OP
UTC

Lurker
MP3 400 and LX 150

Lurker
MP3 400 and LX 150
UTC quote
Hello everyone... I am new to the forum, however I have had my MP3 400 for a while. I always liked the look of the floor diamond plate from the 500. I ordered the parts today from http://www.vespamidtown.com/. Drew and I took apart the floor from the 500 in the store and compared it to the 400 and it looks like we can do it for about $60. For those interested... I will be posting pictures and let you know how the project goes.

Later,

Dewain
@glow_guy avatar
UTC

Hooked
MP3 400-THMP3R

Hooked
@glow_guy avatar
MP3 400-THMP3R
UTC quote
Welcome Dewain. We want to see pictures when you are done. I may have to take my 400 over and get the same thing.
UTC

Banned

Banned
UTC quote
It will work, other have done this.

Wayne B
OP
UTC

Lurker
MP3 400 and LX 150

Lurker
MP3 400 and LX 150
UTC quote
Parts are in... I just have to go pickup the parts and do the install. Waiting for no rain.
@gogogordy avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
Reprehensible Misinformant

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@gogogordy avatar
Reprehensible Misinformant
UTC quote
No brainer
Not to hijack your post, but it's a no brainer! I would only make the following recommendation: Use a countersink to lower the holes in the diamond-plate pieces, so a standard stovebolt type head can sit low enough to be flush and you'll be golden! It's a great mod and worth the money and few minutes required to do it imho.
Forum member supplied image with no explanatory text
@fuzzy avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
. . 2008 Blue MP3 400. . di Peluria Orso .... 1993 Kawasaki Vulcan 500 ....... 2013 Honda NC700XD; 2017 Versys X300

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@fuzzy avatar
. . 2008 Blue MP3 400. . di Peluria Orso .... 1993 Kawasaki Vulcan 500 ....... 2013 Honda NC700XD; 2017 Versys X300
UTC quote
Dewain27 wrote:
Parts are in... I just have to go pickup the parts and do the install. Waiting for no rain.
If you bought them at Vespa Midtown, Andrew was showing them off yesterday trying to talk me into buying some. They looked good and I was tempted, but spent enough money this week on belts, gasket and variators. Post some pics when you get them on.
UTC

Hooked
MP3 400 Midnight Black

Hooked
MP3 400 Midnight Black
UTC quote
Fuzzy
Fuzzy wrote:
Dewain27 wrote:
If you bought them at Vespa Midtown, Andrew was showing them off yesterday trying to talk me into buying some. They looked good and I was tempted, but spent enough money this week on belts, gasket and variators. Post some pics when you get them on.
Fuzzy, did you make it up to Hiawassee this weekend for the BMW rally??
I stopped by there for a couple of hours this weekend and although the weather was not cooperating, there were a ton of people there...

REALLY liked the bikes...

Didn't bring the scoot, was worried I might end up trading her in..
@fuzzy avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@fuzzy avatar
UTC quote
Re: Fuzzy
bdog94tiger01 wrote:
Fuzzy wrote:
Dewain27 wrote:
Fuzzy, did you make it up to Hiawassee this weekend for the BMW rally??
I stopped by there for a couple of hours this weekend and although the weather was not cooperating, there were a ton of people there...

REALLY liked the bikes...

Didn't bring the scoot, was worried I might end up trading her in..
No, that $45 registration fee was another cost of having the belt / J-costa trouble. I spent all day at Vespa Midtown getting repairs and they had to get the gasket from Norcross adding several hours to the time. If the forecast is good I may go camp at TWO this weekend. Rains flooded downtown Atlanta Saturday afternoon, hope it didn't mess up the Rally too much.
@heavyduti avatar
UTC

Hooked
MP3 500 Black

Hooked
@heavyduti avatar
MP3 500 Black
UTC quote
Re: MP3 400 floor upgrade to diamond plate from 500
Dewain27 wrote:
Hello everyone... I am new to the forum, however I have had my MP3 400 for a while. I always liked the look of the floor diamond plate from the 500. I ordered the parts today from http://www.vespamidtown.com/. Drew and I took apart the floor from the 500 in the store and compared it to the 400 and it looks like we can do it for about $60. For those interested... I will be posting pictures and let you know how the project goes.
Later,
Dewain
Would this work on a 250? Sounds like a great idea.

Thanks, Alan
@dutchman avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
Gilera Fuoco 500 Verde Chianti

Molto Verboso
@dutchman avatar
Gilera Fuoco 500 Verde Chianti
UTC quote
Re: MP3 400 floor upgrade to diamond plate from 500
heavyduti wrote:
Dewain27 wrote:
Later,
Dewain
Would this work on a 250? Sounds like a great idea.

