OP
UTC

Hooked
2004 GT 200 - "Geppetto", 2006 GT 200 - "Vladimir III"

Hooked
UTC quote
Hey all, we just became the owners of a 08 MP3 500. Good new, while it was running it seemed to run great...but only for a very short distance. Bad news, the bike won't maintain a charge, left me stranded twice. We purchased it used from a dealer in Texas with only 1900 miles. I purchased a new battery and while riding lost the battery charge. The bike is now at a Vespa dealer near where we live; it and has been there for a couple of weeks. They are thinking it could be a bad staitor (sp). At any rate they have been trying to get in touch with a mechanic at Piaggio...so far no luck. Anyone else experience a problem like this? Luckily, the dealer from Texas is standing behind their sale and will paying the repair bill. I want to be sure that the issue is resolved before I bring it home, I don't want to have to take it back in another few weeks after riding and determining that the issue is un-resolved. Any suggestions that I might be able to pass to to the mechanics at the Vespa dealer...they are a relatively small dealership and I'm no sure how many MP3s they might have worked on...plus, we might be able to get it back sooner knowing there is a lot of mechanical expertise on this site.

Thanks for any input!!
@jimc avatar
UTC

Moderaptor
The Hornet (GT200, aka Love Bug) and 'Dimples' - a GTS 300

Moderaptor
@jimc avatar
The Hornet (GT200, aka Love Bug) and 'Dimples' - a GTS 300
UTC quote
I have to say - if any bike mechanic can't definitely state whether it is a bad stator or a bad regulator then they should be fired on the spot. This is junior physics...

Parts supply might well be a problem at this time of year though - but regulators are not Piaggio specific, and stators can be re-wound. Lack of initiative or just plain ignorance say I.
@mjm50cal avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
Red MP3 500 RUBY DRAGON

Ossessionato
@mjm50cal avatar
Red MP3 500 RUBY DRAGON
UTC quote
Did it die when idling or did it die when on the throttle?
OP
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
UTC quote
Thanks for the replies...! I am a pretty mechanical myself, even as a female! But when it comes to electrical stuff, forget it. At any rate on the first trip, driving it around my long driveway, it died while running, I am sure the battery was quite low. I recharged the battery and the 2nd trip it was running until I shut it down,then it would not start. Only drove on the fully charged battery about 8ish miles. That is when I bought the new battery and again, it ran until I shut it off then would not re-start, again 8 miles or so. BTW, texas is also paying for the new battery. I feel very very lucky with this deal, at least they are covering all the parts and labor.

Again, very appreciative for any ideas...the mechanics may figure it out, I am just impatient! I don't think they would expect a "girl" to help them figure it out...they don't need to know I had fantastic help

cheers!
NVScoot'n
UTC

Banned

Banned
UTC quote
There is a hidden fuse that needs to be checked too. Have the mechanic open the access cover under seat and he needs to look to the right had side. There is a fuse holder in there withe 30 amp fuse. With out the fuse the charging system will not work.

Search "Hidden Fuse" and you should be able to come up with a better location description.

Wayne B
@ramblerdan avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
2009 MP3 400

Ossessionato
@ramblerdan avatar
2009 MP3 400
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0101s ][ Queries: 4 (0.0031s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]