OP
@robardin avatar
UTC

Hooked
Black '06 Piaggio BV500; Black '05 Vespa GT200 (sold)

Hooked
@robardin avatar
UTC quote
I made a vow to ride my GT200 to work through the winter any day the streets were clear of snow/ice.

My commute is about a half hour long, through moderately fast city traffic for 11 miles.

Yesterday I was sorely tested, O my brothers and sisters. It was 20F degrees (without factoring "wind chill"), and I was well warm in my jacket with liner, fleece neck warmer, thermal underwear, and a "scooter skirt" covering my legs... except for my fingers. Even with two layers on them, a liner under heavy winter riding gloves, within 10 minutes the tips of my fingers were quite numb. Which is not a good thing for doing things like operating brake levers and turn signals, and distracting from watching road conditions.

Today it was even colder... 15 degrees on the mercury. I forswore myself and took the train.

I'd been riding fairly comfortably (with only "cold" fingers, not "numb and tingly" fingers that need a half hour to thaw the feeling back into them) earlier this winter, when it was a relatively toasty 35-40 degrees. What's the word for keeping fingers warm in freezing or sub-freezing conditions?

"Hippo hands" style handlebar muffs? (They look so bulky and, well, ugly, but if they work...)

How about electric gloves? Heated grips?

Are there electric/heated gloves that don't require tapping into the bike's battery? You would think there are literally battery powered (i.e., with an alkaline 9V battery) heated gloves out there that include finger warming, but I have not found them.

How hard is it to get heated grips installed on a GT200? What models are compatible? Has anyone done it to good effect?
@christine avatar
UTC

Addicted
Vespa GT200

Addicted
@christine avatar
Vespa GT200
UTC quote
My intention was to do the same as you - not worry too much about the cold, just the road conditions. My commute is a bit longer than yours, but under similar (fast city roads) conditions. Unfortunately (maybe fortunately ) Toronto got snow early this year and it has stayed quite cold. the streets are still a mess.

Try hunting supply stores for battery-powered stuff. I've never tried it myself, but the logic is there. Hunters need warm fingers, too.

Someone has hooked up heated grips. I'm considering that myself, but I'm in a wait and see mode. My scooter is so new I don't want to do anything I'll regret (like mess it up or void that extended warranty).
OP
@robardin avatar
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
@robardin avatar
UTC quote
Christine wrote:
Try hunting supply stores for battery-powered stuff. I've never tried it myself, but the logic is there. Hunters need warm fingers, too.
Hmmm. I don't think there are any hunting supply stores in NYC. The only game that is hunted around here is the most dangerous one of all... Man.
@tfauch avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso

Molto Verboso
@tfauch avatar
OP
@robardin avatar
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
@robardin avatar
UTC quote
Thanks for the links so far.

Here's a page I found from tests conducted by the Good Housekeeping Institute:

http://magazines.ivillage.com/goodhousekeeping/print/0,,609187,00.html

that specfically measuring readings in the fingertips.

The "Grabber Mini-Mini" disposable hand warmers sound interesting. At about $1.70 a pair a use, it'll rack up pretty quickly in the winter though (figure about $2 a pair including tax and/or shipping costs, that's $4 a day for a round trip commute).

On the other hand (ha!), they were pretty negative on the "heated gloves" from Nordic Gear and Harriet Carter.
@xman avatar
UTC

Addicted
gt200

Addicted
@xman avatar
gt200
UTC quote
robardin wrote:
Hmmm. I don't think there are any hunting supply stores in NYC. The only game that is hunted around here is the most dangerous one of all... Man.
Hey Rodin (shout out from you neighbor),

I too was out yesterday trying out my scooter skirt and windscreen...more on that later, but I feel your pain. I found my hands got really cold as well, so I will let you know what I found. Here's what I'm thinking right now though. 1) Down gloves 2) battery/plugin heated gloves 3) heated grips(only prob, is these don't cover the top of your hands).

X
@tfauch avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso

Molto Verboso
@tfauch avatar
UTC quote
The "Grabber Mini-Mini"
I've used the "Grabber" hand warmers. I put them in my gloves 1/2 before I leave for work and they are still warm for the ride home. This was riding in Massachusetts in late November though. Also if you buy them in bulk it's a little cheaper or you could always get rechargeable batteries for the gloves.

Tim
@solid_steel avatar
UTC

Addicted
Vespa GT & Vespa LX

Addicted
@solid_steel avatar
Vespa GT & Vespa LX
UTC quote
I swear by handlebar muffs, but I know you can get hand warmers that you boil (I think) to recharge with heat & when youcrunch/snap them they let the heat out.. should work well for a 1/2 hour ride..

