Barbara Rally was coming up and I had
planned to ride up so I had Massimo change
it out for me.
8)
UTC

Molto Verboso

Molto Verboso
UTC quote
I had mine changed, @ 4200 miles, and, surprisingly, aside from some glazing, it's like new.
@imwithhappy avatar
UTC

Addicted
06 GT200(black graphite)

Addicted
@imwithhappy avatar
06 GT200(black graphite)
UTC quote
I changed mine at 8k and ride the piss out of my GT. WFO on the interstate and hard off the lights. Not a crack or split anywhere when I changed it.
OP
UTC

Banned
GTS 250ie YELLOW N WHITE,Giallo Lime

Banned
UTC quote
The belt I'm on now
imwithhappy wrote:
I changed mine at 8k and ride the piss out of my GT. WFO on the interstate and hard off the lights. Not a crack or split anywhere when I changed it.
AVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVA
I plan on leaving the belt thats on it till it brakes.
I want to see how far it will take me, I start off fast
full throttle from every light, cars in my rear veiw mirror.

VAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAV
@woodenhead avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
GT60

Molto Verboso
@woodenhead avatar
GT60
UTC quote
Re: The belt I'm on now
YardSale wrote:
I plan on leaving the belt thats on it till it breaks.
I want to see how far it will take me, I start off fast
full throttle from every light, cars in my rear veiw mirror.
Please allow me to try to talk some sense into you.

When your belt does go, you could be left stranded miles from home. You could be in the fast lane, making a turn in the middle of an intersection, passing, or in another place where having your rear wheel lock up could prove to be fatal. Don't be stupid. Often belt failure just means coasting to a stop. Occasionally it doesn't.

cheers
@ifixjets avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
01 ET2 - 01 ET4 -- 05 GT200L / 05 PX150 / 1986 Honda CH150 Deluxe.

Ossessionato
@ifixjets avatar
01 ET2 - 01 ET4 -- 05 GT200L / 05 PX150 / 1986 Honda CH150 Deluxe.
UTC quote
I had a drive belt shred with very low miles on it, in the car pool lane , at 70+ mph, not fun.
@jimc avatar
UTC

Moderaptor
The Hornet (GT200, aka Love Bug) and 'Dimples' - a GTS 300

Moderaptor
@jimc avatar
UTC quote
Check for 'wisps' every time you ride. Just takes a glance, could save your life.
UTC

Hooked
T100, DR650, GTS 350ie in my Future

Hooked
T100, DR650, GTS 350ie in my Future
UTC quote
I recall someone on this forum, while on a club ride, had a belt come apart and subsequently load up in the casing locking up the rear wheel at speed. It caused him to loose control and resulted in a significant accident. Might want to rethink the whole 'drive it to failure concept', then again it's your a*s.
@davidh avatar
UTC

Hooked
2009 Piaggio BV250 & 2013 BMW C650 GT

Hooked
@davidh avatar
2009 Piaggio BV250 & 2013 BMW C650 GT
UTC quote
jimc wrote:
Check for 'wisps' every time you ride. Just takes a glance, could save your life.
Care to elaborate? I'm a relatively new owner and was thinking belt degredation or failure was more of an inconvenience rather than a potential life threatening event. What should us newbies be on the lookout for?
@joel_hamilton avatar
UTC

Addicted
'07 GTS (RIP) '09 GTS Ducati M750

Addicted
@joel_hamilton avatar
'07 GTS (RIP) '09 GTS Ducati M750
UTC quote
I had a belt go in a very fast corner.
last reading on the GPS was 66mph, when the rear wheel locked up momentarily and stood me up.
I went off the road, and flew through the air for a long time. Like long enough that i had time to think, twice, "wow, I am STILL fu%^&ing going!"
That destroyed my favorite scoot.
Then I got on another scooter and blew the belt on it passing a semi at about 70mph and had to move my weight back to push through the "chunks" i could feel passing into the clutch and gettin shredded more and more as i coasted back around the truck and over to the right hand side where I could get on the brakes and stop. That was that.
Luckily, no locking up right next to 18 wheels of doom going 60mph a couple feet away... That would have been really sucky.
The drive belt is the weak link in the modern vespa. treat it with respect. I will be swapping mine out more often than I need to.
Nothing to fear, but just swap it if there is even a chance of it messing with you. That will keep the ride fun.
@jimc avatar
UTC

Moderaptor

Moderaptor
@jimc avatar
UTC quote
DavidH wrote:
jimc wrote:
Care to elaborate? I'm a relatively new owner and was thinking belt degredation or failure was more of an inconvenience rather than a potential life threatening event. What should us newbies be on the lookout for?
If you have passed the suggested service interval for a belt change (and many of us do), when you approach your scooter just take a glance at the underneath rear of the transmission cover where there is an air vent. If the belt is thinking about giving up the ghost it will have thoughtfully shred some of the outer strands of Kevlar - these will be wafting in the breeze, almost like cobwebs. So if you see what looks like grey candy-floss (US = cotton candy? Dunno) being excreted at the rear end - get the belt changed in the next few hundred miles and do absolutely NO fierce accelerations in that time.

