UTC

Molto Verboso

Molto Verboso
UTC quote
jimc wrote:
I understood the reason most EU diesel models weren't exported to the US was because the diesel at the US pumps wasn't quite up to the standard required for the more modern engines. I'm not quite sure where I got this from so it might be duff gen. I do know that the US refining plants aren't set up for producing enough diesel for 'light duty' use. They expect their diesel product to be used by the 'big ole rigs' and that's it.
We do have the low-sulfur diesel here...As far as if refineries are up to producing enough of it, I've been told by a ham radio buddy who travels around working at various refineries that they have in fact added capacity for that, but I don't have any figures. I know that Ford will soon be offering a light duty 4.4l diesel (similar to the 3.6l built in the U.K.) in the F150 so I would assume the capacity to refine the fuel must be there.
@2011super avatar
UTC

Banned
2021 GTS 300 Touring

Banned
@2011super avatar
2021 GTS 300 Touring
UTC quote
Diesel and gas are both products produced in the production of Crude Oil. The Crude is sent into the Cracker where it is superheated (about 900 degrees F). This breaks down the hydrocarbon molecules and when they cool enough to reform at different levels of the Cracker, you get all the different products from Crude oil.

You cannot get Gasoline from Diesel Fuel anymore than you can get Propane from Jet fuel. They all have different specific gravities, chemical properties and ingredients. Part of what makes up Diesel fuel's "lubrication" capabilities is Parafin wax. (that white wax that Grandma use to seal her jelly and jam jars with) Another by-product of Crude Oil.

Crude Oil comes in many viscosities and colors as well. I have seen it black and the consistancy of tar and I have loaded it from the tank and it tested out the same weight, color and chemical make-up as unleaded gasoline. Many are and always have thought that diesel was a by-product of gasoline.
@louisiana_geezer avatar
UTC

Addicted
Honda Shadow VLX (Fly 150 sold)

Addicted
@louisiana_geezer avatar
Honda Shadow VLX (Fly 150 sold)
UTC quote
When I was earlier referring to the logistics of diesel fuel, I was meaning that only a small percentage of filling stations actually offer the product.

To the poster who described the popularity of diesels in the area where he lives, I would not doubt you, but your area is not typical to the USA either. By and large, Americans would resist a move to diesel for a number of reasons.
UTC

Molto Verboso

Molto Verboso
UTC quote
Louisiana_Geezer wrote:
When I was earlier referring to the logistics of diesel fuel, I was meaning that only a small percentage of filling stations actually offer the product.

To the poster who described the popularity of diesels in the area where he lives, I would not doubt you, but your area is not typical to the USA either. By and large, Americans would resist a move to diesel for a number of reasons.
No doubt, the infamous Olds 350 diesel would be chief among those reasons, but I figure most Americans realize that was a LONG time ago.

Most of us have been behind a VW Jetta diesel at a stoplight, and we are aware of how far diesel has come. Once Ford starts building the F150 diesel, and they become commonplace on American roads, diesel will cease to be a "captive market" of big rigs and will be priced accordingly.

A 30+ mpg full size truck is indeed a good thing!
@theoz avatar
UTC

Sir Frets-A-Lot
Vespa GT250ie/L, Honda Ruckus 50, Honda NT700V, Honda CB125

Sir Frets-A-Lot
@theoz avatar
Vespa GT250ie/L, Honda Ruckus 50, Honda NT700V, Honda CB125
UTC quote
ChadB wrote:
Once Ford starts building the F150 diesel, and they become commonplace on American roads, diesel will cease to be a "captive market" of big rigs and will be priced accordingly.

Does that mean to you that diesel will go up or down in price? Cos right now it's like, $3/gal in CA, which is higher than premium. Before the massive price drop, it was as expensive, if not more so, than premium.
OP
@teacherquinn avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@teacherquinn avatar
UTC quote
TheO.Z. wrote:
ChadB wrote:
Once Ford starts building the F150 diesel, and they become commonplace on American roads, diesel will cease to be a "captive market" of big rigs and will be priced accordingly.

Does that mean to you that diesel will go up or down in price? Cos right now it's like, $3/gal in CA, which is higher than premium. Before the massive price drop, it was as expensive, if not more so, than premium.
When I bought my Jetta 4+ years ago, diesel was the cheapest pump at the station. I'd like to see that happen again. TDI drivers are like Vespa riders. We're very loyal to our product.

Trent-You're my new Wikipedia for all things oil/gas/diesel related.
@2011super avatar
UTC

Banned
2021 GTS 300 Touring

Banned
@2011super avatar
2021 GTS 300 Touring
UTC quote
Quote:
Trent-You're my new Wikipedia for all things oil/gas/diesel related.
I see you caught that.....
UTC

Molto Verboso

Molto Verboso
UTC quote
TheO.Z. wrote:
ChadB wrote:

I'm thinking, more passenger vehicles on the roads burning diesel, will mean cheaper prices for diesel fuel. A light duty pickup, like the F150, getting good mileage with an efficient diesel V6, will be quite popular.
@sethwas avatar
UTC

Hooked
Aprilia Scarabeo

Hooked
@sethwas avatar
Aprilia Scarabeo
UTC quote
FWIW,
The mini cooper has taken the podium the past 3 years in SCCA Nationals racing. G stock and H stock classes in Solo and Pro solo.

Also it competes well in NASA racing too.

Seth
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0259s ][ Queries: 3 (0.0160s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]