OP
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
UTC quote
I stumbled across vespinoy.com where there's a blurb about Lambretta, a photo of a new Lambretta prototype and a link to a Lambretta USA site. I had not yet heard about this and found it really interesting. Anyone seen the prototype? Know anything and want to chime in with more info? Thanks!

http://www.lambrettausa.com

It would certainly be great to see a modern version of this product...or even just a reproduction of the original, a la the Stella.
@dave_in_okc avatar
UTC

Enthusiast
'12 Stella 4T, '76 FrankenVespa

Enthusiast
@dave_in_okc avatar
'12 Stella 4T, '76 FrankenVespa
UTC quote
Yeah, the one and only prototype toured all around the US this rally season. We had access to it during Amerivespa in Cleveland (Pride of Cleveland Scooter Shop). It was a true prototype, not much about it that would end up on the showroom floor. Power was via a watercooled 250cc Piaggio. It more or less maintained the lines of a Lammy, but was probably 20% larger than what you might expect. Here's another pic:
External inline image provided by member with no explanatory text

Lambretta USA seems like they are serious about bringing something like this to market. Pricing has been rumored to be comparable to the new GTS, but it is too early to tell since the product is not ready for market yet. Meanwhile, the Lambretta faithful HATE it. Stay tuned.
@kevin avatar
UTC

Addicted
2005 GT200

Addicted
@kevin avatar
2005 GT200
UTC quote
I've heard rumblings that they might not get this thing off the ground (just that, though...rumors).

And, yeah, the Lambretta vintage crowd seems to hate it, but I'd be happy to see them get a new scooter on the market (I ride a modern Vespa, so of course I'd like to see a modern Lambretta). I can't say that the prototype's design really wows me, though. I don't think it holds a candle to the old ones. But hey, it's just a prototype.

More info: http://www.lambrettausa.com
@misterd avatar
UTC

Enthusiast
'02 ET4 187 / '69 GP150

Enthusiast
@misterd avatar
'02 ET4 187 / '69 GP150
UTC quote
The last I heard was that the tour around the US this year was pretty much an extended focus-group kind of thing, and they were taking the feedback away to make changes.

Issues raised were things such as it being too fat to standover (unless you're John Wayne) and the bars being too low....if you really want a twist and go lambretta and can't wait then you need to go here [url]www.lambrettainnovation.co.uk[/url] these are the guys doing the work. Get a frame from them, a Gilera 180 donor and off you go...

I wouldn't put too much weight on what the classic Lambretta crowd think either, a lot of the classic Vespa types are pretty sniffy about ETs and GTs....me? I'm happy with my Malossi'd ET to commute on and my '69 Lambretta for the weekends...
@quasi-moto avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
SawStop

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@quasi-moto avatar
SawStop
UTC quote
I like what Vespa did with the GT and the GTS, by giving a nod to it's origins, but designing a modern Vespa.

The new Lammy looks like the old Lammy with a Piaggio motor and a modern pipe. It's not 1968 anymore, so why make the Lammy look almost exactly like the old one? I agree though that new scooters coming to market is a good thing.

Imho, Piaggio (with warts and all) should be commended for moving design forward and continuing to improve their products!

Len
OP
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
UTC quote
Len Smith wrote:
I like what Vespa did with the GT and the GTS, by giving a nod to it's origins, but designing a modern Vespa.

Len
I agree...The most desireable products of this type include retro design cues but are totally new designs. The GT (and the Aprilia Mojito) are both very retro/classic in style, but are clearly modern interpretations. Very few people are going to mistake them for an actual vintage scoot. A modern Lammy, inspired by the original but an entirely new design, would be a winner IMO.

Make no mistake: A significant part of the appeal of the GT is the style. Otherwise we'd all have spent a lot less $$ and would be riding BVs right now!