Thanks, Alan
It should, the floorplates are the same as the 400
OP
UTC

Lurker
MP3 400 and LX 150

Lurker
MP3 400 and LX 150
UTC quote
gave up on it not raining enough for me to go down on the MP3... so, I picked up the parts yesterday and plan to put them on tomorrow. I will take pictures and try to do step by step instructions. Really should be an easy thing to do though. Keep you guys posted...
⬆️    About 2 years elapsed    ⬇️
@14perry avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
MP3 400 / BV250

Ossessionato
@14perry avatar
MP3 400 / BV250
UTC quote
Vespa Midtown has closed. Does anyone know where to get the diamond plate floorboards now?
UTC

2009 Piaggio Mp3 400ie

2009 Piaggio Mp3 400ie
UTC quote
I did this mod a few months ago. I found the parts here: http://www.athensscooterco.com/eshopprod_cat_4797-48548-48426_product_603055.209_CENTRAL_COVER.htm

I do suggest buying the bolts at a local hardware store, they are much cheeper that way.

It took about a week and a half to get the parts, and was not more than 25 dollars.

External inline image provided by member with no explanatory text[/img]
@rjeffb avatar
UTC

Bracketmeister
Bracketmeister Emeritus (retired)

Bracketmeister
@rjeffb avatar
UTC quote
>I do suggest buying the bolts at a local hardware store

Perry, I assume you are considering this in preparation for adding UFP brackets. If so, the front four screws are already included with the brackets; let me know and I'll throw in some shorter screws for the back holes. I think you will need spacers as well but I am not an expert on this.
@14perry avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
MP3 400 / BV250

Ossessionato
@14perry avatar
MP3 400 / BV250
UTC quote
I assume the spacers go under the panels to close the gap to the level the stock screws are set at.
Quote:
I do suggest buying the bolts at a local hardware store, they are much cheeper that way.

Metric button hex head in stainless steel might be a hard find in a local hardware store.

Pasted the part numbers and emailed AF1racing. Should get an answer Monday.
@ljclark avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
None

Molto Verboso
@ljclark avatar
None
UTC quote
14perry wrote:
I assume the spacers go under the panels to close the gap to the level the stock screws are set at.
Quote:

Metric button hex head in stainless steel might be a hard find in a local hardware store.

Regarding stainless metric nuts and bolts ... I usually first try the nearest hardware store that carries a decent assortment of metric stainless steel (which is about 25 minutes away). If they don't have what I'm looking for, then I go online to BoltDepot.com. If I order on Sunday afternoon, they ship Monday and UPS Ground usually gets the stuff here (DC area) by Wednesday.
@bubbajon avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
RIP: MP3 500 - Brutto Moto

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@bubbajon avatar
RIP: MP3 500 - Brutto Moto
UTC quote
LJClark wrote:
14perry wrote:
Quote:

Regarding stainless metric nuts and bolts ... I usually first try the nearest hardware store that carries a decent assortment of metric stainless steel (which is about 25 minutes away). If they don't have what I'm looking for, then I go online to BoltDepot.com. If I order on Sunday afternoon, they ship Monday and UPS Ground usually gets the stuff here (DC area) by Wednesday.
Ace, TrueValue, Lowes, Home Depot - they all carry a selection of metric - TrueValue even has a decent selection of stainless. The only issue I have ever had is the length - hard to get anything long.
@rjeffb avatar
UTC

Bracketmeister

Bracketmeister
@rjeffb avatar
UTC quote
Floorboard stock screws are M6x25 button head. I don't remember the size of the spacers but I know I've seen this posted somewhere - if worse comes to worse, look through my old UFP threads (I mean the really old ones) and I took some pictures and measurements of the stock spacers. That won't tell you where to buy them from, though, so better would be if somebody here can point you to the "real" thread with this info.

AFAIK the purpose of the spacers is so when you start cranking down the screw it doesn't start collapsing the relatively soft aluminum. Of course, the UFP will distribute force over the whole area and frankly spacers are probably superfluous for the front two screws, but could still be a consideration in the rear. Funny thing is, I don't remember if there *IS* a spacer in the rearmost screw location or not!
@ljclark avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
None

Molto Verboso
@ljclark avatar
None
UTC quote
rjeffb wrote:
... I don't remember the size of the spacers but I know I've seen this posted somewhere - if worse comes to worse, look through my old UFP threads (I mean the really old ones) and I took some pictures and measurements of the stock spacers.

Funny thing is, I don't remember if there *IS* a spacer in the rearmost screw location or not!
The parts book shows a "front fix spacer" (653478) and a "central and rear fix spacer" (653479). Precision Piaggio engineering.
@rjeffb avatar
UTC

Bracketmeister

Bracketmeister
@rjeffb avatar
UTC quote
Found it, sort of
UFP/3 footpeg brackets - old thread (Post 751022), near the bottom, entitled "Spacers." Unfortunately, in that thread I said

>There is also a "rear" spacer but since the UFP doesn't go back there, I didn't measure it.

Doh! So unfortunately I guess that's not a hell of a lot of help!

Could some kind owner of a /400 who has installed diamondplate please chime in with the size of spacers they used (especially the rearmost), and any observations on the range of sizes that could fit into the space available.

EDIT: Wait a second - if LJClark is right (and when has he been otherwise?), then the rearmost spacer is the same as the middle spacer, in which case that reference might just be helpful, after all.
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0273s ][ Queries: 5 (0.0142s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingTwo ]