OP
@g_bowman avatar
UTC

Hooked
only a memory 08 Midnight Blue GTS 250, Suzuki Burgman, 400Burgman 650.

Hooked
@g_bowman avatar
UTC quote
Thank you, thank you thank you - Thanks to very vocal members of this forum I wear a ff helmet and a good jacket, boots that cover my ankles & sturdy jeans even when it was 100 degrees today.
I was T boned at a light by a new driver who backed up, pulled around me and left me in the road! I was thinking the car behind him would get me. I can't believe how many people came to my aid today. I was near a mini mart. Some people followed the car as and the driver went home and put the car in a garage. Someone else got me and my scoot out of the road, someone else gave me their cell phone dialed to 911. Someone else brought me water, I am sure I don't remember all the great help I received today. The driver eventually came back with family members that proceeded to shreik at me for "hitting their car", and then they started to harass and threaten the witnesses. So several people stayed with me till three patrol cars showed up. All of a sudden the shreikers became very polite. Our city laid off 9 officers today so the response was slow, but the officers were great when they came.
My hands and arms twisted. My hands took the worst of it. I think my coat is fine, I have to look at it again later. My helmet face shield is scratched badly, that would have been my nose and teeth.
X rays show no breaks but I can't lift a glass of water or unbutton with my left hand and the pain is just getting going. There are various scrapes and bruises on my arms and legs after sliding on the pavement and a short roll. But I walked away from it.
So I am going to go drift off into pain killer land and I will be back to visit MV when my head clears. The very worst thing - it looks like my scoot will not make it to Amerivespa. Can I bring an old Buick instead?
And anyone thinks that stuff looks dorky on a Vespa - GO HOME AND PUT ALL OF THAT SAFETY STUFF ON. Mom says so.
@grscum avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
2012 BMW G650GS, 2006 GTS,

Ossessionato
@grscum avatar
2012 BMW G650GS, 2006 GTS,
UTC quote
Glad to here you are pretty much ok and the hit and run a$$ hole was caught! Be sure to replace your helmet since it hit the ground.
@chetwynder avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
Baart-less

Ossessionato
@chetwynder avatar
Baart-less
UTC quote
Thanks for posting so soon after the accident, it must be hard to type and mouse with sore paws like that! It's good to know you are mostly OK. Heal up quickly! Do you still have the Burgman listed under your avatar or did the Vespa replace it? Burgmans are welcome at Amerivespa...

Dave
@aviator47 avatar
UTC

2006 PX 150 & Malossi Kitted Malaguti Yesterday (Wife's)

@aviator47 avatar
2006 PX 150 & Malossi Kitted Malaguti Yesterday (Wife's)
UTC quote
Glad to hear things turned out relatively OK. Best wishes for a speedy healing

A&A
@nickandsusan avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
65 Sprint, 2008 150S

Ossessionato
@nickandsusan avatar
65 Sprint, 2008 150S
UTC quote
Wow, what a day, and what a wonderful community you have. It just reminds us to make sure we always gear up. I know I am guilty of cruising around the neighborhood in just jeans, a sweatshirt, and my ff helmet.

heal up, and we will see you and your Buick at AV!
@tb avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
Vespa 2005 GT200 & Honda Metro

Ossessionato
@tb avatar
Vespa 2005 GT200 & Honda Metro
UTC quote
Glad your O.K. Son had accident in Feb. and is still recovering...car stopped in his path while trying to make left turn and stopped...

