Molto Verboso
2007 Vespa GTS 250ie

Molto Verboso
@jlb avatar
2007 Vespa GTS 250ie
UTC quote
Louisiana_Geezer wrote:
BTW, My 2008 Fly's VIN starts like this... ZAPM578F38

I do know that the Z indicates Italy; can't say what the other figures represent. Last digits omitted for obvious reasons.
ZAP is Italy/Piaggio, so it may be that yours is an Italian built Fly.
@jlb avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
2007 Vespa GTS 250ie

Molto Verboso
@jlb avatar
2007 Vespa GTS 250ie
UTC quote
Louisiana_Geezer wrote:
JLB wrote:
President Robert Cooper wrote:
So far, I do believe the Fly is a class act. There are many people that do bring down the Fly because it's made in China. However, let me point out that the Fly is assembled in China with Piaggio components.
Check the VIN number on the Fly. It is made in China, and should begin with the letters "LBM". The letter "L" designates Chinese manufacture.

It is my understanding that the engine is made in China, and had not heard that the bike was merely assembled in China from Italian parts. Somebody correct me if I am wrong.
It doesn't matter, JLB. I'd be just as happy with my Fly if it were made in Botswana or Havana.
I am not disparaging the Fly. I've never ridden one, and they look nice. The only issue is that I believe people will pay more on resale for an Italian built Piaggio rather than a Chinese one, so that is one factor to consider when buying one.

Louisiana_Geezer wrote:
If you extrapolate what you're saying to the auto industry, then a Toyota built in the USA should be inferior to one built in the Far East... or Bolivia or any other plant that company uses. It's all part of the marketing myth that keeps people believing that their Marysville Ohio Honda is better than my Detroit Michigan Ford.
The Honda is superior bceause it doesn't start in a $3,000 hole to pay off retired Honda workers, and can use that $ on better quality materials.
Louisiana_Geezer wrote:
While there's a lot of junk coming out of China, there's a lot of junk in Italy too. One of the worst cars I've ever owned was a 1968 Fiat Spyder. I gave up on it after 6 months since it was in the shop more than it was on the road.
Fiat stands for "Fix it again, Tony".

The new Pandas are supposed to be great cars though.
Louisiana_Geezer wrote:
True, my Fly is only 7 months old, but unless there's some kind of alarm clock in it that goes off the day after my warranty expires, I'd have to say to you just as I said to a friend who said he buys Japanese cars because he hears that American cars are so unreliable that he doesn't want to get stranded out on the highway. I suspect that the Chinese-built Flys are just as good as the ones that were built in Italy. Only time will tell.
Maybe so, but I would pay more for an Italian Fly than a Chinese one, just as the original Vespas would carry a premium value over a Bajaj.

Does that make sense?
OP
@president_robert_cooper avatar
UTC

Hooked
2003 Piaggio LT150 "Blue Hayate"

Hooked
UTC quote
So far, I do believe the Fly is a class act. There are many people that do bring down the Fly because it's made in China. However, let me point out that the Fly is assembled in China with Piaggio components. But I do believe that the new Fly is stylish, and for the price, you can't beat its performance. Compared to a Vino, the Fly makes it look ridiculous.

There's just one little nitpick that I've always had with the Fly:
External inline image provided by member with no explanatory text

That is what cheapens the Fly significantly, especially when the LT's dashboard looks like this:
And the Vespa ET4's dashboard looks like this:
See what I mean about the Fly being cheap next to a Vespa?

But I wonder...has anyone swapped the speedos from an LT onto a Fly? I'm planning to do that.
Sorry...I couldn't get the pics to load properly before, but now I have so i could prove my point.

Overall, the new Fly looks great, and it doesn't bother me that much that it's from China or its resale value won't be so high.

But...there's just something about that dashboard...especially since it could have looked like that...
@jlb avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
2007 Vespa GTS 250ie

Molto Verboso
@jlb avatar
2007 Vespa GTS 250ie
UTC quote
That is what cheapens the Fly significantly, especially when the LT's dashboard looks like this:
That's gotta be an LT 50 dash. The LT 150 has an 80 mph speedo.

