UTC

Olivia Newton-John
p200, vbb, gt200, px150, vnb

Olivia Newton-John
@chad avatar
UTC quote
at a stoplight, car full of 4 or 5 college kids. 'nice!! @f#$25 moped, man!.'

i couldn't wait for the light to turn green.

@scoots avatar
UTC

Moderatore Dedicato
GTS250 Gilera Runner SP180

Moderatore Dedicato
@scoots avatar
UTC quote
"Nice car your dad's lent you!!"
OP
@chad avatar
UTC

Olivia Newton-John

Olivia Newton-John
@chad avatar
UTC quote
Scoots wrote:
"Nice car your dad's lent you!!"
now why didn't i think of that? i need to sit down and come up with about 20 of them so that i'm ready next time.

@turkman avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
2009 GTV 250

Ossessionato
@turkman avatar
2009 GTV 250
UTC quote
They were being postive towards you and maybe don't know the difference? If so giving them the thumbs up!
OP
@chad avatar
UTC

Olivia Newton-John

Olivia Newton-John
@chad avatar
UTC quote
i gave them the head nod, but from the expletives and the laughs, i don't think they were trying to compliment me
UTC

Lurker

Lurker
UTC quote
"Thanks, it gets 80 mpg. That way I can afford to take your mom out to a nice dinner every night. She loves it."
@gjco avatar
UTC

Hooked
GT 200-His, LX150-Hers, Road King-Ours

Hooked
@gjco avatar
GT 200-His, LX150-Hers, Road King-Ours
UTC quote
notquitetony wrote:
"Thanks, it gets 80 mpg. That way I can afford to take your mom out to a nice dinner every night. She loves it."
ROFL emoticon ROFL emoticon ROFL emoticon
@cindy avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
2006 Vespa LX150

Molto Verboso
@cindy avatar
2006 Vespa LX150
UTC quote
I hope you left them in your dust. 8)
@farsideman avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
2005 Vespa GT 200

Molto Verboso
@farsideman avatar
2005 Vespa GT 200
UTC quote
One day a few months ago, I was putting on my helmet getting ready for a ride, when a visiting group of teenagers in the driveway next door shouted, "hey...nice moped!" I replied, "have you ever seen a moped that will do 75 mph?" Then I told them it's not a moped. They were just ignorant about scooters, not being mean. It still hurt my feelings, though. Crying or Very sad emoticon
@mjb2448 avatar
UTC

Hooked
LX150

Hooked
@mjb2448 avatar
LX150
UTC quote
It's times like this I truely wish I could projectile vomit on cue.
@jerryg avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
2005 Dragon Red Vespa ET4 Speedster

Ossessionato
@jerryg avatar
2005 Dragon Red Vespa ET4 Speedster
UTC quote
I've had something similar happen to me. I was at a stop light (1st Vehicle) and a car full of teens pulls up next to me and start jawing at me about my "little" scooter. The light turns green and I leave them in the dust. They're flooring mom's car trying to catch up, which they will easily do. I see them gaining momentum and tap my brake, not so much to slow down but to give them the impression I am. As they go by me, I give them a thumbs up. They won't even look over at me. Heh, Heh.
@michael_h avatar
UTC

2006 LX150 "Amadora"

@michael_h avatar
2006 LX150 "Amadora"
UTC quote
I haven't had the moped comment yet - probably more due to the fact that I can't hear them shout it if I am riding However, back in June I was verbally assaulted. I was following behind a Goldwing rider and we both came to a stop light (Sanitorium Road). He waved me up beside him (which I thought was a friendly gesture) but then proceeded to berate me for riding a scooter ! Amongst his choice comments were, "They shouldn't allow those things on the road!" and "You should be embarrased for riding one!" I sat there stunned - that this was someone on a motorcycle saying this, and that anyone could be so angry about scooters to feel the need to vent on a total stranger! I remembered David Hough's comment that sooner or later you will come across the crazed lunatic, and should give them a wide berth. I only expected that they would be riding 4 wheels instead of two. I let him vent, which wasn't too long as the light turned green and he was off.

It made for a colourful entry in my ride journal. I guess it made more of a lasting impression than I first thought, because I can still picture him spouting off. I take the same ride almost every day to work, and have never seen him again.

Lesson learned? If the dog is foaming at the mouth - don't poke it!
@scoots avatar
UTC

Moderatore Dedicato

Moderatore Dedicato
@scoots avatar
UTC quote
Bloody hell,I'm shocked at that!

