@noth avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
Burgman 650 (May, 2012) MP3 500 (11/2009 - 5.2012)

Molto Verboso
@noth avatar
UTC quote
Thats good.. See if they will pay you something for loss of use.. THey would have to pay for a rental car if you had been in a car after all.. Don't think you could find another scoot to rent..
@jimc avatar
UTC

Moderaptor
The Hornet (GT200, aka Love Bug) and 'Dimples' - a GTS 300

Moderaptor
@jimc avatar
UTC quote
A properly insured person here would get a loan scoot. That costs about GBP25 per day to the ins.co. - so concentrates their minds.
OP
@oldspice avatar
UTC

Hooked
'12 BMW R1200RT

Hooked
@oldspice avatar
'12 BMW R1200RT
UTC quote
I am going nuts waiting for the 500 to get out of the shop. The insurance company of the person at fault in the accident hasn't even contacted the shop yet. The shop is waiting for the go ahead to order parts. Argg! I just want to ride! Even though I've got the 500 listed for sale, I still miss it. Doesn't help that the weather since the accident has been PERFECT for riding. Ok, rant over.
@jimc avatar
UTC

Moderaptor

Moderaptor
@jimc avatar
UTC quote
Surely *your* insurance company should be getting this sorted, and recovering their costs from the other party? Your contract is with your ins. co. not the third party's.
OP
@oldspice avatar
UTC

Hooked
'12 BMW R1200RT

Hooked
@oldspice avatar
'12 BMW R1200RT
UTC quote
Nope. Since I was not at fault, my insurance is not involved at all. The person at fault, and their insurance company, is taking care of everyone. Since there was four vehicles involved, it's taking forever.
@alba avatar
UTC

Hooked
MP3 500, Kawasaki Versys, KLX250S, Buddy 150 Pamplona

Hooked
@alba avatar
MP3 500, Kawasaki Versys, KLX250S, Buddy 150 Pamplona
UTC quote
When I was involved in a car accident a while back (not my fault, a U-Haul truck hit a carport and the whole thing fell on my car ), my insurance company paid for my repairs (minus deductible) and they handled chasing up the insurance of the at fault driver. When they finally paid up I was refunded my deductible.

Some words of encouragement for you, I have just had my scoot repaired after I dropped it (my fault this time ). From ordering the parts to delivery was only just over a week which really surprised me, especially just after the August break.
OP
@oldspice avatar
UTC

Hooked
'12 BMW R1200RT

Hooked
@oldspice avatar
'12 BMW R1200RT
UTC quote
alba wrote:
When I was involved in a car accident a while back (not my fault, a U-Haul truck hit a carport and the whole thing fell on my car ), my insurance company paid for my repairs (minus deductible) and they handled chasing up the insurance of the at fault driver. When they finally paid up I was refunded my deductible.

Some words of encouragement for you, I have just had my scoot repaired after I dropped it (my fault this time ). From ordering the parts to delivery was only just over a week which really surprised me, especially just after the August break.
Good to know, on both points.

The shop mentioned that full repairs, including ordering/receiving parts would run about a week, which is good. I'm glad to hear your experience was in line with this estimate. Hopefully, the wait won't be too unbearable!
@mjm50cal avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
Red MP3 500 RUBY DRAGON

Ossessionato
@mjm50cal avatar
Red MP3 500 RUBY DRAGON
UTC quote
On this side, insurance varies from state to state. The laws can be significantly different.
OP
@oldspice avatar
UTC

Hooked
'12 BMW R1200RT

Hooked
@oldspice avatar
'12 BMW R1200RT
UTC quote
Quick update - just got a call from the other person's insurance and they've approved the repair estimate! I'm having the shop send me the estimate as well - just curious to see all the new bits I'm going to be getting (actually hear the fax machine ringing right now!). The shop is going to start ordering parts tomorrow morning, so, with a bit of luck, I may be riding again by next weekend!

Of course, this is all dependent on the claim being settled and last I heard from the adjuster, he still hadn't contacted one of the other people that was in the accident. WTF? It's been two weeks already! Grrrrr......
UTC

Banned

Banned
UTC quote
Check and see if you can collect "Diminished Valve" in your state from the insurance company. Anytime a vehicle is in an accident, even if the repair is perfect the value is diminished. Ask the dealer to give you an ACV (Actual Cash Value) before and after the accident. The insurance company will pay you the difference. I know Md. & Va. have this law.

Wayne B
⚠️ Last edited by Wayne B on UTC; edited 1 time
@jacq avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
Willow Rouge: Excaliber Silver MP3 250 VIN 3288

Molto Verboso
@jacq avatar
Willow Rouge: Excaliber Silver MP3 250 VIN 3288
UTC quote
Get thee to a good chiropractor post haste....you may think so, but you are hurt and you body is out of line....don't go now and later you will be serious trouble.....Please just do it....

BTW...I have insurance with Dairyland...one feature...is a replacement pay off that good for the next 3 years....
Just a thought for you guys..
cheers...jacquie
UTC

Banned

Banned
UTC quote
Go to a REAL doctor before you ever go to a chiropractor. I could have been paralyzed if I had kept going to the chiropractor and had not seen a surgeon.