Also, yes, you can get battery operated heated gloves etc but most people wire into the bike's battery so you always have enough power for them to work...
@spock avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
2002 ET4 & 1980 100 Sport

Ossessionato
@spock avatar
2002 ET4 & 1980 100 Sport
UTC quote
Black Diamond gloves w/windstopper fleece. Not motorcycle gloves, but they actually keep my hands from freezing.
@pdxvespa avatar
UTC

Modératrice
2005 Cobalt Blue ET4

Modératrice
@pdxvespa avatar
2005 Cobalt Blue ET4
UTC quote
Solid Steel wrote:
I swear by handlebar muffs, but I know you can get hand warmers that you boil (I think) to recharge with heat & when youcrunch/snap them they let the heat out.. should work well for a 1/2 hour ride..
Here's a link to some >>

http://www.hotsnapz.com/Offers.htm

I switched to my insulated ski gloves recently [boarder gloves, actually, w an extended gaunlet], and they were warmer than my Joe Rocket waterproof winter gloves-- could have been warmer, tho'. Pending fiddling with wiring, I'm thinking of ordering the reusable heat packs for now.
OP
@robardin avatar
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
@robardin avatar
UTC quote
I discovered someone's comment on a bicycler forum that endorsed Zanier Heat-GX heated gloves (http://cozywinters.com/shop/zs-hgx.html):
Quote:
Zanier Heat-GX - Heated Ski Gloves.

I commute 20 miles with this stuff and feel very comfortable, down to 10 degrees.

You might find this solution pricey, but I have wasted lots of money trying to do this on the cheap. Spend the money, if you can afford to. These items are well made, long lasting, efficient and elegant.
They're $250, though. Youch!

I think I'll try the handlebar muffs first...
@jerryg avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
2005 Dragon Red Vespa ET4 Speedster

Ossessionato
@jerryg avatar
2005 Dragon Red Vespa ET4 Speedster
UTC quote
When I bouught my Termoscud Lap Apron I also got yhe Termoscud handlebar covers/muffs. Very warm and toasty. They're fleece lined and so far I've been able to keep wearing my regular gloves with them and not be uncomfortable (it was 26C this morning). I like my regular gloves because they're not bulky and I feel I have better control.

http://www.wheelup.it/

Also word is Vespa philadelphia is stocking the TucanoUrbano line.
@cindy avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
2006 Vespa LX150

Molto Verboso
@cindy avatar
2006 Vespa LX150
UTC quote
Re: my fingers (I think I still have them) are freeeezing...
robardin wrote:
What's the word for keeping fingers warm in freezing or sub-freezing conditions?
Gerbings

http://www.gerbing.com/divmc/clothing/glovesprod.html

I've used these for 3 years and swear by them. If there is an IMS (International Motorcycle Show) near you, go by their booth and try them on.
OP
@robardin avatar
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
@robardin avatar
UTC quote
Cindy wrote:
robardin wrote:
What's the word for keeping fingers warm in freezing or sub-freezing conditions?
Gerbings

I've used these for 3 years and swear by them. If there is an IMS (International Motorcycle Show) near you, go by their booth and try them on.
Interesting. But how do I attach it to the GT200? Isn't the battery hidden in the floorboard under a screwed-down rubber panel?

The Santa Monica Scooter Club site has a picture of an installation of a "cigarette lighter" 12V port (http://www.3dman.com/SMSC/bike_prod.htm#power%20port), but where could I go to get something like that done locally to me (in NYC)?
@cindy avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
2006 Vespa LX150

Molto Verboso
@cindy avatar
2006 Vespa LX150
UTC quote
robardin wrote:
Cindy wrote:
robardin wrote:
Gerbings

Interesting. But how do I attach it to the GT200? Isn't the battery hidden in the floorboard under a screwed-down rubber panel?
The salesperson in Birmingham has them wired to her ET4 and the plug in comes from under the seat when in use. I plan on waiting to get my LX before I do anything like that.
Quote:
The Santa Monica Scooter Club site has a picture of an installation of a "cigarette lighter" 12V port (http://www.3dman.com/SMSC/bike_prod.htm#power%20port), but where could I go to get something like that done locally to me (in NYC)?
http://www.bmwcyclesnyc.com/

They sell them and I bet they would install it for you.
UTC

Vespa GT 125

Vespa GT 125
UTC quote
How about a pair of old good muffs at this price (£12 inc p&p) they won't break the bank, but will keep your hands worm, they nearly gone, a few more pairs left http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Oxford-handle-bar-muffs_W0QQitemZ8020950115QQcategoryZ30240QQssPageNameZWD1VQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
@beachbuzz avatar
UTC

Hooked
Blur, Burgman, Buddy, Met, TGB

Hooked
@beachbuzz avatar
Blur, Burgman, Buddy, Met, TGB
UTC quote
I've been commuting under the same premise and have had the same problem. My commute is only 6 miles, about 20 minutes, and I'm on a 50 so my top speed is only 30mph. With the snow removal and resulting salt and melt/refreeze conditions the scooter has been resting comfortably in the garage for the past 10 days (I'm really itchin to scoot). The lowest temp I ventured out in so far was 22F and it was bearable without any artificial heat source. I'm still determined to ride unless it's wet

After the first really cold morning a couple weeks ago (28F) I stopped at the local Bikeline on the way home and got a new pair of insulated Goretex bicycle gloves. They have been great! leather palms, goretex acts like windstopper and the insulation does a fair job but...

the windchill on the fingers is still there. I was thinking of a set of dirtbike brush guards to block the direct hit on the fingers, not sure if I can find something I can mount such that it doesnt look like a tacky aftermarket bolt on. the other option I've considered is a windscreen that extends to cover the grips - not sure yet what's available for TGB. The muffs might be a workable solution for me - all I need is a windblock and they should be easily removable when not needed. By the time I figure it all out spring will be here!!
@shag avatar
UTC

Hooked
2007 GTS250, 2014 GTS 300 Super, 2009 Harley Crossbones, 883 Super Low Harley, 2010 LX150

Hooked
@shag avatar
2007 GTS250, 2014 GTS 300 Super, 2009 Harley Crossbones, 883 Super Low Harley, 2010 LX150
UTC quote
cold fingers...............
don't forget to consider a windscreen which covers the hand grips. I bought the med sized one for my LX150 from Motorsport it's a Faco brand. It reduced my cold discomfort by 50%, won't ride without it in the winter. Some say that they slow you down and create steering problems............I've found that to be very minimal, and I've riden in 25-35mph steady winds. Cheers.
@zippygt avatar
UTC

Hooked
Vespa GT 200 '04

Hooked
@zippygt avatar
Vespa GT 200 '04
UTC quote
Muffs...
I went to a motorcycle dealer in the UK... not piaggio.... and obtained some muffs that fit so much better than the oxford ones I had before... Perfect even with the windscreen.

They're made by Baglux and are the Bagster model - fleece lined with a velcro and strap fitting http://www.baglux.co.uk/apronsandmuffs.php and were around £50.

Will post a picture when I can.

Dave
@grind avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@grind avatar
UTC quote
Let's review.
In the 'Winter Scooter Riding Tips' thread, mongoose wrote:
As silly as it sounds, the best way to not get cold, is to stay warm. Conduction saps heat from you by contact. Grabbing cold barends sucks the heat from your paws.
xman wrote:
Here's what I'm thinking right now though.... 3) heated grips(only prob, is these don't cover the top of your hands).
The tops of your paws are getting cold because the grips are pulling the heat from your hands. Heated grips will slow that down.
@mesmer avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
GT200

Molto Verboso
@mesmer avatar
GT200
UTC quote
My heated grips feel good. With grips on and my light summer gloves on, my hands are warm on the inside and cold on the outside. With my grips on and my leather insulated winter gloves on my hands are warm all over. But I completely understand if someone doesn't want to deal with altering the electrical system of their scooter.
@ataritron avatar
UTC

Hooked
GT200

Hooked
@ataritron avatar
GT200
UTC quote
I use a good set of gloves and put windproof mitten shells over the top. This also keeps wind from getting up your sleeves.
@addicted avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
Consume Less & Share More

Ossessionato
@addicted avatar
Consume Less & Share More
UTC quote
ataritron wrote:
I use a good set of gloves and put windproof mitten shells over the top. This also keeps wind from getting up your sleeves.
Dude, you live in Florida! Laughing emoticon
OP
@robardin avatar
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
@robardin avatar
UTC quote
Well, I got the handlebar muffs, and they look like they certainly would help, but to my dismay they are too bulky to store under my scooter seat given that I am already storing my "scooter skirt" insulated lap apron under there, along with other gear. I don't want to leave them on the scooter itself as I'm sure they'd get stolen, and taking them with me is kind of a pain (I'd have to start carrying a backpack or something).

On the other hand, I've come up with a different way to relieve my freezing fingers.

I thought to myself: I'm wearing a thermal glove liner (like this one) underneath a pair of winter gloves, why do my fingertips get numb within 5-10 minutes of riding in freezing weather?

And why do handlebar muffs help?

Well, the main reason is due to wind chill from air blowing over the back of my hands and forefingers. They get cold, but my fingertips get even colder because the blood is already cooled by the time it reaches them.

Handlebar muffs serve to shield the hands from the airflow, so the gloves should feel basically as warm while riding as they would just walking around (still cold due to the temperature, but not numbingly frozen).

So... I took out the glove liners and cut up a cereal box into strips of cardboard, and attached panels to each forefinger and a large one that covered the back of the hand, using Scotch tape. The net effect is something that looks rather like a medieval armored gauntlet.

