@bravotwofour avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
'09 Mp3-500 - Gone Now

Ossessionato
@bravotwofour avatar
'09 Mp3-500 - Gone Now
UTC quote
As time permits I have been continuing to get Loretta ready for some touring for when the weather gets better (and I can get some time off). I already added the Givi E55 topcase with liner and brakelights, a great touring addition and one of the better made aftermarket pieces I have seen for the scooter. But I know with us riding two-up and taking off for several days at a time - or more - we'll need a bit more room than that, and I want to keep heavier items as low as possible. So I opted to find a good set of saddlebags (a work in progress, Givi T449 bags still on order) and a good tunnel bag.

Givi offers a nice tunnel bag and I was going to simply stick with their product since the quality is a given, but researching the site here I came across the Aprilia 50 Liter Nylon Tunnel Bag mentioned as both sizable and well-suited for touring and such, so I purchased one from Motorcycle Mall. The bag comes with a built in map pocket, side pockets, rain cover, shoulder strap and built in carrying handle, and includes tie down straps and buckles.

External inline image provided by member with no explanatory text

The tunnel bag is HUGE and very well made, and fits the Mp3 500 tunnel quite well, sitting at a slightly forward tilting angle as compared to the Aprilia. There is no existing or easily seen way to tie it down to the Mp3 and any method used needs to be easy to undo for fueling. There is also the caveat that the parking brake can't be used when the bag is installed, but I intend to remove it when I am parked for overnight lodging; otherwise, if at a restaurant or something, I can use the hardstand if needed on a slight grade or such.

So in setting out to find a way to secure the bag I read that some opted to sew on a new attachment point and use the grocery bag hook on the scooter - I didn't like this solution since it seemed like the bag could swing on the hook too easily. The tunnel bag has tie down strap connection points on each side of the bottom, made to easily fit on certain Aprilia scooter models, and pretty close to perfect for the Mp3 as well - but of course the differences in the Aprilia and Piaggio required some modified approach. So I went in search of a solution and came up with the some great stainless steel D-rings online, and then installed them on the floorplates using stainless steel machine screws, nylock nuts and washers. Here's a series of pictures.

The hardware, laying on the floorplate area, floorplate removed. The drainholes are evident.

Marking the floorplate with drilling location, simply eyeballed and placed
so the protruding portion of the machine screw and nut would be in the
drain hole.

Hardware installed on floorplate, prior to installation, top view. Snugged
very tightly the D-ring mounting does not rotate.

And a bottom view of the hardware installed on floorplate.

Widening the drain hole for clearance. Could be done with a knife as well.

The widened drain hole.

Floorplate being installed; you can see how the clearance hole lines up.
Could have used a shorter machine screw but this was on hand
and there is plenty of clearance for it.

Installing the floorplate, and the UFP brackets are going back in as well.

The little ol' D-ring doing its job!

Tunnel bag in place.

The D-rings are totally unobtrusive and fold flat when not in use.

Installed D-rings barely seen here looking down.

The end result feels great, the bag is very secure and the straps remove easily. It would have been nice if the bag sat a little more upright and the map pocket angled more rearwards, but mostly its just a visual thing and I'll have GPS regardless. There is little to no foot interference when the bag is strapped in place (especially since I have those boffo footpegs for cruising), and I can't tell the rings are there at all when riding without the bag. The floorplates where the rings are mounted are plenty strong enough for the task they are asked to perform and the existing drain hole under the floorplate was in a perfect location for hardware clearance with no interference (with minor widening).

About the only thing I notice is a tendency to want to knee-hug the tunnel bag like a top tank and obviously it offers no support that way (but that would be cool! ).