If I was at all artistic (I'm not) I'd get out some paper and draw the new Lammy right now. Maybe some of you artists out there can create the correct new look for a modern Lambretta and post it up for us.
@bryce-o-rama avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
Peugeot Looxor

Ossessionato
@bryce-o-rama avatar
Peugeot Looxor
UTC quote
I rode it at Mile High Mayhem this summer. It's very powerful, pretty fast, and I think once the suspension gets dialed in properly, it will handle and ride quite nicely.

It does have some issues, but it is really the first running prototype. It will need another few rounds of refinements. Many of the changes it will need are things that it is just going to have to have in order to be DOT compliant (like a kill switch).

If there was any major issue that bothered me, it would be the width of the body and the seat. I am 6' and I felt too short for the scooter. Not because it was tall, but it was so wide that your legs get spread apart trying to put a foot down. Part of that has a lot to do with the seat, which also pressed into my thighs when trying to put my legs down. If there is any one thing I was really disappointed in, it would be that.

The other major change I hope comes with a new headset and handlebars is full hydraulic brakes in place of the cable actuated hydraulic discs that are currently fitted.

With some changes and refinements, this scooter could be fantastic. Without them, it's just going to be an altered vintage frame with a new engine in it.
@napacoach avatar
UTC

Banned
M@

Banned
@napacoach avatar
M@
UTC quote
i reallty wanted one but have given up on Lambretta USA
@jerryg avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
2005 Dragon Red Vespa ET4 Speedster

Ossessionato
@jerryg avatar
UTC quote
Sheep's Clothing.

It'll never be what we'd want it to be.
@kevin avatar
UTC

Addicted
2005 GT200

Addicted
@kevin avatar
2005 GT200
UTC quote
JerryG wrote:
NapaCoach wrote:
i really wanted one but have given up on Lambretta USA
Jerry and NapaCoach,

I don't really know all that much about the Lambretta USA situation. Can you explain why you're down on them and/or the scooter they are trying to build?

Thanks.

Kevin
OP
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
UTC quote
Kevin wrote:
JerryG wrote:
NapaCoach wrote:
Jerry and NapaCoach,

I don't really know all that much about the Lambretta USA situation. Can you explain why you're down on them and/or the scooter they are trying to build?

Thanks.

Kevin
Ya, agreed, help me out here and give some background on why y'all feel this way. I just discovered the whole Lambretta USA idea for myself and thought it sounded interesting so I'd like to know what anyone has heard, if they are just a bunch of dreamers and f**k-ups or if this is really possible.

Bring us your rumors, your facts. Hell, I'll take a few jaded opinions and a cynical atitude, if you have one to share. Lay it on us! What have you heard about this outfit?
@misterd avatar
UTC

Enthusiast
'02 ET4 187 / '69 GP150

Enthusiast
@misterd avatar
'02 ET4 187 / '69 GP150
UTC quote
Bzzz wrote:
Bring us your rumors, your facts. Hell, I'll take a few jaded opinions and a cynical atitude, if you have one to share. Lay it on us! What have you heard about this outfit?
Sounds like a tie-up between some American money and marketing and some boffins in a shed in the UK....why wouldn't it work? Ok, I'll answer my own question, they need an Italian designer to style the thing as a modern Lambretta, rather than just wedging a new motor into a puffed-up GP.
@tfauch avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso

Molto Verboso
@tfauch avatar
UTC quote
I love the Lambretta
I think it looks awesome. It's missing directional's and mirrors though. It all depends on the ride itself.

Tim
@jerryg avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@jerryg avatar
UTC quote
Kevin wrote:
JerryG wrote:
NapaCoach wrote:
Jerry and NapaCoach,

Thanks.

