@shellee avatar
UTC

Enthusiast
Piaggio Fly 150

Enthusiast
@shellee avatar
Piaggio Fly 150
UTC quote
Wow! That's great news to hear that Chris from CT won the Kymco!! Believe me when I say that no one deserves it more than Chris does. He's a huge scooting enthusiast who supports so many of our east coast (and beyond!) events, and he's always the one reaching out to help anyone who needs a hand, a ride, a tool, whatever. Congratulations to Chris!
@tfauch avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso

Molto Verboso
@tfauch avatar
UTC quote
I met Chris earlier this summer. He's a good guy and I'm glad he won too.

Nice job KYMCO !!! 8)
JerryG wrote:
oh.. and if you want to make inroads in the US, you DO go to it's biggest Rally with a Modern Vespa to Raffle off (customized, one of a kind paint scheme), and you hope some Vintage guy gets it. Then he shows up here saying how much he loves his Vintage bike, but doesn't ride it much anymore because the Auto is so reliable and so much easier all around. And it's just good damn publicity. And it's called AmeriVESPA. And your competition is there trying to sell your people, their scooter. Sheesh!

Yawn emoticon Wake Up!!!!!!!

and don't snub Nukie. Jerks
Tim

External inline image provided by member with no explanatory text
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
UTC quote
Earl from the Scarabs Denver is riding the Cannonball on a Kymco (I think it's a Bet n Win 250) and they are sponsoring him in full or in part, I think. He's a great guy. His daughter, Kristin, is also in the Scarabs. She's the manager at the venue where the Sunday raffle was held and is also a great person and avid rider.

Again, big massive props to Kymco. They generated a HUGE bump in their reputation and status as a player in the market. Having 500+ scooterist opinion leaders thinking you are cool can not be a bad thing.

Kymco sells good scoots. But more than that, they seem to have the enthusiasm and support for scootering in the US which Vespa, sadly, is lacking. And I'll bet their people read this forum, too.
@coley avatar
UTC

Addicted
'83 PX125E (little Red) / '09 Fuoco (unnamed)

Addicted
@coley avatar
'83 PX125E (little Red) / '09 Fuoco (unnamed)
UTC quote
I don't know if it's been brought up yet - but maybe Vespa USA should take a page out of their Canadian counterparts' book.

Vespa Canada / Canadian Scooter Corp, and our local dealers have been extremely supportive recently from what I've seen. This is just in the past two months:

- there was an open invitation to the local scoot community to the 60th Anniversary bash at VC/CSC HQ, free food and drinks (well sponsored), live band, gift bags, and a scooter was given away (I think it was an LX150, though it could have just been a 50)

- at AlphaScoot VC/CSC ponied up another scooter to give away. 4 raffle tickets were pulled, and the 'contestants' had to compete in a rock/paper/scissors throw-down. Motoretta in the Beaches supplied breakfast, a mod shop donated prizes for the obstacle course and concours.

- Burlington Vespa coordinates a monthly ride, and serves up awesome espresso.

Just the fact that the local dealers and service staff are out on a regular basis and part of the scooter community showing their love, says a lot. A few of us showed up early for the ride on Sunday and ran into a couple Vespatistas at the cafe two doors down - they're not just "dealers" - they're friends - they're "one of us". THEY GET IT

Is there a trend here? These are all dedicated Vespa shops - not motorcycle dealers who've added scooters to their line-up.
@nukie avatar
UTC

Addicted
GTS250 "Atomic Blast", GT200 Blue and White "Alfie", SQREAM Scooter Club

Addicted
@nukie avatar
UTC quote
Cardiac brings up some good points. The problem as I see it in the United States is that Piaggio USA does not seem to "get it". Many local dealers get it and support local events. Our Vespa dealer in Denver, Erico Motorsports, was a huge supporter of Amerivespa. They put out lots of money and worked to get food, water and other things donated for the event. And they put lots of time into the planning of Amerivespa as well. But they could not get Piaggio USA to see the value in supporting the event. Some people understand good marketing, ie, Kymco, Erico Motorsports, the Vespa Club of America, etc. And others don't. I know there are Vespa dealers out there too that don't get it and don't support local scooter events. And that's a shame. It's kind of a free for all with all the Vespa dealers. Everyone is left to their own devices. The ones with smart marketing skills and that support their scooter communities will survive, and the ones that don't probably will not. But they don't seem to get the support and "leading by example" for the top that would make a difference.
OP
@cfargo avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
Many

Ossessionato
@cfargo avatar
Many
UTC quote
Living 50 miles NE of San Francisco, I have 7 Vespa Dealers within 100 miles of me and I have seen very little to no support from them to the Scooter Community. Although I have seen raffle items donated by Vespa SF in the past.

