@theoz avatar
UTC

Sir Frets-A-Lot
Vespa GT250ie/L, Honda Ruckus 50, Honda NT700V, Honda CB125

Sir Frets-A-Lot
@theoz avatar
UTC quote
At some point in time, someone's going to have to remind me it's actually winter.

Since my GT250 is done, I decided it was time to go out and take a ride. I dropped a line to a few of the Quitters that it was time to go out and take a quick ol' ride to Marin.

Then we noticed that either:
1) their bikes were busted (head gasket, Vinicio)
2) they were working (9-5! Ian)
3) just impossible to reach for some reason (hiding for probably a good reason, Francis)

So, I sent out an APB to a few other people, and Jess, Michael Moore and I met at the Shoreline Cafe near the Walgreens on Shoreline at 11am for a nice breakfast.

We weren't really sure where we were going to go but it seemed like we should go somewhere, so after a nice solid breakfast, we went out for a quick little jaunt around Southern and Central Marin. I had to take it a little easy - the GT250's engine only had ~130 miles on it, plus it had a relatively fresh rear.

The route ended up looking like,
1) Shoreline Cafe up Shoreline to four corners (Sequoia Valley, Shoreline, Muir Woods, Panoramic)
2) Four corners to Pan Toll turn off
3) Pan Toll turn-off to West Ridge
4) West Ridge towards Bolinas (left hand turn)
5) At Shoreline, hang a right to Point Reyes Station
6) Point Reyes to Nicassio via Nicassio Valley Road
7) Nicassio to Lucas Valley Road
8) Lucas Valley to Las Gallinas
9) Las Gallinas to Las Ranchitas to Lincoln
10) Lincoln to Wolf Grade
11) Wolf Grade to Sir Francis Drake
12) Sir Francis Drake to Magolia
13) Magnolia to East Blithesdale

On East Blithesdale we ended up at a nice little gelato place, got some ice cream (thanks, Michael!), then headed on back.

Nice little run, and got to put the GT through its paces. Felt right riding that thing again.

A few things to note about the ride:
- it was in fact still kind of 'winter' despite the fact that it was so nice out. some of the areas of lucas valley were really wet. I felt my rear wiggle out a few times, and that sucked. I had less than 50 miles on that rear before the ride, so that was half my fault.
- West Ridge is a GREAT little goat trail. I can't believe I havent' really gone down that way before, I'd always go up to the peak and go around. This was a nice slow descent. A must for later. Great scenery before the little goat trail starts, too.
- motorcyclists are much more likely to give the wave on open road.

Hell yes.
@michael_moore avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
GTS(me)/GTV(wife)

Molto Verboso
@michael_moore avatar
GTS(me)/GTV(wife)
UTC quote
Hey Oz, thanks for inviting me. It was such a beautiful day, and surprisingly little traffic, so no double-yellow passing naughtiness requried. Nice!

It's really hard to believe it's November, what with such warm weather. I too was a bit surprised at the wet bits on Lucas Valley Rd, but fortunately didn't get any slides. But we kept up a good pace, and had a great time.

Any time you want to travel the goat trails of Marin, let me know.
OP
@theoz avatar
UTC

Sir Frets-A-Lot

Sir Frets-A-Lot
@theoz avatar
UTC quote
The route from Lucas valley to Lincoln was the one I really need to remember. That's useful.

It's in my GPS tracks but still.
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0269s ][ Queries: 3 (0.0025s) ][ Debug on ][ 309 ][ Thing One ]