Kevin
There's a thread on the BBS that's pretty interesting. It explains where the Lammys at and what they hope to be able to do. Best of luck to em. I'm just not holding my breath :?
http://www.scooterbbs.com/board/DCForumID1/42538.html
@grx_scooter avatar
UTC

Hooked
Vespa: '57 Fenderlight, '74 Rally 200, '77 Rally 200, '80 P200e, '02 ET4; Rumi: '58 Formichino; Lambretta: '62 Li125, '68 Eibar 200; Honda: '84 Gyro

Hooked
@grx_scooter avatar
Vespa: '57 Fenderlight, '74 Rally 200, '77 Rally 200, '80 P200e, '02 ET4; Rumi: '58 Formichino; Lambretta: '62 Li125, '68 Eibar 200; Honda: '84 Gyro
UTC quote
MisterD wrote:
...they need an Italian designer to style the thing as a modern Lambretta, rather than just wedging a new motor into a puffed-up GP.
I have to disagree here. Most of what the vintage crowd wanted with the new Vespa, was to have a modern four stroke engine in a vintage GS-style/type of body. The ultimate classic look with the ultimate modern engine and reliability (disc brakes, modern shocks, etc.). If Vespa had done something like that, they would have sold TONS to the established scooter crowd. The new owners would have bought them regardless... SO, I think the folks who are starting this new Lambretta venture tried to take this into consideration and are attempting to do the same thing, except with a Lammie. Problem with the new design is that it looks like a cheap knockoff of it's own vintage line... If they had some styling points such as the SX200 cowl flashes and chrome trimmings, it might just sit better with everyone. I agree, though, that it looks more like a GP200 (boring --- see pic below). My 2 pence...

@kevin avatar
UTC

Addicted
2005 GT200

Addicted
@kevin avatar
2005 GT200
UTC quote
JerryG wrote:
There's a thread on the BBS that's pretty interesting. It explains where the Lammys at and what they hope to be able to do.
Thanks, Jerry. I just read that thread.

Wow. That's a cynical freakin' crowd over there. It may well be a longshot to get it to market...who knows?...but damn, it's like some of these "purists" want the new Lammy to fail.

Lambretta USA is reaching out to the scooterist community for feedback, and they respond by kicking them in the teeth.

I say give 'em a break...and some encouragement. I hope they make it just to prove all those loudmouth know-it-alls wrong.

Kevin
@napacoach avatar
UTC

Banned
M@

Banned
@napacoach avatar
M@
UTC quote
Dec 8, 2003 - Lambretta scooters returning to USA.!
>>>>>>>Skip ahead 2 years<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
March 15, 2005 - Lambretta Prototype getting rave reviews after its arrival in the U.S. for testing and market feedback
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Skip ahead to this year <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
Lambretta USA basicly says "back to the drawing board "
@grx_scooter avatar
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
@grx_scooter avatar
UTC quote
Kevin wrote:
Wow. That's a cynical freakin' crowd over there. It may well be a longshot to get it to market...who knows?...but damn, it's like some of these "purists" want the new Lammy to fail.

Lambretta USA is reaching out to the scooterist community for feedback, and they respond by kicking them in the teeth.

I say give 'em a break...and some encouragement. I hope they make it just to prove all those loudmouth know-it-alls wrong.

Kevin
Ha, ha - yeah the Scooter BBS is waaaaay cynical, BUT, if you've been there as long as I have, you'd know that half of those folks say things either (a) to stir things up, or (b) to just joke around. A lot of new folks to that BBS get freaked out and think they are dead serious. Sometimes they are, but most of the time they fall into the two afore-mentioned categories...

The "purists" are pissed because Lambretta USA have NOT been listening to them (at least as much as they'd like to let you think). But, I think the tour did serve as a forum for them to hear suggestions. An inside source tells me they are years from overcoming some design engineering problems; it is much easier to create a completely new body design to fit an all new engine and modern parts as opposed to retro fitting a vintage body style. That's why Vespa didn't do it... Serious industry insiders say this scooter won't see the light of day, based on their expertise on doing the same thing...
@greasy125 avatar
UTC

Sergeant at Arms
Weird 80's Vespas & Cool Vintage Lambrettas

Sergeant at Arms
@greasy125 avatar
UTC quote
if piaggio was really smart they'd take a brand spankin' new px and shove in the 150 leader motor.
the new twist n' go px... they'd sell 'em by the metric butt-load.

lambretta usa should go with the leader 150 instead of the quazar 250.
the 150 is a smaller package, infinetely upgradeable, and most importantly: air cooled. you can wrap it up in a tidy little package.