This is why when I wanted to buy a replacement scooter, I drove 380 miles to Vespa of Santa Barbara as I want to support those who support us. Of the 7 local dealers, I'm not saying there bad (except for 1), I'm just saying I want to support those who go out of their way to support us.
@chad avatar
UTC

Olivia Newton-John
p200, vbb, gt200, px150, vnb

Olivia Newton-John
@chad avatar
UTC quote
this is a direct quote from my piaggio dealer last year:

"i don't need marketing, i don't need advertising, i don't even need salespeople, these things sell themselves."

until that changes, i don't think most vespa dealers will "get it."
@greyhound avatar
UTC

06 GTS250 - Cannonballer

@greyhound avatar
06 GTS250 - Cannonballer
UTC quote
regarding the dealers....
I look at dealers on a case by case judgement. As with any type of retailer some are great sales people and offer great customer service others fall short.

Amerivespa would not have been as successful as it was without Erico. Tai spent hours on the phone with me offering numerous suggestions and solutions to problems. She was a total champion when it came to press packets, media contacts and getting the local WB station on board for Thursday morning. She knows how to do it.

My local Vespa dealership - Vespa Oklahoma advertises in American Scooterist to support the VCOA and they have personally supported me as my primary sponsor in the 2006 Cannon ball Run. They too see the value.

Last year Vespa Ohio was a huge part of Amerivespa in Cleveland. They totally stepped up and they were a relatively new dealership.

There are numerous Vespa dealerships that support the "scene" beyond selling a product.

Dealership support for the US is one of the major snafu zones that Piaggio is scrambling to fix. Service bays full of scooters waiting for a $27.00 part that takes 3 months to get can really cramp your profit margin!

The world can be a difficult place to do business.

JD
@jerryg avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
2005 Dragon Red Vespa ET4 Speedster

Ossessionato
@jerryg avatar
UTC quote
Vespa is still trying to sell the lifestyle, rather than daily transportation. This is evident when the dealer has lots of $50 leather Vespa keyrings but can't get you an oil filter Crying or Very sad emoticon
@jrsjr avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
Nazgul

Molto Verboso
@jrsjr avatar
Nazgul
UTC quote
Re: It's all my fault!!!!!!
Greyhound wrote:
Well kids - here's the scoop...

Some people think corporate sponsorship is evil. I think it is the only way to make an event a success without taking the club bank account into the RED.

I sure as hell didn't hear one single complaint about how painful is was to drink FREE beer at the banquet or how shitty is was to have to choose which bike to ride for the demo rides, or how one of the six meals provided through out the weekend were unacceptable.

Rallies cost money. Money not found on trees has to be found elsewhere.
Thanks for giving us the skinny JD. I don't think you'll find many folks here who think corporate rally sponsorship is a bad thing. It sounds like Kymco helped make the rally a roaring success. Viva la Amerivespa!!!
Greyhound wrote:
See ya next year if not sooner...
I'll be seeing you way sooner.
@those_darn_mccabes avatar
UTC

Enthusiast
Thunderturd, P200s, GS 150, Allstate 788-101, Vespa S

Enthusiast
UTC quote
Quote:
Kevin wrote:
It's possible Vespa just sees the rallies as a place where vintage riders hang out and they want to focus there marketing efforts on new scooter converts.

then Jess wrote:
I think there's something to this -- most of the rally-going vintage riders I know are either dismissive of the modern Vespas or generally uninterested. Sometimes I feel as if I'm invisible to them. Not that I'm defending Piaggio here, but they may very well see this phenomenon and take it as a sign to market elsewhere.
Jess, One of the reasons that I'm particularly excited about Amerivespa 2007 in Seattle is the Vespa Club of Seattle. People on this board and those outside of the NW would be blown away by the number of modern Vespas who participate in the VCOS and show up for Seattle Insanity. My rough guess is that about 60 percent of the bikes at Insanity are modern Vespas. There is no other city in the U.S. that has an active modern Vespa scene like Seattle.

