Vespa Super 'Squarish headlight'
Post Reply    Forum -> Not-So-Modern 12Next
Hooked
1997 T5 Classic
Thu Jun 18, 2009 6:30 am quote
I might have the chance to purchase a vespa super 150, but it has the round headlight.

It needs partial restoration anyway but do you reckon it would be easy to find a set of handlebars which fit that shape light? And would they fit?
Ossessionato

Thu Jun 18, 2009 6:44 am quote
So you are wanting the trapizoidal headset?

I believe that it should fit...however trying to find one might be a little bit difficult. You can always order drop bars from SIP with the trap headset
1965 Vespa SS180, 1963 Lambretta LI150
Thu Jun 18, 2009 7:38 am quote
the trap headset tended to go on the 60's sprints... did they ever go on supers?
Addicted
'78 Super 150 Mk II ported DR177, banded clutch, ASC Big Bore
Thu Jun 18, 2009 8:37 am quote
Rover Eric wrote:
the trap headset tended to go on the 60's sprints... did they ever go on supers?
Yes, there are Super 150s with trapezoidal headlights, though it may or may not be the sign of a bodge; trapezoidal headlights were on early European Super 150s, though never exported to the US (see ref.).

Later Super 150s with trap headlights were also exported to Australia, Indonesia, and elsewhere known as "Super Ts" or the "Eurospec Mk II" made from 1977-79. These (like mine) had a three port case -- and perhaps even piston -- but only a two port barrel. Perhaps the factory had moved all production to three port 150cc engines at this point like the P150x that began in '78 and the earlier Sprint Veloce that had already been around since 1969. I suppose it was a way to differentiate models and available power while still using the identical cases.

This means that for the "Super T," there's no need to dremel the case to make it a 3T, but only get a new jug and matching piston; then the engine is like a Sprint Veloce's, though the 8" wheels rather than 10" means it had different gearing. The carb was different, too; mine is a Si 20/15 and the Veloce's was larger -- perhaps a 20/17 (like the Sprint) or 20/20, as indicated at ScooterHelp.

It's worth noting that, apparently, the trap headset on the "Super T" is different than trap headsets on Sprints as the speedo is smaller, and not found in the US unless it has been imported from elsewhere.

Last edited by phaetn on Thu Jun 18, 2009 9:27 am; edited 2 times in total
1965 Vespa SS180, 1963 Lambretta LI150
Thu Jun 18, 2009 9:18 am quote
good to know.

I'd like to see a pic of one of these non-standard trap headsets, if you ever trip over one.

Something to add to my encyclopedia.
MV Saint
Haud yer wheesh't if ye cannae be nice
Thu Jun 18, 2009 9:27 am quote
Rover Eric wrote:
good to know.

I'd like to see a pic of one of these non-standard trap headsets, if you ever trip over one.

Eric i have few of them, one in my garage is a bajaj with clamshell i bought from a guy that said "It's original" And of course it's original Bajaj. I have promised myself to make it into a desk lamp.

So they are out there if anyone is interested.

Cheers
Hooked
1997 T5 Classic
Thu Jun 18, 2009 11:34 am quote
thanks for the info guys
Addicted
not-so-normal
Thu Jun 18, 2009 7:43 pm quote
phaetn wrote:
Rover Eric wrote:
Yes, there are Super 150s with trapezoidal headlights, though it may or may not be the sign of a bodge; trapezoidal headlights were on early European Super 150s, though never exported to the US (see ref.).

Later Super 150s with trap headlights were also exported to Australia, Indonesia, and elsewhere known as "Super Ts" or the "Eurospec Mk II" made from 1977-79. These (like mine) had a three port case -- and perhaps even piston -- but only a two port barrel. Perhaps the factory had moved all production to three port 150cc engines at this point like the P150x that began in '78 and the earlier Sprint Veloce that had already been around since 1969. I suppose it was a way to differentiate models and available power while still using the identical cases.

This means that for the "Super T," there's no need to dremel the case to make it a 3T, but only get a new jug and matching piston; then the engine is like a Sprint Veloce's, though the 8" wheels rather than 10" means it had different gearing. The carb was different, too; mine is a Si 20/15 and the Veloce's was larger -- perhaps a 20/17 (like the Sprint) or 20/20, as indicated at ScooterHelp.