just as piaggio came out with the et and then the gt, lambretta should do the same. come out with a 150 in a modified gp frame, disc front/drum rear and throw some panel flash on it and you're done. THEN start from scratch and design a 250 from the ground up... just like the GT.

sometimes you have to wonder about people that can't see the freekin' business model has already been done and is successful.

best,
-greasy
@jess avatar
UTC

Petty Tyrant
0:7 And counting

Petty Tyrant
@jess avatar
0:7 And counting
UTC quote
greasy125 wrote:
if piaggio was really smart they'd take a brand spankin' new px and shove in the 150 leader motor.
But why stop at the PX? I mean, just because it's currently in production... why not go back to a GS or something?

Because you know the purists will complain that the PX is neither vintage OR classic.
@greasy125 avatar
UTC

Sergeant at Arms

Sergeant at Arms
@greasy125 avatar
UTC quote
because there's actually a *possibilty* (albeit distant) of the auto px coming to production.

asking piaggio to actually make something that i would lust after would first require them to get their heads out of their asses and then realize that everybody wants old bikes. rebuild the tooling, break out the old plans, and then shove direct injection 2t motors w/ auto trans into the vintage steel.

they could still sell rally 200's, ss180's, ss90's, gs160's everyday of the week and twice on sundays. but what the hell do i know, i'm just a dumb ass mechanic.

best,
-greasy
jess wrote:
greasy125 wrote:
But why stop at the PX? I mean, just because it's currently in production... why not go back to a GS or something?

Because you know the purists will complain that the PX is neither vintage OR classic.
@grx_scooter avatar
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
@grx_scooter avatar
UTC quote
jess wrote:
Oh, I know... I just had a conversation this afternoon with one of my scooter club's purists. He was talking to me about doing a "vintage only" ride and suggested that we exclude all tng's as well as the PX's. WHen I asked him why exclude the PXs, as they are manual tranny models, he said "because they are new and that means new riders!"... This is where the purists logic is flawed. If a person who has a vintage scooter is a new rider (let's say a teenager, for example who is getting into scooters for the first time), wouldn't you have the same problems with that person's riding skills, lack of product knowledge, etc.??? But, if you are descriminating against the new automatics, then why would a manual PX be banned? It has basically a P-Series engine...

Now, even though I like the ease of use of the new autos, I also have a "purist" side to me. And in THAT book, the P-Series, as well as T5's, are definitely not "classic". They may be "vintage", but only kind-of... Is a 20 year old vehicle considered "vintage"... 30, yes. 20? Hmmmm... Guess it's all subjective... All I know is that my '57 Fenderlight is running again, thanks to a modern carb. BUT, does that make it not "vintage" but still a "classic"?????? Something to think about... and something the purists could debate for hours ha ha
@beale avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
None! I sold it :(