Then I carefully worked the liner-gauntlet back into the glove...

...and this morning (which was slightly colder than yesterday), when I wore this "wind-armored" glove, my fingers were reasonably warm (cold, but not freezing) for the entire ride, and only began to get uncomfortably cold after over a half hour of riding. And even then, they weren't numb.

All right!

Does anybody make a glove like this already?
@grind avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@grind avatar
UTC quote
robardin wrote:
...why do my fingertips get numb within 5-10 minutes of riding in freezing weather?

And why do handlebar muffs help?

Well, the main reason is due to wind chill from air blowing over the back of my hands and forefingers.
Not to sound like a broken record but,
In the 'Winter Scooter Riding Tips' thread, I wrote:
Convection cools you by the air moving over you. The less wind blowing over you, the better.
@girlbike avatar
UTC

Sponsor
Vespa ET4

Sponsor
@girlbike avatar
Vespa ET4
UTC quote
robardin wrote:
So... I took out the glove liners and cut up a cereal box into strips of cardboard, and attached panels to each forefinger and a large one that covered the back of the hand, using Scotch tape. The net effect is something that looks rather like a medieval armored gauntlet.

Then I carefully worked the liner-gauntlet back into the glove...

...and this morning (which was slightly colder than yesterday), when I wore this "wind-armored" glove, my fingers were reasonably warm (cold, but not freezing) for the entire ride, and only began to get uncomfortably cold after over a half hour of riding. And even then, they weren't numb.

All right!

Does anybody make a glove like this already?
You've got to post a photo of your invention!

My only solution to keeping my hands warm (while also maintaining the ability to use the brakes, etc) is my windscreen. I couldn't get used to muffs (I bought some ATV ones that I altered), so I got the tall screen that has hand protection, and cut it down so it wasn't like a big sail. Looks odd, maybe, but it works, and I haven't hand any decrease in speed, handling or "sail effect." See http://www.girlbike.com/scooters/2005_09_01_archive.html#112765940582262694

I just posted an article by Michael Ready about how to make your own Honda Metropolitan windshield, perhaps it could be adapted if you're feeling inventive. http://www.girlbike.com/scooters/metwindshieldhowto.html
@demonlarry avatar
UTC

Hooked
too many to list

Hooked
@demonlarry avatar
too many to list
UTC quote
Smorris and his wife stopped in to take advantage of our winter special today and one of the fixtures on the Cleveland Scooter Scene, just popped in to get his turn signal fixed on his 81 P125, Its 17 degrees here today.

his ride was over 25 miles. He's the original owner of this bike. Its his "winter" scooter.

his solution to keeping warm is gloves, helmet, and ski-jacket.

with over 79,000 miles on the bike I'd say he's doing something right.

-larry
@dutch_boy avatar
UTC

ET4, Buell XB9SX, HD XL883C

@dutch_boy avatar
ET4, Buell XB9SX, HD XL883C
UTC quote
robardin wrote:
I've set up my GT200 and my wife's ET4 to use my heated gloves. It's so simple even I can do it...

On the GT200, there is a passage between the battery and the engine compartments that you can route the connector wire through (there's already wiring running between them). Then you can route it up and out and then just to one side or the other of the seat hinge.

On the ET4, there are some holes in the forward edge of the battery compartment that you can route through into the engine compartment. Then, like on the GT200, there is some room around the seat hinge. I suspect doing this on an LX is very similar.

In both cases, a few strategic zip ties can help keep things tidy, so you don't have the wiring laying on a hot engine, or interfering with the storage bin.

Having warm hands can make a big difference when riding in the cold.
OP
@robardin avatar
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
@robardin avatar
UTC quote
girlbike wrote:
robardin wrote:
You've got to post a photo of your invention!
All right... Here it is, documented on my infrequently updated LiveJournal page...
@beale avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
None! I sold it :(

Ossessionato
@beale avatar
None! I sold it :(
UTC quote
Very creative! Great use for the cheese-its box. Does it make it any harder to steer, use signals, brakes ? I may have to scarf down some wheat thins I have just for this, Beale.
@cindy avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
2006 Vespa LX150

Molto Verboso
@cindy avatar
2006 Vespa LX150
UTC quote
A little cheezy perhaps, but hey, if it works!
@girlbike avatar
UTC

Sponsor
Vespa ET4

Sponsor
@girlbike avatar
Vespa ET4
UTC quote
Cindy wrote:
A little cheezy perhaps, but hey, if it works!
LOL Cindy!

I agree with the person who commented on your blog. You should send a letter to the CheeZit people, maybe they'll send you a free t-shirt or box of crackers or a big decal for your GT.
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.1507s ][ Queries: 35 (0.1128s) ][ Debug on ][ 313 ][ Thing One ]