@mike_lynch avatar
UTC

Addicted
Aprilia Scarabeo 500 (Heavy)

Addicted
@mike_lynch avatar
UTC quote
It finally works and I'm going to "hit the road"!

Best regards,

Mike Lynch
Tanks a lot!
Tanks a lot!
Soft top - easy access!
Soft top - easy access!
Up front and in your face!
Up front and in your face!
@ritchj avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
One of each

Ossessionato
@ritchj avatar
One of each
UTC quote
Looks great Mike. A second career as manufactuer starting soon?

Any guesstimates on your total range, before your know what falls asleep?
@tikka avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
07 GTS250ie VCOA#2794

Ossessionato
@tikka avatar
07 GTS250ie VCOA#2794
UTC quote
Does it block the headlight visability? It looks like it would block the downward spread also. I know you have to balance it between the headlight and the turnsignals, so not much room to play with. Looks good though Mike.
OP
@mike_lynch avatar
UTC

Addicted

Addicted
@mike_lynch avatar
UTC quote
Ritchj,

Fuel capacity (2.50 plus 2.25) = 4.75 Gallons.

The Fuel Guage reads as it normally would /should.

The Reserve Light comes on +- 1/2 Gallon.

My burn rate on the road is 55 to 60 MPG.

Guesstimated range before going on Reserve: 225 to 250 Miles.

Four to four and a half hours before NAP TIME (numbness sets in)!

A break every four hours will work well for me, my dupa and my bladder.

Best regards,

Mike Lynch
OP
@mike_lynch avatar
UTC

Addicted

Addicted
@mike_lynch avatar
UTC quote
Tikka,

Here is a view of the Headlight "halo" after dark. Distance illumination is just as it was.
Close in, I get a partial "halo" from the Fuel Tank Filler Spout. All in all, it's balanced as best I could between the Headlight, Turning Signals and the size of the Tank itself.

I have a MOD but it will require some specialized steel bending and it will have to wait until I return from "my summer fun". The MOD will only give me about a ¼ to 1/2 inch lower mounting position so the overall effect on the Headlights illumination area will be minimal. Since I now know how to do it, I'll apply the "fix" later and enjoy the added range now.

Best regards,

Mike Lynch
View from about 12 feet away.
View from about 12 feet away.
@steve avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
'06 Vespa LX150, '07 Suzuki Burgman 400, '05 Honda Metropolitan

Ossessionato
@steve avatar
'06 Vespa LX150, '07 Suzuki Burgman 400, '05 Honda Metropolitan
UTC quote
Looks good Mike. Ride safe, wherever you are off to this time! If you hit an Internet Cafe along the way, drop in and let us know what you are up to.

Steve
@beale avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
None! I sold it :(

Ossessionato
@beale avatar
None! I sold it :(
UTC quote
Nice job Mike! Looks good, and gives you the extra miles needed in the middle of no where, Beale.
UTC

2003 Stella

2003 Stella
UTC quote
Mike:

Installation looks good. Please take this as constructive criticism only. Just curious if you considered mounting the tank in the rear--maybe attaching under or just behind the topcase?

I have two concerns.

I would rather protect the external gas from an unavoidable front collision. I can see the scenario of hitting another vehicle or a deer, bursting the tank or the cap poping off and a spreading pool of gasoline. Also, a fill-up has the potential for gas vapors to be blown back to you to smell instead of blowing out to your rear.

Second, the front of the Vespa has a beautiful aerodynamic design that you have altered, in my opinion, in a negative way.

Of course, I'm an old-fart, worst-case scenario kind of guy. Just wondered if you had thought about this, is all.

Let me add that I'm envious of your stage in life with plenty of free time to adventure ride. I'm 57, so I'm 5 to 8 years away from being able to do what you are doing.
@xman avatar
UTC

Addicted
gt200

Addicted
@xman avatar
gt200
UTC quote
Mike,

Very cool!

Do you have any concern about the heat from the head lites and the radiator?

x
OP
@mike_lynch avatar
UTC

Addicted

Addicted
@mike_lynch avatar
UTC quote
Dear Friends,

The answer(s) is NO!

I studied the design and location of the original GT-200 and concluded that if Vespa mounted their plastic tank over the muffler and in the engine compartment, they knew we would burn one way or another. There are four inlets / outlets that I am aware of on the original tank and they are all susceptible to leaking onto the muffler or in the engine compartment. I have personally experienced two of them leaking onto the muffler: from the Fuel Tap in the bottom of the tank and the aperture for the Fuel Gauge on the top of the tank.

