OP
UTC

MP 3 500

MP 3 500
UTC quote
When I bought my MP 3 500 in Louisville several weeks ago, I had the dealer install a BMW power socket (they also specialize in Beemers). I was told I could simply plug in a vest with a BMW connector or maintain the battery without removing it with a battery tender. Well, I don't have the vest, but I did pick-up the BMW plug-in charging system unit. I haven't actually tried it out though, because I noticed a little note on the packaging when I got home that says "BMW motorcycles and earlier charge through the auxiliary power plug. Remove battery from 2005 and later BMW motorcycles." So, do I go ahead and plug it in, or do I need to remove the battery? I ask because once I open the package I may not get a refund.

RJ
@jimc avatar
UTC

Moderaptor
The Hornet (GT200, aka Love Bug) and 'Dimples' - a GTS 300

Moderaptor
@jimc avatar
UTC quote
Who can tell? What are its specifications?
UTC

Enthusiast
MP3 400 and MP3 500

Enthusiast
MP3 400 and MP3 500
UTC quote
I have a BMW connector (powerlett) installed on a MP3 250 and trickle charge the battery thru it using either a BMW charger or a Battery Tender. The BMW plug I have is hot and direct wired to the battery. The problem with newer BMW bikes is the electrical system runs thru a canbus and you can have charging problems with it charging thru the canbus.

Hope that helps
Jill
@awdnut avatar
UTC

MP3-500

@awdnut avatar
MP3-500
UTC quote
Re: BMW Advanced Battery Charging System for MP3 500
rj40 wrote:
When I bought my MP 3 500 in Louisville several weeks ago, I had the dealer install a BMW power socket (they also specialize in Beemers). I was told I could simply plug in a vest with a BMW connector or maintain the battery without removing it with a battery tender. Well, I don't have the vest, but I did pick-up the BMW plug-in charging system unit. I haven't actually tried it out though, because I noticed a little note on the packaging when I got home that says "BMW motorcycles and earlier charge through the auxiliary power plug. Remove battery from 2005 and later BMW motorcycles." So, do I go ahead and plug it in, or do I need to remove the battery? I ask because once I open the package I may not get a refund.

RJ
AFAIK, the later BMW start using the Canbus system wiring which will shut down the auxillary power plug/socket within a certain period of times after ignition switch off hence rendering the plug/socket unusable for power/charging (with ignition off). In my former K75S the power/aux plug can be used for power or for charging anytime. On my 2005 K1200R, I have a battery tender quick plug wired directly to the battery for charging purpose.

HTH
OP
UTC

MP 3 500

MP 3 500
UTC quote
BMW Advanced Battery Charging System for MP3 500
Thanks for the counsel. I went ahead and tried the device. It has two indicator lights: one red, one green. Steady red indicates normal charging; blinking green, 80% charged. Steady green, fully charged and moving to float. I can't get past the blinking green, no matter how long gadget is plugged in. I suppose I would have done better with the regular Battery Tender with BMW connector.
UTC

BV500 or MP3 400

BV500 or MP3 400
UTC quote
Depending on how old you battery is and it's condition, you may have a weak/bad battery, and it will never come up to a full charge. This happened on my VW bus. Still started, but would never fully take a charge. I ruined a good altinator, because it was always charging a weak battery. With a new altiinator "and" new barrery, no problems since.
OP
UTC

MP 3 500

MP 3 500
UTC quote
End of story: I was able to solve the problem. After trying initially for several hours, I plugged the BMW device in again, this time, letting it stay on all night and most of this morning; then, going out to the garage, I saw that steady green, indicating that the battery is now on a floating charge. Like one of you, I found out I have, indeed, a hot plug. I can't say in words how convenient this is not to have to take out the battery for the winter. And one of these days, I can get that heated vest and even ride in the winter. Thanks again for all your help.

RJ
UTC

Enthusiast
MP3 400 and MP3 500

Enthusiast
MP3 400 and MP3 500
UTC quote
Glad you got everything working. For heated clothing I would recommend the Warm and safe jacket! My small jacket packs down very small and is extremely warm. I also have a bmw heated vest, but you would be amazed what heat on your arms does. My jacket actuallu packs smaller than the vest, I just leave it under the seat when I am not wearing it. Cheers, Jill
OP
UTC

MP 3 500

MP 3 500
UTC quote
Thanks for your tip, Jill. I went to their site, but it appears you have to attach to the battery, which I want to avoid. Aerostich seems to have a price compatible vest and/or jacket that simply plugs into the
BMW power socket. I see you're based in Irvine, CA. I was out there 15 years ago (Univ. of CA). I can't imagine you'd need too much to keep warm in your neck of the woods, save maybe when you get that desert chill in the evening.

RJ
UTC

Enthusiast
MP3 400 and MP3 500

Enthusiast
MP3 400 and MP3 500
UTC quote
With the Warm n Safe jacket you need to buy the Heat-troller, then you can plug into the BMW type plug. I have the Single Portable Heat-troller Coax plus a Coax to BMW adapter. I have a BMW plug just below the seat. I actually like this set up because I often just leave the BMW plug in the outlet and plug/unplug at the Coax (I hope that makes sense!).

