@sh1bby69 avatar
UTC

Hooked
MP3 500

Hooked
@sh1bby69 avatar
MP3 500
UTC quote
So it started to rain in SoCal yesterday. I got off of work and it was about 11:30PM and it was poring. I hopped on the Scoot bike and rode it home. I was a bit nervous cause it was my first ride in the rain. I had water proof riding pants, jacket, boots, and gloves. All set for winter riding. My friend took lead in her Jetta cause she wanted to make sure I made it half way safely. All I can say is that it was awesome. I took it easy since it was my first ride in the rain but I felt comfortable but still tense. I took the turns easy along with being aware of the white paint like the crosswalk lines and the turning arrows. I know they have less traction. I honestly had no problems at all but I had a difficulty riding with a visor that was beaded with water. Is there any suggestions with riding in the rain and how to keep the visor clear of water if possible??
@fuzzy avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
. . 2008 Blue MP3 400. . di Peluria Orso .... 1993 Kawasaki Vulcan 500 ....... 2013 Honda NC700XD; 2017 Versys X300

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@fuzzy avatar
. . 2008 Blue MP3 400. . di Peluria Orso .... 1993 Kawasaki Vulcan 500 ....... 2013 Honda NC700XD; 2017 Versys X300
UTC quote
Rain in southern California? How did you know what it was?

Rain is common here in Georgia.We have been in drought conditions, but that is a relative term.

I use "Raincoat". It makes the water bead up and roll off the visor. Tried Rainex but it did not work well on the plastic. (Rainex has a warning about using on plastic but my helmet manufacturer says it is OK on their visors.) Raincoat is a paste and specifically formulated for plastic. Lasts a long time. It comes in small foil pouches. A pouch is good for multiple applications. Just fold and clamp the pouch to keep from drying out after opening.
UTC

Addicted
Demon Black 500

Addicted
Demon Black 500
UTC quote
Just watch out for roads that get a little rain but not enough to wash away the slippery stuff. You can be taking it slow and easy and still drop the bike in bad road conditions.
@alba avatar
UTC

Hooked
MP3 500, Kawasaki Versys, KLX250S, Buddy 150 Pamplona

Hooked
@alba avatar
MP3 500, Kawasaki Versys, KLX250S, Buddy 150 Pamplona
UTC quote
+1 on what Kabuleiro says

I use RainX and it certainly works but I am concerned about the long term effect on my visor.

The first time in rain is certainly exciting
My first time cars were hydroplaning off the road. Suddenly occurred to me I had never thought about hydroplaning on a bike before. Thankfully I did not have any "moments". Since then I have had plenty of opportunities to get toughened up and now it is no big deal. It was a great feeling though the first time I was leaning into corners at 60mph in the rain feeling 100% secure. Made me glad once more I had went for the MP3.
@schlagle avatar
UTC

Addicted
MP3 500, Buddy 125

Addicted
@schlagle avatar
MP3 500, Buddy 125
UTC quote
I've always used RainX on my visor's works great but you have to apply fairly often. I'm curious how long that Raincoat stuff lasts.

I too recently rode mine in the rain, though it was a very light drizzle. Handled like a dream. Still rock solid and secure around the corners. One thing I really like about the 500 is two headlights. It just makes me feel like I'm more visible when it's dark and/or dreary out.
@heinlein avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
MP3 500, Ducati ST4s, Honda Silver Wing

Ossessionato
@heinlein avatar
MP3 500, Ducati ST4s, Honda Silver Wing
UTC quote
Here's a link to a couple of interesting visors.
http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcycle-helmets/visors/akuma-gemini-aegis-visor/
I think the aegis should be great in the rain.
UTC

Hooked
Piaggio MP3 400

Hooked
Piaggio MP3 400
UTC quote
So funny you should post about your first time in the rain as it was mine too. Unfortunately I hadn't expected it as they said it was supposed to rain yesterday not today. So I got caught with nothing waterproof. Fortunately it wasn't pouring. Still I took everything slowly and the turns very easy. I remember every manhole cover and avoided the paint where possible. My scoot held up just fine. I was a little wet when I got back but a hot shower cured whatever chills I may have had.

Dale
@rille avatar
UTC

Enthusiast
MP3 250

Enthusiast
@rille avatar
MP3 250
UTC quote
Nice.

One myself could only wish to have all that sun and good condition here in Sweden.

Its just a couple of month we actually have nice sunny weather (and you can se how the roads explode with bikes then) adn the rest of the time its a mix.
@chillicrab avatar
UTC

Hooked
MP3 398.9

Hooked
@chillicrab avatar
MP3 398.9
UTC quote
It's the monsoon season again. you have NO idea how much rain we get here. rain beading on visor? just wipe it off with left hand and move on. ankle deep water? just keep the throttle open. raincoat? it's what i wear 100 out of 365 days of the year. miserable? hell yeah, just have to get used to it.
@sh_lim avatar
UTC

Addicted
mp3 250

Addicted
@sh_lim avatar
mp3 250
UTC quote
chillicrab wrote:
It's the monsoon season again. you have NO idea how much rain we get here. rain beading on visor? just wipe it off with left hand and move on. ankle deep water? just keep the throttle open. raincoat? it's what i wear 100 out of 365 days of the year. miserable? hell yeah, just have to get used to it.
Crying or Very sad emoticon Know exactly what you mean about the rain. Its been raining everyday the past one month or so. And it will be extra gears when that happens. And thanks to this thread, I now know that there are state of the art visor out there. Cheers!
@chillicrab avatar
UTC

Hooked
MP3 398.9

Hooked
@chillicrab avatar
MP3 398.9
UTC quote
SH Lim wrote:
chillicrab wrote:
Crying or Very sad emoticon Know exactly what you mean about the rain. Its been raining everyday the past one month or so. And it will be extra gears when that happens. And thanks to this thread, I now know that there are state of the art visor out there. Cheers!
and if Raincoat is that good at preventing rain beads, we might as well use it as a bike polish. Imagine the effort saved from wiping down the bike after each rainfall. Razz emoticon
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0136s ][ Queries: 3 (0.0048s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]