The tank I used is twice the thickness of the original and the mounting I used is four times the strength used by Vespa. Yes, it is not inside the protective metal shell OR like the original, inside the pot / oven cooking over the flame? It's a matter of perspective! My design works and it works well. Mounting it in another locations like under the Top Case would have obscured the Tail Light and the Rear Turning Signals. It would also have been susceptible to rear end collisions.

In conclusion, I studied the materials I had to work with, I choose the best / most serviceable location for the Tank and I mounted it. I appreciate all of the concern. I had similar concerns myself. I made what I believe are the right decisions for me, based upon what I think I know. If the tank and the mounting prove or disprove themselves on this summers ride, I'll report my experience back to the Forum. If I'm wrong, you'll probably read about it in the Obituary Column in Modern Vespa.

Best regards,

Mike Lynch
⚠️ Last edited by Mike Lynch on UTC; edited 1 time
@grscum avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
2012 BMW G650GS, 2006 GTS,

Ossessionato
@grscum avatar
2012 BMW G650GS, 2006 GTS,
UTC quote
Nice set up Mike! How does this effect your luggage storage? In other pics you have shown some of your gear up front? Still have plans of an additional front headlight or has the tank set up allowed you to keep just the one light?

Anyway, can't wait till I can enjoy a trip like you!
OP
@mike_lynch avatar
UTC

Addicted

Addicted
@mike_lynch avatar
UTC quote
After piecing together the Bracket that the Tank mounts to, it dawned on me that I could also mount additional Headlights under the Tank, one on each side. I did not realize this until I had the Bracket and Tank mounted and was patting myself on the back for what I thought was a good job. I do not have time to mount the Head Lights on the bracket this trip but will install a pair after I return. I have also come up with an additional Mod that will allow me to store my Tent and my Air Mattress on either side of the Seat. The parts I need to complete this project have not arrived yet so I most likely will leave without them. They will function like Panniers (I have trouble pronouncing and spelling this word) except they will have a more aerodynamic shape and perhaps unique / specialized storage capabilities. I have less than a month to make it to Prudhoe Bay before the weather begins to work against me.

TOO LITTLE TIME AND SO MUCH VESPA FUN TO BE HAD!

Enjoy the rest of your summer,

Mike Lynch
@tikka avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
07 GTS250ie VCOA#2794

Ossessionato
@tikka avatar
07 GTS250ie VCOA#2794
UTC quote
Mike Lynch wrote:
I have less than a month to make it to Prudhoe Bay before the weather begins to work against me.

TOO LITTLE TIME AND SO MUCH VESPA FUN TO BE HAD!

Enjoy the rest of your summer,

Mike Lynch
Best wishes for a great trip back to AK Mike!! Please check in when you can. 8)
@xman avatar
UTC

Addicted
gt200

Addicted
@xman avatar
gt200
UTC quote
Hmmmm, you totally skipped over The gas bag (www.gasbag.com) It's a back pack that hold gas......

beans not included. lol

It's looks like you've done all your research. So good luck and have a blast...and most importantly document it so we can live through you... cheers

x

PS - incase anyone mistakes my poor attempt at humor, there is no gasbag product.
⚠️ Last edited by xman on UTC; edited 1 time
@jerryg avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
2005 Dragon Red Vespa ET4 Speedster

Ossessionato
@jerryg avatar
2005 Dragon Red Vespa ET4 Speedster
UTC quote
The MV Obituary page must be located near the MV Gallery page. I can't find either.
UTC

Addicted
PX200 for aeons, Lambrettas in "60's",My wife's GTS250 when I'm good.

Addicted
UTC quote
Have a Good One
Great work Mike.
I do think it should hold chilled beer.
Have a fantastic trip.
Old Mod
@nukie avatar
UTC

Addicted
GTS250 "Atomic Blast", GT200 Blue and White "Alfie", SQREAM Scooter Club

Addicted
@nukie avatar
GTS250 "Atomic Blast", GT200 Blue and White "Alfie", SQREAM Scooter Club
UTC quote
Thanks for sharing Mike! I love learning stuff from you. I see Vespa road trips ahead and these posts help me think about what needs to be done to make the trips better!

Have fun!
OP
@mike_lynch avatar
UTC

Addicted

Addicted
@mike_lynch avatar
UTC quote
Old mod,

That's the best suggestion I have ever been given!

I really like wheat beers.

I'll enjoy a Yukon Gold for you when I pass through Whitehorse, Yukon, Canada in a few days. The Brewery there produces some very good beers. Yukon Gold is an award winner and on draft - it's great! I first sampled their beer when traveling through Dawson City, Yukon, Canada about three years ago. I was thirsty and had just driven +- 400 miles from Whitehorse to Dawson City for their annual Motorcycle Rally. The road is almost all gravel and it was very dry that year. Tired, thirsty and I don't remember the rest. Yukon is about the size of Florida +- lots of miles. The population of Yukon is about +- 33,000 with about 20,000 living in Whitehorse. This means that when I visit, I'm obligated to keep the brewery in full production helping the local economy and ensuring that "no draft beer is left un-consumed" at the Midnight Sun Hotel in Dawson City. I a later Post, I will attach a photo or two of the Rally, (about 20 cycles), Dawson City and me enjoying the "best beer" I have ever consumed. The by-line / tag line of the brewery is: Beer worth freezing for"! I'm not sure about that but I'd travel a long way to enjoy their product again. How is the beer down you way?

Best regards,

Mike Lynch
@crackhead avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
Aprilia Sportcity Cube 250ie, Stella 2T

Ossessionato
@crackhead avatar
Aprilia Sportcity Cube 250ie, Stella 2T
UTC quote
Damn Mike, you're making me thisty....not only for beer but for a long road trip to Canada and Alaska!
OP
@mike_lynch avatar
UTC

Addicted

Addicted
@mike_lynch avatar
UTC quote
Thirsty!
Old Mod,

Show us you pictures (of beer of course)!

Here is a six pack of mine, several more in the next Post!

It appears that there is a limit of six which is OK if they are cold.

Best regards,

Mike Lynch
Yes, Dawson City has a newspaper. I did NOT make the headlines this trip.
Yes, Dawson City has a newspaper. I did NOT make the headlines this trip.
I really ment HOT and VERY DUSTY.
I really ment HOT and VERY DUSTY.
Bar in Beaver Creek Yukon on the AlCan Highway.
Bar in Beaver Creek Yukon on the AlCan Highway.
Games in downtown Dawson City, Yukon, Canada population 1,500 in the summer.
Games in downtown Dawson City, Yukon, Canada population 1,500 in the summer.
Mid Night Sun Hotel in Dawson City, Yukon, Canada in the "mid night sun" about 11:00pm.
Mid Night Sun Hotel in Dawson City, Yukon, Canada in the "mid night sun" about 11:00pm.
The best beer I ever tasted. Yukon Gold on draft in the bar of the Mid Night Sun Hotel, Dawson City, Yukon, Canada.
The best beer I ever tasted. Yukon Gold on draft in the bar of the Mid Night Sun Hotel, Dawson City, Yukon, Canada.
OP
@mike_lynch avatar
UTC

Addicted

Addicted
@mike_lynch avatar
UTC quote
Thirsty + three!
A three pack this time!
This is how beer should be delivered, via the Pipe Line!.  Alaskan Pipe Line about +-100 miles north of Fairbanks, Alaska, USA.
This is how beer should be delivered, via the Pipe Line!. Alaskan Pipe Line about +-100 miles north of Fairbanks, Alaska, USA.
Having a "night cap" in the Campground across the Yukon River from Dawson City.
Having a "night cap" in the Campground across the Yukon River from Dawson City.
Bar at Circle Hot Springs, Alaska, USA. This Bar will accept for payment: AMEX, MC, Visa, Discover, US Currency and GOLD! I made a wrong turn and went almost 400 miles, round trip, the wrong way.  I found Circle Alaska NOT the Arctic Circle - Perhaps just
Bar at Circle Hot Springs, Alaska, USA. This Bar will accept for payment: AMEX, MC, Visa, Discover, US Currency and GOLD! I made a wrong turn and went almost 400 miles, round trip, the wrong way. I found Circle Alaska NOT the Arctic Circle - Perhaps just
UTC

Addicted

Addicted
UTC quote
The Amber Nectar
Ah, the hand trembles in anticipation of hoisting the tankard and quaffing the precious brew!!!!
The only wheat beer here would be Belgian imported or from Western Australia. Thats a long enough ride from New Zealand even for you Mike !!!
Our beers are varied, but the English bitter is brewed by smaller breweries such as Galbraith's Ale House. Monteiths which started in the gold rush days still is a good smaller brewey and the brewmaster is a craftsman from the US and he brews special seasonal ales as well..
I brew for myself by and large, originally because I wanted a bitter before they were brewed here. Now I am branching out and at the moment am brewing Mexican style lager.
A garage should smell just a little of a breweyas its welcoming and the lady of the house knows a man is around, like an old dog I suppose.
What a lot of waffle.
Have a good trip and more photos Mike.
Old Mod
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0248s ][ Queries: 4 (0.0169s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]