OP
UTC

Vespa 300 Super

Vespa 300 Super
UTC quote
I ride my Super all over including interstates. Need a bit more passing power and was wondering what you all might suggest .... perhaps a different variator and set of rollers, or different exhaust or something else. Very happy with street and parkway performance but high speeds and headwinds on the interstate is sometimes challenging. Having said all of that, there is only so much you can get out of 300cc's, but being a new Vespa owner I am not familiar with the best and most cost effective mods. If you have any ideas, please share them. Thanks, all.
@scoot avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
Vespa 946

Molto Verboso
@scoot avatar
Vespa 946
UTC quote
This answer is two part; the first...

It's brand new. After a proper break in, it will feel like a whole new bike and get totally different gas mileage.

the second...

it's a scooter. I had a close call yesterday trying to pass someone on a highway and those of us who used to ride a motorcycle miss the ability to drop it two gears and gas it past 'em.

sorry i don't have a better answer, there seems to be great raves around the j costa variator and is supposed to give much more on take off. that being said, i'd wait out the break in period and see how she handles after.
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
UTC quote
You should talk to Matt at Scootertrap. He could tell you the pros and cons and what would work best for your needs.
http://www.scootertrap.com/

Here's the phone number: 407-896-0016

Retail Store Hours:
Tuesday - Thursday - 11am - 6pm
Friday - 11am - 5pm
Saturday - 10am - 2pm
Sunday - Monday - CLOSED
OP
UTC

Vespa 300 Super

Vespa 300 Super
UTC quote
Thanks Scoot....that's good advice. I am not yet through the break-in and I would not think that mods are good for a bike at this stage. It is also true that I don't know what the bike will do once broken in. I was assuming that performance would be only slightly different once broken in but you seem to think that it will make a big difference. I was prepared to wait in any event, just doing my research ahead of time. Thanks again.
UTC

Molto Verboso

Molto Verboso
UTC quote
Well, it had to happen I suppose... Laughing emoticon

Someone buys their first scooter and it happens to be the biggest, most powerful one
Vespa makes, and it's ~too slow~ for them! Crying or Very sad emoticon

MORE COW BELL! -I MEED MORE COW BELL!!! Clown emoticon

(I suspect there must be a disease called "more"...!)
@sdg avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
63 GS160 MK1 / GT60 / Sean Wotherspoon

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@sdg avatar
UTC quote
Chazzlee wrote:

Someone buys their first scooter and it happens to be the biggest, most powerful one

+1

If a 300 isn't getting it done for you from a power standpoint you need to purchase a motorcycle.

The 300 has mad power for it's intended purpose which you appear to be attempting to exceed.

Mechanical mods on a 300? Oh boy watch the fail threads.

Good luck,
SDG
@jess avatar
UTC

Petty Tyrant
0:7 And counting

Petty Tyrant
@jess avatar
UTC quote
The very best mod you can do to your 300 isn't really mechanical -- it's a Piaggio mid-size flyscreen. It'll make the top end a bit higher (some say as high as 5mph, though I'm not making that claim) and will definitely make freeway riding quite a bit more comfortable, although you'll probably need earplugs.

It's the first mod I do to all my bikes. I can't really stand to ride the freeway without it.

You can find it at Motorsport Scooters:

http://www.beta.scooterwest.com/items/?_pageCCS=t#page=/item_detail/GT-GTS-Piaggio-Mod-Style-Flyscreen/1696
@sdg avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@sdg avatar
UTC quote
jess wrote:
The very best mod you can do to your 300 isn't really mechanical -- it's a Piaggio mid-size flyscreen. It'll make the top end a bit higher (some say as high as 5mph, though I'm not making that claim) and will definitely make freeway riding quite a bit more comfortable, although you'll probably need earplugs.

It's the first mod I do to all my bikes. I can't really stand to ride the freeway without it.

You can find it at Motorsport Scooters:

http://www.beta.scooterwest.com/items/?_pageCCS=t#page=/item_detail/GT-GTS-Piaggio-Mod-Style-Flyscreen/1696
+1

Absolutely agree.

SDG
@benito avatar
UTC

2010 Dragon Red GTS 300 Super, 2018 Grigio Titanio Piaggio Liberty S 150

@benito avatar
2010 Dragon Red GTS 300 Super, 2018 Grigio Titanio Piaggio Liberty S 150
UTC quote
The other mod you can do to increase your acceleration would be losing weight. Razz emoticon
@bill_dog avatar
UTC

eeeee bip
BMW R1100RT The Problem Child Kymco Downtown 300 - I'm not the Uber Honda Cub - Scorched Earth Policy

eeeee bip
@bill_dog avatar
BMW R1100RT The Problem Child Kymco Downtown 300 - I'm not the Uber Honda Cub - Scorched Earth Policy
UTC quote
lust
Give it at least 3000 - 5000 miles and feel it loosen up then you'll get more grunt and it will rev free-er.

Bill X
@trowel_and_cuffs avatar
UTC

Addicted
2009 Vespa GTS Super duper pooper scooper

Addicted
@trowel_and_cuffs avatar
2009 Vespa GTS Super duper pooper scooper
UTC quote
Jess is absolutely correct the best mod is a midsize wind screen. I have a Prima windscreen on my wife's GT200 and we both love it. It hasn't hurt top end cruising in the least bit.
@voneschenbach avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
A fracking cage sadly

Ossessionato
@voneschenbach avatar
A fracking cage sadly
UTC quote
Thanks all! I do 99% of my riding on highways and city streets, but sometimes it I need to take it on the freeway for a few miles and was wondering whether the windscreen was worthwhile for this alone. It will also make touring on scenic highways easier!
UTC

GTS 300ie Super

GTS 300ie Super
UTC quote
SDG wrote:
Chazzlee wrote:

+1

If a 300 isn't getting it done for you from a power standpoint you need to purchase a motorcycle.

The 300 has mad power for it's intended purpose which you appear to be attempting to exceed.

Mechanical mods on a 300? Oh boy watch the fail threads.

Good luck,
SDG
I find this attitude particularly amusing. Not sure why you two aren't riding the smallest capacity, slowest scoots made ? If you're happy (or at your limits Razz emoticon ) at a given power/performance point I don't see why someone else couldn't want more ?

To the OP, I've been in contact with J.Costa and they are developing a specific 300 Super variator, they acknowledge that perhaps past fitments to the 300 might not have been a great success as they really were engineered for the characteristics of the 250.

I have the small flyscreen and it makes a little bit of a difference at med-higher speeds. Removing and replacing the mirrors probably accounted for 25% of the minimal improvement.

Those of us that came from motorcycles might actually want a little more performance from our nasty Grizzly Bear 300's
@jess avatar
UTC

Petty Tyrant

Petty Tyrant
@jess avatar
UTC quote
User Name wrote:
To the OP, I've been in contact with J.Costa and they are developing a specific 300 Super variator, they acknowledge that perhaps past fitments to the 300 might not have been a great success as they really were engineered for the characteristics of the 250.
Not only is the current J Costa a bit out of place on the 300, but the current J Costa design for the 250 wears in such a way that it allows the drive belt to eat the engine case, and eventually rips out the oil pan gasket. I don't recommend that any GTS 250 or 300 Super owner install a J Costa variator at this time.
UTC

The Host with the Toast

The Host with the Toast
UTC quote
I agree the midsize windscreen would be the best bang for you buck.
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0187s ][ Queries: 3 (0.0079s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]