increase in uphill torque, but am also curious about the kind of speed gains I might see. I know the porting and gearing becomes a limiting factor, but at this point I'm just going to bolt-on, along with a Sito+ and 24/24 carb.
@quasi-moto avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
SawStop

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@quasi-moto avatar
SawStop
UTC quote
I have one on my Sprint project bike motor, which was a P125 motor. I don't have any first hand knowledge yet though, so I'll be interested to hear too.
OP
@ianp avatar
UTC

Destroyer of Worlds

Destroyer of Worlds
@ianp avatar
UTC quote
Yeah, I'm still undecided on whether to rebuild the old 125 motor and port it, or to bolt-on to the new 150.

Advantages to the 150 include electronic ignition, cosa clutch, and EFL gears.

Advantages to the old 125 include not giving a fuck about blowing it up.

Decisions, decisions...

⬆️    About 8 months elapsed    ⬇️
@rudy812 avatar
UTC

Hooked
2005 Px 150 canadian series

Hooked
@rudy812 avatar
2005 Px 150 canadian series
UTC quote
I bought the pinasco 177 for the same reason and application, I will be using, for now, the stock SI 20/20 with 108 jet and the already installed sito plus exhaust. I have no experience when it come to performance upgrades; however, during my research and reads, it's an excellent, high quality product, and if it is keep as a bolt on, it is very realible and lasting; It has a wider power band and increase torque but looses at the top end power and speed compare to the mally and polini. Mally and Polini focus on top end power and other engine mods are recommended. Top speed for the Pinasco 177, at wide open throttle, on a sound PX motor is claimed at 125 km/h or 77mph. I think that claim seems too high for me considering that I am 330lbs. If I can get great torque and power at lower end and especially at the most useable mid range for city traffic and hills; and be able to cruise at 100 km or 65mph without any over heating, I will be one happy camper. I believe the Pinasco 177 Aluminium can do that and thats why I bought and going to install it on my 05 PX 150 . Now I have discovered that they brought back an improved 177 cast iron. So what now???

Best regards
OP
@ianp avatar
UTC

Destroyer of Worlds

Destroyer of Worlds
@ianp avatar
UTC quote
rudy812 wrote:
I bought the pinasco 177 for the same reason and application, I will be using, for now, the stock SI 20/20 with 108 jet and the already installed sito plus exhaust. I have no experience when it come to performance upgrades; however, during my research and reads, it's an excellent, high quality product, and if it is keep as a bolt on, it is very realible and lasting; It has a wider power band and increase torque but looses at the top end power and speed compare to the mally and polini. Mally and Polini focus on top end power and other engine mods are recommended. Top speed for the Pinasco 177, at wide open throttle, on a sound PX motor is claimed at 125 km/h or 77mph. I think that claim seems too high for me considering that I am 330lbs. If I can get great torque and power at lower end and especially at the most useable mid range for city traffic and hills; and be able to cruise at 100 km or 65mph without any over heating, I will be one happy camper. I believe the Pinasco 177 Aluminium can do that and thats why I bought and going to install it on my 05 PX 150 . Now I have discovered that they brought back an improved 177 cast iron. So what now???

Best regards
Go with the aluminium, but you won't cruise at 65, especially at your weight. I'm 280 lbs and could only get 60mph out of basically the same setup as yours. It does cruise really well at 50-55 though and has much better acceleration than stock.
@rover_eric avatar
UTC

1965 Vespa SS180, 1963 Lambretta LI150

@rover_eric avatar
1965 Vespa SS180, 1963 Lambretta LI150
UTC quote
If it were me, i'd put it on the 125 and do it right. You've got your runner right now ... so use your bench engine and really MATCH THE PORTS ... and do it up proper. You'll be happier in the end, i think ...as you'll have 2 doable engines you can readily swap out.
@mike_m avatar
UTC

Hooked
1986 Vespa PX 125E, Pinasco 177

Hooked
@mike_m avatar
1986 Vespa PX 125E, Pinasco 177
UTC quote
I installed the Pinasco 177 on my PX125e and have out roughly 500kms on it thus far. The kit has performed very well for the most part and the torque increase (especially up-hills) is a HUGE improvement. I haven't really had it flat out, but the top speed, and crusiing speed has definately increased.

Currently Im running this kit in conjunction with a Sito+ exhaust. I may install a real expansion chamber type exhaust in the future and possibly install a taller 4th gear if possible.
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0124s ][ Queries: 3 (0.0045s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]