OP
UTC

Lurker
2001 et4 150cc

Lurker
2001 et4 150cc
UTC quote
Hey there-

I've been trying to change the oil on my gf's 2001 ET4 150cc, and I'm having a real hard time loosening the oil drain plug. The original owner had the oil changed by the dealer (Herb Chambers in Boston), and I'm wondering if they overtorqued the brass drain plug when they put it back on. I can't find a six point 24mm stubby box wrench, so I'm using a 12 pt, and when I try to loosen the plug, the wrench is "biting" into the brass a bit more than I like. (I've had to work with "rounded" plugs on other bikes, and it's no fun. I don't want to be the cause of this one.)

How much effort should I have to exert on the plug, anyway? The dealer wants $100 for an oil change- that's pretty rediculous...

Also, does anyone have a link to a site that has 24mm stubby 6pt box wrenches, that aren't part of a larger set?

Also, are there any recommendations for independent shops for modern Vespas? Most that I've found online focus on the vintage stuff...

Thanks a lot! I know how forum vets get when anyone asks about oil changes, but I didn't see any topics about oil drain plugs and torque..
@addicted avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
Consume Less & Share More

Ossessionato
@addicted avatar
Consume Less & Share More
UTC quote
The materials used are a tip-off to the amount of force one should apply to tighten the oil drain plug. The plug is made of brass in an effort to protect the aluminum casing's threads from being stripped. The idea is that the brass oil drain plug's threads will be sacrificed.
Go out and buy a good 24mm box wrench. It's a lot cheaper than $100, and it's reusable.
@torontovespatech avatar
UTC

2006 Fly 150, 1962 Puch 250 SGS,1958 Vespa VB1

@torontovespatech avatar
2006 Fly 150, 1962 Puch 250 SGS,1958 Vespa VB1
UTC quote
I have to agree with Gary.

Get a nice 24MM box wrench and that should do it.

I have had more than my share of stubborn drain plugs on the ET range.

Some times you have to put some serious elbow grease on the plug to get it out.

Once you get it off make sure the o-ring is in good shape and the threads on the plug and the case are in good order.

If not replace both parts.
UTC

Hooked
Vespa GTS 250

Hooked
Vespa GTS 250
UTC quote
You can buy a single socket from Sears. I had a 12point 24mm socket for
my Passat. I rounded the drain plug on one part . Then bought single socket from Sears. You might not be able to loosen the drain plug with a stubby 6point box wrench. The torque for my GTS drain plug is 24-30 nm.
Maybe you need a wrench on your scooter, not sure on how much room you have.

Tom
@ericalm avatar
UTC

Wiki Moderator
LX 190, Aurora Blue + Stella FOUR STROKE FURY! + '87 Helix

Wiki Moderator
@ericalm avatar
LX 190, Aurora Blue + Stella FOUR STROKE FURY! + '87 Helix
UTC quote
I had to abandon my Saturday morning attempt at my first oil change because of improper/inadequate tools. I couldn't even get the muffler off -- a naked hex key just wasn't cutting it. So it's off to get a socket and a box wrench and a small strap wrench...

I did manage to remove, clean and replace the air filter. Not a huge task but for me it's a mechanical triumph!
@farsideman avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
2005 Vespa GT 200

Molto Verboso
@farsideman avatar
2005 Vespa GT 200
UTC quote
I used a Craftsman long-handled socket wrench with a 24mm socket to remove/install my drain plug, and large slip-joint pliers to remove the oil filter. PepBoys Auto Parts also sells slip-joint pliers with very sharp teeth. You need a 2" or larger opening on the pliers. New filter is only hand-tightened, of course. My worst problem was cleaning up all the oil that ran down the center stand onto the driveway. I used newspaper to no avail. Next time I will pour a large pile of cat litter under the center stand before removing the plug and filter. I also wore disposable latex gloves, which I had to change several times.
UTC

Hooked
Vespa GTS 250

Hooked
Vespa GTS 250
UTC quote
FarSideMan,

I have had to use cat litter several times . I finally got a side stand on my GTS. Also, got a new lower drain pan (a cake pan). With my sidestand down, I would put the cake pan underneath the drain plug. When most of the oil was drained out I would tilt the scooter to the right to get the last bit of oil out. You need a low drain pan for when you tilt it to the right. My last oil change was the first time I didn't spill oil .

Tom
@farsideman avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
2005 Vespa GT 200

Molto Verboso
@farsideman avatar
2005 Vespa GT 200
UTC quote
tooldtorocknroll wrote:
FarSideMan,

I have had to use cat litter several times . I finally got a side stand on my GTS. Also, got a new lower drain pan (a cake pan). With my sidestand down, I would put the cake pan underneath the drain plug. When most of the oil was drained out I would tilt the scooter to the right to get the last bit of oil out. You need a low drain pan for when you tilt it to the right. My last oil change was the first time I didn't spill oil .

Tom
Tom, I used a disposable loaf pan to drain the oil into, and had to angle it between the center stand legs. I think my main problem, though, could be solved with a side stand and disposable cake pan. Do those side stands drop down when you're riding and hit a hard bump, or are they fairly secure?
UTC

Hooked
Vespa GTS 250

Hooked
Vespa GTS 250
UTC quote
Yes, the sidestands are secure. It seems like the centerstand will drop down alittle when you hit a dump. The center stand has more mass.

Tom
OP
UTC

Lurker
2001 et4 150cc

Lurker
2001 et4 150cc
UTC quote
Thanks for all of your replies! I think I'm going to put a little more "elbow grease" into getting that thing off; the stubby wrenches don't let you apply much torque anyway. Is a 15/16" wrench "close enough", or is that just asking for trouble? I'm having a hard time finding a 24mm stubby...

Is there a good online place for parts? Just in case the o-ring is damaged, or if I mangle the drain plug too much, etc..

Thanks again!
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0153s ][ Queries: 3 (0.0060s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]