OP
UTC

UTC quote
I'm now neck-deep in my P200 project bike, and it needs a lot more than I originally thought (I suppose that's always the case ). So, I've made out my loooong list of items, notably: fender, cables & housings, horn cover, seat, brake pads, centerstand, fuel & oil hoses, and so much more.

I have either ordered from or know of three different places:

Scooterworks
Scooters Originali
Motorsport Scooters

So in your humble opinions, where would I be best off ordering these and other items from? My order of importance:

1. Quality Parts
2. Price
3. Customer service/knowledge of scoots
4. Selection/availability of items I need
5. Shipping price

My local scooter shop has suggested Motorsport, but I just wonder which of the above (or any that I may not know of) would be my best bet? Are all scooter shops created equal? Hope this doesn't sound like a loaded question, and I don't want it to turn in to bashing or bad-mouthing, but if I can get the same quality of parts from one place, but cheaper than the others, that's where I'd like to shop.

Thanks!
@snapshot05 avatar
UTC

WHOoligan
1985 PX200E Arcobaleno : 2010/14 GTS300 S: RIP GTS250 @ 40K

WHOoligan
@snapshot05 avatar
1985 PX200E Arcobaleno : 2010/14 GTS300 S: RIP GTS250 @ 40K
UTC quote
Re: Where should I buy my scooter parts?
ocsfan wrote:
I'm now neck-deep in my P200 project bike, and it needs a lot more than I originally thought (I suppose that's always the case ). So, I've made out my loooong list of items, notably: fender, cables & housings, horn cover, seat, brake pads, centerstand, fuel & oil hoses, and so much more.

I have either ordered from or know of three different places:

Scooterworks
Scooters Originali
Motorsport Scooters

So in your humble opinions, where would I be best off ordering these and other items from? My order of importance:

1. Quality Parts
2. Price
3. Customer service/knowledge of scoots
4. Selection/availability of items I need
5. Shipping price

My local scooter shop has suggested Motorsport, but I just wonder which of the above (or any that I may not know of) would be my best bet? Are all scooter shops created equal? Hope this doesn't sound like a loaded question, and I don't want it to turn in to bashing or bad-mouthing, but if I can get the same quality of parts from one place, but cheaper than the others, that's where I'd like to shop.

Thanks!
Scooters Originali - Andrea
Motorsport Scooters - Max

Both know their stuff.

Shipping maybe cheaper with Max since UT is closer.

But your gonna have price out the parts, compare and factor shipping.

Though I hear Andrea has an English Accent and might sound sexier on the phone than Max.

I dont know anything about scooterworks.

Choose wisely grasshopper

Manny
@steveinsac avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
2007 GT200 1979 P200E 1980 P200E 2011 Triumph America

Molto Verboso
@steveinsac avatar
UTC quote
+1 for motorsport. I don't know I think Max sounds sexier. ROFL emoticon
@nigelthefish avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
ET2, PX150

Ossessionato
@nigelthefish avatar
ET2, PX150
UTC quote
+1 for motorsports....yeah, Max doesn't sound sexy to me.
@oldstlraver avatar
UTC

Hooked
81 - P200E

Hooked
@oldstlraver avatar
81 - P200E
UTC quote
I've purchased most of my parts from Scooterworks.

With Scooterworks, I find that the prices are reasonable. Their huge plus is I get my orders on my doorstep like 1 or 2 days from when I order. Its probably because I am in St Louis and Scooterworks is in Chicago, but even then, I'd expect 3-4 day turnaround for most companies.

I just placed an order for some parts from MotorSport this past week, so I'll know better about their shipping in a day or so. The main reason why I ordered the parts from MotorSport was the carb was like $25 cheaper. This isn't true for all parts where one shop or the other may have better prices.

In reality, I would suspect that any of the main shops should be pretty reliable and competitive.
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
UTC quote
+1 MOTORSPORT!

BUT

Andrea sounds way hotter!
UTC

nothing at all

nothing at all
UTC quote
i found on some parts the price can be quite different.

as with a t5 carb.

one shop has it for as much as 150 and another for as little as 99,go figure.

motorsport is popular here.

i think more importantly is that you should always build a relationship with whom ever you choose.

@latinguy avatar
UTC

Hooked
A Rally and P

Hooked
@latinguy avatar
A Rally and P
UTC quote
I've ordered from both Motorsport and Scooterworks and have had pleasant experiences. I've been told that Scooterworks does mess up orders now and then. I've no personal experience with Scooters Originali, but know for a fact that MANY people on this board love them.

That being said, stick with Motorsport and Originali. They help sponsor MV, so spread the love around.
OP
UTC

UTC quote
Went with Motorsport. Would have gone with Originali, but Andrea transferred me to someone else. Crying or Very sad emoticon

In all seriousness, just felt that the Motorsport guy (Steve, in this case) was just REALLY informative, patient, and very cool. I gave him the full list of everything I need, and he had a written quote to me within 5 minutes. Originali was cheaper or the same on virtually everything, but not by much. Would have saved perhaps $20 had I gone with them, on a $400 order. $400?!? ... Crying or Very sad emoticon
UTC

nothing at all

nothing at all
UTC quote
i wish 400 was always the case.
UTC

Hooked
08 s150, 79 P200E

Hooked
08 s150, 79 P200E
UTC quote
ocsfan wrote:
Went with Motorsport. Would have gone with Originali, but Andrea transferred me to someone else. Crying or Very sad emoticon

In all seriousness, just felt that the Motorsport guy (Steve, in this case) was just REALLY informative, patient, and very cool. I gave him the full list of everything I need, and he had a written quote to me within 5 minutes. Originali was cheaper or the same on virtually everything, but not by much. Would have saved perhaps $20 had I gone with them, on a $400 order. $400?!? ... Crying or Very sad emoticon
The guys at Motorsport are a good bunch. Steve is f'n hilarious in person and Max is super nice and helpful. Fortunately, I have the benefit of being able to walk 2 blocks to Motorsport for my parts needs but would still use them if I had to mail order.
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
UTC quote
tater wrote:
ocsfan wrote:

The guys at Motorsport are a good bunch. Steve is f'n hilarious in person and Max is super nice and helpful. Fortunately, I have the benefit of being able to walk 2 blocks to Motorsport for my parts needs but would still use them if I had to mail order.
+1

And their shop is cool...I could be there all day
@steveinsac avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso

Molto Verboso
@steveinsac avatar
UTC quote
tater wrote:
That could get expensive!
UTC

Banned

Banned
UTC quote
American Scooter Center. Period. They know their shit, and you can't order online, which is a good thing. You talk to a real life human being, and can make sure your parts will fit your project.

They have been is the business for years, and I personally have had nothing but a great experience ordering from them.
UTC

Hooked
08 s150, 79 P200E

Hooked
08 s150, 79 P200E
UTC quote
SteveinSac wrote:
tater wrote:
That could get expensive!
It does.
UTC

Molto Verboso
PX200E X 2

Molto Verboso
PX200E X 2
UTC quote
motorsport scooters is great, Ive bought everything from oil filters for the Lt to complete factory 2 stroke engine$.
@chad avatar
UTC

Olivia Newton-John
p200, vbb, gt200, px150, vnb

Olivia Newton-John
@chad avatar
p200, vbb, gt200, px150, vnb
UTC quote
i spread the wealth around between those 3, but most orders end up at motorsport. scooterworks is nice though, because you always get candy.
@jeremy_w avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
79 P200e, 81 100 Sport

Molto Verboso
@jeremy_w avatar
79 P200e, 81 100 Sport
UTC quote
I have been spreading the love too, mainly between Motorsport and Scooterworks.

My new local Genuine Scooter Dealer is also a parts dealer through Scooterworks. In order to throw him some love, I have been ordering stuff from Scooterworks, through him.

With that I say - go as local as you can.
⚠️ Last edited by Jeremy W on UTC; edited 1 time
UTC

nothing at all

nothing at all
UTC quote
i like what jeremy says about local.

it's the only way i can be sure of what i'm getting.

for instance,kyle needed a cdi,there are two avalable for the p.

one ducati the other a nock off of the oe black one.

now,i would have bought the nock off because it looks exactley like the oe.

but that would have been a mistake because the ducati is only 5 - 10 bucks more and probably better.

so with that said i like calling bar italia and let them order my parts and then i pick them up from them.

bam,local
@checkflag avatar
UTC

Hooked
1978 Vespa P200e

Hooked
@checkflag avatar
1978 Vespa P200e
UTC quote
I pretty much buy 85% of all my scooter stuff from Bar Italia. Great prices,
and a lot of knowledge in that shop.

The other 15% of stuff I get is spread between Scooterworks, Motorsport,
Scooter Parts Direct, SIP.
UTC

Vespa

Vespa
UTC quote
I have a '58 and a '66 and buy most of my stuff from Garner's Classic Scooters in Dallas.
OP
UTC

UTC quote
I've ordered from Garner's (about 10+ years ago), and he is a WAY cool guy. I'm going to start throwing more business his way, too...
@gtsberg avatar
UTC

Hooked
'79 P200

Hooked
@gtsberg avatar
'79 P200
UTC quote
He's gettin' crabbier by the year. A buddy of mine walked into his place, and Garner says: "Are you one of them Dallas yuppies? I hate yuppies." He can be a real bastard from what I hear. I've never set foot in the place. Maybe he likes whiskey. Laughing emoticon
@apdx avatar
UTC

Hooked
Vespa T5, Vespa P200E

Hooked
@apdx avatar
Vespa T5, Vespa P200E
UTC quote
GTSBERG wrote:
He's gettin' crabbier by the year. A buddy of mine walked into his place, and Garner says: "Are you one of them Dallas yuppies? I hate yuppies." He can be a real bastard from what I hear. I've never set foot in the place. Maybe he likes whiskey. Laughing emoticon
sounds like my kind of shopkeep. both in the yuppy hating department, and the whiskey liking department.

i just checked out the site, and he's got a Cosa for sale. i wanted one of those pretty badly before i got my T5.
UTC

Hooked
PX 150 and GTS 300 HPE Super Tech

Hooked
PX 150 and GTS 300 HPE Super Tech
UTC quote
I've bought a lot from Scooterworks and from Motorsport Scooters. I now buy only from Motorsport Scooters. There are nice folks answering the phones in both shops, but Scooterworks has designated hours for tech help. My call to Ryan there for tech help (during the designated hours) went unanswered and unreturned. Pus I bought a fuel tap there that broke apart as I tried to insert the clevis pin (must have been made of yak sh@t or some similar material). I then ordered a tap from Motorsport Scooters and it was italian made and the quality was evident. I also always get to talk with someone who really knows scooters when I call Motorsport, be it Max or Steve or whoever. It is not that I would never buy from Scooterworks again, but I've had a better experience with Motorsport.
@oldstlraver avatar
UTC

Hooked
81 - P200E

Hooked
@oldstlraver avatar
81 - P200E
UTC quote
OK. So, I've gotten a few orders from Both Scooterworks and Motorsport over the past month. Again, with the distance from St Louis to Scooterworks (Chicago), I must say the shipping times for me are just crazy fast. I order something, and it appears like the next day or the day after that. I just don't get it sometimes. Also, the Scooterworks people really know how to pack their items. There is no way any of the items I received would ever get hurt during shipping.

For Motorsport, the shipping time takes about as long (or maybe slightly longer) as I'd expect from San Diego to St Louis (about 5 business days). They seem to like to recycle shipping boxes, which sort of throws you off when you receive items. But heck, if it saves the environment, I don't mind. The packing can be slightly on the low side. I know UPS likes about a 2" buffer around and item in a box, and this didn't happen for the items I ordered. The items I got appeared at my doorstep with no issues, so its sort of a moot point. But I do like a company to ship items properly packed.

Most of the items both shops have look to be about the same. As a matter of fact, alot of the items use the exact same product number, so some of the things I looked for at one, I could easily compare at the other.

In any case, for me it just comes down to price. Both of the shops have been fanastic with getting my proper order, so its a tossup for me. If its the same price and I need the item quick, I order from Scooterworks. Othe rthan that, I'll order from the cheaper site.
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.1229s ][ Queries: 29 (0.0907s) ][ Debug on ][ 313 ][ Thing One ]