OP
@andrewinsa avatar
UTC

Hooked
Vespa GTS 250ie, 2008 - Midnight Blue, retired. Primavera 150, 2014 - Midnight Blue, traded. GTS300 Super, 2015 - Montebianco

Hooked
@andrewinsa avatar
Vespa GTS 250ie, 2008 - Midnight Blue, retired. Primavera 150, 2014 - Midnight Blue, traded. GTS300 Super, 2015 - Montebianco
UTC quote
Hi everyone

I thought it was time I posted something about the amazing 4 days I had last year on my bike in November when we went away with the guys from Vespa South Africa.

There were 21 bikes, an average of over 1000km each, not a single mechanical problem, what amazing bikes, and an amazing 4 days away on our machines.

We left early morning on Thursday 12 November from the Vespa shop in the Fourways design quarter. We rode through Sasolburg and on to Heilbron for breakfast. Then we stopped at the Lesoto Highlands water system Ash fall out to check it out and then on to lunch in Clarens. After lunch we took a leasurely ride through to Fouriesburg to book in. Roughly 380km on the first day, perfect weather.

Day 2 saw us go back into Clarens for some browsing and envy from the gathering crowd of Harley Riders who where there on a rally (and some shopping for the wife of course). Then we went for an amazing picnic on the side of the mountain (this is when we lined up for the attached pic) in Golden Gate after which we headed back to Fouriesburg for a freshen up and then out for a sundown ride. Again, perfect weather.

On Day 3 we headed out for Ficksburg to view an old school with some famous Pierneef paintings, an old church, an interested junk yard, and then on to a cherry farm and distillery in Clocolan for lunch (and some more shopping). We then headed back for a spit braai dinner. And another weather perfect day.

Day 4 was an early start again to get on the road home. We took an easy ride and were back in Fourways by about 12pm. And once again, perfect weather, what more could you ask for.

All was expertly organised buy the guys at Vespa, an amazing 4 days, some great new friends, and some awsome km on my GTS250 Vespa.

So to everyone around the world, Vespa is alive and well here in South Africa.
Forum member supplied image with no explanatory text
@bjoerntheh avatar
UTC

GTS 250 i.e. x 2

@bjoerntheh avatar
GTS 250 i.e. x 2
UTC quote
Re: Vespa Mille 2009 South Africa
Andrewinsa wrote:
Hi everyone

I thought it was time I posted something about the amazing 4 days I had last year on my bike in November when we went away with the guys from Vespa South Africa.

There were 21 bikes, an average of over 1000km each, not a single mechanical problem, what amazing bikes, and an amazing 4 days away on our machines.

We left early morning on Thursday 12 November from the Vespa shop in the Fourways design quarter. We rode through Sasolburg and on to Heilbron for breakfast. Then we stopped at the Lesoto Highlands water system Ash fall out to check it out and then on to lunch in Clarens. After lunch we took a leasurely ride through to Fouriesburg to book in. Roughly 380km on the first day, perfect weather.

Day 2 saw us go back into Clarens for some browsing and envy from the gathering crowd of Harley Riders who where there on a rally (and some shopping for the wife of course). Then we went for an amazing picnic on the side of the mountain (this is when we lined up for the attached pic) in Golden Gate after which we headed back to Fouriesburg for a freshen up and then out for a sundown ride. Again, perfect weather.

On Day 3 we headed out for Ficksburg to view an old school with some famous Pierneef paintings, an old church, an interested junk yard, and then on to a cherry farm and distillery in Clocolan for lunch (and some more shopping). We then headed back for a spit braai dinner. And another weather perfect day.

Day 4 was an early start again to get on the road home. We took an easy ride and were back in Fourways by about 12pm. And once again, perfect weather, what more could you ask for.

All was expertly organised buy the guys at Vespa, an amazing 4 days, some great new friends, and some awsome km on my GTS250 Vespa.

So to everyone around the world, Vespa is alive and well here in South Africa.
nice! would love to see some more pix.
is it on purpose or was it just luck that you lined up the Vespas by color?
cheers
B.
@midnight_rider avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
09 GTS (sold) 2014 NC700XD

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@midnight_rider avatar
UTC quote
Just got back from 2,5 weeks of visiting my mom in Joburg and was surprised at how many scooters in general, and Vespas in particular where on the road. But then again with all that traffic (which was not there 7 years ago) it is understandable why people switch to 2 wheels!

Sounds like a wonderful trip, and great to see that Vespa is putting stuff like that together for you!
Golden Gate is beautiful, and the whole trip sounds like a jol!

More pics would be appreciated!

Ride safe!
OP
@andrewinsa avatar
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
@andrewinsa avatar
UTC quote
Not sure if the original plan was to line up by colour, but by the time I lined my bike up, we just joined, so I think was actually by chance.

I will try to get some more pics up, just need to save down first.

Oh yes, and I hate my car now, have been on 2 wheels for just over 2 years now. There are definately more and more bikes on the roads these days, and if you know what our taxi's are like, you will be pleasantly surprised to hear that they are actually quite willing to move out of the way for bikes, definately easier than fighting with them from a car.
OP
@andrewinsa avatar
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
@andrewinsa avatar
UTC quote
Here you go, here is a selection of pics from this great ride.
Lesotho Highlands Water project, Ash fall out
Lesotho Highlands Water project, Ash fall out
Fouriesburg Country Inn
Fouriesburg Country Inn
Shopping in Clarens
Shopping in Clarens
Shop in Clarens, I think they felt bad about only welcoming Harley Davidson, they soon added Vespa when we all lined up outside
Shop in Clarens, I think they felt bad about only welcoming Harley Davidson, they soon added Vespa when we all lined up outside
Stopping for our picnic in Golden Gate
Stopping for our picnic in Golden Gate
Time to eat
Time to eat
Catching some ZZZZZZ's after lunch
Catching some ZZZZZZ's after lunch
Another pic of the line up
Another pic of the line up
and another line up pic
and another line up pic
Cherry Farm, good lunch and shopping
Cherry Farm, good lunch and shopping
A good shot of a church in Clarens
A good shot of a church in Clarens
Me in front, thumbs up - happy days
Me in front, thumbs up - happy days
One of the many new friends from the Mille - very hot GTS300 with some tasteful changes
One of the many new friends from the Mille - very hot GTS300 with some tasteful changes
Back home - the twins Vespa's - they will have to wait a little more for real ones
Back home - the twins Vespa's - they will have to wait a little more for real ones
@mike_holland avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
GTS300 Super 2015 Blue, GTS300 Super 2023 Beige

Ossessionato
@mike_holland avatar
GTS300 Super 2015 Blue, GTS300 Super 2023 Beige
UTC quote
Wow! What a great turnout and great ride!

I was a member of the Vespa Club of Johannesburg 1959-1965, and my GTS now sports a VC of Joeys lapel badge on the front. I attended Vespa rallies in Durban and East London, and also rode to Cape Town twice, on my GS150. I still have lapel badges for the Vespa Clubs of Cape Town, Durban, Port Elizabeth and Salisbury.

Nice to know the clubs are still active there. Wish I could visit and ride with you guys in that great country.

Mike
@midnight_rider avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@midnight_rider avatar
UTC quote
Wow, looks great! Thanks for the additional pictures!

I found in general that the Taxis have cooled down a lot compared to 10 years ago. And compared to Texas, most drives where courteous and friendly, sharing the roads with any two-wheelers. Nice changes!

Still am in awe that Vespa organized that trip! Awesome!

Unfortunately I was never part of any Club in JHB, my mom would have killed me! But it is great to see others having fond memories of ZA and their Vespas.
@pdxvespa avatar
UTC

Modératrice
2005 Cobalt Blue ET4

Modératrice
@pdxvespa avatar
2005 Cobalt Blue ET4
UTC quote
What a great trip. Wonderful to have South Africa represented here on Modern Vespa! Thanks for the additional pix.

Cheers,

~Deborah
OP
@andrewinsa avatar
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
@andrewinsa avatar
UTC quote
We are very lucky to have such great people running Vespa here as a company. When I bought my bike I felt like I had bought into the Vespa family, and not just bought a cool bike. The club here is not so much a club (no membership fees or cards), you just buy a bike and then get on their mailing list through their website, and you get their monthly newsletters telling you about the monthly ride that they are organising. On the day, you just turn up and join the fun (except for this ride I have reported on, this was more structured due to the size and financial commitment needed from each person).

On one level, I do think it helps them sell more bikes, but what a great way of doing it. And even if that is their motivation, I really don't care, I love being part of the Vespa South Africa family.
⬆️    About 2 months elapsed    ⬇️
UTC

'07 GTS 250 Vintage Red

'07 GTS 250 Vintage Red
UTC quote
That looks like a lot of fun.
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0409s ][ Queries: 4 (0.0166s) ][ Debug on ][ 313 ][ Thing One ]