@president_robert_cooper avatar
UTC

Hooked
2003 Piaggio LT150 "Blue Hayate"

Hooked
UTC quote
I remember back when Piaggio used to sell the LT150. It was a beautiful bike, and you wouldn't feel cheap when an ET4 pulled in and parked beside you.

Now we have the Fly. No offense to Fly owners, but I really wish they still made the LT150. It could be because I am very partial to the LT, but nowadays if someone on a Vespa pulled up beside you and your Fly, well, no offense, but I WOULD feel cheap.

Also, I felt that replacing a big-wheeled bike with a small-wheeled scooter isn't right. The larger wheels gave the LT a softer, more stable ride. Shrinking the wheels is not a substitute.

Yes, I've noticed that the Kymco People 150 is a little too similar to the LT, and if there was a Kymco dealership around here, I would get that. But since I don't have a ride that would take me 40 miles to buy a scooter, the Kymco's out of the question.

So, since I got this off my chest, I'm going for the next best thing: a Scarabeo 200. Again, no offense to Fly owners, but I really liked the LT.
@super-fly avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
Vespa GTS300ie

Molto Verboso
@super-fly avatar
Vespa GTS300ie
UTC quote
The LT has no knee or foot room and tiny storage space , the odd size tyres are expensive and hard to find , the access to battery and engine for maintenence is terrible , apart from that it fine no offence to LT/liberty owners
@witch avatar
UTC

Moderatrice Strega

Moderatrice Strega
@witch avatar
UTC quote
I kind of wish they still made the LT, too. I especially would have liked the Euro 200cc version they did for a little while. With the topcase, side cases, and a decent screen, that would have been a great bike for me.

I had a hopped-up Scarabeo 50 for a while, and it was a great little bike (just lacked the power and CCs for me to do what I needed). I was seriously pissed that I got it just before I discovered the LT150 (and later the Kymco People 150). I had really wanted a 150, but the Scarabeo 150 proved to be way too big for me to handle safely. The LT150 and People 150 are only a few inches larger in outside dimensions compared to a Scarabeo 50. Great little bikes.

If they came out with an LT150 again or even an LT200 in similar dimensions, I'd probably snatch one right up. They have their own charm.
@mcfly150 avatar
UTC

Piaggio FLY 150

@mcfly150 avatar
Piaggio FLY 150
UTC quote
Trying to understand this post... did they stop producing the LT150 at the same time they started producing the Fly's or something? I see two differnent scooters aimed at two very different segments of the scootering market. Your comparing Apples to Oranges.
@louisiana_geezer avatar
UTC

Addicted
Honda Shadow VLX (Fly 150 sold)

Addicted
@louisiana_geezer avatar
UTC quote
Re: LT150 vs. Fly 150?
President Robert Cooper wrote:
No offense to Fly owners, but I really wish they still made the LT150. It could be because I am very partial to the LT, but nowadays if someone on a Vespa pulled up beside you and your Fly, well, no offense, but I WOULD feel cheap.
You don't have to feel cheap if someone on a Vespa pulled up beside me and my Fly, Robert. When that happens to me, I wave hello to the rider, all the while thinking how much better my Fly appeals to me than his Vespa... less expensive too.
@baldanzi avatar
UTC

Hooked
Aprilia Sportcity 250

Hooked
@baldanzi avatar
Aprilia Sportcity 250
UTC quote
The LT was always known as the Liberty outside of the USA and in fact the Liberty is still made and has been upgraded - imagine a Fly with big wheels. A co-worker of mine in Milan has a Liberty 150 - its a really nice scoot. The italians I spoke with view the Fly as a sub-model of the Liberty (LT).....the Liberty outsells the Fly by a significant margin in Italy.