But yes, I agree that the LT speedo and the ET-4 are pure class.

I don't dislike the Fly dash, but I prefer the LT dash.
OP
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
UTC quote
JLB wrote:
That's gotta be an LT 50 dash. The LT 150 has an 80 mph speedo.

But yes, I agree that the LT speedo and the ET-4 are pure class.

I don't dislike the Fly dash, but I prefer the LT dash.
Yes, it is a LT50 dash. Also, the LT50 doesn't have that "PIAGGIO CODE" light at the bottom of the speedometer.

Has anyone tried to swap a Fly dashboard for an LT one?
(No I WILL NOT swap a Fly dashboard for an ET dashboard, simply because I have respect for Vespas and if it isn't a Vespa, don't make it into one. Just my opinion.)
@scooterscum avatar
UTC

Piaggio Fly 150

@scooterscum avatar
Piaggio Fly 150
UTC quote
The clock on mine sucks. It loses about a minute every 2 days.

Not that this is real important or anything, just sayin.
OP
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
UTC quote
ScooterScum wrote:
The clock on mine sucks. It loses about a minute every 2 days.

Not that this is real important or anything, just sayin.
Have you checked on how much of your time flies by when you're having so much fun on this scooter?
⬆️    About 6 months elapsed    ⬇️
UTC

Lurker
LT150

Lurker
LT150
UTC quote
HONESTLY how can you even compare the two, the fly is a plastic china version of a vespa, the LT150 is 10 times better no matter what color combination the fly has and the looks alone was a turn off when it first came out, the Liberty in europe is a heck of a lot better then that fly, i hope it fly's off of piaggio's product line and they bring the liberty back from europe, and by the way for the price there is no way i would buy the fly, it could be considered if it was half the price, but congrats to all of you that like the fly. happy motoring broommm broommm
@judy avatar
UTC

World Traveler
2007 LX150 Daring Plum Leonardo Da Vespa

World Traveler
@judy avatar
2007 LX150 Daring Plum Leonardo Da Vespa
UTC quote
I love my classy key for my LT. Black hard plastic with a crystal piaggio symbol. Sweet. My LX key is a blue rubber thing that is filthy already
@super-fly avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
Vespa GTS300ie

Molto Verboso
@super-fly avatar
Vespa GTS300ie
UTC quote
JLB wrote:
So far, I do believe the Fly is a class act. There are many people that do bring down the Fly because it's made in China. However, let me point out that the Fly is assembled in China with Piaggio components.
Check the VIN number on the Fly. It is made in China, and should begin with the letters "LBM". The letter "L" designates Chinese manufacture.

It is my understanding that the engine is made in China, and had not heard that the bike was merely assembled in China from Italian parts. Somebody correct me if I am wrong.
On my 2007 fly
Not sure but the leader engine appears made in italy, but most of the rest are chinese , The wheels have china on then ( have a older spare set 2006 that have italy on them ) , The horn that failed on mine was chinese and I dare say the frame and plastics are made in china .
Have to say apart from the horn I can't fault the rest of the build quality .

The fly is not a cheap version of a vespa , It is a bigger version of the piaggio zip , In my eyes the liberty looks more chinese then the fly Wha? emoticon
@louisiana_geezer avatar
UTC

Addicted
Honda Shadow VLX (Fly 150 sold)

Addicted
@louisiana_geezer avatar
UTC quote
I very much enjoyed my 2008 Fly that had a VIN claiming it was made in Italy.

I'd still be riding it if it could produce ~ 70 MPH. But with 18 wheelers blowing past me in that speed range, the little 150CC Fly just didn't have it. AND, for LESS than half of the price of a Vespa 250CC, you can have all sorts of power/speed on any number of MCs.
UTC

Enthusiast
'08 Piaggio Fly 150

Enthusiast
'08 Piaggio Fly 150
UTC quote
Louisiana_Geezer wrote:
I very much enjoyed my 2008 Fly that had a VIN claiming it was made in Italy.