Ossessionato
@beale avatar
None! I sold it :(
UTC quote
Lambretta?
You know in some ways I am glad that I did not know anything about all this purist stuff prior to buying. I knew about scooters from some vague memory of some old ads, and maybe somewhere along the lines seeing Roman Holiday?
When I started lookng for inexpensive transport, I first thought maybe a cheap used Honda/Toyota/etc. My innerself said no way lets do something fun maybe a convertible. No such luck very hard to find a good one that suited my "wants", that was affordable.
I started looking at motorcycles, but remembered how much I really did not like trying to shift/brake/clutch/and watch the road at same time. I heard about these "modern scoots" none of that! Well well, I check it out. Find out the rumors are true. Just sit on it twist throttle and go!
Went to 2 or 3 locale "scooter" places that carry the "Chinese" cheapos. Started doing internet digging. Saw the "Baron Retro". Really liked the style, but not the unknown.
Found out about Vespa and went to a modern Botique. I sat on everything in the store. Asked a bunch of silly questions, road a GT, and came home.
Two weeks later I owned one. Only then did I realize their was more to this than just ownership.
Now 5 months later I am "into it". I ride because I enjoy it, and find it to be a good way to unwind, enjoy nature, really see my surroundings. I hate to say this but I do not care that the "purists" do not like a twist in go. I get ribbing from "bikers", that do not ride in the cold, or wet. Do not care, even about the ribbing from my brother about a "scoot". Heck most of these people do not listen when you try to explain about a scooter. It is not a freekin MO-PED!!!
I ride, I enjoy, that is really what matters to me. I will now get down off my soapbox, sorry for the long post, Scoot-On, Beale.
@grx_scooter avatar
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
@grx_scooter avatar
UTC quote
Re: Lambretta?
Beale wrote:
I ride because I enjoy it, and find it to be a good way to unwind, enjoy nature, really see my surroundings. I hate to say this but I do not care that the "purists" do not like a twist in go. I get ribbing from "bikers", that do not ride in the cold, or wet. Do not care, even about the ribbing from my brother about a "scoot". Heck most of these people do not listen when you try to explain about a scooter. It is not a freekin MO-PED!!!
I ride, I enjoy, that is really what matters to me.
Beale - that is exactly why most people get into scootering; because it's a "good way to unwind, enjoy nature, really see your surroundings", so more power to you! Much to the chagrin of the purists in our club, our club is open to all scooter riders, modern or vintage. Heck, I just like to ride, and all I know is I want to ride with other folks who just like to ride, ride, ride.

Modern vs vintage is a tough question for those of us who appreciate the attributes of both. I often ask myself, for example, which one did I like better?: my '66 Datsun 1600 Roadster (first Japanese convertible roadster ever made) or my '92 Mazda Miata (both of which are cherry red)? The Datsun looked great and you could tell it was a sweet vintage ride, BUT, if I had a dollar for everytime it broke down I'd be a half millionaire, that's for sure. The Miata, on the other hand, is still running strong more than 13 years later and I've never had to do a thing to it, besides regular maintenance...Both can be appreciated on looks alone, in their own way, yet roadster purists are far from calling the Miata a "classic"... Pros and cons to each, both with the roadsters and the same ones with the vintage and modern Vespas... I say just enjoy the ride, whatever you're on (don't worry about it) --- and you'll always be welcome to ride with us in the South Bay/L.A. ... Believe me, even vintage riders get the same ribbing you get from all your aquaintances...and then some!
@scooterbobby avatar
UTC

Hooked
31 motorcycles..8scooters and a bad -ass Fiat 500

Hooked
@scooterbobby avatar
31 motorcycles..8scooters and a bad -ass Fiat 500
UTC quote
the question is Mario, when are you gonna get that Rumi on the road??!?!
at the Novegro Mostra Scambio in Milan last month, the Rumi club had an UNBELIVEABLE display of scoots.. it was like a new manufactuer disply..i even ran into my old boss,Oscar Rumi and his brother.i wish i woulda taken pics for you
@grx_scooter avatar
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
@grx_scooter avatar
UTC quote
RE: Rumi
scooterbobby wrote:
the question is Mario, when are you gonna get that Rumi on the road??!?!
at the Novegro Mostra Scambio in Milan last month, the Rumi club had an UNBELIVEABLE display of scoots.. it was like a new manufactuer disply..i even ran into my old boss,Oscar Rumi and his brother.i wish i woulda taken pics for you
Oh, geez, Bobby - am I gonna have to buy you one of those wristwatch digital cameras so you can always have one on hand? I woulda loved to have seen pics from that! Maybe you can see if they have any online pics somplace (ask your old boss!). I'll definitely have to hit your old boss up for parts (through you?)...

The Rumi has taken a back seat to my other projects, though. Chris Lawrence and I are working on getting my Lammie done for Vegas, first. I'm also taking my Rally into Mic to start the resto on that, actually this week (I'm getting insurance money for that so I'm just letting him to do it all), but who knows when that will be done...

I have been slowly getting parts here and there for the Rumi, so I almost have everything. After I get the Lammie on the road, I'll probably start up again on the Rumi resto (we're talking late Spring next year)... And somewhere in there (It's looking more like March), I'm getting one of those GTS250s fm you...! I just got the Fenderlight running again, and I'm also tooling around on my friends' ET4 these days, so at least I still have the best of both worlds going on...
@steve avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
'06 Vespa LX150, '07 Suzuki Burgman 400, '05 Honda Metropolitan

Ossessionato
@steve avatar
UTC quote
GRX Scooter wrote:
I often ask myself, for example, which one did I like better?: my '66 Datsun 1600 Roadster or my '92 Mazda Miata
Exactly!
<---- has '58 MGA and daughter has '91 Miata

Which is why I didn't get a project scooter to begin with. I love tinkering, and I tinker on the MG. One day I'll tinker on a GS or something, or maybe not. Meanwhile, I put twice as many miles on the LX September 10 till November 25 as I did the MG all summer (and almost as many miles as on my WRX since June! )
⬆️    About 1 month elapsed    ⬇️
@jerryg avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@jerryg avatar
UTC quote
Rumor has it the New Lambretta is dead. Anyone heard anything? Money?, EPA?, interest?

Of course, it's only a rumor right now
@tfauch avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso

Molto Verboso
@tfauch avatar
UTC quote
Not much said on their web page.
Not much said on the web page in a while Lambretta USA . I hope it's a just rumor.

Tim
@demonlarry avatar
UTC

Hooked
too many to list

Hooked
@demonlarry avatar
too many to list
UTC quote
Back when the "new" lambretta thing started I worked at the premier Lambretta resto shop on the east coast. and as such, I was asked to help them with the design, ie: what i'd like to see on the new bike.

My Idea was this:

1) Take a S3 lambretta, gp, tv sx whatever. use the 150cc leader motor.
leave the shifter mechanism on the handlebars, immobilise it with a grub screw( removeable) Leave the hole in the floor, plug it, and the post for a rear pedal, and leave the shock mount in the back, put one on both sides...Pull out the Leader motor, drop in a GP200 motor...brand new shifting 2-stroke lambretta... Retaining the 10 inch wheels, the lammy everyone remembers...

OR-

2) Make it auto, style it like a lammy, like a new lammy, like the ET to the PX, the New Beetle to the VW type 1. It needs to look like a progression.

When I saw the "new" lammy I had a gut reaction that made me slightly ill. I kinda threw up in my mouth a little-bit.

As far as an auto px. I say lose the leader motor, go with a PK plurimatic style motor...

my .02

-larry
@grx_scooter avatar
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
@grx_scooter avatar
UTC quote
JerryG wrote:
Rumor has it the New Lambretta is dead. Anyone heard anything? Money?, EPA?, interest?

It is officially dead is what I have heard. Still waiting to hear why, but I would assume it was because they had screwed up so much with the first prototypes; if you screw up so bad with the seed money at first how do you expect the financial backers to take a chance on you again? We'll see...
@tfauch avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso

Molto Verboso
@tfauch avatar
UTC quote
Re: ...
demonlarry wrote:
When I saw the "new" lammy I had a gut reaction that made me slightly ill. I kinda threw up in my mouth a little-bit

I bet the executives over at Hallmark are saying how can we get Larry back. Laughing emoticon

Tim
@steve avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@steve avatar
UTC quote
TFauch wrote:
I bet the executives over at Hallmark are saying how can we get Larry back.
American Greetings' headquarters is about 15 minutes from Larry's place. I think he's moonlighting at the Vespa shop, and is actually the head writer at AG.
@grant avatar
UTC

"Between Scooters"

@grant avatar
"Between Scooters"
UTC quote
JerryG wrote:

I don't think it is dead, just taking a really long ass time. The latest info I have seen/heard was on the scooterscoop blog (pretty reliable in my opinion). Here is the news as of 11/29/05:

http://thescooterscoop.blogspot.com/
November Archives

"Tuesday, November 29, 2005
Last word on the Lammy 5

Got this e-mail. Same stuff you may have seen on other scooter sites. This is how it concludes in case you haven't read it yet:

Therefore, to make the improvements above (listed in e-mail), and others that we have also developed, a second completely re-engineered prototype is being prepared, also by Frank Sanderson of Lambretta Labs of U.K.