Hope this is helpful for anyone else considering the Aprilia tunnel bag on their Mp3!
@g03 avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
MP3 500 08

Molto Verboso
@g03 avatar
MP3 500 08
UTC quote
Very nice job! Gratz on the install.
@old_as_dirt avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
2007 GTS

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@old_as_dirt avatar
2007 GTS
UTC quote
looks great. You said you wished it was angled the other way what if you rotated the bag 180 degrees so it would angle to you? could you take a pic of it this way and post it?
@bubbajon avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
RIP: MP3 500 - Brutto Moto

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@bubbajon avatar
UTC quote
Nice job! I find myself wondering if that might be a good place for my fuel tank(s). It would be protected there. Hmmmm - are the dimensions for that bag online?
OP
@bravotwofour avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
'09 Mp3-500 - Gone Now

Ossessionato
@bravotwofour avatar
'09 Mp3-500 - Gone Now
UTC quote
old as dirt wrote:
looks great. You said you wished it was angled the other way what if you rotated the bag 180 degrees so it would angle to you? could you take a pic of it this way and post it?
I tried nine ways to Sunday to get a better angle on it, the thing is really finely tuned more to the Scarabeo. If I took the stuffing out of it (stiff paper and cardboard to hold in shape) I could squish it in but its not effective at all for storing or access. The main compartment zipper is easily accessed when in place as I did and it feels pretty good riding like this too. The pic I posted makes it ahrd to appreciate the fact the bag is much wider in the front.

Check these photos of it installed on a Scarabeo, they show the configuration a little better.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=376330

edit, here's an earlier thread where I saw this bag before. He has it setting much more level but it is hooked to the grocery bag hook and the bottom is not flat on the tunnel - I think this is not too secure for carrying much load and may also shift on curves. Still, I will adjust and modify as I use it and always looking for a better way!

Tunnel Bag Question
⚠️ Last edited by BravoTwoFour on UTC; edited 1 time
OP
@bravotwofour avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
'09 Mp3-500 - Gone Now

Ossessionato
@bravotwofour avatar
'09 Mp3-500 - Gone Now
UTC quote
BubbaJon wrote:
Nice job! I find myself wondering if that might be a good place for my fuel tank(s). It would be protected there. Hmmmm - are the dimensions for that bag online?
Don't know if the dims are online or not. Can measure it tho.

Been pondering that in many ways myself. Even to the extent of something molded to fit the area or the bag and that was attached right to the fuel tank and could refuel on demand... that would take some ingenuity and some engineering but is a very intriguing possibility. More likely tho I will look to carry a smallish fuel vessel inside this bag and keep the mass low. Ideally a bladder of some type, and I have been researching some of them online (one or two gallons is pretty small tho).

I still keep toying with where to position a Rotopax and have yet to come up with anything practical. Last thought I had was reworking the rear fender and integrating it there, but lot of work involved and the extra mass would be a long ways aft.
@bubbajon avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@bubbajon avatar
UTC quote
Any restraints up top?

Also - I hate to play chicken little - did you see that link to a MV post on a BV 500 fuel issue? Can't help but wonder if it may apply to our rides... anybody know?

BV 500: How to Fix the Hose Clamp Problem at Fuel Pump
@old_as_dirt avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
2007 GTS

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@old_as_dirt avatar
2007 GTS
UTC quote
BravoTwoFour wrote:
old as dirt wrote:
I tried nine ways to Sunday to get a better angle on it, the thing is really finely tuned more to the Scarabeo. If I took the stuffing out of it (stiff paper and cardboard to hold in shape) I could squish it in but its not effective at all for storing or access. The main compartment zipper is easily accessed when in place as I did and it feels pretty good riding like this too. The pic I posted makes it ahrd to appreciate the fact the bag is much wider in the front.

Check these photos of it installed on a Scarabeo, they show the configuration a little better.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=376330

edit, here's an earlier thread where I saw this bag before. He has it setting much more level but it is hooked to the grocery bag hook and the bottom is not flat on the tunnel - I think this is not too secure for carrying much load and may also shift on curves. Still, I will adjust and modify as I use it and always looking for a better way!