External inline image provided by member with no explanatory text
OP
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
UTC quote
Okay, just to clarify some of the responses:
Quote:
Trying to understand this post... did they stop producing the LT150 at the same time they started producing the Fly's or something? I see two differnent scooters aimed at two very different segments of the scootering market. Your comparing Apples to Oranges.
That's sort of my point, but what I'm trying to say is that Piaggio replaced an "orange" with an "apple," and for me it isn't that great of an "apple." It's not so much that I'm comparing one to the other, but I'm just getting my $0.02 in about the LT's replacement.
Quote:
You don't have to feel cheap if someone on a Vespa pulled up beside me and my Fly, Robert. When that happens to me, I wave hello to the rider, all the while thinking how much better my Fly appeals to me than his Vespa... less expensive too.
Well, I do have to say that whatever scooter a person chooses, it is a matter of taste, and everyone's entitled to his/her opinion. It's just that the Fly doesn't appeal to me as much as the LT did.

BTW, I did notice that the Liberty is sold in other markets. Why can't they bring it over here to the US? T.T
@judy avatar
UTC

World Traveler
2007 LX150 Daring Plum Leonardo Da Vespa

World Traveler
@judy avatar
UTC quote
I have a LT and a LX. The LT by far is much better mechanically. No issues,everything works and i got 6 yrs off my original battery. I like the classical looks of my LX but it has more quirks. It really surprised me since i had the LT before i bought the LX. Haven't seen a fly so i can't compare. I don't know why they didn't sell more than the 3000 they sent to the USA. SUPERFLY when i replaced the battery all i had to do was lift up the seat and unscrew 2 screws that hold the battery cover in place. Just took out the old one from the well,hooked up the new one and then put the cover on and screwed it down. I suspect the LX will be harder.
@louisiana_geezer avatar
UTC

Addicted

Addicted
@louisiana_geezer avatar
UTC quote
That's impressive, Judy. Having never seen an LT I certainly couldn't tell you how it differs from the Fly except for the obvious difference in the size of the wheels. The Fly has 12" wheels, but is otherwise, very much like the LX, sharing the same LEADER engine and transmission. Despite the fact that it has plastic body parts (one of the reasons I chose it over the LX), it weighs almost exactly the same.
@judy avatar
UTC

World Traveler

World Traveler
@judy avatar
UTC quote
LG i think the fly and LT have the same wheel base and def have the plastic body. I have no pet carrier it's all covered up We get some crazy winds here and the LX seems to handle better with the smaller wheel base. Maybe i'm lower to the ground or maybe it's just me. I was surprised when i got the LX and it had a bunch of "quirks" since the LT has none. Same engine etc. Weird but the LT is like the energizer bunny it keeps going and going I had a bad accident on the LT 2 years ago and it sat "lost" at an impound yard on it's side for 8 wks. When we found it guy wheeled it out and it started right up I on the other hand took 2 months to start right up
UTC

Enthusiast
'08 Piaggio Fly 150

Enthusiast
'08 Piaggio Fly 150
UTC quote
No offense taken from this Fly owner! Love my Fly 150, but when I saw the picture in this thread of the Liberty...well, that is one good-looking scooter. My last scooter was a Malaguti Ciak 50cc which had the larger wheels. Though I haven't noticed any real difference in going to a 12" wheeled scooter, I do miss those "big wheels!"

I agree with the comment that a choice of scooter is very much a matter of personal taste. I went with the Fly because I liked its more modern styling.

-- LauraQ
OP
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
UTC quote
Well, I guess I'll have to rethink my position on getting a Beo.

Unless Aprilia is willing to charge less for their parts so that they're about even with Piaggio's prices, I'll have to forgo on getting an Aprilia as my forst scoot.

And since the Liberty is all the way across the pond, I've decided to rethink about the Fly...especially after seeing this:

I'd love a Fly in that color, that or black. It seems, however, that they don't make the Fly in black anymore (wonder why...?)

Also, did anyone go to the new Piaggio site and wonder where last year's BV250 ran off to?
UTC

Enthusiast
'08 Piaggio Fly 150

Enthusiast
'08 Piaggio Fly 150
UTC quote
If you get a Fly, you won't regret it! Just saying.....