A bit of friendly taking the P,but that seems WAAAAY ott!!

Still,that's what you get for riding a bike that needs a reverse gear to manouvre it... (Him,not you...)
@michael_h avatar
UTC

2006 LX150 "Amadora"

@michael_h avatar
2006 LX150 "Amadora"
UTC quote
As surprising as it was, it was a "one off" response. Even so, I will probably have my guard up the next time I get waved up in line.
@robotribe avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
In constant state of flux...

Ossessionato
@robotribe avatar
UTC quote
Hell, I'm just impressed that college kids these days in the States even know the word "moped".

Typical college kid:"Moped? Kewl. Is that, like, um, an iPod?"
@beale avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
None! I sold it :(

Ossessionato
@beale avatar
UTC quote
A coworker of mine (Goldwing rider) calls mine a moped all the time. I tried to explain, never sunk in. Now I just say yea I rode, did you? Most times get no response, Beale.
@vespartacus avatar
UTC

Hooked
GT 200

Hooked
@vespartacus avatar
GT 200
UTC quote
harnadem wrote:
... "They shouldn't allow those things on the road!" and "You should be embarrased for riding one!"
That's a bit rich! Coming from a Goldwing rider. Livid emoticon
Next time, just picture him trying to pick his bike up again should it fall over...
@italianscoots avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
2015 Primavera Montebianco "Falcor"

Molto Verboso
@italianscoots avatar
UTC quote
Beale wrote:
A coworker of mine (Goldwing rider) calls mine a moped all the time. I tried to explain, never sunk in. Now I just say yea I rode, did you? Most times get no response, Beale.
My brother in law does this all the time. I ask him (every time) to show me the "ped" and of course this gets him to shut up.

-Mel
@llitten avatar
UTC

Hooked
GTS 300

Hooked
@llitten avatar
GTS 300
UTC quote
A coworker commented on my cute moped. I ended up giving him a mini lecture about the differences between a moped and a scooter (especially a scooter over 50ccs) I think he may have just been making small talk. He kind of had this look on his face when he meandered off (I guess it may have been information overload.)
Somehow this got around at work and I kept getting moped comments all that week. (smartasses...)
Thank goodness they seem to have let it go for a while (it was getting a bit old)
@robotribe avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@robotribe avatar
UTC quote
llitten wrote:
A coworker commented on my cute moped... Somehow this got around at work and I kept getting moped comments all that week. (smartasses...)
Thank goodness they seem to have let it go for a while (it was getting a bit old)
Wow. I just can't get away from this thread without thinking that either I'm in an unusually tolerant and open minded corner of the world or some of you just happen to work with or know some of the most immature pricks I've ever heard of. What? Do these folks have a picture of Calvin pissing on either a Ford or Chevy logo on their cars or trucks? That would explain a lot.
External inline image provided by member with no explanatory text Either that, or no one around my neck of the woods wants to admit they're old enough to remember mopeds.
@steve avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
'06 Vespa LX150, '07 Suzuki Burgman 400, '05 Honda Metropolitan

Ossessionato
@steve avatar
'06 Vespa LX150, '07 Suzuki Burgman 400, '05 Honda Metropolitan
UTC quote
robotribe wrote:
Do these folks have a picture of Calvin pissing on either a Ford or Chevy logo on their cars or trucks? That would explain a lot.
LOL! That definitely would be my neck of the woods. I bet I see some variation of Calvin at *least* once every day, both going to and coming back from work. Of course there are two Ford plants (including the famous Cleveland Ford engine plant) and two GM plants nearby, as well as three or four closed GM or Ford facilties... Everyone has something to piss about or on.
@impelus avatar
UTC

2006 BV500

@impelus avatar
2006 BV500
UTC quote
I'm already feeling the pain, just from telling people my interest in scooters. They can't understand why i just wont go buy a motorcylce. I try to explain why I prefer scooters, but it really is just because "I like scooters better"...
@jet_oil avatar
UTC

Enthusiast
Vespa 250 GTS

Enthusiast
@jet_oil avatar
Vespa 250 GTS
UTC quote
Why dou you guys get so upset about one lousy word. I actually speak of my GTS as a "moped", or "mopo" in Finnish. Some motorcyclists use this also as a friendly word about their bike. "Motorcycle" or "Moottoripyörä" is much too formal to say about your own bike . Well maybe it's a cultural or linguistical thing.
@jona avatar
UTC

Hooked
'06 GTS 250 ie, Black.

