@bryce-o-rama avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
Peugeot Looxor

Ossessionato
@bryce-o-rama avatar
Peugeot Looxor
UTC quote
I don't have an ET4, but my engine is the same as one. My lever, on the other hand, is not. It used to start my engine, but no longer. Something in the inner mechanism is all stripped out. It was never very easy to use though.
@grind avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@grind avatar
UTC quote
I'd done it successfully a few times. Then the trans case cracked.

I've considered taking the kickstart lever off of my wife's LX, just to remove the risk of bumping it or otherwise implying pressure on it.
@orbit avatar
UTC

Hooked
06' Vespa LX150, 73' Serveta Jet200, 64' Vespa GL150

Hooked
@orbit avatar
06' Vespa LX150, 73' Serveta Jet200, 64' Vespa GL150
UTC quote
Four-strokes in general are harder to kickstart. Make sure you press down till you meet resistance and then "kick". If you just "go at it" you are much more likely to crack the case. It'll usually take a few kicks.

That being said, try not to kick start it unless required.
UTC

Hooked
PX150

Hooked
PX150
UTC quote
I too had my tranny case crumble. The dealer replaced it under warrentee, but I never tried to use it again. This was back in 2002. Apparently things have not changed.
@neuregel avatar
UTC

Enthusiast
ET4

Enthusiast
@neuregel avatar
ET4
UTC quote
never worked for me now im afraid to try because i heard many times on here about the case cracking. Which is not hard to replace but just a hassle to deal with.
UTC

Vespa ET4-Silver

Vespa ET4-Silver
UTC quote
I am afraid of cracking the case...

After I tried a couple of times, I now understand why they spent some engineering time designing an electric starter for the ET4.
@imwithhappy avatar
UTC

Addicted
06 GT200(black graphite)

Addicted
@imwithhappy avatar
06 GT200(black graphite)
UTC quote
Yes, push down firmly until you meet resistence, then give it hell. If you just ram your foot down on the kickstart with reckless abandon you will crack up! I use mine every so often just for funnies...
@jmc513 avatar
UTC

Hooked
'05 ET4

Hooked
@jmc513 avatar
'05 ET4
UTC quote
I could be wrong, but I think the case and lever were redesigned for the '04 model and in late model ETs the case no longer cracks from using the kick start.
@menhir avatar
UTC

@menhir avatar
UTC quote
Quote:
I could be wrong, but I think the case and lever were redesigned for the '04 model and in late model ETs the case no longer cracks from using the kick start.
Hmmm. Now this gets me to thinking again. (drat! Razz emoticon )

1) yes you can kickstart the ET4, but it takes practice to get used to it.
2) I did it a lot when until I heard it could crack the case...then I stopped.
3) I always counted myself lucky that I stopped before I caused damage.
4) I have 2004 ET4.

So, according to jmc513, I might have been lucky mostly because I bought a 2004 model.

Cool.

Can anyone verify this?

I was just heading out to the yard to remove the lever when I logged and read this thread.
@jerryg avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
2005 Dragon Red Vespa ET4 Speedster

Ossessionato
@jerryg avatar
2005 Dragon Red Vespa ET4 Speedster
UTC quote
I've done it twice, just to see if I could. Not easy, but it worked. wouldn't do it again unless I had to.
OP
@chad avatar
UTC

Olivia Newton-John
p200, vbb, gt200, px150, vnb

Olivia Newton-John
@chad avatar
UTC quote
just tried numerous times, and i can't get it to work. i think i'll stop before i break something.
UTC

LX150

LX150
UTC quote
I've used the kick start a lot as of recently. I thought the kick start was useless and was about to remove it so myself or someone else wouldn't damage the engine by using it. Then in this last week, the battery became depleted to the point where the electric start wouldn't work and the only way to start the scoot was by using the kick start.

After having someone show me how to kick start it and by lots of practice on my own, I'm a champ at kick starting the Leader 150 engine. The best method I have found for kick starting my LX is to stand behind the scoot and hold onto the rear rack. Then with the ball of my left foot, I place it on the kick start and press all the way down as quickly and smoothly as possible, without hammering down on it. Now, depending on if the engine is cold or how dead the battery is, you'll have to give it several kicks as described above in quick succession until you hear it start, then proceed to throttle it a little to finish getting it going.

The kick start is a handy tool once you learn how and when to use it. For now, I'm going to leave the kick start on my scooter instead of removing it like I had planned to do.

-Jeff
@mtn_horn avatar
UTC

Hooked
1 white 300, 1 black 300; the yin and yang scooters

Hooked
@mtn_horn avatar
1 white 300, 1 black 300; the yin and yang scooters
UTC quote
chad wrote:
just tried numerous times, and i can't get it to work. i think i'll stop before i break something.
This made me laugh because the one time I tried, I stopped before I broke something, too...namely, my leg! Laughing emoticon
@tfauch avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso

Molto Verboso
@tfauch avatar
UTC quote
jmc513 wrote:
The case was cracked on my 2005 ET4 when I bought it (Pre-owned). It was $98 to replace the part and a few bucks to have the shop reinstall the guts for the kickstart in the cover because you need a special tool to get the spring thing to sit in the cover.

Tim
@girlbike avatar
UTC

Sponsor
Vespa ET4

Sponsor
@girlbike avatar
Vespa ET4
UTC quote
I've tried repeatedly without success, because it always feels like I'm going to break something, like others have said. I always do that "push down until you feel resistance" thing - then sometimes it keeps moving, and other times it just STOPS.

But, my mechanic can start it as if it's nothing, every time! He's tried to show me how, and I just can't do it.
@bryce-o-rama avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
Peugeot Looxor

Ossessionato
@bryce-o-rama avatar
Peugeot Looxor
UTC quote
Orbit wrote:
Four-strokes in general are harder to kickstart. Make sure you press down till you meet resistance and then "kick". If you just "go at it" you are much more likely to crack the case. It'll usually take a few kicks.
The two rare exceptions to that are the Buddy and Bajaj. The Bajaj isn't Stella/P easy, but it's pretty easy. The Buddy, that thing is really easy. A first kick scoot the half dozen different times I tried kicking it.
OP
@chad avatar
UTC

Olivia Newton-John

Olivia Newton-John
@chad avatar
UTC quote
jmc513 wrote:
the problem i run in to is that the kick start 'hits' something; it feels like it's stuck. happens like every 2 or 3 times i try it, the other times, it goes down and 'wheezes' but just never ignites. guess i should go to a rally and have somebody show me before i break the case Laughing emoticon
@menhir avatar
UTC

@menhir avatar
UTC quote
I removed my kick-start lever today. I wanted to open the case just to inspect everything and blow out the dust on my ET4. It has about 5000 miles.

Here is what I found:

1) No dust! I put about 180 miles on it that last couple of days. Much of it at 45 mpg and higher. If you ride a lot does the dust not accumulate as much?

2) The belt and everything else looked just perfect. Good for me. I lubed up the kick start parts anyway as it was sticking. (I put the lever in the pet carrier just so I would have it if I needed it.)

3) I put everything back and started the scooter....

and just heard a grinding sound. Headache emoticon

I had ten minutes before I had to leave for work so I covered the scooter and took the car instead.

Apparently, my scooter didn't like having it's kick start amputated.

So, tomorrow morning I am going to take the case off again and see what I knocked out of whack.

Anyone have any ideas on what I should look for?
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0159s ][ Queries: 3 (0.0056s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]