Who cares if a few vintage scooter riders disdain the new Vespas, you win and gain acceptance by getting out there and participating! I think modern Vespa riders would lose a huge part of the fun of the hobby if they lost the connection with all of the Vespa history and tradition. We need to work to interest vintage riders in new scooters and visa versa.

So there!

Luv,
Dave
⚠️ Last edited by Those Darn McCabes on UTC; edited 1 time
@tikka avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
07 GTS250ie VCOA#2794

Ossessionato
@tikka avatar
07 GTS250ie VCOA#2794
UTC quote
Those Darn McCabes wrote:
Who cares if a few vintage scooter riders disdain the new Vespas, you win and gain acceptance by getting out there and participating! I think modern Vespa lose a huge part of the fun of the hobby if they lose touch of the Vespa history and tradition. We need to work to interest vintage riders in new scooters and visa versa.

So there!

Luv,
Dave
This is right on the money! My club in Philly is pretty tolerant of any scoot as long as it goes fast enough for the ride. Vespa and many of it's dealers are missing the opportunity to influence vintage riders that modern Vespa's are cool too! My thought was if a Vespa or a local dealer did more to bring the vintage and modern crowd together they would all be more profitable and it would help the scootering community overall.

I think the new Vespa/Piaggio marketing dude from Harley should wall paper his office with this thread!! It could be his marketing plan for FY07!
@nukie avatar
UTC

Addicted

Addicted
@nukie avatar
UTC quote
Those Darn McCabes wrote:
Who cares if a few vintage scooter riders disdain the new Vespas, you win and gain acceptance by getting out there and participating! I think modern Vespa lose a huge part of the fun of the hobby if they lose touch of the Vespa history and tradition. We need to work to interest vintage riders in new scooters and visa versa.
Amen, Dave!

I'm all about bringing the vintage and modern worlds together. The history of Vespa is a continuum. Not a before and after. It's not about drawing a line between the past and the present.

It's fun to see a lot of our club members (who mostly have modern scoots) learning the history of scooters by attending rallies and seeing the vintage bikes. And it's great to see modern scoots being test driven and shown to the vintage crowd.

I'm glad the leadership at Vespa Club of America sees and understands this. It makes me glad to be a member.

And I always say, "We're driving tomorrow's vintage scoots today."
@kevin avatar
UTC

Addicted
2005 GT200

Addicted
@kevin avatar
2005 GT200
UTC quote
chad wrote:
this is a direct quote from my piaggio dealer last year:

"i don't need marketing, i don't need advertising, i don't even need salespeople, these things sell themselves."

until that changes, i don't think most vespa dealers will "get it."
Wow. That's a recipe for disaster.

Regarding Kymco: I hear so many good things about their company and their scooters. I would seriously consider purchasing a Kymco scoot except that I am not wild about their designs. If they had a 150-200cc classic Italian-type design (some would say "retro") scooter I think it would be a big hit.

Kevin
@chad avatar
UTC

Olivia Newton-John

Olivia Newton-John
@chad avatar
UTC quote
yeah, i couldn't believe a dealer would say that. i personally know at least 3 people who will drive the extra 3 hours to chicago just to avoid this dealer. i'm sure there's many more.
@tfauch avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso

Molto Verboso
@tfauch avatar
UTC quote
Vespa had a big hand in the divide of modern and vintage when they went the boutique route. I'm not sure if the price of the boutique kept shops like JavaSpeed out of the Modern Vespa side of things. What about Scooter West? Why aren't they selling Vespa scoots ?

Tim
@robotribe avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
In constant state of flux...

Ossessionato
@robotribe avatar
In constant state of flux...
UTC quote
Tikka Masala wrote:
I think the new Vespa/Piaggio marketing dude from Harley should wall paper his office with this thread!! It could be his marketing plan for FY07!
chad wrote:
Yesterday, I went home on my lunch break and as I parked my scooter in the back just outside my garage, a guy, maybe in his 60s, comes walking up my driveway, waving at me. He tells me he and his wife (in the car, I guess) followed me home after seeing me on the road a few blocks back and he was looking for some info on the Vespa. He asked the basics (what kind of gas mileage, how much, nearest dealer etc.) and I of course elaborated a little on how this was my main vehicle (BTW, I sold my Audi TT and the Vespa is now my main means of transportation!) and that it was perfect for Pasadena. Anyway, he said thanks and that he may visit the dealership I told him about.

As far as Vespa marketing goes, have any of you seen any actual marketing materials or ad placements other than the 2 full page ads they run in Scoot Quarterly? If that's the only ad placements they have, that's really pathetic. They're kind of preaching to the choir in that magazine, as well as Scootering. What about NON-SCOOTER magazines or newspapers? If they're still hung up on the lifestyle thing, than why not fashion or news magazines? Where are the ads touting great mileage on a Vespa with gas over $3 a gallon?
UTC

Enthusiast

Enthusiast
UTC quote
Cardiac wrote:
I don't know if it's been brought up yet - but maybe Vespa USA should take a page out of their Canadian counterparts' book.

Vespa Canada / Canadian Scooter Corp, and our local dealers have been extremely supportive recently from what I've seen. This is just in the past two months:
How about the fact that VC/Canadian Scooter Corp buys all new Vespa owners a membership in the Vespa Club of Canada? (The VCOC is a great club and the VCOA helps support the VCOC by contributing to their newsletter and sponsoring their rally. The VCOC came out to Denver and had a table on display at the Amerivespa Friday swap meet. Thanks Canada! and I'll see you at a Rally Named George!)

I'm hoping that all of the transition that Piaggio has been going through recently will settle down and they'll get back on track with day-to-day business. There seems to be a pretty serious lack of institutional memory there. This is probably due to the move to NYC and also staff changes. The VCOA very much wants to work with Piaggio USA.

Dave
@beale avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
None! I sold it :(

Ossessionato
@beale avatar
None! I sold it :(
UTC quote
I am really amazed by this thread. Reading all of this and wondering if Vespa/Piaggio USA will mend the fences before the herd breaks free? My next (and I will have another) scooter Is probably gonna be a BV500. If things do not change I may change my mind. I like the classic look on it (for a maxi), but if things do not change? Well their are other brands.

I really hope it gets better, Beale.
@chad avatar
UTC

Olivia Newton-John

Olivia Newton-John
@chad avatar
UTC quote
the thing about this thread that really bothers me is that piaggio and/or some dealers have treated a lot of people in this thread very badly, but the reality is that most of us will keep buying vespas, regardless.

i know that even though the service will be crap, parts will be unavailable, calls will go unreturned, etc...i'll probably keep buying them. and so will most of you.

then again, i keep buying land rovers too...
@crackhead avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
Aprilia Sportcity Cube 250ie, Stella 2T

Ossessionato
@crackhead avatar
UTC quote
This thread makes me really sad about the state of Vespa USA. I am VERY GLAD to hear that Kymco and Genuine stepped up to the plate for AV. I own a Genuine product now and, Like Beale, was looking at possibly a BV or Scarabeo for my next ride. By the time I am ready I may be buying Kymco. After all, I saw a really nice People 250 last month....

I sincerely hope someone from Vespa USA lurks here, although I doubt it!
UTC

UTC quote
sethbcole wrote:
I sincerely hope someone from Vespa USA lurks here, although I doubt it!
I don't! What I doubt is whether they "get it". Hopefully things are turning around what with the recent personnel changes and all.
UTC

Addicted
GTV250 GTS 300!! MP3 500, Lambretta TV200 S3 77 07 Aprilia Tuono 1000R 64 Vespa Vbb150

Addicted
GTV250 GTS 300!! MP3 500, Lambretta TV200 S3 77 07 Aprilia Tuono 1000R 64 Vespa Vbb150
UTC quote
Check your local papers
Robo tribe wrote:
Yesterday, I went home on my lunch break and as I parked my scooter in the back just outside my garage, a guy, maybe in his 60s, comes walking up my driveway, waving at me. He tells me he and his wife (in the car, I guess) followed me home after seeing me on the road a few blocks back and he was looking for some info on the Vespa. He asked the basics (what kind of gas mileage, how much, nearest dealer etc.) and I of course elaborated a little on how this was my main vehicle (BTW, I sold my Audi TT and the Vespa is now my main means of transportation!) and that it was perfect for Pasadena. Anyway, he said thanks and that he may visit the dealership I told him about.