Why do I say grey? Although the Kevlar starts out yellow, by the time it has ground against the bits that tore it off it will be dirty grey, promise.
OP
UTC

Banned

Banned
UTC quote
Absulutly correct
jimc wrote:
DavidH wrote:
jimc wrote:
If you have passed the suggested service interval for a belt change (and many of us do), when you approach your scooter just take a glance at the underneath rear of the transmission cover where there is an air vent. If the belt is thinking about giving up the ghost it will have thoughtfully shred some of the outer strands of Kevlar - these will be wafting in the breeze, almost like cobwebs. So if you see what looks like grey candy-floss (US = cotton candy? Dunno) being excreted at the rear end - get the belt changed in the next few hundred miles and do absolutely NO fierce accelerations in that time.

Why do I say grey? Although the Kevlar starts out yellow, by the time it has ground against the bits that tore it off it will be dirty grey, promise.
I saw the wisps once and didin't know where it came from, but after I learned I was able to warn Anna with her X9 in Sept 2007 while up in Santa Barbara.
OP
UTC

Banned

Banned
UTC quote
How long will a belt last GTS250cc
jimc wrote:
DavidH wrote:
jimc wrote:

---------------
How many miles do they recommend for the kevlar belt?
------------------------
@jimc avatar
UTC

Moderaptor

Moderaptor
@jimc avatar
UTC quote
I don't know off-hand for the GTS250ie without checking, but the X9 250 Evo has a 18,000km (12,000 mile) suggested belt interval. My first lasted 15,000 miles before I chickened out before a 1,400 mile France trip - but it still looked pretty good.

As it is checked at every service (along with the rollers), changing it is only the cost of a new belt, no extra labour cost at the dealers - and it is easy to do yourself with the appropriate tools if out of warranty.

One caveat - those bikes that have an idler pulley between the variator and the driven pulley - check the surface (should not be worn or have excess 'black' on it) and the bearing on that. The belt really dumps on this pulley on throttle-off, and if not in pristine condition can lead to the 'teeth' on the belt being ground away - another possibly nasty cause of failure.
@gogogordy avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
Reprehensible Misinformant

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@gogogordy avatar
UTC quote
I'm approaching 8K on mine, and 3 weeks ago had the dealer pull the cover off and it's like new in there. I'll change out at 10K regardless, but YS, are you doing to it? Slow down, enjoy the scenery Razz emoticon
@jess avatar
UTC

Petty Tyrant
0:7 And counting

Petty Tyrant
@jess avatar
UTC quote
mattgordon wrote:
I'm approaching 8K on mine, and 3 weeks ago had the dealer pull the cover off and it's like new in there. I'll change out at 10K regardless.
I think you're living on borrowed time. Seriously. Short of having threads of kevlar hanging off the belt, you generally can't tell, visually, that a belt is going to go soon.
OP
UTC

Banned

Banned
UTC quote
mattgordon wrote:
I'm approaching 8K on mine, and 3 weeks ago had the dealer pull the cover off and it's like new in there. I'll change out at 10K regardless, but YS, are you doing to it? Slow down, enjoy the scenery Razz emoticon
I have Massimo do all my work, I just don't want to
miss something I took off and not have it go back on.
2 more yrs on my Piaggio warrinty. I would like to get 10,000
miles on one belt.

@imwithhappy avatar
UTC

Addicted
06 GT200(black graphite)

Addicted
@imwithhappy avatar
06 GT200(black graphite)
UTC quote
YardSale wrote:
mattgordon wrote:
I have Massimo do all my work, I just don't want to
miss something I took off and not have it go back on.
2 more yrs on my Piaggio warrinty. I would like to get 10,000
miles on one belt.

Change the belt. It doesn't take that long, about 3hrs, or pay someone to change it.
There are just some things you shouldn't push.

Belts almost if not always fail at speed when they are stretched and hot. Rear wheel locked at speed is NO FUN.

