OP
UTC

Gilera Fuoco

Gilera Fuoco
UTC quote
Don't get caught out! I started to replace the my sparks plugs today and noticed Mr. Piaggio had kindly fitted an allen bolt on the casing so close to the spark plug that the toolkit spanner would not fit.
External inline image provided by member with no explanatory text
Not the greatest of problems but very annoying if you were at the side of the road! I sorted the problem by thinning down the side wall of the plug spanner. Whilst the plug was out you could remove the allen bolt and thin the head down its up to you.
UTC

Molto Verboso

Molto Verboso
UTC quote
Ive just tried and my socket fits on and turns them, its proper close, and looks likes like it touches... i think your socket is just too thick and probably a thickish walled job... try a nice beta one works a charm 8)
OP
UTC

Gilera Fuoco

Gilera Fuoco
UTC quote
I am on about the plug spanner than comes in the standard toolkit, there is no way this would remove plug shown, in fact it would not even go over the plug. I understand what your saying about a thinner socket but surely the basic toolkit is there for emergencies and should fit the parts it is designed for.
@soeley avatar
UTC

Hooked
Fuoco 500ie SOLD

Hooked
@soeley avatar
Fuoco 500ie SOLD
UTC quote
Strange, the one in my Fuoco tool kit fits and works ok
OP
UTC

Gilera Fuoco

Gilera Fuoco
UTC quote
Perhaps as CT said mine is slightly thicker walled, or even the allen bolt head is higher? I just wanted people not to get caught out.
@jimc avatar
UTC

Moderaptor
The Hornet (GT200, aka Love Bug) and 'Dimples' - a GTS 300

Moderaptor
@jimc avatar
The Hornet (GT200, aka Love Bug) and 'Dimples' - a GTS 300
UTC quote
Is that the right bolt? I don't know, I haven't looked at mine (dark etc) - but would a domed one do the same job and yet keep out of the way?
⬆️    About 3 months elapsed    ⬇️
@andrej avatar
UTC

Hooked
Gilera Fuoco 500

Hooked
@andrej avatar
Gilera Fuoco 500
UTC quote
No remorse wrote:
I understand what your saying about a thinner socket but surely the basic toolkit is there for emergencies and should fit the parts it is designed for.
Yesterday I've try to change sparks and my socket is just like yours
Probably somebody in factory made a little prank
⬆️    About 13 years elapsed    ⬇️
@doulting avatar
UTC

Fuoco 500 i.e

@doulting avatar
Fuoco 500 i.e
UTC quote
Facepalm emoticon well as a new fuoco owner I'm so glad I've just discovered this post! I'd assumed it was something that only my bike suffered from and now I can see this applies to others I feel a whole lot better.
I'll be grinding down the plug socket tool and changing the allen bolt for something slimmer.
Who on earth fits a bolt so close to a removable component that it literally cannot be removed Crying or Very sad emoticon
UTC

Molto Verboso
2015 MP3 500 ie Business

Molto Verboso
2015 MP3 500 ie Business
UTC quote
Doulting wrote:
Facepalm emoticon ...Who on earth fits a bolt so close to a removable component that it literally cannot be removed Crying or Very sad emoticon
Well, most likely some Italian guy. As to why? Probably because it was the best spot to make servicing as difficult as possible. BTDT many a time with Italian cars.

Logic and Italian electrical engineering are mutually exclusive.

Example: When the Titanic struck an iceberg in the middle of the Atlantic, the lights stayed on until the ship went down. Fast forward 100 years when the Costa Concordia struck shallow rocks a few hundred yards off shore. What is the first thing that happened? Instant electrical blackout. It doesn't get more authentic Italian than that.
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0333s ][ Queries: 4 (0.0081s) ][ Debug on ][ 309 ][ Thing One ]