I'd still be riding it if it could produce ~ 70 MPH. But with 18 wheelers blowing past me in that speed range, the little 150CC Fly just didn't have it. AND, for LESS than half of the price of a Vespa 250CC, you can have all sorts of power/speed on any number of MCs.
Sorry to hear that you gave up your Fly! I agree that a 150cc is poorly suited to the freeway, but you have to admit that the Fly is a champ on city streets. It's quick, nimble, and keeps up nicely with city traffic.

By the way, my '08 Fly has an Italy VIN, too, but the dealer was quite clear that it was made in China...and tried really hard to sell me a Vespa on the strength of that alone! I prevailed, simply because I like the looks of the Fly and you don't see very many around.
@louisiana_geezer avatar
UTC

Addicted

Addicted
@louisiana_geezer avatar
UTC quote
LauraQ wrote:
Sorry to hear that you gave up your Fly! I agree that a 150cc is poorly suited to the freeway, but you have to admit that the Fly is a champ on city streets. It's quick, nimble, and keeps up nicely with city traffic.
Perhaps the drivers in San Diego are a little saner, Laura, but adding 15 MPH to posted speed limits is de rigeur down here. I would never take ANY PTW onto an interstate highway, instead I was referring to the 18-wheeler tankers doing 70+ MPH on little country roads.
UTC

Enthusiast
'08 Piaggio Fly 150

Enthusiast
'08 Piaggio Fly 150
UTC quote
Louisiana_Geezer wrote:
LauraQ wrote:
Perhaps the drivers in San Diego are a little saner, Laura, but adding 15 MPH to posted speed limits is de rigeur down here. I would never take ANY PTW onto an interstate highway, instead I was referring to the 18-wheeler tankers doing 70+ MPH on little country roads.
Wow! I wouldn't say San Diego drivers are any saner (this IS Southern California, after all, where speed limits are routinely ignored), but at least we don't have 18-wheelers doing 70 on roads! In that case, I totally agree with you...bigger scoot is better!
⬆️    About 3 months elapsed    ⬇️
UTC

Lurker
2003 Piaggio LT150

Lurker
2003 Piaggio LT150
UTC quote
Fly 150 vs LT 150
I recently had the misfortune of someone turning left without yielding to me while i was on my 08' Fly 150 (with 4000 miles!). while i was without wheels a buddy of mine sent me a link for an lt 150 off craigslist here in nyc. sometimes things happen for a reason. needless to say i got the bike which is an 03' with only 2300 miles. the lt150 in my opinion is a way nicer bike. the larger wheels really make a difference, especially since i live in a city with more potholes and manhole covers than road. the design of the lt has more class and doesn't look as cheap as my fly did. im missing the extra storage that the fly had, but im planning to get a saddle bag that should fulfill my needs. i parked next to a fly the other day and could help comparing them. everything on the lt is just designed better; better front storage, better mirrors, better foot area,the list goes on-- even a nicer looking key! im very happy with my new bike and i look forward to a beautiful spring day driving over the brooklyn bridge just for kicks.
⬆️    About 14 years elapsed    ⬇️
UTC

Lurker
Fly, Lt150

Lurker
Fly, Lt150
UTC quote
I know this is a zillion years old but….

We have both the Fly150 & Lt150 here in Florida. The Lt150 looks way cooler but the three valve Fly rides much nicer.
We have the Lx150 & a Scarabeo 200 up in Canada.
Both my wife and I think the Fly, which is very ugly, is the best overall scooter of the five we own, especially with the hideous matching Vespa top case.
The Lx is, of course, the easiest to work on. The others are plastic panels wrapped around a frame, which is a pain.
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0470s ][ Queries: 3 (0.0155s) ][ Debug on ][ 309 ][ Thing One ]