When you purchase the Heat-troller you get the connector to the battery, no need to use this if you already have a plug.

I wear the jacket all winter. I am a total wimp and get cold very easily (5'7" 110lbs). On some rides I can easily go from the ocean at say 55 degrees to the mountains at 8,000ft 30 degrees, down to the desert at 80 degrees, then back home in the cold fog at night. With the heated jacket I just turn it on/off as I want, always stay nice and warm.

Aerostich has nice stuff but their vests and jacket are much thicker (husband had one).

The people at warm n safe are really nice and helpful, just give them a call. I actually had them remove the connectors for the heated gloves from the jacket, they just added bulk and I never wear heated gloves.
Cheers,
Jill
⬆️    About 8 years elapsed    ⬇️
UTC

Lurker

Lurker
UTC quote
MP3 Charging
Hi Im working on my MP3 500ei and im having trouble checking the charging system. usually i would hook a meter up to the battery and accelerate the scooter up to 2000rpm but the MP3 has a safety system that prevents the back wheel from spinning, thus preventing me from checking voltage output. if theres a way to bypass this or a better way to check please reply.
Thankyou.
@madison_sully avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
MP3 500, GTS 250 (both 2008 MY), 2013 Piaggio BV 350, 2014 Can Am Spyder RT

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@madison_sully avatar
MP3 500, GTS 250 (both 2008 MY), 2013 Piaggio BV 350, 2014 Can Am Spyder RT
UTC quote
Re: MP3 Charging
Electra wrote:
Hi Im working on my MP3 500ei and im having trouble checking the charging system. usually i would hook a meter up to the battery and accelerate the scooter up to 2000rpm but the MP3 has a safety system that prevents the back wheel from spinning, thus preventing me from checking voltage output. if theres a way to bypass this or a better way to check please reply.
Thankyou.
Turn the tilt lock off and put it on the centerstand.
UTC

Lurker

Lurker
UTC quote
MP3 500 PIAGGIO
AFAIK, the later BMW start using the Canbus system wiring which will shut down the auxillary power plug/socket within a certain period of times after ignition switch off hence rendering the plug/socket unusable for power/charging (with ignition off). In my former K75S the power/aux plug can be used for power or for charging anytime. On my 2005 K1200R, I have a battery tender quick plug wired directly to the battery for charging purpose.
@jimc avatar
UTC

Moderaptor

Moderaptor
@jimc avatar
UTC quote
Electra wrote:
Thankyou.
You turn the tilt-lock off by double-clicking to the right.
@buckeye_marksman avatar
UTC

Hooked
MP3 500

Hooked
@buckeye_marksman avatar
MP3 500
UTC quote
Madison Sully wrote:
Put it on the centerstand and turn the tilt lock off by rapidly tapping the lock switch to the right several times...
@klaborde avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
2009 MP3/250, 2012 GTS Super 300ie

Ossessionato
@klaborde avatar
UTC quote
I explored that BMW Power connector when investing in Heater Clothing.
Some came standard with the BMW Power plug...
Hated it...
I cut all the ends off and went with the Dual-Pole that the Battery Jr uses.

I retrofitted all my 12V Cig Adapters to Dual-Lit USB on the Bike for easy plug in of GPS, Cell Phones, etc... Most everything today uses USB so my Dual Ones have both 2.1 Amp and the 1.0 Amp.

For Sitting in the Garage Parked, I use the Battery Jr type Dual-Pole Connectors.
The size of the Wire's they use in the Harness can handle 20 Amps easily.
So I have one under the Seat for my carry with me Air Compressor, over -night charging, and I have an adapter where I can plug into the end to have 4 extra USB connections under the Seat, or a Cig Adapter if I really had too.

I recently went a 600 Mile Trip last year. and that under the seat power came in very handy to charge things while Riding. When I go a Distance, I have to carry a Wi-Fi Cellular Hub, LapTop, and another Phone for work, so had plenty access to keeping this stuff charged. My Bike could supply Wi-Fi to anyone who needed it.

Keith,
Marietta, GA
@klaborde avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@klaborde avatar
UTC quote
Electra wrote:
Hi Im working on my MP3 500ei and im having trouble checking the charging system. usually i would hook a meter up to the battery and accelerate the scooter up to 2000rpm but the MP3 has a safety system that prevents the back wheel from spinning, thus preventing me from checking voltage output. if there's a way to bypass this or a better way to check please reply.
Thank you.
Signal Dynamics Heads-Up Display.
It's a single LED that changes colors that tells you how your Charging System is doing and if your Battery is staying charged. I have one on all my bikes accept the 2016 MP3/500 ABS that has a nice Voltage Meter on the Dash.
I have my LED mounted on the Dash connected to Headlight Relay. I think it was like a 1/8" hole to drill, and you push the LED through. It has a LED connector that works well, very easy install.
The Module is velcro mounted under the Dash.
Google it to learn more.

Keith,
Marietta, GA
@roadster avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
Kymco AK550

Molto Verboso
@roadster avatar
Kymco AK550
UTC quote
Madison Sully wrote:
Electra wrote:
Thankyou.
Or place a weight on the seat over the sensor.
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0188s ][ Queries: 3 (0.0070s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]