OP
@boondocks avatar
UTC

Hooked
black 09 GTS 250 Super "Miranda", 05 Stella (sold)

Hooked
@boondocks avatar
black 09 GTS 250 Super "Miranda", 05 Stella (sold)
UTC quote
Newbie questions..

Using the correct method of filling the tank (insert fully, handle over pet carrier area, squeeze slowly) I've twice now had an overspill on GTS 250 Super- but only about a teaspoon's worth, not even enough to drip much onto the paint. It mainly gets the platform with the seat latch and gas cap threads wet.

If this keeps happening, will I get stalls after awhile? Is there a way to avoid it...like maybe squeezing lever very slightly to decrease velocity of flow?

My dealer's attitude on EVAP stuff is during warranty period, if it ain't broke don't fix it, but if the canister does get filled and causes stalls, sure they won't mind having EVAP pulled.

Second question: my mpg each filling swing wildly from 65mpg to 103mpg. But total gallons averaged over the nearly 1250 miles works out to about 80mpg. Isn't that a little high? I haven't gone above about 65 mph since I don't do Interstates highways.
@witch avatar
UTC

Moderatrice Strega

Moderatrice Strega
@witch avatar
UTC quote
In my few experiences filling up so far, I've had the same issue of overflow. I've had scoots before, so some of it is just getting used to this particular bike. But with the 250, I've found that even when it overflows, there's still a good sized air bubble in the tank. I filled right up to the brim the other day, and freaked a little wondering if there would be enough expansion room when I closed the cap. I bumped the scoot on the side several times, and it blooped a few bubbles, enough to get the level down quite a bit. I rode down the street a ways, then stopped to check how the gas tank was doing (and to see if it needed any more air to escape), and it was just fine. And yeah, once I get past a gallon during fill-ups, I squeeze it as lightly as I can, and that helps.

Along those lines, my little Aprilia Scarabeo 50 had one design element better than the Vespa. It had a slightly larger drain hole next to the gas tank, and was connected to a small rubber hose that went all the way down through the bike to the bottom. So if you overflowed enough to get it on the panel surrounding the top of the tank, it just drained down to the ground. On the Vespa, it just seems to drain down the back inside of the frame and on top of the engine. Lovely to have to clean that out. I'll have to check and see if a little tube could be made to fit on there, like my Scarabeo.
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0087s ][ Queries: 3 (0.0027s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]