Passed this link to him and asked him to pass onto his friends. Specifically ankle high boots.
@boulty avatar
UTC

Moderator Australis
2014 Moto Guzzi V7 Stone, 2014 Vespa 150 Primavera (sold) 2003 Vespa GT200 (sold)

Moderator Australis
@boulty avatar
2014 Moto Guzzi V7 Stone, 2014 Vespa 150 Primavera (sold) 2003 Vespa GT200 (sold)
UTC quote
Glad you came out of the scrape generally OK. Lomunchi called me "Mr Safety" (in a friendly way) the other day, but hey, whatever it takes.
Heal quickly, good luck with the insurance etc.
Kia kaha
@genie avatar
UTC

Gobshite Shiva
Kymco Downtown 300i the 'Dolphin Noise'

Gobshite Shiva
@genie avatar
Kymco Downtown 300i the 'Dolphin Noise'
UTC quote
stories of hit 'n run idiots always make me see red Livid emoticon good to hear that some people still care enough to stop and help and i'm delighted to hear that the moron who t-boned you was caught. best news of all is that you're okay heal quick.
@wonder_machine avatar
UTC

Size of a Chaffinch
PX 125 "The Bruise" (SOLD)

Size of a Chaffinch
@wonder_machine avatar
PX 125 "The Bruise" (SOLD)
UTC quote
Enjoy the painkillers.

The driver that did that is a cockgobbler.

Get better, and take so anti imflammatories for the hand. I had a similar injury to you after my accident and the swelling needed treatment.

Best of luck with the insurance.
@trafficjammer avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
2008 Teal LX125 ... 2007 Red LX150 ... 2010 Yellow LX125ie

Ossessionato
@trafficjammer avatar
2008 Teal LX125 ... 2007 Red LX150 ... 2010 Yellow LX125ie
UTC quote
WOW! What a shame and so sorry to hear about your scooter! Awfully glad the guilty party will ultimately pay the price for his actions but very sorry you were hurt and that you will miss Amerivespa! Bummer!

Take care of yourself and heal quickly. Hope you get back on the road soon!
@mr_mophead avatar
UTC

Hooked
Vespa ET4

Hooked
@mr_mophead avatar
Vespa ET4
UTC quote
Wonder Machine wrote:
Enjoy the painkillers.
Laughing emoticon Laughing emoticon Laughing emoticon Laughing emoticon

You could always get a lift from someone else on a vespa to Amerivespa.
Hope insurance sorts out your scoot for you and your back riding ASAP.
@558 avatar
UTC

Hooked
Kawasaki ER5

Hooked
@558 avatar
Kawasaki ER5
UTC quote
Best wishes on a speedy recovery.

Don't understand how people can just leave someone after an accident but fair-play to those who followed them home.
@fluffy avatar
UTC

Hooked
Beverly 350 "Mavis"

Hooked
@fluffy avatar
Beverly 350 "Mavis"
UTC quote
Glad to hear that there are many more good people than bad. I hope there are enough police officers left to throw books at the driver!
@benito avatar
UTC

2010 Dragon Red GTS 300 Super, 2018 Grigio Titanio Piaggio Liberty S 150

@benito avatar
2010 Dragon Red GTS 300 Super, 2018 Grigio Titanio Piaggio Liberty S 150
UTC quote
Wow, why can't people just be honest about it and admit their mistakes. Thank goodness you had your gear on. And thank goodness for the witnesses who helped.
@geo-vesp avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
PX150 Serie America, T5 Classic, Harley Iron 883

Ossessionato
@geo-vesp avatar
PX150 Serie America, T5 Classic, Harley Iron 883
UTC quote
Sorry to hear this/I need to remember to wear the gear when it's hot, I tend to get lazy with my compliance. If anything happens, hope there is a similar community spirit that you experienced
⚠️ Last edited by Geo-Vesp on UTC; edited 1 time
@ummgood avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
2009 BV500

Ossessionato
@ummgood avatar
2009 BV500
UTC quote
First I know what you are going through. I could barely use my right arm for about 5 days. Keep taking those meds. I have a physical theropy appointment on Monday to start exercising my right arm.

What I am really shocked about is there are so many nice people in Modesto. I thought that place was a lost cause. You proved me wrong. (My wife lived there when we started dating so I was there a lot!).

I think the person who ran from the scene should get booked for that. Even though they did come back because someone ran them down!
@en82pg avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
2010 PIAGGIO BV 500ie Tourer

Ossessionato
@en82pg avatar
2010 PIAGGIO BV 500ie Tourer
UTC quote
Good to hear you survived as well as you did.