Tunnel Bag Question
I looked at the pics in advrider and I now see why you mounted it that way. It is indeed wide up front, but thats alright. I still like it and for trips it would hold alot of gear/junk and be easy access. heck you might find riding you like the angle of the map pocket while riding.
@fuzzy avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
. . 2008 Blue MP3 400. . di Peluria Orso .... 1993 Kawasaki Vulcan 500 ....... 2013 Honda NC700XD; 2017 Versys X300

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@fuzzy avatar
. . 2008 Blue MP3 400. . di Peluria Orso .... 1993 Kawasaki Vulcan 500 ....... 2013 Honda NC700XD; 2017 Versys X300
UTC quote
I have a Givi tunnel bag I have used on long trips. It wedges in pretty tight between the leg shield and seat so I never bothered to use the securing straps. Short of a crash it isn't going anywhere and is easy to remove for adding gas or setting the brake. I was just wondering if this bag fits as tight and the same thing could be done.

Your mounting looks great and does provide an extra level of protection keeping the bag in place. This also looks like a nicer bag than the Givi. I especially like the map pocket.
OP
@bravotwofour avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
'09 Mp3-500 - Gone Now

Ossessionato
@bravotwofour avatar
'09 Mp3-500 - Gone Now
UTC quote
Fuzzy wrote:
I have a Givi tunnel bag I have used on long trips. It wedges in pretty tight between the leg shield and seat so I never bothered to use the securing straps. Short of a crash it isn't going anywhere and is easy to remove for adding gas or setting the brake. I was just wondering if this bag fits as tight and the same thing could be done.

Your mounting looks great and does provide an extra level of protection keeping the bag in place. This also looks like a nicer bag than the Givi. I especially like the map pocket.
The Givi quality is pretty hard to beat. I don't have their tunnel bag but the pics of them tell the story methinks, not the least of which it appears to be much stiffer and well formed. This Aprilia bag is built well and is really focused on size, which was why I wanted it, but I doubt it is as snug fitting as the Givi. It also is soft sided and is only in the shape you see in my pic because it is well stuffed so I could gauge what to expect when touring.

I'll post more here as I use it and adapt it and me to each other...
OP
@bravotwofour avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
'09 Mp3-500 - Gone Now

Ossessionato
@bravotwofour avatar
'09 Mp3-500 - Gone Now
UTC quote
Friggin' OCD... I kept screwing around with trying to get the bag a bit more 'plumb' in the tunnel, repacked it and reset it so the way the top is angled better matches the tunnel. I figured by tying the retention straps down further forward I could force the bag to sit the way I prefer it to... so I just installed a second set of D-rings in the existing mounting holes on the floorplates and had at it. This arrangement will work fine too and if I really load it up I can use the first set of D-rings and tie the bag with all surfaces flush in the tunnel as I did originally. Only thing left to do is shorten and trim the straps.

Riding with it is easy and it works well. Road trip storage!

@old_as_dirt avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
2007 GTS

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@old_as_dirt avatar
2007 GTS
UTC quote
that looks so much better. Glad you reworked it and posted pics for us. thanks
@mjm50cal avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
Red MP3 500 RUBY DRAGON

Ossessionato
@mjm50cal avatar
Red MP3 500 RUBY DRAGON
UTC quote
Nicely done B24! It looks finished.
@luthorhuss avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
R.I.P. ----K.I.T.T.500, Agent Orange (400)

Ossessionato
@luthorhuss avatar
R.I.P. ----K.I.T.T.500, Agent Orange (400)
UTC quote
That looks great, Bravo!!! Looks like you could really venture out into some rough weather with a rig like that...hippo hands, pegs, tunnel bag, etc....looks great.
⬆️    About 6 years elapsed    ⬇️
OP
@bravotwofour avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
'09 Mp3-500 - Gone Now

Ossessionato
@bravotwofour avatar
'09 Mp3-500 - Gone Now
UTC quote
Need a huge tunnel bag?
I'm selling this Aprilia tunnel bag (the exact one in this thread), along with other luggage and gear. And a lot of parts and tools. And the Mp3-500 as well... Everything's gotta go.

Check the 'for sale' section over the next few weeks, a couple items posted up there now.
Forum member supplied image with no explanatory text
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0266s ][ Queries: 7 (0.0121s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingTwo ]