OP
UTC

The Host with the Toast
Joined: UTC
Posts: 7199
Location: SoCal
 
The Host with the Toast
Joined: UTC
Posts: 7199
Location: SoCal
UTC quote
If you have a side car on a GTS 250 or 300 can you please post some pictues and let me know if your happy with it.
@alexbv200 avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
2015 Sprint 150 ABS Yellow. 1974 Vespa Rally 200 White, non battery model.
Joined: UTC
Posts: 2304
Location: Austin, Tx
 
Ossessionato
@alexbv200 avatar
2015 Sprint 150 ABS Yellow. 1974 Vespa Rally 200 White, non battery model.
Joined: UTC
Posts: 2304
Location: Austin, Tx
UTC quote
Re: Sidecar
175mws wrote:
If you have a side car on a GTS 250 or 300 can you please post some pictues and let me know if your happy with it.
I had one done for a client through this company.
It was their first Vespa to work on and they were sooo eager to do it!!

Turned out great:

http://www.texassidecars.com/vespa.htm
OP
UTC

The Host with the Toast
Joined: UTC
Posts: 7199
Location: SoCal
 
The Host with the Toast
Joined: UTC
Posts: 7199
Location: SoCal
UTC quote
Thanks
@alexbv200 avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
2015 Sprint 150 ABS Yellow. 1974 Vespa Rally 200 White, non battery model.
Joined: UTC
Posts: 2304
Location: Austin, Tx
 
Ossessionato
@alexbv200 avatar
2015 Sprint 150 ABS Yellow. 1974 Vespa Rally 200 White, non battery model.
Joined: UTC
Posts: 2304
Location: Austin, Tx
UTC quote
175mws wrote:
Thanks
Most welcome!!
@servicejeff avatar
UTC

Hooked
2007 GT200 1962 VBB Cushman
Joined: UTC
Posts: 187
Location: st. louis
 
Hooked
@servicejeff avatar
2007 GT200 1962 VBB Cushman
Joined: UTC
Posts: 187
Location: st. louis
UTC quote
www.vepsastl.com I had a blast riding this one!
@dooglas avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
GTS 300ABS, Buddy 125, Buddy Kick 125
Joined: UTC
Posts: 13377
Location: Oregon City, OR
 
Veni, Vidi, Posti
@dooglas avatar
GTS 300ABS, Buddy 125, Buddy Kick 125
Joined: UTC
Posts: 13377
Location: Oregon City, OR
UTC quote
ServiceJeff wrote:
www.vepsastl.com I had a blast riding this one!
Works best as www.vespastl.com
@judy avatar
UTC

World Traveler
2007 LX150 Daring Plum Leonardo Da Vespa
Joined: UTC
Posts: 29304
 
World Traveler
@judy avatar
2007 LX150 Daring Plum Leonardo Da Vespa
Joined: UTC
Posts: 29304
UTC quote
Curt Fargo had one. Don't remember which scooter he had it on. There should be some pics on here somewhere.He doesn't post much anymore. Might find a pic if you do a search.
OP
UTC

The Host with the Toast
Joined: UTC
Posts: 7199
Location: SoCal
 
The Host with the Toast
Joined: UTC
Posts: 7199
Location: SoCal
UTC quote
Thanks my friend was asking me how he could ride his two kids with if got a scooter.
@tor2ga avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
Looking for the next one, probably electric
Joined: UTC
Posts: 3642
Location: Babcock Ranch, Florida
 
Ossessionato
@tor2ga avatar
Looking for the next one, probably electric
Joined: UTC
Posts: 3642
Location: Babcock Ranch, Florida
UTC quote
Now riding a P200 with a sidecar I would have two questions:

1) How much cutting, welding, and drilling is necessary to mount the car? How much plastic do you have to cut?

2) How does pulling the (considerable) extra load affect the CVT? It takes a fair amount of slipping the clutch to get that thing started with a passenger in the car. That's OK with a real clutch and gears, but I don't know enough about the CVT to know whether it will do the job or burn up (I also ride a LX150 regularly).

