UTC

Molto Verboso
'06 Vespa GTS 250 i.e., '77 Vespa P200

Molto Verboso
UTC quote
YAY!!!!! My baby's first lose tooth - upon arriving home after a longish shopping expedition, I noticed there was a HOLE!!!! in my cowl, freaked, bowed low to inspect, and then noticed the reflector was hanging vertically rather than horizontally hanging on for dear life.

Should I/how would I snap off this irritating bit of cheap jewelry tarting up my 'merican Vespa? It's hanging on by the left plastic thingy shot thru the cowl, that's it.............

Oh, I have a euro style front fender w/ no reflectors or holes (my baby tryed to eat the side of a house the first day I had her), so i'm kinda thinking she should run nekked thru the world, NO reflectors..................
⚠️ Last edited by valincal on UTC; edited 2 times
@cfargo avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
Many

Ossessionato
@cfargo avatar
Many
UTC quote
Rip them off!
@napacoach avatar
UTC

Banned
M@

Banned
@napacoach avatar
M@
UTC quote
then stomp on it w/ your Doc Martins
@bwyn avatar
UTC

Addicted
GTS250 SOLD

Addicted
@bwyn avatar
GTS250 SOLD
UTC quote
Mine had to come off when I added the chrome set crash bars. Now I'm looking for little buttons to plug the holes.
@mperry99 avatar
UTC

MP3 500, KTM Superduke, BMW K1200GT

@mperry99 avatar
MP3 500, KTM Superduke, BMW K1200GT
UTC quote
Pugging the holes
I just took my reflectors off and found something that fit the holes perfectly and looks really good.

They were called V-Pins (I think) and I got them at Orchard Supply Hardware (aka OSH) for 29 cents apiece. I think they are made of nylon, or some rally tough plastic.

They come in several sizes, so if you are interested, the next time I'm there I'll check out which size I used and will let you know.

I painted the heads to match the scooter. I was doing a bigger painting project at the time and just shot them at the same time with primer, color base coat and clear. I'm totally sure that a little dab of touchup paint would work just as well, however.
@bwyn avatar
UTC

Addicted
GTS250 SOLD

Addicted
@bwyn avatar
GTS250 SOLD
UTC quote
Thanks Michael. I'll take the broken off stud to get the correct one.
@hyperbole avatar
UTC

Hooked
Vespa GTS 250 ie

Hooked
@hyperbole avatar
Vespa GTS 250 ie
UTC quote
I hate to rain on your parade, but: the reflectors might not be pretty however they are installed for a reason. If you are going to do any driving from dusk to dawn I would not advise removing them. I would much rather be visible and arrive safely with ugly reflectors than hit and dead without them.
@cfargo avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
Many

Ossessionato
@cfargo avatar
Many
UTC quote
That is why you ride with a reflective vest or Jacket as it is up higher and much more visible then those little reflectors. The reflectors are only on scooter sold in the US.
@hyperbole avatar
UTC

Hooked
Vespa GTS 250 ie

Hooked
@hyperbole avatar
Vespa GTS 250 ie
UTC quote
Curt

I ride with a "helmet halo" as well. I really think that I want every ounce of visibility. I guess it is a personal decision.

J
@cfargo avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
Many

Ossessionato
@cfargo avatar
Many
UTC quote
hyperbole wrote:
Curt

I ride with a "helmet halo" as well. I really think that I want every ounce of visibility. I guess it is a personal decision.

J
The more visibility the better, no argument there at all. I just don't see those little side reflectors doing all that much but yes they do ad some to visibility at night.
UTC

LX150

LX150
UTC quote
Remove those reflectors and go for a clean naked look or as I prefer to call it, the "oolala" treatment.

But whatever you do, do not remove the warning stickers! Because it is incredibly unsafe to operate a vehicle without those warning stickers.

-Jeff
@lomunchi avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
2020 Honda NC750DCT

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@lomunchi avatar
2020 Honda NC750DCT
UTC quote
It's curious that this forum will preach: visibility! visibility! visibility! visibility! until it comes to these reflectors. I know they're not that cute.... My scoot is in the back of my garage and when I pull in at night with my car I see the reflective decals that I attached and these reflectors quite well.

If you're going to remove them, consider something else reflective in their place. Even a bit of chrome will be much more visible than the side of your scooter.
UTC

Molto Verboso

Molto Verboso
UTC quote
I am trying to get all the chrome installed on my scoot, but my dealer's not being very cooperative.............. Livid emoticon
@cfargo avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
Many

Ossessionato
@cfargo avatar
Many
UTC quote
Val,

What do you need help with?
@hyperbole avatar
UTC

Hooked
Vespa GTS 250 ie

Hooked
@hyperbole avatar
Vespa GTS 250 ie
UTC quote
Okay, maybe I am obsessive, but I thought of this in the middle of the night:

If you indeed take off the standard safety equipment, (the reflectors), and you get into an accident, hopefully a minor accident, wouldn't your insurance company be within their rights to refuse to cover you as you have modified the scooter illegally?
UTC

Molto Verboso

Molto Verboso
UTC quote
hyperbole wrote:

If you indeed take off the standard safety equipment, (the reflectors), and you get into an accident, hopefully a minor accident, wouldn't your insurance company be within their rights to refuse to cover you as you have modified the scooter illegally?
DOOOhhh what a buzz kill.
@tikka avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
07 GTS250ie VCOA#2794

Ossessionato
@tikka avatar
07 GTS250ie VCOA#2794
UTC quote
LOL those cheap plastic afterthoughts would probably be the first thing to break and fly off in an accident anyway I think DR put some reflective tape where his were. At least that would not mess with the sexy lines of the scooter.
@michael_h avatar
UTC

2006 LX150 "Amadora"

@michael_h avatar
2006 LX150 "Amadora"
UTC quote
hyperbole wrote:

I wouldn't worry. If you take off the reflectors and replace them with nothing - maybe, but will likely depend on your policy. If you replace it with other reflective material, such as some of the reflective striping and checkerboard patterns others have, then you may be making an improvement. If in doubt, read your policy or talk to your insurance representative. If you are concerned, better to know than to guess.

Edited: I am planning on taking mine off - so I am not concerned.[size=9]
⚠️ Last edited by michael_h on UTC; edited 3 times
@cfargo avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
Many

Ossessionato
@cfargo avatar
Many
UTC quote
hyperbole wrote:

As you see from reading on this site, these cheap plastic things fall off on their own. Mine were off in my accident and the reflector inspector never came by to see if they should pay the claim or not.

When they do fall off, do you think Piaggio USA would actually have them in stock for you to buy replacements.?
@scoots avatar
UTC

Moderatore Dedicato
GTS250 Gilera Runner SP180

Moderatore Dedicato
@scoots avatar
GTS250 Gilera Runner SP180
UTC quote
"The reflector inspector"!! Good one Curt!

Take them off and leave them on the glovebox....there's not room for much ELSE in there..
@hyperbole avatar
UTC

Hooked
Vespa GTS 250 ie

Hooked
@hyperbole avatar
Vespa GTS 250 ie
UTC quote
I dunno guys, this logic can be applied to many other safety features on the scooter. for example, those dang mirrors look so dorky, .... take them off too!

(I am playing devil's advocate, but the point is, think before you modify the scooter.)
@cfargo avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
Many

Ossessionato
@cfargo avatar
Many
UTC quote
What, you have mirrors on your scooter? Mirrors are goverened by state law. Some states require 1 others require 2.
@msgts avatar
UTC

Addicted
GTS "Alessandro"/ MP3 "Thor"

Addicted
@msgts avatar
GTS "Alessandro"/ MP3 "Thor"
UTC quote
Re: Pugging the holes
mperry99 wrote:
They were called V-Pins (I think) and I got them at Orchard Supply Hardware (aka OSH) for 29 cents apiece. I think they are made of nylon, or some rally tough plastic.

They come in several sizes, so if you are interested, the next time I'm there I'll check out which size I used and will let you know.

Hmm, what is Orchard Supply Hardware - and I wonder what the Canadian equivalent is ?
Is that a hardware store and what are the real purpose for these V pin plugs ?

This is clearly a low priority post for some - but those holes bug the hell out of me ....... holes drilled in something so beautiful, how could it ever happen (scooter injustice)

Diana

Crying or Very sad emoticon
@cfargo avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
Many

Ossessionato
@cfargo avatar
Many
UTC quote
I thought Max at MotorSport has plugs for these holes.
@tikka avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
07 GTS250ie VCOA#2794

Ossessionato
@tikka avatar
07 GTS250ie VCOA#2794
UTC quote
cfargo wrote:
I thought Max at MotorSport has plugs for these holes.
Yup ... they are on the LX page. Pick up those and some touch up paint and you are in the bizzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz!

External inline image provided by member with no explanatory text
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0144s ][ Queries: 3 (0.0084s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]