Hooked
@jona avatar
'06 GTS 250 ie, Black.
UTC quote
It is weird. I've been riding a 50cc moped with no worries for five years. Having passed my full motorcycle test last week, I'm going to pick up a GTS, but for some reason no-one can understand why I don't suddenly want a massive motorbike instead.

Guess it's just one of those things you need to try for yourself. I was tempted briefly by a proper bike, but the weight and impracticality soon saw the GTS back on top. And besides, it's the reason I went ahead and got the license, so it's where my heart is...
@scoots avatar
UTC

Moderatore Dedicato

Moderatore Dedicato
@scoots avatar
UTC quote
A "proper" bike??..but got a scooter instead!!

Go and stand in the corner,Jon!!
@jona avatar
UTC

Hooked
'06 GTS 250 ie, Black.

Hooked
@jona avatar
'06 GTS 250 ie, Black.
UTC quote
Er, you're right, forgot those all-important inverted commas there!
@beale avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@beale avatar
UTC quote
robotribe wrote:
llitten wrote:
A coworker commented on my cute moped... Somehow this got around at work and I kept getting moped comments all that week. (smartasses...)
Wow. I just can't get away from this thread without thinking that either I'm in an unusually tolerant and open minded corner of the world or some of you just happen to work with or know some of the most immature pricks I've ever heard of. What? Do these folks have a picture of Calvin pissing on either a Ford or Chevy logo on their cars or trucks? That would explain a lot.
External inline image provided by member with no explanatory text Either that, or no one around my neck of the woods wants to admit they're old enough to remember mopeds.
Well here in Red Neck central USA that sticker is on at least 1/2 the trucks. In all honesty I see a lot of these type of stickers and worse on cars and trucks. I know folks around this area that will not buy other autos/trucks than their brand. I guess part of it is being in an area that understands scooters, or at least tries, Beale.
@vespasfw3 avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
2006 Vespa GTS250ie, 2004 Vespa ET4, 2022 Royal Enfield Himalayan, 2001 Kawasaki W650, 2023 Honda Trail 125.

Ossessionato
@vespasfw3 avatar
2006 Vespa GTS250ie, 2004 Vespa ET4, 2022 Royal Enfield Himalayan, 2001 Kawasaki W650, 2023 Honda Trail 125.
UTC quote
I don't respond to the "hecklers" on the road. Too many crazy people to be poking back at. Wearing a full face helmet makes it real easy to pretend I don't hear...

At work I used to get comments but riding through the winter and in every storm---seeing that Vespa parked all alone in those motorcycle spaces has silenced everyone.

When I actually come face to face with other riders who question the wisdom of the Vespa I truthfully answer that I rode a 1200 Sportster as a kid. Riding motorcycles is too easy. I prefer the mental, physical, and emotional challenge of the Vespa.... A few ask me to explain but most shut up with a confused look on their face.

steve
@robotribe avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@robotribe avatar
UTC quote
Beale wrote:
Well here in Red Neck central USA that sticker is on at least 1/2 the trucks. In all honesty I see a lot of these type of stickers and worse on cars and trucks. I know folks around this area that will not buy other autos/trucks than their brand. I guess part of it is being in an area that understands scooters, or at least tries, Beale.
We've also had a few sightings here out west of those stickers. The variety is astounding...
UTC

LX150

LX150
UTC quote
Ah yes, the moped/scooter confusion. I've set people straight about the differences a few times myself. I have a friend that still calls it a moped, and not in a snide remark kind of way. I learned to let it go. Besides, I've come across a much more troubling confusion then the moped/scooter and that is with people confusing my scooter with those other contraptions that carry the same name.

I was getting my hair cut and for conversation I was talking about riding my scooter and going ons with the scooter club. The gal cutting my hair was giving me some confused and inquisitive looks which I took to mean she didn't know anything about the scooter scene and of course proceeded to explain it more thoroughly. Near the end of my hair cut, I mentioned my scooter club's name, Vespa Club of Seattle. Within a second of saying Vespa, all the confusion in her face washed away and she chimed, "You drive a Vespa! This whole time I was thinking you where riding a Razor scooter."

My reply to this was, "A Razor, how is that what you imagine when you here someone say scooter?"

"Well you shouldn't call it a scooter, you should just say Vespa", she answered.

The following time I went in for a haircut, we had nearly an identical conversation to the one above. Since this horribly confusing incident, I use Vespa more often, in place of scooter when casually talking to someone about what I ride.

Come on, a Razor!? That is way worse then having someone confuse my scooter with a moped.
@those_darn_mccabes avatar
UTC

Enthusiast
Thunderturd, P200s, GS 150, Allstate 788-101, Vespa S

Enthusiast
@those_darn_mccabes avatar
Thunderturd, P200s, GS 150, Allstate 788-101, Vespa S
UTC quote
Here in Portland, I'm not cool enough to hang out with those moped toughies. Consider it a compliment.
Dave
@lomunchi avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
2020 Honda NC750DCT

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@lomunchi avatar
2020 Honda NC750DCT
UTC quote
Today at lunch I rode across town to get a haircut. On a highway along the way at a stop light an Escalade pulls up next to me and a rather buff African American gentleman (considerable bling detected) pulls up next to me and rolls down the window and yells, "nice motorcycle, man, how much did it cost?" I'm thinking, "motorcycle"? So I guess it goes both ways.

After our brief discussion I pulled away to do 0 - 55 in nothing.nothing flat. I think I made a sale today!
@italianscoots avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso

Molto Verboso
@italianscoots avatar
UTC quote
I had a comment last night from a lady biker, she rode a red nighthawk and I saw her pull up to where I work. I told her how nice it was to see a woman on a bike and she asked me if I ride and what I ride - her eyes lit up when I told her I rode a Vespa.

She said that we're "braver" than motorcycle riders because we're smaller and cars don't see us. She was totally nice and was very cool.

-Mel
@scoots avatar
UTC

Moderatore Dedicato

Moderatore Dedicato
@scoots avatar
UTC quote
italianscoots wrote:
her eyes lit up when I told her I rode a Vespa.

So why doesn't this work for me.... Livid emoticon
@tikka avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
07 GTS250ie VCOA#2794

Ossessionato
@tikka avatar
07 GTS250ie VCOA#2794
UTC quote
I had a guy last week approach after exiting a highway to say ... "man, is that thing a moped or a scooter cause I want to get something like that!"

I laughed and said it was a scooter. He could not believe how fast I was going on the highway. He then asked about MPG. When I told him around 70 his jaw dropped and he started shaking his head as I took off. Laughing emoticon
OP
@chad avatar
UTC

Olivia Newton-John

Olivia Newton-John
@chad avatar
UTC quote
italianscoots wrote:
I had a comment last night from a lady biker, she rode a red nighthawk and I saw her pull up to where I work. I told her how nice it was to see a woman on a bike and she asked me if I ride and what I ride - her eyes lit up when I told her I rode a Vespa.

She said that we're "braver" than motorcycle riders because we're smaller and cars don't see us. She was totally nice and was very cool.

-Mel
WHY DOES THIS NEVER HAPPEN TO ME???????
@judy avatar
UTC

World Traveler
2007 LX150 Daring Plum Leonardo Da Vespa

World Traveler
@judy avatar
2007 LX150 Daring Plum Leonardo Da Vespa
UTC quote
I would of said my vespa cost more than your car with a smile and then left them to eat my dust as i sped off. I saw a true moped yesterday in honolulu. This 70yr old guy wearing a construction helmut was riding this skinny moped. Wasn't a motorized bike. I was to far away to get the make but it looked as old as he was. I can safely say i have never seen a constuction helmut used as a helmut. It didn't have a chinstrap. I watched the news i guess he is stillalive. He was sitting in a busy 4 way intersection trying to make a left turn nobody was yelling at him!
@salty_dodd avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
(GT200L) ... no more scoot :o(

Molto Verboso
@salty_dodd avatar
(GT200L) ... no more scoot :o(
UTC quote
mjb2448 wrote:
Nya.

I can hock a pretty good loogie, but I wear a full faced helmet.
@michael_h avatar
UTC

2006 LX150 "Amadora"

@michael_h avatar
2006 LX150 "Amadora"
UTC quote
salty dodd wrote:
mjb2448 wrote:
Nya.

I can hock a pretty good loogie, but I wear a full faced helmet.
Yet another skill they should be teaching at school!
@grind avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@grind avatar
UTC quote
Beale wrote:
Call his a "hog". See if it sparks a correction, then remind that that's how you feel when he calls you Vespa a "moped".
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0245s ][ Queries: 4 (0.0083s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]