While our enthusiasts, dealers, and ourselves are disappointed by this delay, it is well worth the wait in order to get it right.

One good aspect of the delay is that we have gathered even more dealer and distributor prospects due to the success of the first tour.

We now have strong solicitations from U.K., Italy, Spain, Germany, Japan, Australia, Canada, and S. Korea.

In addition, input from dealers and retail enthusiasts has been strong towards offering lower priced models such as the 125 cc Piaggio engine and a 150 cc water cooled CMSI engine. Testing is also being conducted on a 49 cc Piaggio PUREJet 2 stroke engine that should meet 2006 EPA regulations and Euro III emission standards.

So, when is the Series V coming to market? Its probably safe to say in 2006. But having been wrong before about estimating when the new project will be finished, it is only prudent to say...it will be ready when its ready.....Keep checking the website for the latest updates and keep the faith baby!

Good things take time...Lambretta went bankrupt in 1971....but, we can now see the date getting closer for its rebirth ....!

Tom Lynott
President
CMSI

posted by Steve Guzman @ 1:12 PM "
@gliderguynj avatar
UTC

Hooked
Vespa LX150

Hooked
@gliderguynj avatar
Vespa LX150
UTC quote
Beale wrote:
You know in some ways I am glad that I did not know anything about all this purist stuff prior to buying.
I hate to say this but I do not care that the "purists" do not like a twist in go. I get ribbing from "bikers", that do not ride in the cold, or wet. Do not care, even about the ribbing from my brother about a "scoot". Heck most of these people do not listen when you try to explain about a scooter. It is not a freekin MO-PED!!!
I ride, I enjoy, that is really what matters to me. I will now get down off my soapbox, sorry for the long post, Scoot-On, Beale.
Beale,
I couldn't have said it better myself.
Doug
@bryce-o-rama avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
Peugeot Looxor

Ossessionato
@bryce-o-rama avatar
Peugeot Looxor
UTC quote
demonlarry wrote:
Back when the "new" lambretta thing started I worked at the premier Lambretta resto shop on the east coast. and as such, I was asked to help them with the design, ie: what i'd like to see on the new bike.

My Idea was this:

1) Take a S3 lambretta, gp, tv sx whatever. use the 150cc leader motor.
leave the shifter mechanism on the handlebars, immobilise it with a grub screw( removeable) Leave the hole in the floor, plug it, and the post for a rear pedal, and leave the shock mount in the back, put one on both sides...Pull out the Leader motor, drop in a GP200 motor...brand new shifting 2-stroke lambretta... Retaining the 10 inch wheels, the lammy everyone remembers...
Cool idea, but having to pay extra to get the old style engine and the swapping back and forth sounds kind of expensive and inefficient. I wonder how much demand there is for a reproduction of an old Lammy. The Stella and the reintroduction of the PX have shown that there is a demand for a vintage style Vespa. I wonder though if Lambretta would be too late to the party.
demonlarry wrote:
2) Make it auto, style it like a lammy, like a new lammy, like the ET to the PX, the New Beetle to the VW type 1. It needs to look like a progression.
This would be my approach. Don't try to live in the past. Find and distill the essence of the old Lambrettas, and then put those qualities into something new. I could see a new Lambretta being something of a cross between new Vespas and modern sport scooters. Something very fast and fine handling. Then give it style like a good suit, classicaly timeless, yet up to date.

If somebody had the will and money to do it, I could see a 2 stroke being done. Direct injected, water cooled, and yes, manual shift. Not the old 4 speeds shifted via cable though. I could see a 5 or 6 speed transmission shifts smoothly and quickly. Make the CVT auto an option too and I could see something like that having broad appeal.
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0488s ][ Queries: 3 (0.0185s) ][ Debug on ][ 309 ][ Thing One ]