I kind of feel that the new T&G bikes may be less suited to a car.
@tomjasz avatar
UTC

Grievance Farmer
Joined: UTC
Posts: 15921
 
Grievance Farmer
@tomjasz avatar
Joined: UTC
Posts: 15921
UTC quote
judy wrote:
Curt Fargo had one. Don't remember which scooter he had it on. There should be some pics on here somewhere.He doesn't post much anymore. Might find a pic if you do a search.
On a Burgman...
@judy avatar
UTC

World Traveler
2007 LX150 Daring Plum Leonardo Da Vespa
Joined: UTC
Posts: 29304
 
World Traveler
@judy avatar
2007 LX150 Daring Plum Leonardo Da Vespa
Joined: UTC
Posts: 29304
UTC quote
Thanks LOUIS i didn't think it was his vespa's.
@alexbv200 avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
2015 Sprint 150 ABS Yellow. 1974 Vespa Rally 200 White, non battery model.
Joined: UTC
Posts: 2304
Location: Austin, Tx
 
Ossessionato
@alexbv200 avatar
2015 Sprint 150 ABS Yellow. 1974 Vespa Rally 200 White, non battery model.
Joined: UTC
Posts: 2304
Location: Austin, Tx
UTC quote
Tor2ga wrote:
Now riding a P200 with a sidecar I would have two questions:

1) How much cutting, welding, and drilling is necessary to mount the car? How much plastic do you have to cut?

2) How does pulling the (considerable) extra load affect the CVT? It takes a fair amount of slipping the clutch to get that thing started with a passenger in the car. That's OK with a real clutch and gears, but I don't know enough about the CVT to know whether it will do the job or burn up (I also ride a LX150 regularly).

I kind of feel that the new T&G bikes may be less suited to a car.
That's why side cars are not recommended for anything less than a 250cc T&G...
@tomjasz avatar
UTC

Grievance Farmer
Joined: UTC
Posts: 15921
 
Grievance Farmer
@tomjasz avatar
Joined: UTC
Posts: 15921
UTC quote
Their website doesn't have good pictures. I emailed and got higher res pictures...I downsized to fit here...
@tor2ga avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
Looking for the next one, probably electric
Joined: UTC
Posts: 3642
Location: Babcock Ranch, Florida
 
Ossessionato
@tor2ga avatar
Looking for the next one, probably electric
Joined: UTC
Posts: 3642
Location: Babcock Ranch, Florida
UTC quote
I gotta say, I really like that! I'd do that in a heartbeat.
@orange_s150 avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
S 190. Custom VNB 150
Joined: UTC
Posts: 1485
Location: CT
 
Molto Verboso
@orange_s150 avatar
S 190. Custom VNB 150
Joined: UTC
Posts: 1485
Location: CT
UTC quote
pretty snazzy... 8)
UTC

Molto Verboso
Joined: UTC
Posts: 1619
 
Molto Verboso
Joined: UTC
Posts: 1619
UTC quote
I wonder what they have to do to the GT/GTS to make it handle okay with all that addl weight alongside?
Most motorcycle sidecar rigs have special adjustments made to the steering (a damper) and also to the frame and front suspension, sometimes even converting to a "leading link" type of hookup just so it can be driven adequately!
But even so, the handling on a sidecar rig is TOTALLY different! Left turns require lifting the car sometimes with a countersteer maneuver, and a right turn requires a bit of muscle at the handlebars to correct oversteer as it usually turns in sharply! Also the rig generally wants to turn alla time of it's own accord, and so requires extra muscle on the bars to keep it just going straight...
And I would think having smaller wheels on a sidecar rig would make it even more tricky to handle? Even more prone to slip into unwanted turns and slides?
I dunno; -anyone with experience driving one? (And yes, I think "driving" is the operative word here...) Laughing emoticon
@tor2ga avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
Looking for the next one, probably electric
Joined: UTC
Posts: 3642
Location: Babcock Ranch, Florida
 
Ossessionato
@tor2ga avatar
Looking for the next one, probably electric
Joined: UTC
Posts: 3642
Location: Babcock Ranch, Florida
UTC quote
Chazzlee wrote:
I wonder what they have to do to the GT/GTS to make it handle okay with all that addl weight alongside?
Most motorcycle sidecar rigs have special adjustments made to the steering (a damper) and also to the frame and front suspension, sometimes even converting to a "leading link" type of hookup just so it can be driven adequately!
But even so, the handling on a sidecar rig is TOTALLY different! Left turns require lifting the car sometimes with a countersteer maneuver, and a right turn requires a bit of muscle at the handlebars to correct oversteer as it usually turns in sharply! Also the rig generally wants to turn alla time of it's own accord, and so requires extra muscle on the bars to keep it just going straight...
And I would think having smaller wheels on a sidecar rig would make it even more tricky to handle? Even more prone to slip into unwanted turns and slides?
I dunno; -anyone with experience driving one? (And yes, I think "driving" is the operative word here...) Laughing emoticon
If you are referring to the USA where the car is to the right you have your physics backward. A right turn tends to lift the sidecar. Go too fast with no weight in the car and you roll over to the left, I have a bag of fishing weights I drop in when I don't have a passenger. Left turns are easy, the car is like a training wheel holding you up. The left turn requires some more muscle. When you accelerate the car tends to retard your motion and turn you to the right. When you brake the car tends to keep going and turn you to the left.

There are a couple of good books about this. The physics are not intuitive.
@judy avatar
UTC

World Traveler
2007 LX150 Daring Plum Leonardo Da Vespa
Joined: UTC
Posts: 29304
 
World Traveler
@judy avatar
2007 LX150 Daring Plum Leonardo Da Vespa
Joined: UTC
Posts: 29304
UTC quote
from what curt said it handles way different. Very unstable in certain conditions. I wish he was on here since he'd be the perfect person to answer all your questions.
@bjoerntheh avatar
UTC

Member
GTS 250 i.e. x 2
Joined: UTC
Posts: 41
Location: Chile
 
Member
@bjoerntheh avatar
GTS 250 i.e. x 2
Joined: UTC
Posts: 41
Location: Chile
UTC quote
Hello
louisq wrote:
Their website doesn't have good pictures. I emailed and got higher res pictures...I downsized to fit here...
I would love to mount a sidecar on my GTS 250. Is it very difficult to make one on your own? How much are this sidecars from Texassidecars?
this one looks much better then the COZY Sidecars I have seen until now.
good thing is that they are cheap enough for a first try with no help here.รง
Would be the first Vespa with Sidecar in Chile I guess.
Well, would be great to have some more information about this one.
this is the cosy sidecar, doesnt look to bad
this is the cosy sidecar, doesnt look to bad
@scooterdoodler avatar
UTC

Banned
Joined: UTC
Posts: 2778
Location: Rapid City, SD
 
Banned
@scooterdoodler avatar
Joined: UTC
Posts: 2778
Location: Rapid City, SD
UTC quote
Chazzlee wrote:
I wonder what they have to do to the GT/GTS to make it handle okay with all that addl weight alongside?
Most motorcycle sidecar rigs have special adjustments made to the steering (a damper) and also to the frame and front suspension, sometimes even converting to a "leading link" type of hookup just so it can be driven adequately!
But even so, the handling on a sidecar rig is TOTALLY different! Left turns require lifting the car sometimes with a countersteer maneuver, and a right turn requires a bit of muscle at the handlebars to correct oversteer as it usually turns in sharply! Also the rig generally wants to turn alla time of it's own accord, and so requires extra muscle on the bars to keep it just going straight...
And I would think having smaller wheels on a sidecar rig would make it even more tricky to handle? Even more prone to slip into unwanted turns and slides?
I dunno; -anyone with experience driving one? (And yes, I think "driving" is the operative word here...) Laughing emoticon
I have no experience with a scooter/sidecar combination, but have perhaps five thousand miles of motorcycle/sidecar 'driving', though it was many years ago.

As you might suspect, It's a whole new 'ballgame' from riding a two-wheeler, essentially the addition of a sidecar makes it an entirely different vehicle.

What Tor2ga said about the behavior of the rig is right, and I will add that under acceleration, the (right sided) rig tends to pull right from the off-centered drag of the car, and when braking, the the inertia of the car tends to push the rig left. All this is compensated for at the handlebars and must be anticipated.

As mentioned before, right turns could be quite disconcerting with an empty car and although I would often ride mine without any additional car ballast, a freeway cloverleaf could make you pucker, though a left turn was a relative piece of cake, empty or not.

Another thing to keep in mind is to NOT forget that there is a sidecar hanging off the right side of the bike....meaning that you must ride with the bike in the left tire lane of a road or risk an unscheduled sidecar de-installation with the help of a parked car by the curbside. Sounds like a no-brainer, but it has happened.

Riding a sidecar rig in a stiff crosswind is great for building up your arm muscles.
@attila avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
In garage: Yamaha Tricity 155 Urban 2019 - MV Agusta 125 RS 1956
Joined: UTC
Posts: 8291
Location: Latina (Italy)
 
Veni, Vidi, Posti
@attila avatar
In garage: Yamaha Tricity 155 Urban 2019 - MV Agusta 125 RS 1956
Joined: UTC
Posts: 8291
Location: Latina (Italy)
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee
 

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com


All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.


[ Time: 0.0169s ][ Queries: 4 (0.0050s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]