Get a good lawyer and sue the s**t out of the b*****d!!!
@pdxvespa avatar
UTC

Modératrice
2005 Cobalt Blue ET4

Modératrice
@pdxvespa avatar
2005 Cobalt Blue ET4
UTC quote
Thanks for restoring faith in humanity-- glad you got such good help AND that the perp was caught! [GRRRR] I'm also very happy to hear that your gear did its job. Like Wonder Machine said, take your ibuprofen, and use ice for swelling, while enjoying your painkillers of choice.

And let the perp's insurance treat to some rehabilitative massage! 8)

Keep us posted.

--Deborah
@silver_streak avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
2007 Vespa LX 190, 2011 LXV150ie

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@silver_streak avatar
2007 Vespa LX 190, 2011 LXV150ie
UTC quote
Ouch! Glad to hear you are largely intact... it will hurt more tomorrow! Be thankful for all the help you got. When I got hit last December, all the many witnesses took off, and absolutely nobody stopped to help.

This is inspiring me to look for a better hot-weather armored jacket so that I'm not tempted to ride without one as the temps and humidities rise well into the 90s here.
UTC

Addicted
His - 2009 Kawasaki Vulcan 900 Classic LT, Hers - 2008 MP3 250

Addicted
UTC quote
Soooo glad to hear that you are OK. I'm sure you're feeling it today, though.

My wife and I live and scoot in Modesto. Can I ask where in the city you were hit?
@wmak avatar
UTC

Moto Giro Titan
2009 GTS 250 Super Lucrezia Borgia, 2013 Ducati Hyperstrada, Little Big Red,2020 Zero SR/S, Zeus, Electric Dragon

Moto Giro Titan
@wmak avatar
2009 GTS 250 Super Lucrezia Borgia, 2013 Ducati Hyperstrada, Little Big Red,2020 Zero SR/S, Zeus, Electric Dragon
UTC quote
Glad you are recovering. Good advice to encourage use of safety gear. The person who hit you will suffer from their bad karma.
OP
@g_bowman avatar
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
@g_bowman avatar
UTC quote
Chetwynder wrote:
Thanks for posting so soon after the accident, it must be hard to type and mouse with sore paws like that! It's good to know you are mostly OK. Heal up quickly! Do you still have the Burgman listed under your avatar or did the Vespa replace it? Burgmans are welcome at Amerivespa...

Dave
Thank you for all of your concern and comments.

How could I not post soon? I don't know you folks in person, and you can see from my posts that I don't always write, but I am addicted to the advice on this site. So of course you are the people that have a clue what I went through. My family and freinds will be in "I told you so" mode. I am 54 so my girl freinds think I am nuts to ride.
On my way home I wanted to stop every rider on the road with a beanie helmet and no gear and show them how well mine held up.

The Burgman was also coming to Amerivespa with my hubby on it. I borrow it on occasion. We will be there, but probably with Buick. Maybe we can hang our heads out the window with helmets on.

I am in much better shape than even I expected. Hands are taped up and I have to skip typing with two of my fingers, but they will come around.
I feel the "twist" in my torso from rolling. I have to use mouse sparingly.

I will get pictures of damage for you later - scooter did amazingly well. I am used to newer plastic vehicles ripping all to bits I guess. Yes I will replace my helmet. Face shield is scratched badly and looks like I hit the back of my head also.

I had just been on a long ride to next Manteca, had put in 60 or 70 miles yesterday and I get hit withing 5 miles of home. I had riding plans today too. ARRGGHHH.
@scooter_bug avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
2007 LX 150 & 1969 Sprint Veloce

Molto Verboso
@scooter_bug avatar
2007 LX 150 & 1969 Sprint Veloce
UTC quote
I'm glad to hear you didn't break any bones. Heal up quick. I've been tempted to ride without my jacket but accidents can happen anywhere. Too bad it takes an accident to be thankful you wear Toreador Pants.
@redcatjack avatar
UTC

Addicted
65 SS180; 79 P200E, 65 Fuji Rabbit Superflo, 07 GTS 250, 12 BMW C650GT

Addicted
@redcatjack avatar
65 SS180; 79 P200E, 65 Fuji Rabbit Superflo, 07 GTS 250, 12 BMW C650GT
UTC quote
G - I'm sure you guys could ride 2-up on the Burgman - you gotta scoot!

Your post made me angry - just incredible actions on the part of the bastard cager. This is why I make a focused scan of every intersection. Shouldn't have to, but you never know.

Take care, take the Ibu and look forward to seeing you in Saratoga next week!
@pat avatar
UTC

Hooked
GT200 "the blue hybiscus", BV350 "green giant"

Hooked
@pat avatar
GT200 "the blue hybiscus", BV350 "green giant"
UTC quote
I am glad you are ok and doing better. Sorry to hear about your scoot but glad the people came to your rescue. Good Luck with the insurance and take care! Glad to hear you had your gear on!
OP
@g_bowman avatar
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
@g_bowman avatar
UTC quote
Redcatjack wrote:
G - I'm sure you guys could ride 2-up on the Burgman - you gotta scoot!

Your post made me angry - just incredible actions on the part of the bastard cager. This is why I make a focused scan of every intersection. Shouldn't have to, but you never know.

Take care, take the Ibu and look forward to seeing you in Saratoga next week!
I love and trust my husband more than anyone, but I don't ride behind ANYONE. I will take riders but I am the driver. He does not take it personally.
OP
@g_bowman avatar
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
@g_bowman avatar
UTC quote
keith_benedict wrote:

My wife and I live and scoot in Modesto. Can I ask where in the city you were hit?
Coming down Prescott from Standiford and going into the turn lane left on Rumble Rd.
UTC

Addicted

Addicted
UTC quote
G Bowman wrote:
keith_benedict wrote:

Coming down Prescott from Standiford and going into the turn lane left on Rumble Rd.
Oh my. My wife and I go that way all the time when we ride downtown.

Keep us posted on how things turn out with the Police and insurance.

Heal quickly!
OP
@g_bowman avatar
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
@g_bowman avatar
UTC quote
Redcatjack wrote:
This is why I make a focused scan of every intersection. Shouldn't have to, but you never know.

Good advice. I am always looking out for the people who may not see me and we do have a big issue with cars not stopping when the light changes - they like to extend the yellow light. This young man came out of a mini mart parking lot at high speed. Two lanes. Cars in the lane closest to him let him through, he did not bother to see if there was traffic in the second lane. I was moving into turn lane as he shot direclty across toward the turn lane.
UTC

Addicted
GTS250ie

Addicted
GTS250ie
UTC quote
It's good to hear that you're okay.

Keep us posted as to what happens... I know there's plenty of crime in Modesto to keep the cops busy, but if you have a chance to press charges against that fucker for hit-and-run, then do it!

They didn't have insurance did they? My wife and I have been rear-ended (in our cars) three times in the last four years. Not once by a person with insurance.
OP
@g_bowman avatar
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
@g_bowman avatar
UTC quote
chrisives242 wrote:
It's good to hear that you're okay.

Keep us posted as to what happens... I know there's plenty of crime in Modesto to keep the cops busy, but if you have a chance to press charges against that fucker for hit-and-run, then do it!

They didn't have insurance did they? My wife and I have been rear-ended (in our cars) three times in the last four years. Not once by a person with insurance.
I have not been able to verify that what he gave me is valid, but I don't think he can have learner permit without it. But the more I think about this one, the more I think legal counsel is needed. I will get info from local dealership later today on scooter damages.
@jimc avatar
UTC

Moderaptor
The Hornet (GT200, aka Love Bug) and 'Dimples' - a GTS 300

Moderaptor
@jimc avatar
The Hornet (GT200, aka Love Bug) and 'Dimples' - a GTS 300
UTC quote
Isn't it illegal where you are not to have at least third-party insurance? Sure is here, even though many twats go without it, as the odds of being caught and the fines make the balance of the sums fall heavily on going non-legal for the younger (and more dangerous) drivers.
OP
@g_bowman avatar
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
@g_bowman avatar
UTC quote
jimc wrote:
Isn't it illegal where you are not to have at least third-party insurance? Sure is here, even though many twats go without it, as the odds of being caught and the fines make the balance of the sums fall heavily on going non-legal for the younger (and more dangerous) drivers.
Very illegal. But as you said that does not stop people from driving. That is why we pay for uninsured motorist coverage. We end up paying just in case someone else does not want to be licensed or insured. We have a lot of folks of all ages that don't get licensed or insured because they may be deported. Who knows if they really ever took driving lessons and if they can read the road signs. Wha? emoticon
@ronin avatar
UTC

Addicted
Vespa Rally 180 BMW R1150R Suzuki Burgman 400

Addicted
@ronin avatar
Vespa Rally 180 BMW R1150R Suzuki Burgman 400
UTC quote
What a good story (the ending anyway!) and very glad to hear that you came out as well as you did. Take care of yourself and let hubby/people help you if they can. I'm proud of the members of your community for sticking up for you!
@lomunchi avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
2020 Honda NC750DCT

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@lomunchi avatar
2020 Honda NC750DCT
UTC quote
Glad to hear you were wearing the gear. I'm kind of glad you didn't post a picture of your helmet because that always makes me teary-eyed, thinking about what almost was.

Some of the pics and stories that have been posted here keep me in my gear with my FF.

Heal quickly.
@ianp avatar
UTC

Destroyer of Worlds
LML Star 125, Vespa GT200

Destroyer of Worlds
@ianp avatar
LML Star 125, Vespa GT200
UTC quote
jimc wrote:
In CA every car is required to have insurance before it can be registered. So if the asshat's registration was current, then there should at least be $15,000 of bodily injury coverage and $5000 of property damage coverage.
@lifer avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
Black Molly - GTS 300

Molto Verboso
@lifer avatar
Black Molly - GTS 300
UTC quote
Thank goodness you are ok with nothing more serious done

I wonder if the police will charge the person with fleeing an accident?

Word of advice is for you to keep those bandages on your sprained hand / arms. It helps a lot - said from experience.

Thanks for your post... it was hot today, I wore my new Nolan x402 instead of a Shoei multitech ff... but more to the point, I fudged this afternoon running to the post office in just t-shirt, boots and jeans.

You story reminds us all that sometimes, the other guy makes mistakes and we have to pay the price. In that event, no matter how careful or how good of a driver we might be... we still get clobbered!

With wishes for fast replacement of your scooter and full health - just in time for your rally!
OP
@g_bowman avatar
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
@g_bowman avatar
UTC quote
I asked the police if anything will be done and they said no. He eventually came back. But I don't think he would have come back if there were not so many good folks enraged by his actions.

I have an appointment with legal counsel next week. Don't know if it will help or not. It makes me angry that they did not even discuss this with him.

I am turning purple and green in many spots. Crying or Very sad emoticon
@scootergirl40 avatar
UTC

Enthusiast
Vespa LX150

Enthusiast
@scootergirl40 avatar
Vespa LX150
UTC quote
Good Example
I am so glad that you came out of this as well as you did. It is a good reminder to the rest of us that we have to be responsible for our own riding as well as other people's driving. Rest and get well. I hope that I don't have to relive your experience- ever!

Best wishes. Sorry about your scooter but it is replaceable....
@joevera avatar
UTC

Lurker
LX150

Lurker
@joevera avatar
LX150
UTC quote
Gear, Gear, Gear
Usesd to snicker when I saw people scooting with all the gear...then lived my own "clipped by a car" story. Stylish Davida helmet didn't protect much. Fractured the lateral wall of my eye socket, broke a front tooth, bones in my nose, a rib, not to mention being relieved of quite a bit of skin on my exposed extremities. Needless to say I gear up and let the others snicker at me, too. Hoping you have a speedy recovery![img][/img][/img]
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0264s ][ Queries: 3 (0.0111s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingTwo ]