Hooked
LX 150

Hooked
@pfooti avatar
LX 150
UTC quote
I'm not sure if you can quite tell from this picture:

Count Scootula - Black LX 150

But I've got a weird windscreen issue. Specifically, the windscreen is positioned so that the bottom edge of it just catches light leaking out of the headlamp. This light treats the whole windscreen like a fiber optic stoner lamp, making the entire screen (especially the top edges) glow relatively brightly.

On the one hand, I like the visibility. On the other hand, the brightness is enough to reduce my night vision, making it harder for me to concentrate on the road.

I'm not certain I've installed the screen correctly - it is, after all, a Faco and came with like one tiny piece of paper (and not even enough tools). The way it's situated, the windscreen is in front of the rods that hold it (so the rods are in the wind shadow in normal use). I think I could swap them around so the screen went behind, this would shift the screen back about 1.5" (that's about 3.8 cm for you europeans) (and canadians) (and most everybody but us and the brits), which would fix the headlight issue. It would look odd, though, and I'm pretty sure that's not how anyone else installs their screens.

When installing, I made sure the expansion bolts were thoroughly seated in the collars. I did ignore the directions on that point, as they suggested I use a "hummer" to install them. Both SUVs and Fellatio being right out, I opted for the more mundane hammer instead - a rubber mallet to be precise. Those things are seated well. Is there any other trick to the system that would get the screen to move back a bit?

My other option would be to install some black electrical tape along the top part of the headlight, or maybe buy an aftermarket cowling for it, as the light that's making my screen glow is coming from the top of the lamp, not the front. I'm hesitant to deface Count Scootula with mere electrical tape, and as I noted in the other thread, I've been told in no uncertain terms to Lay Off From Buying Shit For The Scooter by my wife.

Ideas? Options? I'm definitely going to have to ride at night from time to time, as I am teaching a night course this semester.
@dannyh avatar
UTC

Resident Gentleman
--------2008 LX150-------- Sold

Resident Gentleman
@dannyh avatar
UTC quote
Maybe one of these visors from Jettin Industries:

http://www.jettin.com/VisorLX.htm

External inline image provided by member with no explanatory text
@gregt avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
Piaggio BV500

Molto Verboso
@gregt avatar
Piaggio BV500
UTC quote
Is that particular screen made for the LX or is it for a GTS? It seems oddly large. I'm particularly looking at the unusual gap around the headlamp. I don't have a Faco windscreen on either of my scoots; they both have Vespa screens. I do know the LX and the GTS screens are different sizes and shapes. Your screen just looks kind of ill fitting in the picture.

Maybe a fellow Faco user can chime in.....
OP
@pfooti avatar
UTC

Hooked
LX 150

Hooked
@pfooti avatar
LX 150
UTC quote
It's definitely an LX windscreen, or at least that's what I ordered from scooterwest. I seem to remember seeing something about LX on the packaging for the screen.

The thing is, the entire screen can shift up and down a fair amount if I loosen the brackets, and can even move left-right if I loosen the compression bolts. So I could probably get it to fit more snugly to the headlamp.
UTC

Enthusiast
GTV, LX50, Italjet Formula, MANA 850

Enthusiast
GTV, LX50, Italjet Formula, MANA 850
UTC quote
Tape, paint
I would try some black tape around the edge of the screen near the light. If it works, I would just use a little black paint on the edge...
@chetwynder avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
Baart-less

Ossessionato
@chetwynder avatar
Baart-less
UTC quote
danny*h wrote:

I agree whole heartedly on the Jettin' visor. I will give you a much better light pattern at night as well as stop the light leaking through the plastic.

When I put my visor on my GTS the difference was quite remarkable - the light was actually focused on the road ahead!

Dave
@gregt avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
Piaggio BV500

Molto Verboso
@gregt avatar
Piaggio BV500
UTC quote
pfooti wrote:
It's definitely an LX windscreen, or at least that's what I ordered from scooterwest. I seem to remember seeing something about LX on the packaging for the screen.

The thing is, the entire screen can shift up and down a fair amount if I loosen the brackets, and can even move left-right if I loosen the compression bolts. So I could probably get it to fit more snugly to the headlamp.
I would try shifting it back until it sits right above/just behind the headlamp. It looks like it's pushed a bit too forward.
@copper_dolphin avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
LX150 Darling Plum; GTS 250 Dragon Red; Honda Big Ruckus Demented Bastard

Molto Verboso
@copper_dolphin avatar
UTC quote
This is a problem, or design option... you know the Un-documented kind of option. All the LX screens do this, no matter the manufacturer. Some come with a strip of rubber tubing along the bottom edge or all the way around them.
I like the Idea of painting the bottom edge. I think that is your quickest and cheapest route. The Headlight visor will solve the problem as well, and you get the added style as well (my suggestion as well) or better yet paint the bottom edge now and install the visor when it gets in. Jettin also has that visor in black.
OP
@pfooti avatar
UTC

Hooked
LX 150

Hooked
@pfooti avatar
LX 150
UTC quote
Re: Backlit windscreen question
Hmm, thanks for all the help. Unfortunately the Jettin' Industries cowling will have to wait, as I'm on purchasing hiatus. I'll try adjusting the location of the screen and maybe putting something temporary between it and the light for the time being, and then maybe in a month or so I can buy it.
@vespa_hartford avatar
UTC

Sponsor

Sponsor
@vespa_hartford avatar
UTC quote
Paint a 2 inch black strip on the bottom of the windscreen where the light cutout is and this will block the reflection.

If you want to test this out, place electrical tape on the windscreen first and see how much needs to be placed to block the glow. Then paint that portion of the windscreen to match the cool black color of the bike.

Easy and inexpensive solution.
@trafficjammer avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
2008 Teal LX125 ... 2007 Red LX150 ... 2010 Yellow LX125ie

Ossessionato
@trafficjammer avatar
2008 Teal LX125 ... 2007 Red LX150 ... 2010 Yellow LX125ie
UTC quote
If you only have to wait a month or two before you can buy the visor, just use electrical tape on the bottom of the windscreen. Good, temporary solution.
OP
@pfooti avatar
UTC

Hooked
LX 150

Hooked
@pfooti avatar
LX 150
UTC quote
Yeah, electrical tape sounds like the way to go for now. I just need to put some time in between purchases, in order to keep my wife from beaning me while I sleep. Razz emoticon
@copper_dolphin avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso

Molto Verboso
@copper_dolphin avatar
UTC quote
Do you have a permanent marker? The light is getting into the windscreen through the bottom edge of the screen, and not the front or back surfaces. So just take a marker and blacken the edge of the screen around the headlight. It will not be noticable by anyone, and should block the light from getting into the screen.
If you slide the screen up a bit more than what is in the picture, that should help a little but no matter how far up you slide it, light will still get in through the bottom edge, unless you block it with something.

I just cringe at the idea of using electrical tape, as it tends to leave the black sticky mess where ever it is used.
@scooter_bug avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
2007 LX 150 & 1969 Sprint Veloce

Molto Verboso
@scooter_bug avatar
2007 LX 150 & 1969 Sprint Veloce
UTC quote
You could buy some car door trim and apply it to the bottom or entire windshield edge. I know you're banned from scooter purchases but I think it would be cheap enough and subtle enough to get away with.
@dannyh avatar
UTC

Resident Gentleman

Resident Gentleman
@dannyh avatar
UTC quote
Re: Backlit windscreen question
pfooti wrote:
I'm on purchasing hiatus.
Scooter Bug wrote:
banned from scooter purchases
I just love you guys' terminology ROFL emoticon

But, I also understand Crying or Very sad emoticon
@burgman400 avatar
UTC

Hooked
2008 LX 150

Hooked
@burgman400 avatar
2008 LX 150
UTC quote
jettin visor
danny*h wrote:

External inline image provided by member with no explanatory text
No maybe about it. This will fix it 100%. Ive got one on my LX.
OP
@pfooti avatar
UTC

Hooked
LX 150

Hooked
@pfooti avatar
LX 150
UTC quote
So, on the way home I stopped at the hardware store and picked up a roll of black electrical tape. Works fine for now. I'll get the cowl eventually, I'm sure.
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0216s ][ Queries: 4 (0.0112s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]