You can't change your head when you crack it on the pavement.
@benito avatar
UTC

2010 Dragon Red GTS 300 Super, 2018 Grigio Titanio Piaggio Liberty S 150

@benito avatar
2010 Dragon Red GTS 300 Super, 2018 Grigio Titanio Piaggio Liberty S 150
UTC quote
I had my rollers and belt changed at 12000 kms just in case. I didn't want to take a chance with the belt going suddenly without warning.
@bobovespa avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
21 75th Anniv. Primavera, 10 GTS Super 300, 64 Allstate, 61 VNB, 61 GL, 61 Lammy LI 125 Mahi Shriner, 57 Lammy LD125
Location: Baltimore-Washington-Asbury Park at the Jersey Shore

Molto Verboso
@bobovespa avatar
21 75th Anniv. Primavera, 10 GTS Super 300, 64 Allstate, 61 VNB, 61 GL, 61 Lammy LI 125 Mahi Shriner, 57 Lammy LD125
Location: Baltimore-Washington-Asbury Park at the Jersey Shore
UTC quote
Ifixjets wrote:
I had a drive belt shred with very low miles on it, in the car pool lane , at 70+ mph, not fun.
Thank you Brian. I believe Jess was right behind Joel when his belt shredded on a curve during the Cannonball. Apparently Joel is lucky to be alive.
@theoz avatar
UTC

Sir Frets-A-Lot
Vespa GT250ie/L, Honda Ruckus 50, Honda NT700V, Honda CB125

Sir Frets-A-Lot
@theoz avatar
Vespa GT250ie/L, Honda Ruckus 50, Honda NT700V, Honda CB125
UTC quote
Bobovespa wrote:
Ifixjets wrote:
Thank you Brian. I believe Jess was right behind Joel when his belt shredded on a curve during the Cannonball. Apparently Joel is lucky to be alive.
Yeaup. You should see his bike.

As Jess noted, there is no way just by looking to see if a belt is good, only if it is bad. D'oh.

Belt failure sucks a fat one.
@gogogordy avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@gogogordy avatar
UTC quote
jess wrote:
mattgordon wrote:
I'm approaching 8K on mine, and 3 weeks ago had the dealer pull the cover off and it's like new in there. I'll change out at 10K regardless.
I think you're living on borrowed time. Seriously. Short of having threads of kevlar hanging off the belt, you generally can't tell, visually, that a belt is going to go soon.
I agree....and suspicioned I was due. They said "no" I didn't. I'd rather be safe than sorry. Is 8K the factory replacement interval? I thought so...
@jess avatar
UTC

Petty Tyrant

Petty Tyrant
@jess avatar
UTC quote
mattgordon wrote:
I agree....and suspicioned I was due. They said "no" I didn't. I'd rather be safe than sorry. Is 8K the factory replacement interval? I thought so...
I think it's been downgraded to 7500 miles, but don't quote me on that.
@jess avatar
UTC

Petty Tyrant

Petty Tyrant
@jess avatar
UTC quote
Bobovespa wrote:
Ifixjets wrote:
I was. He is. I thought for sure that CB was over only one day in, due to the death of one of the riders. "Spectacularly fatal" is how I'd describe it. Was quite surprised to find Joel standing up in a hole in the desert where he landed, yelling "Fuck! Where's my bike?!?"
@snapshot05 avatar
UTC

WHOoligan
1985 PX200E Arcobaleno : 2010/14 GTS300 S: RIP GTS250 @ 40K

WHOoligan
@snapshot05 avatar
1985 PX200E Arcobaleno : 2010/14 GTS300 S: RIP GTS250 @ 40K
UTC quote
jimc wrote:
One caveat - those bikes that have an idler pulley between the variator and the driven pulley - check the surface (should not be worn or have excess 'black' on it) and the bearing on that. The belt really dumps on this pulley on throttle-off, and if not in pristine condition can lead to the 'teeth' on the belt being ground away - another possibly nasty cause of failure.
Change my first belt at 5900 miles and noticed on my idler pulley a build up of belt on it and a ridge, after that I lost take off and top end. So at 10,000 miles replaced the belt, rollers and pulley and the top end and take off came back.

Def the weak link with the GTS, why is it that Harleys tranny belts are built proof, take on more torque and are exposed to the elements and our belts so wimpy?

Manny
UTC

Enthusiast
GTS250

Enthusiast
GTS250
UTC quote
What makes this weak link wear more? City driving or highway and can some one explain why?? Timothy
@imwithhappy avatar
UTC

Addicted
06 GT200(black graphite)

Addicted
@imwithhappy avatar
06 GT200(black graphite)
UTC quote
scionman wrote:
What makes this weak link wear more? City driving or highway and can some one explain why?? Timothy
Highway driving for extended amounts of time will weaken the belt more so than city driving. Extended amount of time at Highway speeds cause the belt to heat up and weaken the rubber.

Piaggio has set the interval of belt replacement to cover all types or riding. You will hear of people riding their belts for 12k or more, some people have belts break at 5k or less. There is no set formula for riding type vs. belt longevity. Be aware, your belt will more likely fail at high speed than it will taking off from a stop light. and it is also likely that your rear wheel will lock up when your belt goes...

Aftermarket Kevlar belts have not proven more reliable or longer lasting than the stock belt. This from first hand experience from multiple mechanics on here that see many bikes and the wear and tear they go through.

Change your belt if you see cracks, or change it at the regularly scheduled interval.
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0176s ][ Queries: 3 (0.0020s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]