@boomiemct avatar
UTC

Addicted
2006 Vespa LX150

Addicted
@boomiemct avatar
2006 Vespa LX150
UTC quote
My LX150 is dying (slowly) at idle but riding great otherwise. The air filter looks clean, I have oil and this still happens if I unplug the secondary air system. Other then checking the idle (I don't have a tach) is there anything else I should be looking for?

It may or may not be relevant but it just got cold here. I rode yesterday (when it was colder) without problems though.
@michael_h avatar
UTC

2006 LX150 "Amadora"

@michael_h avatar
2006 LX150 "Amadora"
UTC quote
Do you mean that unless you are giving the scooter some gas, it just dies, or that the scooter idles and then slowly sputters and stops?
OP
@boomiemct avatar
UTC

Addicted
2006 Vespa LX150

Addicted
@boomiemct avatar
2006 Vespa LX150
UTC quote
Basically this morning I started it up and went inside to let the engine warm up. I then put on my gear and hopped on it and rode away. The engine was running just fine. When I went the six blocks to the first stop light and came to a stop the engine idled for a minute, sputtered and died. From that point on if I let it idle it would sputter and die. I made it home and put the scoot away.

Now after work I came home and checked the SAS and air filter (both okay as far as I can tell) and tried to start it up again. Same thing, starts up and idles fine while warming up, then dies at idle. If I hold the throttle open just a tiny crack it will be fine.
@michael_h avatar
UTC

2006 LX150 "Amadora"

@michael_h avatar
2006 LX150 "Amadora"
UTC quote
I can't help you with that one, I'm afraid. I had the problem with the scooter dying immediately unless you keep giving it a little gas while idling. Doesn't seem to be the same situation that you have. Sorry.
@rudegirl957 avatar
UTC

Addicted
2007 Sky Blue LX150, 1994 Hyosung Rally

Addicted
@rudegirl957 avatar
2007 Sky Blue LX150, 1994 Hyosung Rally
UTC quote
When that happened to me, I just bumped up the idle a bit and it stopped happening.
@genie avatar
UTC

Gobshite Shiva
Kymco Downtown 300i the 'Dolphin Noise'

Gobshite Shiva
@genie avatar
Kymco Downtown 300i the 'Dolphin Noise'
UTC quote
it's not uncommon to have to adjust the idle speed a few times a year, as the air temperature changes.
@papa_smurf avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
GTS250ie, ET4

Molto Verboso
@papa_smurf avatar
GTS250ie, ET4
UTC quote
sounds like a clogged idle jet. thats what happened to both my wife and I one time.
OP
@boomiemct avatar
UTC

Addicted
2006 Vespa LX150

Addicted
@boomiemct avatar
2006 Vespa LX150
UTC quote
Papa Smurf wrote:
sounds like a clogged idle jet. thats what happened to both my wife and I one time.
Do you just run cleaner through the engine or what?

My first thought was just to increase the idle but I didn't want to be covering up another potential problem.
@papa_smurf avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
GTS250ie, ET4

Molto Verboso
@papa_smurf avatar
GTS250ie, ET4
UTC quote
Actually the vespa dealer took the carb loose and rotated it ( still on the manifold) until the bowl was pointing up. He took the bowl and float off and pushed a tiny steel wire thru the jet. He used a steel wire off a small wire brush and its diameter was really tiny.
OP
@boomiemct avatar
UTC

Addicted
2006 Vespa LX150

Addicted
@boomiemct avatar
2006 Vespa LX150
UTC quote
Well I don't know if it is because the weather warmed up or because I turned the idle screw 1/8 clockwise but it runs great now. I'll probably run it tomorrow morning when it's cold to make sure.
@beergeek avatar
UTC

Hooked
Black '07 LX 150

Hooked
@beergeek avatar
Black '07 LX 150
UTC quote
Might be a dirty jet, but more likely bumping up your revs will be the fix (at least it was for me when I had the same happen). Also, be sure you are warming up your bike longer than usual now that its cold out.
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0113s ][ Queries: 3 (0.0029s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]