It's worth noting that, apparently, the trap headset on the "Super T" is different than trap headsets on Sprints as the speedo is smaller, and not found in the US unless it has been imported from elsewhere.
yup
In Indonesia 150 Super begin with round head until 1973 then trap headset until 1979
there are 2 different trap head in speedo, earlier like most sprint and later with smaller speedo like sprint-V
and different in crank and flywheel form 1977 with bigger nut for sec. flywheel like P series
Rover Eric wrote:
good to know.

Here's Super78 with different trap headset
Banned

Fri Jun 19, 2009 12:27 am quote
they apparently made these supers in the 60's here in NZ as well. I am not sure of all the details just trying to get that info, give me a few days, this thread reminded me of this. It would have been short lived, and limited production. A round light, 8 inch wheels and no numbers on the chassis, that is how you can tell them from others. I have one like this, they also came with a wild looking locally made oversize fiberglass windscreen. Another interesting thing that is in this country for you historians, is a mold for that aero dinamic cover similar to the racer in the Piaggio museum. I have never seen it but know the fellow that has it, I am not sure where it came from or how it came to be here or what the story is on it.
Addicted
not-so-normal
Fri Jun 19, 2009 2:06 am quote
snakebike wrote:
I have one like this, they also came with a wild looking locally made oversize fiberglass windscreen. Another interesting thing that is in this country for you historians, is a mold for that aero dinamic cover similar to the racer in the Piaggio museum.
are you talking about nelson piquet screen?

Hooked
Yamaha MIO :P
Fri Jun 19, 2009 2:58 am quote
veloce75 wrote:
snakebike wrote:
I have one like this, they also came with a wild looking locally made oversize fiberglass windscreen. Another interesting thing that is in this country for you historians, is a mold for that aero dinamic cover similar to the racer in the Piaggio museum.
are you talking about nelson piquet screen?
Someone on local Indonesian forum have and selling that thing... I don't know it seem rather "off" from the scoot, plus it's very expensive too
Veni, Vidi, Posti
px200 cutdown,px180,px150. Puch SR. Puch scooterette
Fri Jun 19, 2009 4:39 am quote
whats this clamshell headlight buddy can i have a looksee
Molto Verboso
No Scooter no more...
Fri Jun 19, 2009 5:05 am quote

Oh nice!

thats a nice paint job you got there mate.
nothing at all
Fri Jun 19, 2009 8:18 am quote
christos x wrote:

Oh nice!

what do you think christos,stripped and clear coat your next project.
i always thought it cool to blast a scoot and clear it.
Ossessionato

Fri Jun 19, 2009 8:27 am quote
jimmyb865 wrote:
christos x wrote:

Oh nice!

what do you think christos,stripped and clear coat your next project.
i always thought it cool to blast a scoot and clear it.
Matt black the f*cker!

nothing at all
Fri Jun 19, 2009 8:31 am quote
obviously the three of us don't like shiny stuff
Moderibbit
1980 P200E - "Old Rusty", 1976 ET3 Primavera
Fri Jun 19, 2009 8:43 am quote
jimmyb865 wrote:
That makes for a cool shiny, though. Not the chromed bling type of shiny, more the rugged 1940s aluminum-shell airplane kind of look
nothing at all
Fri Jun 19, 2009 8:51 am quote
yes!
Ossessionato

Fri Jun 19, 2009 8:55 am quote
jimmyb865 wrote:
This is very true..unless it's all origional and you make it shine. However I was using Christos's catch phrase "Matt Black The F*cker!"
MV Saint
Fri Jun 19, 2009 9:08 am quote
joshzingzing wrote:
whats this clamshell headlight buddy can i have a looksee
Hi mate, this is the Bajaj version i was talking about. It's strange. Although many "Italian" Vespa sprints were made in India in the mid 60's, this is more odd and identical to the SS due to the Trap and clam speedo. There must be many out there.

It's stamped Bajaj 5. Again it will make a nice wee lamp.

