@ericalm avatar
UTC

Wiki Moderator
LX 190, Aurora Blue + Stella FOUR STROKE FURY! + '87 Helix

Wiki Moderator
@ericalm avatar
UTC quote
[These photos are pretty bad. I was lazy and used my phone. I'm going to re-take them using the actual camera. X-posted from ModernBuddy.]

It's widely known to those of us who frequent forums that scooterists are a unique bunch and want to have an identity all our own. For many of us, part of this means not looking like a motorcyclist wannabe when we gear up for our ride. However, the options for those of us who want to wear good quality riding gear without suiting up in a "Power Ranger" jacket festooned with logos and graphics have been limited to the few less-embellished offerings from the major motorcycle gear companies and one scooter-centric gear company, Corazzo.

The Pullman jacket ($125) is the first release by Prima, a division of Genuine/Scooterworks that also makes accessories, in what promises to be an interesting new line of protective apparel. I've had one for about a week, and wore it for 10 continuous hours yesterday during a long group ride. As a basis for comparison, I've owned four other riding jackets: a Joe Rocket (since retired), a Corazzo Max (which replaced the Joe Rocket), and two Belstaffs (great jackets, no armor).

External inline image provided by member with no explanatory text

Initial Impression
The photos of the Pullman in the Scooterworks flyer and on their site really don't do the jacket justice; it's much better looking. The two-tone jackets in tan, red and black all have a grey on the shoulders, outside of the sleeves and chest pockets. In the Scooterworks pics, this grey looks very shiny, like electrical tape. It's actually not as dull, and is a textured nylon with a heavy weave. (Looks like they Photoshopped the color in for the variations, so I'm not sure how accurate the red and tan are.)

I was immediately impressed by the quality of the materials and construction, the numerous features and attention to detail. The exterior is a heavy, 600 Denier nylon, with what feels like a waterproofing layer underneath and a mesh lining. The Pullman also features a zip-out full quilted liner, an unusual feature in this price range. There are numerous pockets-two outside chest, two side and one inside chest. The jacket also has velcro straps to adjust the waist and cuffs and zippered sleeves. One of my favorite details is the rubber tabs on the velcro straps which makes them very easy to grab with gloves on.

Rounding out the features is reflective piping across the chest and along the arms. I've learned to really appreciate the piping on my Corazzo; it's very effective at night. I'm glad to see this on the Pullman as well.

My one concern was the lack of venting. There's just one zippered vent across the top of the back.

Style
Aesthetically, the Pullman is somewhat fashion-neutral, with an emphasis on practicality and simplicity. It's like a basic pair of Levi's in that it will appeal to many different people, with different results depending on their personal style.

Prima boasts that, "[Our] vision was function and fashion. You no longer have to worry about looking like robocop in your riding gear when you walk into a restaurant!" While that's definitely the case, there's no hiding that this is a riding jacket. Its features (wrist closures, waist straps, heavy nylon) are visible and can't be denied. That said, this is a good-looking, casual jacket that doesn't scream "riding jacket." The fashion can't completely conceal this jacket's function. Most features are subtle and even the armor is well-integrated into the shape of the jacket so it doesn't bulge out too much.

Though I expressed dislike for anything "festooned with logos," the Pullman has nine visible on the exterior. I'll forgive most of these (as on the zipper pulls), which are fairly subtle. Even the largest ones are small, but having two on the front of the jacket (on the rubber zipper tab on the chest and above the waist) is a minor excess.

Fit and Comfort
The Pullman seems to run a bit small. I normally wear a size 46 jacket and have XLs in my other gear. On first fit, the Pullman felt a bit snug in the shoulders and sleeves and it's somewhat short. (I have a slightly long torso, though.) I have the sense a XXL would be too big, though. While many riding jackets have a tapered shape, wide and roomy on the top and narrow at the waist, the Pullman is fairly straight in the shoulders, chest and sides. The adjustable waist is nice, though I hope to be able to make it tighter instead of looser over time.