As far as Vespa marketing goes, have any of you seen any actual marketing materials or ad placements other than the 2 full page ads they run in Scoot Quarterly? If that's the only ad placements they have, that's really pathetic. They're kind of preaching to the choir in that magazine, as well as Scootering. What about NON-SCOOTER magazines or newspapers? If they're still hung up on the lifestyle thing, than why not fashion or news magazines? Where are the ads touting great mileage on a Vespa with gas over $3 a gallon?

Robotribe,

Hey you live in Los Angeles right? Did you catch the write up the times did? Check it out. or go to latimes.com and type in scooters, Also if you go to youtube.com you will find plenty of local news stations reporting on scooters. here is a example http://abcnews.go.com/Video/playerIndex?id=2212234

also I hear that cycle world maybe doing a write up in the future on the Vespa GTS.

I have never seen a Kymco or a Harley ad, but it does not mean that they are not out there. Have fun, ride safe, and check your local zine stand for Vespa ads.

Jon P.

The time is right: OK, now scoot!
More than ever, mid-range scooters offer a great way to zip past gas lines. We put five to the test.
SUSAN CARPENTER
July 19, 2006

WHENEVER I pull up on two wheels, I can count on one comment: "You're crazy," strangers tell me. "Riding is dangerous." The comment is usually accompanied by a horror story about some neighbor's friend's gastroenterologist or other distant acquaintance who had a spectacular crash.

But a funny thing's been happening lately. In addition to the usual comments on my sanity and safety, I'm hearing envy, and the horror stories they tell are their own. "What kind of gas mileage are you getting?" they ask. The question is typically followed by the price tag on their latest fill-up, usually about $60.

ADVERTISEMENT
While the average U.S. passenger car chugs gas at a rate of 22.4 miles per gallon, two-wheelers average about 50. So it shouldn't come as too huge a surprise that sales are up for the lightest drinkers: scooters - by about 17% in 2005 (though the rate has slowed to single digits this year).

The appeal over motorcycles? For novice riders, they're a less intimidating alternative. Scooters are lower in weight and lower to the ground, with automatic transmissions, step-through designs and exhaust pipes that won't burn a leg.

We tested the most recent crop of scooters, which come in all styles, from lawnmower-esque 50cc models to 650cc bruisers.

I decided to split the difference for our scooter shootout, selecting the mid-level 250cc class because the engines are large enough to get decent speed yet small enough for better-than-average fuel efficiency. Of the models tested, all of them go at least 70 mph; according to the Motorcycle Industry Council, 250cc scooters average 60 to 80 miles per gallon.

Overall, the scooters I tested for today's Ride to Work Day were good for street riding, if a little flimsy for freeway travel. They're presented in the order of preference.

Vespa GTS250

I've never felt so much like Audrey Hepburn as I did riding the new GTS250. Not only did its classic lines and elegant styling up the ante on my usual riding attire - prompting me to invest in a Gucci knockoff jacket - its upright positioning demanded perfect posture.

Sixty years since its inception, Vespa is still the gold standard. It is the iPod of scooters. The icon. And its reputation is well-deserved.

The only scooter on the market with a body built from a single sheet of stainless steel, rather than a tubular frame covered with plastic, the Vespa is Italian design at its finest. Gently rounded and chromed in all the right places - the mirrors, a folding luggage rack and retractable passenger foot pegs - the GTS250's retro styling recalls every other Vespa that's been built over the years, but the throwback exterior is misleading.

Under the hood, it is the most technologically sophisticated scooter the company has ever built. The liquid-cooled, four-stroke single is the first Vespa to include electronic fuel injection. Coupled with a continuously variable transmission, it made acceleration far quicker than I expected for an automatic.

Tooling along L.A.'s streets as if I were on a Roman holiday, I had no trouble keeping up with traffic. But because the scooter is so tall, with a relatively short wheelbase of 54.9 inches, it felt slightly top-heavy in turns.

Its 12-inch wheels also felt a bit spindly, especially on the freeway. Scooters of 125cc and above are legally allowed on the freeways in California, but there's a reason you don't see many of them out there.

It's creepy.

On the 5 Freeway, I felt like a gnat among hippos. The GTS250 didn't skip a beat at low speeds, but it started wheezing at about 75 mph. The going speed of traffic being 85 mph, I was forced to move into the middle and right lanes, where I was fair game for a flattening by some over-caffeinated semi driver - if the potholes didn't get me first.

Aprilia Scarabeo 250

Like the race bikes Aprilia is famous for, the Scarabeo is zippy and performance-oriented. Of the scooters I tested, it was the only one I felt genuinely comfortable riding on the highway.

No one ever accused scooters of being at all torque-y, but the throttle packed more punch than I was expecting, and it topped out at a higher speed than the other rides I tested. I got my little Scarabeo friend up to 80 mph, at which point the left mirror started to loosen and bend in toward me, which I took as a sign - along with the heavy breathing of this four-stroke single - that it isn't designed to go this fast consistently.

At high speeds, the 16-inch wheels felt stable. And slowing down, the linked disc brakes on the front and rear gave it better than average stopping power.
@illnoise avatar
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
@illnoise avatar
UTC quote
Kevin wrote:
I would seriously consider purchasing a Kymco scoot except that I am not wild about their designs. If they had a 150-200cc classic Italian-type design (some would say "retro") scooter I think it would be a big hit.
Kevin
They have the People line, which didn't sell that well as "retro" so it was redesigned to be more "modern." I belive there is now a People 150 and 200.

It was interesting to see the Kymco reps at Amerivespa, they kinda had the NASCAR mentality/look going on. i've heard they sell way more ATVs than scooters, and I imagine that semi trailer and demo bikes had seen a couple NASCAR infields. They see scooters as a powersports item, not a luxury accessory, and it's working for them. They sell vehicles, Vespa sells image. I'd rather have the vehicle. Props.

Bb.
@illnoise avatar
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
@illnoise avatar
UTC quote
chad wrote:
yeah, i couldn't believe a dealer would say that. i personally know at least 3 people who will drive the extra 3 hours to chicago just to avoid this dealer. i'm sure there's many more.
Funny, because the Chicago dealer was also craptastic, and then they tanked and we didn't have a dealer for several months. Piaggio's damage control was to get a story in the business press about how the wisconsin and downstate IL dealers were picking up the slack w/ sales and service to chicagoans.

The new dealer is now open (after Piaggio settled their court battle with the old dealer, who, sucky as they were, I kind of feel bad for what with all the money they must have lost thanks to Piaggio). They have three locations as part of a Triumph/Aprilia/Victory/Polaris dealership network. They'll do much better, i imagine.
@bryce-o-rama avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
Peugeot Looxor

Ossessionato
@bryce-o-rama avatar
Peugeot Looxor
UTC quote
For those who didn't pick it up, Amerivespa is the national event of the Vespa Club of America. They have had a national event for 14 or 15 years now. Meaning the club has been around a long time, and were actively doing things during Vespa's absence from the US.

Supporting Amerivespa 2006 was definitely a publicity coup for Kymco and Genuine. They got their names out and their products were definitely visible. Vintage snobs who do not like modern scooters wouldn't have been pleased even if Vespa had sponsored the event. As an attendee of the event, I am glad to thank everyone who sponsored the event, and everyone who helped plan and execute it. That's a very large task and I hope everyone involved knows how much attendees appreciate their efforts.
@illnoise avatar
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
@illnoise avatar
UTC quote
Bryce Ludwig wrote:
Supporting Amerivespa 2006 was definitely a publicity coup for Kymco and Genuine. They got their names out and their products were definitely visible. Vintage snobs who do not like modern scooters wouldn't have been pleased even if Vespa had sponsored the event.
As a vintage snob, I agree that's probably true. But vintage snobs are outnumbered by new scooterists at many rallies now, and there's no way you could look at Amerivespa or the VCOA (both of which are comprised of more and more modern scooterists every year, it's fairly evenly matched now) and not see that it was the ultimate opportunity to reach out to scooterists of all types, new and vintage, gay and straight, old and young, male and female. The whole weekend was a testament to variety and devotion in scootering, and there was plenty of room for everybody.

Amerivespa invalidated Piaggio's argument that 'scooterists' are a niche market that should be ignored in favor of marketing to the general public. Who better to market scooters to than f--king scooterists? Like others have said, we buy new scoots, we recommend scooters to friends (I've been directly involved in helping at least ten friends buy new scooters in the last year, not to mention whatever effect 2strokebuzz might have), we ride scooters, each of which is a rolling billboard for their products.
@jerryg avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@jerryg avatar
UTC quote
Newest issue of Scooter Rider was in the mail last night when I got home.
http://www.scooterridermag.com/home.html

Kymco had the full color inside cover ad and Bajaj/Chetak the full color inside back cover ad.

Vespa had no ad!

There's only, maybe, 3 scooter magazines in the whole US, not counting Scootering, and and they aren't even advertising in all of them.

To add insult to injury, the Kymco ad has the Amerivespa logo in it, just to let everyone know they were a sponsor. Crying or Very sad emoticon
@chad avatar
UTC

Olivia Newton-John

Olivia Newton-John
@chad avatar
UTC quote
vespa is concentrating on the keychain and jacket market.
@crackhead avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@crackhead avatar
UTC quote
Maybe we should add a Genuine and Kymco section to the forum to further draw attention to the powers-that-be at Vespa USA
OP
@cfargo avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
Many

Ossessionato
@cfargo avatar
Many
UTC quote
sethbcole wrote:
Maybe we should add a Genuine and Kymco section to the forum to further draw attention to the powers-that-be at Vespa USA
Do you really think that they would care? They would have to pull their heads out of the sand first then think logical.
@turkman avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
2009 GTV 250

Ossessionato
@turkman avatar
2009 GTV 250
UTC quote
telephone call to Vespa USA
I called Vespa USA a few days ago. Told the person who answered the phone how much I like my GTS and my dealer. I then mentioned the dozen emails I have sent to them, saying how much I like my scoot, and the questions I had about the GTS when I first got it, that were never answered. I even sent them a VERY SHORT story about my 3500 mile trip and the fact that I had NO problems with the GTS.

So, I was tranfered to customer relations and went throught the who thing again (being very positive and short). They SEEMED kinda' interested and did ask me a few questions, but that was it, no real excitement about their products or the fact that the GTS (to me) seems to be a real solid preformer.

At the end of the conversation, which seemed like I had to carry (make happen/keep it going) they said the would pass my comments along to someone I can't remember.

The way I see it......I'm excited about scooters and Vespas, I'm retired so ride a lot and meet a lot of people, heck, maybe I've sent some to Vespa dealers and they've bought a scooter............................so AT LEAST BE EXCITED WITH ME, and show more support to the people/customers who are making this happen and stop depending on some of the great Vespa dealers to make it ALL happen.
@jerryg avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@jerryg avatar
UTC quote
Re: telephone call to Vespa USA
Turkman wrote:
I called Vespa USA a few days ago. Told the person who answered the phone how much I like my GTS and my dealer. I then mentioned the dozen emails I have sent to them, saying how much I like my scoot, and the questions I had about the GTS when I first got it, that were never answered. I even sent them a VERY SHORT story about my 3500 mile trip and the fact that I had NO problems with the GTS.

So, I was tranfered to customer relations and went throught the who thing again (being very positive and short). They SEEMED kinda' interested and did ask me a few questions, but that was it, no real excitement about their products or the fact that the GTS (to me) seems to be a real solid preformer.

At the end of the conversation, which seemed like I had to carry (make happen/keep it going) they said the would pass my comments along to someone I can't remember.

The way I see it......I'm excited about scooters and Vespas, I'm retired so ride a lot and meet a lot of people, heck, maybe I've sent some to Vespa dealers and they've bought a scooter............................so AT LEAST BE EXCITED WITH ME, and show more support to the people/customers who are making this happen and stop depending on some of the great Vespa dealers to make it ALL happen.
Sounds like your comments were passed onto the circular file. sorry.
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0389s ][ Queries: 3 (0.0172s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]