Wayne B
@bravotwofour avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
'09 Mp3-500 - Gone Now

Ossessionato
@bravotwofour avatar
'09 Mp3-500 - Gone Now
UTC quote
Wayne B wrote:
Go to a REAL doctor before you ever go to a chiropractor. I could have been paralyzed if I had kept going to the chiropractor and had not seen a surgeon.

Wayne B
+1 Wayne, there is no empirical evidence to support chiropractic as real medicine. To each his own but getting xrays and a full checkout by an orthopedic can be extra peace of mind and insurance against future issues. As a fella that broke his back in a fall 20 years ago I can tell you plenty about back docs and pain... suggest you don't delay, oldspice.
@noth avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso

Molto Verboso
@noth avatar
UTC quote
"Go to a REAL doctor before you ever go to a chiropractor. I could have been paralyzed if I had kept going to the chiropractor and had not seen a surgeon."

Agree 100%.. but if no issues now.. you're probably OK..
RE: Diminished value.. if the scoot is repaired, in theory, it's as good as it ever was.. If not repaired correctly you have an issue with the repair shop.. Diminished value might apply if you didn't have repairs made... Everyone's an expert.. just do what feels right to you..
@jimc avatar
UTC

Moderaptor

Moderaptor
@jimc avatar
UTC quote
Not making any particular point - but manipulative therapists of whatever persuasion have always done far more for my back than any 'orthodox' doctor. Luckily not many here are blinkered or would claim to be 'orthodox'.

And riding a bike has (amazingly, to be honest) been the best therapy I've had in forty years.
OP
@oldspice avatar
UTC

Hooked
'12 BMW R1200RT

Hooked
@oldspice avatar
'12 BMW R1200RT
UTC quote
I went to the ER the night of the accident and then went to my regular doctor a few days later for a check up. All's well. I most likely will go to physical therapy a few times, but at this point, it would seem there are no long-term or permanent issues.

Right now, I just want the bike fixed and my medical bills paid for.
@onlinemike avatar
UTC

Enthusiast
2018 Vespa GTS 300 Super Sport

Enthusiast
@onlinemike avatar
2018 Vespa GTS 300 Super Sport
UTC quote
So sorry to hear about your mishap! Getting slammed on a bike of any type sucks. Good luck and I hope you get back on a scoot soon.
UTC

Banned

Banned
UTC quote
jimc wrote:
Not making any particular point - but manipulative therapists of whatever persuasion have always done far more for my back than any 'orthodox' doctor. Luckily not many here are blinkered or would claim to be 'orthodox'.

And riding a bike has (amazingly, to be honest) been the best therapy I've had in forty years.
You can still see a real doctor, go to an Osteopath.
http://thyroid.about.com/od/findlearnfromdoctors/a/osteopath.htm

Manipulative Medicine

A key part of osteopathic medicine is a technique called OMT, or osteopathic manipulative treatment. OMT allows physicians to use their hands as a primary tool to diagnose and treat illness and injury. This form of manual medicine lets DOs examine the back and other parts of the body, such as joints, tendons, ligaments, and muscles, for pain and restriction during motion that could signal an injury or impaired function.

Although they sometimes focus on the back, these physicians are not chiropractors. OMT is a treatment very specific to how and where humans injure themselves and how that injury can manifest itself as symptoms.

Wayne B
OP
@oldspice avatar
UTC

Hooked
'12 BMW R1200RT

Hooked
@oldspice avatar
'12 BMW R1200RT
UTC quote
Good news! After absolutely minimal response from the other person's insurance company, I finally got my insurance company to file a claim to at least get the scoot approved for repair. I'm not kidding, not 5 minutes after my claim was in the system, I got a call from the offending insurance company and the repair was "magically" approved by them. A check will be sent for the full repairs to the shop tomorrow. Three weeks to the day since the accident happened. So, with any luck, I'll have the 500 back in the stable by next weekend!
@bravotwofour avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
'09 Mp3-500 - Gone Now

Ossessionato
@bravotwofour avatar
'09 Mp3-500 - Gone Now
UTC quote
oldspice wrote:
Good news! After absolutely minimal response from the other person's insurance company, I finally got my insurance company to file a claim to at least get the scoot approved for repair. I'm not kidding, not 5 minutes after my claim was in the system, I got a call from the offending insurance company and the repair was "magically" approved by them. A check will be sent for the full repairs to the shop tomorrow. Three weeks to the day since the accident happened. So, with any luck, I'll have the 500 back in the stable by next weekend!
Three weeks is actually pretty damned good in my experience. Congrats on that!
@fuzzy avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
. . 2008 Blue MP3 400. . di Peluria Orso .... 1993 Kawasaki Vulcan 500 ....... 2013 Honda NC700XD; 2017 Versys X300

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@fuzzy avatar
. . 2008 Blue MP3 400. . di Peluria Orso .... 1993 Kawasaki Vulcan 500 ....... 2013 Honda NC700XD; 2017 Versys X300
UTC quote
BravoTwoFour wrote:
oldspice wrote:
Three weeks is actually pretty damned good in my experience. Congrats on that!
A few years ago my truck was rear ended at an intersection. Minor cosmetic damage with a steel bumper but massive damage to the Pontic that hit me. When I got home that evening I had a message on my phone from her insurance company wanting to know the extent of my damage and or injuries and to arrange repairs. Left a message back that evening, a Friday and got a call back first thing Monday morning. Arranged a visit with a shop Monday afternoon and had the work done with a rental car supplied on Tuesday. Her company was Alstate and they treated me right.

Wish cars sill had steel bumpers as bumps cause them no damage. She needed a hood, front bumper, both front quarter panels front grill and radiator. I had a scratched bumper and the plastic bracket holding the wiring for a trailer broken off. As a youngster we learned to parallel park by feel.
OP
@oldspice avatar
UTC

Hooked
'12 BMW R1200RT

Hooked
@oldspice avatar
'12 BMW R1200RT
UTC quote
Wow, what a month. Got word from the shop that the parts are in and I should have the 500 back by week's end. Finally!

During the wait, I was able to negotiate a great price on a new Mana. Piaggio is still running the 0 down, 0 payments, and 0% interest for 6 months deal, so I jumped on it.

I've got to drive the 500 a couple hundred miles to do the trade, but that just means I'll have a 200 mile trip home to look forward to on the new bike! Most likely will happen the weekend after this one. I'm pumped!
@old_as_dirt avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
2007 GTS

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@old_as_dirt avatar
2007 GTS
UTC quote
oldspice wrote:
Wow, what a month. Got word from the shop that the parts are in and I should have the 500 back by week's end. Finally!

During the wait, I was able to negotiate a great price on a new Mana. Piaggio is still running the 0 down, 0 payments, and 0% interest for 6 months deal, so I jumped on it.

I've got to drive the 500 a couple hundred miles to do the trade, but that just means I'll have a 200 mile trip home to look forward to on the new bike! Most likely will happen the weekend after this one. I'm pumped!
congrats on the new ride. keep us up to date on it as there are alot of people here looking at them also me for 1.
OP
@oldspice avatar
UTC

Hooked
'12 BMW R1200RT

Hooked
@oldspice avatar
'12 BMW R1200RT
UTC quote
Wow, the saga continues....

Just heard back from the shop and, as they were buttoning up the 500, they noticed some additional stuff that needed replacing. So, now, the insurance adjuster needs to authorize the additional repair and the shop needs to order more parts. The shop's saying, assuming all the authorizations are approved, maybe next week it'll be done. Jesus H. Christ. Oh well, at least it's been pissing rain here for the last week and now they're talking snow, so I guess I'm not missing anything. But still, very aggravating.
@marlor avatar
UTC

Hooked
MP3 250 Silver

Hooked
@marlor avatar
MP3 250 Silver
UTC quote
oldspice wrote:
But still, very aggravating.
I know how you feel. I've been waiting four months for repairs due to a minor incident (someone reversed into the scooter)... parts are perpetually "on order, waiting to come from Italy".

The insurance companies authorised everything quickly, it's just that the repairs have been taking forever.
OP
@oldspice avatar
UTC

Hooked
'12 BMW R1200RT

Hooked
@oldspice avatar
'12 BMW R1200RT
UTC quote
Marlor wrote:
oldspice wrote:
But still, very aggravating.
I know how you feel. I've been waiting four months for repairs due to a minor incident (someone reversed into the scooter)... parts are perpetually "on order, waiting to come from Italy".

The insurance companies authorised everything quickly, it's just that the repairs have been taking forever.
I'll be glad when it's all over, I can tell you that. The last batch of parts just came in today, but when I called the shop, I found out that they're no longer a Piaggio dealer and had to order the parts through another shop some 30 miles away. So, rather than wait around for the two shops to sync schedules, I just ran over and grabbed the parts and hand-delivered them to the shop that's doing the repairs. The 500 should be ready tomorrow afternoon - fingers crossed!
@marlor avatar
UTC

Hooked
MP3 250 Silver

Hooked
@marlor avatar
MP3 250 Silver
UTC quote
oldspice wrote:
I'll be glad when it's all over, I can tell you that. The last batch of parts just came in today, but when I called the shop, I found out that they're no longer a Piaggio dealer and had to order the parts through another shop some 30 miles away. So, rather than wait around for the two shops to sync schedules, I just ran over and grabbed the parts and hand-delivered them to the shop that's doing the repairs. The 500 should be ready tomorrow afternoon - fingers crossed!
I've been micromanaging the repairs of my scooter lately... it's the only way to make sure things get done properly. I'm sure the repairer, scooter shop and importers are thoroughly sick of me by now, but it's been an epic ordeal, and I just want it to be resolved.

It's good to see that your situation was finally resolved... even if you did end up moving to a Mana.
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0549s ][ Queries: 3 (0.0412s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]