OP
UTC

UTC quote
When one takes their courses, especially the one where you can get your endorsement if your pass the class and then not have to take the motorcycle driving test, I know that they sometimes provide motorcycles for people who don't have bikes, but if you have your own scooter, can you take the course on your own bike or do you have to use their non-automatic motorcycles?

And is there a minimum cc requirement if you can use your own scooter.

thanks

mack
@tikka avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
07 GTS250ie VCOA#2794

Ossessionato
@tikka avatar
07 GTS250ie VCOA#2794
UTC quote
Mack ... you are in Ohio right. You can but it might not be easy. Also it says minimum of 100cc.

Here is the info:
Students who wish to use their own motorcycle must submit the following to Motorcycle Ohio:

o Letter requesting permission from the MO office stating reason for using your two-wheeled motorcycle/scooter in the MO class. (Example: modification for handicap use)
o State the motorcycle/scooter engine size. (no more than 350cc and a minimum of 100cc)
o Name of insurance company that has the motorcycle/scooter insured.

On the day of range activities, after state approval has been given, the student must show proof of insurance to the instructor and have the motorcycle/scooter safety checked for roadworthiness.

http://www.motorcycle.ohio.gov/brcoverview.htm
@steve avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
'06 Vespa LX150, '07 Suzuki Burgman 400, '05 Honda Metropolitan

Ossessionato
@steve avatar
UTC quote
Mack,

I've enquired on that subject a couple of times, including with the instructor at Polaris Learning Center. He has been trying for years to get permission to teach a scooter Basic Rider Course, but the Ohio DOT officials refuse to consider it. The instructors are even forbidden to teach private lessons or they'll lose their state instructors license. The only way that you can conceivably take the BRC on your own scoot is if you petition the state for permission based on a medical reason that you can't ride a motorcycle.

I can put you in contact with the head instructor at Polaris if you want to pursue it on your own.

Other states frequently have scooter only BRC classes or allow students to ride on their own scooters. Maybe we should move...

It was nice meeting you and Barb (?) yesterday. I hope I answered more questions than I left you with!

Steve
OP
UTC

UTC quote
Guess I just thought it would be easier to take the course and pass it on an automatic transmission scooter than a manual transmission cycle. Are those manual cycles hard to master? I do know how to drive a manual transmission car, just never rode a manual cycle. No medical reason, just thought it would be easier.

mack
@cfargo avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
Many

Ossessionato
@cfargo avatar
Many
UTC quote
mack wrote:
Guess I just thought it would be easier to take the course and pass it on an automatic transmission scooter than a manual transmission cycle. Are those manual cycles hard to master? I do know how to drive a manual transmission car, just never rode a manual cycle. No medical reason, just thought it would be easier.

mack
My sister in-law who has about 300 miles experience riding a 2 wheeled vehicle (LX150) just took the course on a course supplied motorcycle in Portland OR and passed with no problem. She had no experience at all in driving a motorcycle with manual transmission prior to the course.

They are there to TEACH you not just test you. If you can drive a manual transmission car, I say go for it on their motorcycle.
@steve avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@steve avatar
UTC quote
They will teach you how to shift, brake, etc. Even rank beginners have learned, without knowing how to shift (car or motorcycle). My sister-in-law took the course and had never ridden a motorcycle ever before, nor knew how to shift a stick car. You, at least have the balancing part down, and with some exposure to a moped know when to accelerate and brake.

Once you do learn, however, you'll need to unlearn the clutch and foot brake part. Your clutch on a motorcycle is where the brake is on a scooter.
@christine avatar
UTC

Addicted
Vespa GT200

Addicted
@christine avatar
Vespa GT200
UTC quote
That "unlearn" thing is pretty easy. It's not like a 2 or 3 day course will scar you for life.

Why risk dumping your scooter or having someone bang into it during a brain fart on course?

I knew NOTHING about riding a motorized 2-wheeled vehicle when I took the course - that's EXACTLY why I took it. Keep your wits about you and don't try to show off and it shouldn't be a problem.

By the way - Ontario rules seem to be the same as Ohio. However, on the final course/test for the graduated licensing (M2 exit), you must bring your own bike.
@lauri avatar
UTC

Hooked
2006 LX150

Hooked
@lauri avatar
2006 LX150
UTC quote
Mack, I don't know where you are, but in Austin, TX, one school (out of 3) offers scooters for those who wish to use them. Some people bring their own scooter if it's a 150 or under. As far as unlearning, it's been 6? 7? years since I last drove a stickshift, but I could again tomorrow with little practice.

Lauri
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0129s ][ Queries: 3 (0.0049s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]