Cheers

Not piaggio but nice

Trap Head light

Veni, Vidi, Posti
Sat Jun 20, 2009 9:31 pm quote
yes that is a nice shape bajaj set
i kindve like the old bajaj 150 sprint with that setup
have you painted it? or something
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Sat Jun 20, 2009 9:46 pm quote
lamp
thatll make a nice lamp for sure
i made a wall lamp outve a EK holden tail lamp once it was allright ey very ocker

i guess youll just need a nice block of hardwood --over here (home)i'd carve a block of sheoak or jarrah burl as a base drill a hole, couple o wires and a dodgy switch and its a goer

maybe you could use a vespa front hub and rim as a base ?and do a bit of weding for a stem, weld on a sping or something

MV Saint
Sun Jun 21, 2009 7:01 am quote
I like your idea mate. My wife would kill me if i were to "Make" anything else scooter related for the house. I have 8 scooters parked around my wee house and half a VNA on the wall

She has put me on notice now that spring is here.

As far as the lamp, i started working on an old Castrol can as a base and i gave away the siem headlight to a mate, it's was too good for a Bajaj headset

Cheers
Addicted
not-so-normal
Sun Jun 21, 2009 10:32 pm quote
another super trap head
same color like yours Jimh ...
of course original with Piaggio logo stamped

Veni, Vidi, Posti
Mon Jun 22, 2009 12:47 am quote
ah well thats adifferent thing again Veloce
ill try post a pic here of the same clam thingy
Banned

Wed Jul 01, 2009 4:38 pm quote
so this is the lodown on Made In NZ scooters. By Airco in Auckland, had to be 20% made in NZ by law. They made the tires rear rack , seat and the large windscreen here as well as assembling them. On the SS90 they eliminated the dummy tank. Some are stamped with a 4 digit number on the chasis. late fifties to late sixties.

this is what the screen looked like made of fiberglass, seat was foam with chrome rear rack

Ossessionato
ET2, PX150
Wed Jul 01, 2009 5:50 pm quote
jimh wrote:
......and half a VNA on the wall
Interesting....pics?
Addicted
Wed Feb 08, 2012 11:06 am quote
phaetn wrote:
Rover Eric wrote:

Update: a mechanic friend of mine who is port matching and shaping the head of the DR177 kit for my Super 150 Mk II (Eurospec) -- and installing a new Mazzy crank while he's at it -- pointed out that the scoot was also a U.K. spec. He found the following site:

http://www.mvt.org.uk/members_files/pages/lambshead_r.htm

Apparently the British Royal Navy used the Supers with trapezoidal headsets, too. They didn't just go to Australasia...

Cheers,
phaetn
Hooked
"worlds 2nd fastest"74'super 150 . 79'p177x ,1983 lml 150, 2007aprilia sxv 450.
Sat Feb 18, 2012 1:18 am quote
curios
heyi bought a crappy old asian resto and i found a cigarette pack in it from indonesia ...so it was from indonesia...makes sense....but its got the trap head...vin is 74'super, 150 motor #s match too...two port ...and trap head ,piaggio markings inside,head...but small speedo
Veni, Vidi, Posti
a not so normal vbb2 '64, a weirdo vbx '86, a not so normal pts100 '82 and a red lipstick '74 sprint
Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:35 pm quote
that head is normal for a Indo bike and ur bike spec is similar with mine

nice bike but please dont buy more vespa from Indo

have a nice day and cheer mate
Hooked
"worlds 2nd fastest"74'super 150 . 79'p177x ,1983 lml 150, 2007aprilia sxv 450.
Mon Feb 20, 2012 10:41 am quote
trap head
hey koenig ,so i guess this vespa i have was imported from italy back in 74' ...with this trap head on it?....the italians must have been exporting the (old style) trap heads to asia, while exporting the (new style) round headlight models to north america and european countries, where new road regulations required the better performing headlight?...
i bought this bike for 1200$...so i was sure that the bike was asian,and was made of parts from 20 other bikes....
(although i had checked vin#s for motor AND frame,prior to purchase, which showed production numbers from ITALY 1974)
.but it is funny to think this bike may actually be original!
it would be nice if someone had fotos of bikes in local asian shops from back in the day ..to see exactly what parts the vespas had when they were purchased new..old fotos of bikes coming off boats from italy in the early seventies...just for historical record..not danmotor in late seventies, but ACTUAL italian imports...
Addicted
Mon Feb 20, 2012 3:49 pm quote
I have something similar, but a 1978 Eurospec so it has a 3 port case. It's a bit of a hybrid of older generation Super with some internals from the burgeoning P series (like the crank). That wouldn't apply for a 1974, I don't think. SIP indicates a different set of components for the Super 150 as of serial #412374, which Scooterhelp indicates would be a 1977.

My understanding is that these scoots were made in Italy but expressly for export markets. They never made it to North America and are practically unheard of here. The later ones (1977-79) are known as the "Super T" for the Trapezoidal headseat or as the Mark II Eurospec or UK Spec and made their way to Australia (used by the the Australian Postal Service), Indonesia and elsewhere. As I linked above, they even made it to Britain for the Royal Navy, apparently, but I don't think were otherwise sold to end users in the UK (though I could be wrong about that). As I say, the late model ones have 3 port cases and some early P components but I don't think that's the case for earlier ones.

The thing is with the Super Ts is that most I've seen have a Piaggo hex logo above the speedo on a flattened/beveled area as follows:

Yours and the one ebeth posted don't have that, whereas the ones Veloce posted do. Note also the differently shaped speedo: yours and ebeth's are clear clamshell shapes while the others aren't (and also stamped Piaggo).
Hooked
'81 P200, '77 Bajaj Sprint, 4T Bajaj's (like 4 of them)
Mon Feb 20, 2012 4:47 pm quote
The Cover of the "Mods Mayday '79" LP has a trap-headset Super with a flyscreen shaped for trapazoidal.
Vespa GT 1967 / LML Star Deluxe
Tue Feb 21, 2012 5:57 am quote
Hi!

For even more references, here is my 1979 Super T (waiting for restuaration) As you can see, these where also exported to Costa Rica.
The funny thing about mine is that it is what we call a “salad” vespa, meaning scoots with mixed parts from various models already in the local assembly line (Piaggio Costa Rica)
This Super T 150 actually has an 1980 p125x engine and as strange as it may seem a vin number that is of P125x and not VBC. All these features original from the Piaggio-Costa Rica dealer.

The glove Box is NOT original

1975 Vespa 150 Super
Sat Apr 28, 2012 11:56 am quote
I have a 1976 Super 150 with trap head... Not Bajaj, and with an original SIEM headlight fitted. Mine was not a 'salad', but like Has, I too am in Costa Rica. It is funny because we have a small Costa Rican Vespa Group on Facebook and it seems that more than a few of us have Super 150's from the late 70's with trap heads. When I bought it looked like this:

Oh, and here is the Veglia Borletti speedo smashed beyond recognition:

Funny thing is I bought it from the original owner and he claimed that aside from the front fender no parts were ever exchanged. IGM number on the chassis, sticker on the front fork and engine number all add up, too...
Veni, Vidi, Posti
a not so normal vbb2 '64, a weirdo vbx '86, a not so normal pts100 '82 and a red lipstick '74 sprint
Sun Apr 29, 2012 7:56 pm quote
nice to know that mate, guess now trap headset on a super isnt only produce in Indonesia after all

enjoy the super and ride safe mate

cheer
Hooked
VBC 150 super (1971). VBC 150 super ( 1977)
Sun Jul 27, 2014 12:07 pm quote
Could someone put up a pic' of the speedo that goes into the headset of a 150 super vbc (1979)
Ossessionato
Sun Jul 27, 2014 5:46 pm quote
The Vespa Super was built from '65 to '76. The speedo is the same as the small frame speedo.
Style Maven
74 50s x3 78 P200 x2 84 Cosa PK50XL2 58 AllState 68 Sprint 80 50special '66(?) Super125
Sun Jul 27, 2014 5:59 pm quote
Some low end smallies have a little round one or none at all, just a round plastic plug.
Here's the same one you're looking for in a Primavera

Hooked
VBC 150 super (1971). VBC 150 super ( 1977)
Tue Jul 29, 2014 3:59 pm quote
Joey135 wrote:
Could someone put up a pic' of the speedo that goes into the headset of a 150 super vbc (1977)
  DoubleGood Vespa T-Shirts  
Post Reply    Forum -> Not-So-Modern 12Next
[ Time: 0.0944s ][ Queries: 28 (0.0502s) ][ Debug on ][ Thing Two ]