OP
@catskill avatar
UTC

Addicted
4 LD's in various states of repair, MP3 500, 1961 Lambro Fli 175, 1965 Topper, 07 GTS250, 81 P200, 79 P200

Addicted
@catskill avatar
4 LD's in various states of repair, MP3 500, 1961 Lambro Fli 175, 1965 Topper, 07 GTS250, 81 P200, 79 P200
UTC quote
This is a report from a road trip from the Catskills in New York to Virginia to Tennessee and North Carolina and back to New York...

Just got back from my honeymoon. My husband and I took our scooters with us and used our time wisely. We hit a music festival called floyd fest in Floyd Virginia with the likes of the Duhks and Grace Potter and the Nocturnals...
External inline image provided by member with no explanatory text
I was originally going to hit Virginia, Tennessee and Florida...but...when James and I got to Gatlinburg, Tennessee we fell in love and decided to can florida and stay in Tennessee for the remaining 8 days...We did many things and rode many places (pics, routes and stories to come) the most notable and fun was riding the Tail of the Dragon along the Tennessee and North Carolina Border...Here is a video for your enjoyment!
8)

I have not purchased pics yet but they are up on these sites below from July 28th and the 30th when we rode 129/Deals Gap.
http://www.photoreflect.com/pr3/photocard.aspx?pc=00B38A6A87638524B64CC8EF7884C6A4
http://www.photoreflect.com/pr3/photocard.aspx?pc=00B38A6A876385248102CB0115DE3A04
http://www.photoreflect.com/pr3/photocard.aspx?pc=00B38A6A876385249D393C405635EFDC
http://www.photoreflect.com/pr3/photocard.aspx?pc=00B38A6A87638524ED38E8C44702D456
http://www.photoreflect.com/pr3/photocard.aspx?pc=00B38A6A876385244315C3D63DC9BC61

The Tennesse side of the Smokey Mountains is amazing and much fun on a 250cc+scooter. I would highly recommend anyone planning a similar trip bring along their rain gear. The weather can and does change at a moments notice in the Smoky Mountains.

Of course the Tail of the Dragon is the big draw to go to that area but once you're out there you will find there are many other windy twisty roads to enjoy with very rewarding destinations filled with natural beauty. If I wasn't so tired from un-packing I'd post some of the routes...I will do that later for now enjoy the [url=http://s524.photobucket.com/albums/cc324/catskillnyrider/Honeymoon/?albumview=grid]pictures[/url] and the YOU TUBE video!

This was my route. (Individual scooter routes to come)

We used this to get the scooters to each destination and then parked the rig and used the scooters to explore everywhere.
External inline image provided by member with no explanatory textExternal inline image provided by member with no explanatory text

I know by some standards that may seem lame to you but we had limited time and if we rode our scooters down we would not have had nearly as much fun time exploring the mountains. Personally I'd rather be on a mountain road any day than a highway.
⚠️ Last edited by Catskill on UTC; edited 2 times
@kcphoto2008 avatar
UTC

Hooked
2009 Piaggio BV250

Hooked
@kcphoto2008 avatar
2009 Piaggio BV250
UTC quote
Very nice video and pics. After the Dragon and the Smokies a trip to Cherohala Parkway would have been on my list. It's similar to the Smokies except less congested and therefore less smog hanging around. I did like the way you upped the speed on that video...lol

Thanks for posting and making me want to hit the road. Laughing emoticon
@thunderbird avatar
UTC

Enthusiast
GTS250

Enthusiast
@thunderbird avatar
GTS250
UTC quote
WHAT A COOL ADVENTURE!
Thanks for sharing.....Smokey Mountians is a beautiful part of this land. Pics look super.

THANKS
@jess avatar
UTC

Petty Tyrant
0:7 And counting

Petty Tyrant
@jess avatar
0:7 And counting
UTC quote
Nice, thanks for posting.
@fuzzy avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
. . 2008 Blue MP3 400. . di Peluria Orso .... 1993 Kawasaki Vulcan 500 ....... 2013 Honda NC700XD; 2017 Versys X300

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@fuzzy avatar
. . 2008 Blue MP3 400. . di Peluria Orso .... 1993 Kawasaki Vulcan 500 ....... 2013 Honda NC700XD; 2017 Versys X300
UTC quote
Good thing the Dragon wasn''t busy the day you took the video. The speed you were riding the sport bikes would have been in the way slowing you down.

Great trip for a honeymoon. Congratulations.
OP
@catskill avatar
UTC

Addicted

Addicted
@catskill avatar
UTC quote
Fuzzy wrote:
Good thing the Dragon wasn''t busy the day you took the video. The speed you were riding the sport bikes would have been in the way slowing you down.

Great trip for a honeymoon. Congratulations.
Yeah...Less than 4 minutes, that's like record time right?

It was an awesome trip. It's funny how the mountain culture, people and views (although much more pretty) of the Tennesee Smokey Mountains reminded me of my home at the foot of the Catskill Mountains. Now I'm searching for the twistiest roads I can find in my area. I am definitely planning on spending our 1st Anniversary there.

I have over 1,000 pics I took and a few more videos from a few other roads....that are almost as twisty. It was funny how straight the roads were in Virginia but in Tennessee it was hard to find one that wasn't twisty!

I have massive respect and gratitude for the Tennessee DOT I don't think I have ever traveled anywhere where the roads have been maintained better.

Funny today I got home and got a copy of the latest American Scooterist magazine to see the page 10 pics of the scooter riders on the Tail of the Dragon.
UTC

Banned

Banned
UTC quote
Wooo hooo!

Ride 'em Catskill!
@georgiagirl avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
Piaggio MP3 500

Molto Verboso
@georgiagirl avatar
Piaggio MP3 500
UTC quote
Awesome! Glad you had a good trip, and all the happiness to you and your new spouse
@surfan avatar
UTC

Addicted
06 VG GT200/07 VR GTS

Addicted
@surfan avatar
06 VG GT200/07 VR GTS
UTC quote
Cool! 8) Congrats to the newlyweds!
A group of about 12 MV'ers rode The Dragon a couple of Summers ago, mostly MV's. Great ride, but I'd like to know where you were in Virginia. Because in SW VA, particularly Grayson County, I've found roads that rival the Dragon any day of the week! I'll also add that VA also does a great job of road maintenance, even the dirt roads are kept up really well.
@teacherquinn avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@teacherquinn avatar
UTC quote
The two of you are just too cute for words! Thank you for sharing your honeymoon with us!
OP
@catskill avatar
UTC

Addicted

Addicted
@catskill avatar
UTC quote
surfan wrote:
Cool! 8) Congrats to the newlyweds!
A group of about 12 MV'ers rode The Dragon a couple of Summers ago, mostly MV's. Great ride, but I'd like to know where you were in Virginia. Because in SW VA, particularly Grayson County, I've found roads that rival the Dragon any day of the week! I'll also add that VA also does a great job of road maintenance, even the dirt roads are kept up really well.
I was in between Christiansburg and Floyd in VA. I have to agree there were plenty of roads to almost rival the tail of the dragon. It was most fun riding them! I am a big blue grass music fan and of course if you are in the area you end up learning about the "Crooked Road". Before I knew what it was I was like "All the FREAKIN roads here are crooked!" LOL
@surfan avatar
UTC

Addicted
06 VG GT200/07 VR GTS

Addicted
@surfan avatar
06 VG GT200/07 VR GTS
UTC quote
Quote:
I was in between Christiansburg and Floyd in VA. I have to agree there were plenty of roads to almost rival the tail of the dragon. It was most fun riding them! I am a big blue grass music fan and of course if you are in the area you end up learning about the "Crooked Road". Before I knew what it was I was like "All the FREAKIN roads here are crooked!" LOL
We just came back from there and were in a small town of Independence for (Graysons county seat) for the 4th of July and we just happened to buy two Crooked Road shirts and went to a number of mountain music jams. Awesome! We actually have a contract on a house in Grayson County. Of course that was the easy part......now financing is a different story
@dutch avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
LXV 150 GTV 250

Ossessionato
@dutch avatar
LXV 150 GTV 250
UTC quote
We used to go to Gatlinburg every May on vacation with friends from Cincinnati, but haven't been back in over 10 years. I'm sure much has changed but the mountain views and trails would still be great.

If I ever go back I'd be sure to take my scooter. What a blast riding around the mountains !

Thanks for sharing.
UTC

The Host with the Toast

The Host with the Toast
UTC quote
Very cool
Looks like it was alot of fun.
⬆️    About 2 months elapsed    ⬇️
OP
@catskill avatar
UTC

Addicted

Addicted
@catskill avatar
UTC quote
FINALLY ORDERED THE PICTURES
It only took 4 months but I finally got around to ordering these pics...
James had only been riding for a month when he rode the Tail of the Dragon.
Both he and I can't wait to go back next July!
These are not from killboy they are from Zeefoto.com

UTC

Banned

Banned
UTC quote
Magnificent pictures!

That's a honeymoon you won't forget
@kdude avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
BV 400 (21) , BV 350 (16) SOLD :( , Sprint 150 2015(SOLD), Liberty S150 2018

Ossessionato
@kdude avatar
BV 400 (21) , BV 350 (16) SOLD :( , Sprint 150 2015(SOLD), Liberty S150 2018
UTC quote
What a way to celebrate your honey moon... amazing ....
@erich51 avatar
UTC

Banned
GTS 250ie - SHINY YELLOW

Banned
@erich51 avatar
GTS 250ie - SHINY YELLOW
UTC quote
All the photos were amazing, great honeymoon!
UTC

Hooked
2007 px200 1968 rally 180 1960 Li150 s2

Hooked
UTC quote
awesome awesome awesome. america and canada have some amazing scenery........id love to go to canada and watch the salmon swim upstream. its a species specific behaviour that has always amazed me
OP
@catskill avatar
UTC

Addicted

Addicted
@catskill avatar
UTC quote
austrALIEN wrote:
awesome awesome awesome. america and canada have some amazing scenery........id love to go to canada and watch the salmon swim upstream. its a species specific behaviour that has always amazed me
I saw that in Alaska when I was 13...at the time it didn't amaze me but you get older take a few biology classes and it blows your mind.

I'd love to go check out Australia one day, It may be a long, long time before I can ever get out of school and work long enough to do that.

I just watched that movie "The Holiday" the other night on TV and a light bulb went off in my head...

We MV'ers should start a home exchange program where scooter riders from other countries can exchange houses and scooters for an equal period of time...It seems like the hardest thing about traveling to ride scooters to far away places, is actually getting the scooters there...
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
UTC quote
if u do end up in australia make sure u go snorkeling on the great barrier reef....amazing! if there was somebody on this site that was in australia for a holiday and i was familiar with them id lend them one of my scooters
⬆️    About 3 months elapsed    ⬇️
@gopam avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
2017 BMW R Ninet Pure & 2007 GT200 & 2020 Vespa GTS SuperSport 300 HPE

Molto Verboso
@gopam avatar
2017 BMW R Ninet Pure & 2007 GT200 & 2020 Vespa GTS SuperSport 300 HPE
UTC quote
Catskill, I just stumbled across your thread....great post!! Love the video & pictures. What an incredible adventure and your honeymoon - RAD! After I watched your (sped-up) video I had to google and find out what the speed limit is. The Dragon site says 30mph. What do you think your average speed was? Over, under or at?
And your man only riding for a month then riding the Tail of the Dragon - wow awesome. Just from what I've read online I've been wondering how crazy it is. Especially if it is a crowded busy riding day. If it is a super difficult ride. Sounds like a blast. Thanks for the post. Gives me a trip to dream about with visuals. Best to you and your man & many years of bliss.
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0402s ][ Queries: 3 (0.0086s) ][ Debug on ][ 309 ][ Thing One ]