UTC

Olivia Newton-John
p200, vbb, gt200, px150, vnb

Olivia Newton-John
@chad avatar
p200, vbb, gt200, px150, vnb
UTC quote
got my new hjc sy-max flip-up today. first thoughts:

wind/noise levels are really cleared up! going 55+ it seems like i'm going 35 or 40. i'll have to watch it in corners, etc. to make surei'm not going too fast.

one thing creeps me out though. it seems as my field of vision is DRAMATICALLY reduced. going through turns or doing heads checks is a little wierd. maybe this full face thing just takes a little getting used to, but i feel like i'm 'more dangerous' now. the full face makes me feel like i'm disconnected from the bike somehow.
@mtn_horn avatar
UTC

Hooked
1 white 300, 1 black 300; the yin and yang scooters

Hooked
@mtn_horn avatar
1 white 300, 1 black 300; the yin and yang scooters
UTC quote
Re: first thoughts on a full face helmet
chad wrote:
...going 55+ it seems like i'm going 35 or 40.
one thing creeps me out though. it seems as my field of vision is DRAMATICALLY reduced. going through turns or doing heads checks is a little wierd. maybe this full face thing just takes a little getting used to, but i feel like i'm 'more dangerous' now. the full face makes me feel like i'm disconnected from the bike somehow.
After reading posts on MV for a couple of months, I bought a full-face helmet to replace my 3/4 helmet. I rode with it for the first time Friday and had exactly the same sensations you mentioned. I had to adjust my mirrors (no biggie, of course), and it's more difficult to glance down at the speedometer. I definitely increased my speed without knowing it - I passed one of those radar machines that gives you your speed and I was going 15 mph faster than I thought! The other really weird feeling was that "disconnected" feeling. I'm not going to stop using the FF, but I wonder how long before I'm used to it?
@turkman avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
2009 GTV 250

Ossessionato
@turkman avatar
2009 GTV 250
UTC quote
Full Face helmet
You'll get use to wearing it just like anything else.........remember the first time you rode a scooter.....weird wasn't it?
@prcrstn8 avatar
UTC

Addicted
2006 GT

Addicted
@prcrstn8 avatar
2006 GT
UTC quote
After a while you'll feel naked when you wear your old helmet.

Or something like that
@nukie avatar
UTC

Addicted
GTS250 "Atomic Blast", GT200 Blue and White "Alfie", SQREAM Scooter Club

Addicted
@nukie avatar
GTS250 "Atomic Blast", GT200 Blue and White "Alfie", SQREAM Scooter Club
UTC quote
You will get use to it. I have a 3/4 also and now that feels weird to me when I have to wear it. And I feel way less protected. I feel the safest with my full face.

As far as the vision goes, you're still seeing way more than you would in a cage!
@michael_h avatar
UTC

2006 LX150 "Amadora"

@michael_h avatar
2006 LX150 "Amadora"
UTC quote
Re: first thoughts on a full face helmet
mtn_horn wrote:
I wonder how long before I'm used to it?
I find myself reaching up to adjust my glasses, or cover a cough, and banging my hand on the face shield I guess I have gotten used enough to the helmet to forget to raise the visor!

I haven't noticed the restricted peripheral vision issues others have raised. Perhaps that is because I do wear glasses, so am used to having to turn my head more to check my peripheral vision.
@hayes avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
2005 vespa px125 (sold) + 1998 Yamaha XJ600N

Molto Verboso
@hayes avatar
2005 vespa px125 (sold) + 1998 Yamaha XJ600N
UTC quote
You wull get used to it. When I wear my 3/4 after wearing my FF for a whilme it feels weird as well. Just a matter of getting used to. But remember the FF should be safer...
@scoots avatar
UTC

Moderatore Dedicato
GTS250 Gilera Runner SP180

Moderatore Dedicato
@scoots avatar
GTS250 Gilera Runner SP180
UTC quote
Wait till you sneeze in there....
@vespasfw3 avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
2006 Vespa GTS250ie, 2004 Vespa ET4, 2022 Royal Enfield Himalayan, 2001 Kawasaki W650, 2023 Honda Trail 125.

Ossessionato
@vespasfw3 avatar
2006 Vespa GTS250ie, 2004 Vespa ET4, 2022 Royal Enfield Himalayan, 2001 Kawasaki W650, 2023 Honda Trail 125.
UTC quote
I've been wearing a full-face helmet almost everyday for the past 12 months. My perception of the loss of peripheral vision disappeared after a few days. Now I have no sense of being robbed of anything and I have developed a scanning mode where my head turns a bit more that with a 3/4 helmet or no helmet.

I do feel naked without a helmet. Sometimes after washing the scooter I will run up the street to blow off the water from underneath---50 years or so. It's weird not having a helmet.

I have also been wearing foam earplugs for the last 10 months---always. I've found it much easier to focus on riding and the bike. Also have found no loss of awareness of traffic----it just rolls off all that high frequency noise. When I stop and pull them out the world sounds so crisp as opposed to the way things were when I was riding without them.

steve
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0149s ][ Queries: 3 (0.0054s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]