Unless Aprilia is willing to charge less for their parts so that they're about even with Piaggio's prices, I'll have to forgo on getting an Aprilia as my forst scoot.

And since the Liberty is all the way across the pond, I've decided to rethink about the Fly...especially after seeing this:

I'd love a Fly in that color, that or black. It seems, however, that they don't make the Fly in black anymore (wonder why...?)

Also, did anyone go to the new Piaggio site and wonder where last year's BV250 ran off to?
@louisiana_geezer avatar
UTC

Addicted

Addicted
@louisiana_geezer avatar
UTC quote
I agree with LauraQ's endorsement of the Fly 100%; I'll admit, though, that I would like the LEADER 150 to get closer to 70 MPH.

The white Fly is new for this year, and I concur that it's far better looking than any of the other colors I've seen for it.
OP
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
UTC quote
LauraQ wrote:
If you get a Fly, you won't regret it! Just saying.....

^_^ I'm sure I won't! Who doesn't love a Piaggio scooter (whether it's Piaggio, Vespa or Aprilia)?

Also, I saw that they replaced the rear turn signals with clear ones instead of the old amber ones. (wipes drool from mouth). Anybody know if this is going to be what the '09's are like?
^_^
@scooterscum avatar
UTC

Piaggio Fly 150

@scooterscum avatar
Piaggio Fly 150
UTC quote
I have an 09 Fly 150. Yup, clear lenses
OP
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
UTC quote
ScooterScum wrote:
I have an 09 Fly 150. Yup, clear lenses
SWEEET!!!!
OP
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
UTC quote
Heh...the Fly was my first choice in scooters. I guess it was the color that made it look cheap. Razz emoticon
@scooterscum avatar
UTC

Piaggio Fly 150

@scooterscum avatar
Piaggio Fly 150
UTC quote
When you buy one in the US though, you get the added hanging turn signals (not shown in the picture above) because the built-in lights are 1/4" too close together for US specs.

They make kits to change it back.
OP
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
UTC quote
ScooterScum wrote:
When you buy one in the US though, you get the added hanging turn signals (not shown in the picture above) because the built-in lights are 1/4" too close together for US specs.

They make kits to change it back.
No problem. If I don't like it, I can always buy the kit. 8)
@jlb avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
2007 Vespa GTS 250ie

Molto Verboso
@jlb avatar
2007 Vespa GTS 250ie
UTC quote
My LT-150

@jlb avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
2007 Vespa GTS 250ie

Molto Verboso
@jlb avatar
2007 Vespa GTS 250ie
UTC quote
Louisiana_Geezer wrote:
I agree with LauraQ's endorsement of the Fly 100%; I'll admit, though, that I would like the LEADER 150 to get closer to 70 MPH.

The white Fly is new for this year, and I concur that it's far better looking than any of the other colors I've seen for it.
I can get the LT-150 up to about 65-68mph. My wife rides it most of the time, and it will get over 70 mph. I guess there is less rolling resistance with the taller wheels, and it may be lighter than a Fly too.
@witch avatar
UTC

Moderatrice Strega

Moderatrice Strega
@witch avatar
UTC quote
I like that the LT150 is the only large-wheel scoot that has actual crash bars on it (although I think the 125 and 200 versions do as well). And it has side cases availible for it, even though it's not a huge monster of a bike.

Somewhere online I once saw a photo of someone's LT that had a topcase with backrest, side cases, and a tall screen. Damned if I can find it again. It was gorgeous. Give me one of those in ivory or that awesome dark cherry red, and that would be my ultimate light tourer. I even like the strange new triangle-ish headlight.

Don't get me wrong, I love my GTV, but those little high-wheel scoots just feel much lighter and more agile. Rarely was I ever afraid of dumping my Scarabeo 50. The Vespa is another issue.
@ritchj avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
One of each

Ossessionato
@ritchj avatar
One of each
UTC quote
I think the Fly is better.

It comes with a license to park like a princess, wreck other people's stuff in saddlebags (notice how the scooter rider mashed the bag,) and create entertaining havoc on MC forums. It also may come with the ability to be moved into traffic, onto the sidewalk, or have a note attached with Hobo Poo.

The Fly also makes MC riders think that we're all brainless, self centered, dispassionate transportation only riders, who don't have any formal riding training or licenses, and when in transportation mode, they don't care to get to know the riding community, lest they be educated about respecting others' rides.

Plus they're cheap inexpensive.
Forum member supplied image with no explanatory text
@louisiana_geezer avatar
UTC

Addicted

Addicted
@louisiana_geezer avatar
UTC quote
JLB wrote:
I can get the LT-150 up to about 65-68mph. My wife rides it most of the time, and it will get over 70 mph. I guess there is less rolling resistance with the taller wheels, and it may be lighter than a Fly too.
I don't recall where I read it, but it seems as if Piaggio specifies a top speed of 59 MPH on most of its scooters with the 150 Leader engine. Your wife probably doesn't weigh 240 pounds either.
@paige avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
LX150, MP3, Buddy

Molto Verboso
@paige avatar
LX150, MP3, Buddy
UTC quote
The LT 150 is very attractive but rides like a bird on a wire. The wheels are big around but thin. High center of gravity and perched on the seat. No storage (no underseat compartment).

The Fly has the mechanical advantages of the LX 150 with larger wheels. I would ride a Fly instead of a LT.
@paige avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
LX150, MP3, Buddy

Molto Verboso
@paige avatar
LX150, MP3, Buddy
UTC quote
Double doulble
@jlb avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
2007 Vespa GTS 250ie

Molto Verboso
@jlb avatar
2007 Vespa GTS 250ie
UTC quote
Louisiana_Geezer wrote:
JLB wrote:
I don't recall where I read it, but it seems as if Piaggio specifies a top speed of 59 MPH on most of its scooters with the 150 Leader engine. Your wife probably doesn't weigh 240 pounds either.
I actually clocked her with my Honda Accord, so I am pretty sure about this.

On a bike like this with only 12 bhp, it's all about weight, rolling resistance, and wind resistance. I think the LT-150 has an advantage in all three areas, but I am only guessing on the drag coefficient.

The Fly is listed as have a top speed of 61 mph, and with a dry weight on the Fly @ 247 lbs with fatter tires, thus greater rolling resistance.

The LT-150 has a dry weight @ 233 lbs with taller and skinny tires, with far less rolling resistance.

The LT looks like it has a rounder shape, so may be more aerodynamic, but that is subjective.

The only other factor that may play in, is that I am only 20 feet above sea level, and the air is thicker here. I may get a small performance advantage.

Or maye I just got a good one....
@louisiana_geezer avatar
UTC

Addicted

Addicted
@louisiana_geezer avatar
UTC quote
At the speeds these bikes can do, I think it's got a lot more to do with the size of the driver than aerodynamics. If I weighed under 200 I think I could get this Fly to do 61 MPH.

Oh yeah, it's the LX-150 that has a specified top end of 59 MPH.
@jlb avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
2007 Vespa GTS 250ie

Molto Verboso
@jlb avatar
2007 Vespa GTS 250ie
UTC quote
paige wrote:
The LT 150 is very attractive but rides like a bird on a wire. The wheels are big around but thin. High center of gravity and perched on the seat. No storage (no underseat compartment).

The Fly has the mechanical advantages of the LX 150 with larger wheels. I would ride a Fly instead of a LT.
FYI, the LT-150 seat is exactly 30.5" off the ground, the same as the Fly.

True, there is zero underseat storage on the LT (Because of the large rear wheel), so advantage to the Fly on that area, but the trunk makes that moot for me.

On the other hand, the LT-150 was made in Italy, and the (current) Fly is made in China by Zongshen Piaggio Foshan MC Co Ltd.

Resale value, and quality of build advantage to the LT-150.
@louisiana_geezer avatar
UTC

Addicted

Addicted
@louisiana_geezer avatar
UTC quote
JLB wrote:
On the other hand, the LT-150 was made in Italy, and the (current) Fly is made in China by Zongshen Piaggio Foshan MC Co Ltd.

The last statement is questionable at best. Truth be told, if there were an American scooter in the competition I'd be inclined to put it atop my shopping list.
@jlb avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
2007 Vespa GTS 250ie

Molto Verboso
@jlb avatar
2007 Vespa GTS 250ie
UTC quote
Louisiana_Geezer wrote:
At the speeds these bikes can do, I think it's got a lot more to do with the size of the driver than aerodynamics. If I weighed under 200 I think I could get this Fly to do 61 MPH.

Oh yeah, it's the LX-150 that has a specified top end of 59 MPH.
Yep, the best way to get more horsepower is to drop 20 pounds.
@jlb avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
2007 Vespa GTS 250ie

Molto Verboso
@jlb avatar
2007 Vespa GTS 250ie
UTC quote
Louisiana_Geezer wrote:
JLB wrote:

The last statement is questionable at best. Truth be told, if there were an American scooter in the competition I'd be inclined to put it atop my shopping list.
OK, I will give you that it is possible that a Piaggio supervised factory in China could turn out a bike with equal build quality as an Italian made Piaggio, but with all of the crap Chinese scooters that are out there, it will be a stigma that will hurt re-sale value, and will be difficult to overcome.

If Piaggio had teamed up with Sym or Kymco in Taiwan to make a partnership with, I think it would not even be mentioned, as their build quality is know as being very good.

Time will tell.....
@jlb avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
2007 Vespa GTS 250ie

Molto Verboso
@jlb avatar
2007 Vespa GTS 250ie
UTC quote
FYI.... here us a killer deal on an LT150 in Florida. Their LT also seems to go 70 mph...

No affiliation.

------------------------------------------

2003 Piaggio (Vespa) LT 150 Scooter -- 70 MPG -- NICE! - $1750 (LeHigh Acres)
Reply to: sale-981813339@craigslist.org [?]
Date: 2009-01-05, 11:51PM EST

This is our BABY! We love this scooter ... made by Piaggio (same as Vespa, sold @ Vespa) goes an EASY 70 MPH with 2 people (350+ lbs.) on it. Great pick-up, super comfortable to ride, smooth ride.

KBB private party value $2,200. Asking just $1,750.

Used for fun joy rides only -- JUST 4,400 miles on her! All regular service done at a Vespa dealer. We'll throw in 2 helmets so you can ride safe too.

Bought from a Vespa Dealer and all service done at a Vespa Dealer. Get 70 MPG -save $$$ and have fun!

Color: Dark Green with Tan Seat

Miles: 4400

MPG: 70

MANUFACTURER Piaggio

MODEL YEAR 2003

MODEL LT 150

M.S.R.P. * $3,399.00

ENGINE Piaggio LEADER single cylinder, 4 stroke, 2 valve with SOHC , Forced air w/integral oil cooler

DISPLACEMENT 149.58cc

BORE X STROKE n/a

CARBURETION n/a

COMPRESSION RATIO n/a

STARTING SYSTEM Electric

TRANSMISSION Automatic with CVT

SUSPENSION Front: Telescopic hydraulic fork

Rear: Single sided with hydraulic damper

BRAKES Front: 220mm disc

Rear: 140mm drum

TIRES Front: Tubeless 80/80-16 in.

Rear: 110/80-16 in.

DRY WEIGHT 233 lbs.

LENGTH 76.4 in.

WIDTH 28.8 in.

SEAT HEIGHT n/a

WHEELBASE 52.5 in.

FUEL CAPACITY 1.82 gal.

She is a GOOD, SOLID scooter that goes FAST! You will love her. Call me for more info or to come see her.

http://fortmyers.craigslist.org/mcy/981813339.html

@judy avatar
UTC

World Traveler

World Traveler
@judy avatar
UTC quote
I like my LT 150 no problems with it other than me trying to kill us both in an accident 2 yrs ago Idiot cut me off and the scoot did better than i did. The fact that it was made in italy might be better than the fly now being made in china. However i haven't heard anybody saying bad things about their flys so it's all about what you want.
OP
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
UTC quote
So far, I do believe the Fly is a class act. There are many people that do bring down the Fly because it's made in China. However, let me point out that the Fly is assembled in China with Piaggio components. But I do believe that the new Fly is stylish, and for the price, you can't beat its performance. Compared to a Vino, the Fly makes it look ridiculous.

There's just one little nitpick that I've always had with the Fly:

That is what cheapens the Fly significantly, especially when the LT's dashboard looks like this:
And the Vespa ET4's dashboard looks like this:
See what I mean about the Fly being cheap next to a Vespa?

But I wonder...has anyone swapped the speedos from an LT onto a Fly? I'm planning to do that.
⚠️ Last edited by President Robert Cooper on UTC; edited 1 time
@louisiana_geezer avatar
UTC

Addicted

Addicted
@louisiana_geezer avatar
UTC quote
First, congrats, Robert, on your new Fly.

I don't have an issue with the LOOK of the dashboard, but I will say that when I am going 30 MPH the speedometer reads 39. I don't think it looks cheap either. I expect that the odometer is effected by the inaccurate speedo as well. Don't know about the gas gauge... If the odometer is correct, my Fly is getting 84 MPG.
@jlb avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
2007 Vespa GTS 250ie

Molto Verboso
@jlb avatar
2007 Vespa GTS 250ie
UTC quote
So far, I do believe the Fly is a class act. There are many people that do bring down the Fly because it's made in China. However, let me point out that the Fly is assembled in China with Piaggio components.
Check the VIN number on the Fly. It is made in China, and should begin with the letters "LBM". The letter "L" designates Chinese manufacture.

It is my understanding that the engine is made in China, and had not heard that the bike was merely assembled in China from Italian parts. Somebody correct me if I am wrong.
@louisiana_geezer avatar
UTC

Addicted

Addicted
@louisiana_geezer avatar
UTC quote
JLB wrote:
So far, I do believe the Fly is a class act. There are many people that do bring down the Fly because it's made in China. However, let me point out that the Fly is assembled in China with Piaggio components.
Check the VIN number on the Fly. It is made in China, and should begin with the letters "LBM". The letter "L" designates Chinese manufacture.

It is my understanding that the engine is made in China, and had not heard that the bike was merely assembled in China from Italian parts. Somebody correct me if I am wrong.
It doesn't matter, JLB. I'd be just as happy with my Fly if it were made in Botswana or Havana. If you extrapolate what you're saying to the auto industry, then a Toyota built in the USA should be inferior to one built in the Far East... or Bolivia or any other plant that company uses. It's all part of the marketing myth that keeps people believing that their Marysville Ohio Honda is better than my Detroit Michigan Ford. While there's a lot of junk coming out of China, there's a lot of junk in Italy too. One of the worst cars I've ever owned was a 1968 Fiat Spyder. I gave up on it after 6 months since it was in the shop more than it was on the road.

True, my Fly is only 7 months old, but unless there's some kind of alarm clock in it that goes off the day after my warranty expires, I'd have to say to you just as I said to a friend who said he buys Japanese cars because he hears that American cars are so unreliable that he doesn't want to get stranded out on the highway. I suspect that the Chinese-built Flys are just as good as the ones that were built in Italy. Only time will tell.
@louisiana_geezer avatar
UTC

Addicted

Addicted
@louisiana_geezer avatar
UTC quote
BTW, My 2008 Fly's VIN starts like this... ZAPM578F38

I do know that the Z indicates Italy; can't say what the other figures represent. Last digits omitted for obvious reasons.
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0524s ][ Queries: 4 (0.0230s) ][ Debug on ][ 309 ][ Thing One ]