UTC

Ossessionato
Consume Less & Share More

Ossessionato
@addicted avatar
Consume Less & Share More
UTC quote
Loud Turn Signals Save Lives!

This write-up was contributed by addicted, including all text and images.

An audible turn signal indicator is perhaps the one mod that should be on everyone's scooter. I want you to have this mod. I want you to be safe. You need this mod.

I've given allot of thought on how to present this mod in a simple, and entertaining format. Then, I came to my senses and realized it's impossible.

Parts Needed:
Radio Shack Piezo Buzzer, RS part # 273-080, $6.39
Radio Shack Diode 2-pk, RS part # 276-1101, $0.59

Time Needed:
1 hour

Skill Needed:
The ability to use a screwdriver, and cut and splice wires.

Patience Needed:
Not much.
No small parts, springs, etc.

Vespa ET-Specific Panel Removal Instruction
(To Illustrate The Ease Of Scooter Panel Disassembly):

*Pry-off Piaggio badge from horn cover
(hint: look for the screwdriver slot on the badge's right side)
*Unscrew horn cover screw, and remove horn cover
*Unscrew 2 screws under horn cover, securing glove box tray
*Open glove box door, and unscrew 3 screws securing glove box tray
*Lift, and wiggle-out, glove box tray from front cowl. May require pressing-down glove box release as you wiggle the glove box
*Take a moment to bask in your worldly accomplishment
(Note: If you have a GT, LX, or PX and don't know how to disassemble your panels, use a pry-bar, or just ask here and someone will help-out)

A Mini Electronics Tutorial:
The Piezo Buzzer, and the diodes, are polarized. They only conduct electricity in one direction. To maintain proper polarity, you'll need to orient your scooter with the front pointing towards the North Pole (just kidding, you should point it at the South Pole). The Piezo Buzzer wires indicate polarity using color-coded red and black wires (ingenious). The diodes indicate polarity with a stripe on one end of their body. Be sure to connect the Piezo Buzzer and diodes in their proper polarity orientation, using the wire color or body stripe, as depicted in the stunning wiring diagram.

Working With Diodes:
If you are soldering your connections, it's suggested you shield the diodes from excessive heat. The usual way to do this is to attach an alligator clip in-between the lead you're soldering and the diode body. The alligator clip will divert some heat from the diode. I've never ruined a diode by soldering, and I don't always practice safe soldering either. Don't fret about it. They didn't cost you much.

Wiring Instructions
(Common to all Vespa models):
Look at the left and right signal lamp assemblies (Chinese folk can look from right to left, instead of left to right). You'll see both signal lamps have a black wire, and a colored/striped wire. The colored/striped wires are the hot wires (ironically, they don't feel hot), and the black wires are the ground wires. You'll be splicing your Piezo Buzzer to both hot wires, and just one of the ground wires.

About The Wiring Diagram:
I struggled with the wiring diagram style. I finally decided on a pictorial diagram, as pioneered by the Aztec Indians. The wiring diagram is meant to be self-explanatory. Using the wiring diagram as a guide, wire-up your turn signal Piezo Buzzer.
External inline image provided by member with no explanatory text
How Do I Mount the Piezo Buzzer?
I mounted the Piezo Buzzer with double-sided foam tape, positioned centrally on the back of the front cowl, just bellow the horn grille. If you don't have any double-sided foam tape handy, you can buy some at Radio Shack.
External inline image provided by member with no explanatory text

In Conclusion:
There you have it. In your haste to go riding, don't forget to reassemble the panels. Beep, beep.
Copyright 2005 Gary (DBA addicted) All rights reserved.
⬆️    About 6 years elapsed    ⬇️
UTC

Lurker
xl150

Lurker
xl150
UTC quote
We tried the same set up on our LX150 Vespa but now the front turning lights just stay on but without blinking at all. And the buzzer also stays on continually even when the light switch is off. We tried the switch L then R and no blinkers go off and the buzzer keeps beeping.

What went wrong?

Thank you

Marta Paglianni
UTC

Lurker
xl150

Lurker
xl150
UTC quote
Hi ya'll we fixed the problem. We had connected the wire to the two front white light on the front of our LX150 Vespa. Those lights are not turn signals at all. They only have white light to be more visible. That is why the buzzer stayed continually on. Somehow we thought that they were turn signals.

We kept everything the same way then from there attached a long red & long black wires going all the way to the two tail end turning signals and connected each wire to each light. All is working fine now when the turn signal switch is engage for either R or L and the buzzer is off when the switch is off.

BTW thanks for sharing this. Now we will feel safer when the buzzer goes off during rush hour or while passing cars along with our LOUD horn.
@philip190 avatar
UTC

Enthusiast
White GTS 300

Enthusiast
@philip190 avatar
White GTS 300
UTC quote
Love you from Paris to care about my life !
@jimc avatar
UTC

Moderaptor
The Hornet (GT200, aka Love Bug) and 'Dimples' - a GTS 300

Moderaptor
@jimc avatar
UTC quote
A quick tip for those installing buzzers using diodes - ground the buzzer via the output side of a brake light switch - then when the brakes are on the buzzer mutes. Saves lots of irritation when waiting to turn at stop-lights etc.
⬆️    About 6 months elapsed    ⬇️
UTC

Molto Verboso
'05 Vespa Granturismo

Molto Verboso
'05 Vespa Granturismo
UTC quote
Wouldn't it be easier to connect the buzzer to the output side of the circuit interupter and just use one wire. Of course, I do not have a wiring diagram of the system to see if that's possible.
@changerang avatar
UTC

Hooked
2006 GTS

Hooked
@changerang avatar
2006 GTS
UTC quote
Jim, do you have a diagram or photo of this for dummies?
@jimc avatar
UTC

Moderaptor

Moderaptor
@jimc avatar
UTC quote
changerang wrote:
Jim, do you have a diagram or photo of this for dummies?
If you insist - it's very simple...
Forum member supplied image with no explanatory text
@vegasgeorge avatar
UTC

Banned
Homophobic Fuckwit

Banned
@vegasgeorge avatar
Homophobic Fuckwit
UTC quote
Has anyone tried this solution? http://www.scooterwest.com/items/?_pageCCS=t#page=/item_details/Audible-Turn-Signal-Flasher-for-2010-AND-NEWER-Vespas/9564 I know it's more money, but it looks like it might simply swap out the factory flasher unit with no splicing or diodes needed.
⬆️    About 9 months elapsed    ⬇️
UTC

Lurker
Vespa LX 150 ie

Lurker
Vespa LX 150 ie
UTC quote
Can I install 2 piezo buzzers (1 on Left and 1 on Right) without the Diods?
@klaborde avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
2009 MP3/250, 2012 GTS Super 300ie

Ossessionato
@klaborde avatar
2009 MP3/250, 2012 GTS Super 300ie
UTC quote
I did this on mod on my MP3, but Scooter West has the Plug in Module you can buy for $29 bucks for the Modern GTS/GTV that adds the "Click Noise" which I like a lot better by just replacing the Relay under the Knee Pad.

Keith,
Marietta, GA
@v_oodoo avatar
UTC

Style Maven
'74 50s x3 '78 P200 E '84 Cosa '91 PK50XL2 - & - '58 AllState '68 Sprint '66(?) Super125 and '72 DanMotor Super150

Style Maven
@v_oodoo avatar
'74 50s x3 '78 P200 E '84 Cosa '91 PK50XL2 - & - '58 AllState '68 Sprint '66(?) Super125 and '72 DanMotor Super150
UTC quote
crismattana wrote:
Can I install 2 piezo buzzers (1 on Left and 1 on Right) without the Diods?
Yep, did this on my PK.
Simples & you know which signal is flashing.

Just test buzzer location to make sure you can hear it riding before final mounting. I know this from experience and it's useless if you still leave your turn on cuz you can't hear the buzzer with motor noise, traffic and your helmet on.
@xmanhoe avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
Belvoir Wine Team RC (Buckfast Commando) ,Rusty Sheriff's Badge MCC, 07 ET4 ,07 Piaggio X8

Molto Verboso
@xmanhoe avatar
Belvoir Wine Team RC (Buckfast Commando) ,Rusty Sheriff's Badge MCC, 07 ET4 ,07 Piaggio X8
UTC quote
I have had them on my ET for 5 years , one for each side , + to + , - to - on each bulb , buzzers are mounted in glovebox
⬆️    About 5 years elapsed    ⬇️
UTC

Banned

Banned
UTC quote
Content deleted by tenders. A forum where management/moderators repeatedly quash and delete well-intentioned, constructive concerns about governance issues raised by multiple users does not deserve my participation.
Forum member supplied image with no explanatory text
⚠️ Last edited by tenders on UTC; edited 1 time
@roadster avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
Kymco AK550

Molto Verboso
@roadster avatar
Kymco AK550
UTC quote
tenders wrote:
This post inspired me to patch into the tail turning lights' wiring and install the diodes right before a vibrating motor that came in a plastic box about half the size of a deck of cards. It's mounted under the seat using a ziptie threaded through two 1/4" holes in the plastic. Now the seat shakes unmistakably at each flash of either one of the signals.

This device could take 5 or 6 watts versus about 1 watt for a small buzzer. So it might affect the flasher unit which may only be rated for 20 to 30 watts. Did you notice any difference in speed of the flashers?
UTC

Banned

Banned
UTC quote
Content deleted by tenders. A forum where management/moderators repeatedly quash and delete well-intentioned, constructive concerns about governance issues raised by multiple users does not deserve my participation.
@znomit avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
LX190 Friday afternoon special, Primavera, some pushbikes

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@znomit avatar
UTC quote
tenders wrote:
This post inspired me to patch into the tail turning lights' wiring and install the diodes right before a vibrating motor that came in a plastic box about half the size of a deck of cards. It's mounted under the seat using a ziptie threaded through two 1/4" holes in the plastic. Now the seat shakes unmistakably at each flash of either one of the signals.

I used one of the bolts holding the seat hinge to the frame for a ground, so only needed to tap into and run two wires around the engine - the one on each tail light that wasn't black.

The vibrating motor was $10 and a pack of 10 diodes was $5, all on Amazon Prime. I had various 16-gauge wire, disconnectable butt connectors, and splicing connectors, lying around anyway. 18-gauge wire would probably be done too. I'm a terrible solderer and didn't use a heatsink, so the diodes got plenty hot. Didn't matter.

Uxcell a12101600ux0224 DC 12V 3100RPM... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00AKWRWRW

Uxcell 25 x 1N4001 Molded Plastic... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0087YKE02
A week goes by and nobody has made an inappropriate joke about this?
UTC

Banned

Banned
UTC quote
@znomit avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@znomit avatar
UTC quote
tenders wrote:
It works great. But I pretty much never go straight
Thats OK. We're all friends here.

UTC

Banned

Banned
UTC quote
@pigletpilot avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
Gina, 1965 Vespa 180SS, Bella,1968 Vespa 150 Super, Mia, 2017 Vespa Primavera 70th Anniversary 150ie, Gabriella, 2017 GTS300 ABS

Molto Verboso
@pigletpilot avatar
Gina, 1965 Vespa 180SS, Bella,1968 Vespa 150 Super, Mia, 2017 Vespa Primavera 70th Anniversary 150ie, Gabriella, 2017 GTS300 ABS
UTC quote
Sheep jokes
So surprising no Aussies have popped up here with sheep jokes.
⬆️    About 2 years elapsed    ⬇️
UTC

Hooked
'06 GTS 250; '18 GTS 300; '21 Liberty 150

Hooked
'06 GTS 250; '18 GTS 300; '21 Liberty 150
UTC quote
Would anyone happen to know if tapping into the white wire on one of the brake lever switches would suffice as a ground?

I get that the + side of this circuit to the buzzer comes from either turn signal.

I'd like to tap into the brake system ground to silence the buzzer when braking, but would prefer not to run a wire all the way back to the tail light for this. Seems like the miniswitches on either brake lever must have an option here. There's a white/black wire which I assume is +, and a white wire which I assume is - but -- super confused by the wiring diagram.

I should add: 2018 GTS w. ABS

Thanks!
@touring300 avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
GTS 300ie Touring 2013 - Signora D'argento

Ossessionato
@touring300 avatar
GTS 300ie Touring 2013 - Signora D'argento
UTC quote
voodooskin wrote:
Would anyone happen to know if tapping into the white wire on one of the brake lever switches would suffice as a ground?

I get that the + side of this circuit to the buzzer comes from either turn signal.

I'd like to tap into the brake system ground to silence the buzzer when braking, but would prefer not to run a wire all the way back to the tail light for this. Seems like the miniswitches on either brake lever must have an option here. There's a white/black wire which I assume is +, and a white wire which I assume is - but -- super confused by the wiring diagram.

I should add: 2018 GTS w. ABS

Thanks!
Try re-posting this in 'General Discussion' where it will get noticed. People tend to go there first and not bother looking at the other categories.
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.1217s ][ Queries: 27 (0.0829s) ][ Debug on ][ 313 ][ Thing One ]