The fit improved the longer I wore the Pullman. By the end of the day, it hardly felt like I was wearing an armored jacket. The sleeves and shoulders seemed to relax as I broke it in and the fabric became less stiff. It's still a fairly snug fit, though. Without the liner, I can wear a sweater or track jacket under the Pullman. With the liner, maybe a light jacket underneath. If you frequently need to wear several layers, you may need to go up a size. That said, the quilted liner is pretty toasty and will serve you well in cool weather.

Still, some riders may have some issues depending on their shape and dimensions so I highly recommend trying the jacket on before purchase if possible.

The Pullman has a fairly short collar with a fleece lining. It felt fine zipped all the way up, not constricting. In cold weather, a rider would probably need a gaiter or scarf.

I've ridden in the Pullman in temperatures ranging from the low 50s to the mid 80s, with high winds in some areas. The jacket breathes very well, without letting too much of the wind in. At about 50 degrees with the quilted liner in and a track jacket and t-shirt underneath, the Pullman was perfectly comfortable at 60mph. By the time the temperature rose to 60, I was warm and ditched the track jacket.

Like all solid textile jackets, it starts to get pretty hot once temps reach the mid 80s. At that point, nothing short of a mesh jacket is comfortable for me. It's been that way with all 3 textiles I've owned, regardless of the amount of venting.

Prima calls this a three-season jacket and that's on the money, though which three seasons may depend on the climate where you live.

Conclusion
The Prima Pullman is like the Genuine Buddy of riding gear. It's not the flashiest jacket out there, will appeal to a broad range of buyers, and offers excellent quality and features for the price. The only drawback at this point is potential fit issues for some buyers, but that's probably the case with all riding gear. Best to try it on first if possible. If you're going to want to layer it for winter, you may want to go a size up.

More photos on my Flickr:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/82788703@N00/sets/72157616777781950/

Pullman Jacket:
http://www.scooterworks.com/Prima_Pullman_Riding_Jacket_G_P9747.cfm
@volosong avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
2010 GTS 300, 2008 MP3 500

Molto Verboso
@volosong avatar
2010 GTS 300, 2008 MP3 500
UTC quote
Very nice writeup, Eric. Based on your review, I'll be taking a closer look at this jacket. Shouldn't this go into the "reviews" sub-forum? If it has to be voted in, I'll give the first nomination. Thanks for taking the time to compose and post.
⬆️    About 3 months elapsed    ⬇️
@stella2004 avatar
UTC

2004 Stella

@stella2004 avatar
2004 Stella
UTC quote
I bought one of these yesterday. I do feel the shoulder armor quite a bit. Hopefully that will wear in with time. The fit is nice but the sleeves are a bit long. I suppose that will help cover the gloves when riding. Looks much trimmer than my old bulky jacket. There is a strange stretchy flap inside the middle of the back with a zipper sewn onto it.
What is that for?
OP
@ericalm avatar
UTC

Wiki Moderator

Wiki Moderator
@ericalm avatar
UTC quote
Stella2004 wrote:
I bought one of these yesterday. I do feel the shoulder armor quite a bit. Hopefully that will wear in with time. The fit is nice but the sleeves are a bit long. I suppose that will help cover the gloves when riding. Looks much trimmer than my old bulky jacket. There is a strange stretchy flap inside the middle of the back with a zipper sewn onto it.
What is that for?
That's for attaching riding pants. A lot of MC jackets have this.

I've actually thought about trimming just a couple of centimeters off the shoulder armor where it bunches-just a bit-at the neck.

Fit is really difficult with riding jackets, especially in the arms. No two are alike, but the sleeves need to be snug enough and the proper length to keep the armor in place. I suppose it's measured using averages or fit models. The alternative is the racer-style jacket with straps up and down to secure the arms.

Or this patented system on the very pricey but stylish newer Belstaffs...
@stella2004 avatar
UTC

2004 Stella

@stella2004 avatar
2004 Stella
UTC quote
Those hard armor pads were still bugging me so tried this and it worked quite well. Sewed dress shoulder pads purchased at fabric store to inside of armor.

@oneeyedjack avatar
UTC

Hooked
GTS 250ie

Hooked
@oneeyedjack avatar
GTS 250ie
UTC quote
Hot Weather?
How is this jacket for hot weather. I like the looks of this jacket, much more dressy.
OP
@ericalm avatar
UTC

Wiki Moderator

Wiki Moderator
@ericalm avatar
UTC quote
Re: Hot Weather?
OneEyedJack wrote:
How is this jacket for hot weather. I like the looks of this jacket, much more dressy.
Like most light textile jackets I've used, I can wear this up to about 83 or so. at that point usually nothing other than full mesh really works. In general, the Prima isn't as well-vented as some others. The one vent is across the back. Not sure how much that helps without venting in front to improve air circulation inside the jacket when riding.
UTC

Lurker

Lurker
UTC quote
Re: Review: Prima Pullman Riding Jacket
ericalm wrote:
[These photos are pretty bad. I was lazy and used my phone. I'm going to re-take them using the actual camera. X-posted from ModernBuddy.]

It's widely known to those of us who frequent forums that scooterists are a unique bunch and want to have an identity all our own. For many of us, part of this means not looking like a motorcyclist wannabe when we gear up for our ride. However, the options for those of us who want to wear good quality riding gear without suiting up in a "Power Ranger" jacket festooned with logos and graphics have been limited to the few less-embellished offerings from the major motorcycle gear companies and one scooter-centric gear company, Corazzo.

The Pullman jacket ($125) is the first release by Prima, a division of Genuine/Scooterworks that also makes accessories, in what promises to be an interesting new line of protective apparel. I've had one for about a week, and wore it for 10 continuous hours yesterday during a long group ride. As a basis for comparison, I've owned four other riding jackets: a Joe Rocket (since retired), a Corazzo Max (which replaced the Joe Rocket), and two Belstaffs (great jackets, no armor).

Initial Impression
The photos of the Pullman in the Scooterworks flyer and on their site really don't do the jacket justice; it's much better looking. The two-tone jackets in tan, red and black all have a grey on the shoulders, outside of the sleeves and chest pockets. In the Scooterworks pics, this grey looks very shiny, like electrical tape. It's actually not as dull, and is a textured nylon with a heavy weave. (Looks like they Photoshopped the color in for the variations, so I'm not sure how accurate the red and tan are.)

I was immediately impressed by the quality of the materials and construction, the numerous features and attention to detail. The exterior is a heavy, 600 Denier nylon, with what feels like a waterproofing layer underneath and a mesh lining. The Pullman also features a zip-out full quilted liner, an unusual feature in this price range. There are numerous pockets-two outside chest, two side and one inside chest. The jacket also has velcro straps to adjust the waist and cuffs and zippered sleeves. One of my favorite details is the rubber tabs on the velcro straps which makes them very easy to grab with gloves on.

Rounding out the features is reflective piping across the chest and along the arms. I've learned to really appreciate the piping on my Corazzo; it's very effective at night. I'm glad to see this on the Pullman as well.

My one concern was the lack of venting. There's just one zippered vent across the top of the back.

Style
Aesthetically, the Pullman is somewhat fashion-neutral, with an emphasis on practicality and simplicity. It's like a basic pair of Levi's in that it will appeal to many different people, with different results depending on their personal style.

Prima boasts that, "[Our] vision was function and fashion. You no longer have to worry about looking like robocop in your riding gear when you walk into a restaurant!" While that's definitely the case, there's no hiding that this is a riding jacket. Its features (wrist closures, waist straps, heavy nylon) are visible and can't be denied. That said, this is a good-looking, casual jacket that doesn't scream "riding jacket." The fashion can't completely conceal this jacket's function. Most features are subtle and even the armor is well-integrated into the shape of the jacket so it doesn't bulge out too much.

Though I expressed dislike for anything "festooned with logos," the Pullman has nine visible on the exterior. I'll forgive most of these (as on the zipper pulls), which are fairly subtle. Even the largest ones are small, but having two on the front of the jacket (on the rubber zipper tab on the chest and above the waist) is a minor excess.

Fit and Comfort
The Pullman seems to run a bit small. I normally wear a size 46 jacket and have XLs in my other gear. On first fit, the Pullman felt a bit snug in the shoulders and sleeves and it's somewhat short. (I have a slightly long torso, though.) I have the sense a XXL would be too big, though. While many riding jackets have a tapered shape, wide and roomy on the top and narrow at the waist, the Pullman is fairly straight in the shoulders, chest and sides. The adjustable waist is nice, though I hope to be able to make it tighter instead of looser over time.

The fit improved the longer I wore the Pullman. By the end of the day, it hardly felt like I was wearing an armored jacket. The sleeves and shoulders seemed to relax as I broke it in and the fabric became less stiff. It's still a fairly snug fit, though. Without the liner, I can wear a sweater or track jacket under the Pullman. With the liner, maybe a light jacket underneath. If you frequently need to wear several layers, you may need to go up a size. That said, the quilted liner is pretty toasty and will serve you well in cool weather.

Still, some riders may have some issues depending on their shape and dimensions so I highly recommend trying the jacket on before purchase if possible.

The Pullman has a fairly short collar with a fleece lining. It felt fine zipped all the way up, not constricting. In cold weather, a rider would probably need a gaiter or scarf.

I've ridden in the Pullman in temperatures ranging from the low 50s to the mid 80s, with high winds in some areas. The jacket breathes very well, without letting too much of the wind in. At about 50 degrees with the quilted liner in and a track jacket and t-shirt underneath, the Pullman was perfectly comfortable at 60mph. By the time the temperature rose to 60, I was warm and ditched the track jacket.

Like all solid textile jackets, it starts to get pretty hot once temps reach the mid 80s. At that point, nothing short of a mesh jacket is comfortable for me. It's been that way with all 3 textiles I've owned, regardless of the amount of venting.

Prima calls this a three-season jacket and that's on the money, though which three seasons may depend on the climate where you live.

Conclusion
The Prima Pullman is like the Genuine Buddy of riding gear. It's not the flashiest jacket out there, will appeal to a broad range of buyers, and offers excellent quality and features for the price. The only drawback at this point is potential fit issues for some buyers, but that's probably the case with all riding gear. Best to try it on first if possible. If you're going to want to layer it for winter, you may want to go a size up.

More photos on my Flickr:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/82788703@N00/sets/72157616777781950/

Pullman Jacket:
http://www.scooterworks.com/Prima_Pullman_Riding_Jacket_G_P9747.cfm
i actually bought last time my Prima Pullman Jacket for $125..

UTC

Hooked
81 - P200E

Hooked
@oldstlraver avatar
81 - P200E
UTC quote
Re: Review: Prima Pullman Riding Jacket
neljeffz wrote:
i actually bought last time my Prima Pullman Jacket for $125..
Scooterworks has them on sale for around $105 right now.

Anyway, I bought the tan jacket and I really like it. My wife thinks the styling is right on.

It does fit a bit tight when you initially get it. It now seems to fit just fine, but I may just be getting used to it.

I just rode with it the other day in 30 degree weather, but I also was wearing a hoody underneath the jacket.

My downsides are:
- No venting in front to coincide with the back vents
- No way to add back armor without some modifications.
UTC

UTC quote
that's a nice jacket
⬆️    About 5 months elapsed    ⬇️
@ct_scooter_boy avatar
UTC

Vespa LX 150 , Piaggio X9 Evolution 500

@ct_scooter_boy avatar
Vespa LX 150 , Piaggio X9 Evolution 500
UTC quote
Bought one and I like it
Bought the Jacket a week ago and I like the fit and quality. Nice full liner.Pads are a little stiff but will probably wear in. I think it's stylish but not flashy. Nice value.
⬆️    About 2 months elapsed    ⬇️
@gass avatar
UTC

Addicted
GTS 250

Addicted
@gass avatar
GTS 250
UTC quote
scooterist clothes
Hi guys. I have read stuff and met some fellow scooterists that happen to be located in the USA. I noted that most of you are not that pleased with scooter type clothes looking sharp. As an original English mod, who rides a GTS, and embraces the modern world in attire as well as ride, I would say the Tucano range of clothing from Italy seems to be well cut and Mod, as wellas practical. Recently I picked up a small catalogue when I was touring Northern Italy on my GTS. Try online and see if all their clothes and extras are on the site. The prices are good, they function, and protection works. I know this from having an argument with a panel van. You won't look like a wannabe biker, or a Power ranger, more Italian, and more mod. cheers gass GTS 250 silver machine.
⬆️    About 4 months elapsed    ⬇️
@grigio_smoky avatar
UTC

Enthusiast
Granturismo

Enthusiast
@grigio_smoky avatar
Granturismo
UTC quote
Prima Jacket
Just noticed the review. I bought a Prima last fall for cool weather riding. I really liked the look and fit and found it to be a great bargain. In my case however, you get what you pay for. After a half dozen times wearing it, the zipper began separating at the bottom after about a month rendering it useless. I guess I have to find another cold weather jacket.
@gass avatar
UTC

Addicted
GTS 250

Addicted
@gass avatar
GTS 250
UTC quote
faulty jacket
So sorry. You should take your jacket back to the retailer and ask for a repair or a replace. If you bought on line, contact the supplier and make sure they know you contribute to Modern Vespa, and apply pressure. If still no good, tell everyone about the bad service. I have found with older outdoor jackets, leather, cloth and waterproof, the zip is always a weak point. But I've always found a good seamstress or repair shop that can replace a zip, usually with a better one. good luck. Gass Silver Machine. GTS 250
@2wheels avatar
UTC

Hooked
et4

Hooked
@2wheels avatar
et4
UTC quote
Puma Pullman
I bought the jacket thru e-bay a few months ago. So far so good. It was a little stiff when first tried it on, but seems to be getting more comfortable as I wear it more. It cost me $61.00 total on e-bay. Clap emoticon
Regarding faulty definitely take it up with retailer, they should make it right. I like the idea of mentioning participation in Modern Vespa, very good
idea!
⬆️    About 6 months elapsed    ⬇️
@max6200 avatar
UTC

Banned
2006 GTS 250

Banned
@max6200 avatar
2006 GTS 250
UTC quote
Thanks for posting such a thorough review. I bought this jacket after watching the Prima video on the internet last Fall. It is a great jacket for the winter. For the fall I prefer a windbreaker since I don't have a top box and I like the convenience of putting it away in the pet carrier.

It is my only jacket so far so I handle it with great care. I have the gray and black. When the liner is off, the mesh covering the armored parts seems extremely delicate and I am always afraid of ripping it.

Mine still feels very stiff. Is this jacket machine washable?

As far as size it really is the perfect fit for me. I am 6'3" 165 punds with a 30 waist. My sleeve size is 36 so the Prima really works for me. I have the medium size. It is a bit loose around the waist for but the velcro straps help.

I can't really afford a Corazzo right now but I think were I able to try them on before buying it, I would probably spurge. Need to do some research and find out where they sell them. OKC,Denver, or Dallas maybe?

After one year I have washed the jacket and the lining twice in the gentle cycle. The jacket is still pretty solid and so is the mesh lining. The armor is still in place even after washing it. I did waterproof it after washing. The fleece lined collar and cuffs still look brand new. The quilted lining is falling apart in a way that half of all the sawing is now fraying badly. I am disappointed with that but all in all it is a great winter jacket that will last only one season. The places around the velcro straps such as the sleeve zippers and the very end of the zipper at the neckline are clearly demaged and furry. It certainly looks like an old jacket now.
⬆️    About 2 years elapsed    ⬇️
@bookman avatar
UTC

Enthusiast
2007 GTS 250ie

Enthusiast
@bookman avatar
2007 GTS 250ie
UTC quote
Prima Pullman Clearance
Just a quick note that the red/grey and tan/grey Prima Pullman jackets are on clearance right now for $62.50 and $64.50 respectively.

http://www.scooterworks.com/prima--pullman--riding-jacket--red-gray--products-113.php

I was at their site to buy a windscreen (on sale) and bought the jacket as well so I got free shipping. Both arrived today and the jacket fits well. "Clearance Item. No Returns Allowed" - so be sure of your size.
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0994s ][ Queries: 20 (0.0627s) ][ Debug on ][ 313 ][ Thing One ]