@jimc avatar
UTC

Moderaptor
The Hornet (GT200, aka Love Bug) and 'Dimples' - a GTS 300

Moderaptor
@jimc avatar
UTC quote
An early march ride poposed by Alice, Husketeer of this parish. So possibly wet, possibly cold.

It turned out to be cold - but perfect sunshine. I endeavored to get to bed early-ish (about 02:00 seemed good) and set the alarm. As always (sigh) heard the alarm, turned it off, and swung my legs out of bed to find 30 minutes had disappeared.

Never mind, forget the shower, get tea down my neck. A pint of tea later I realised my choice of bikes was limited - only the GP800 would get me to the church on time. Whistled around the M25 at 'ahem' progressive speeds (huge grin!) and managed to just about sober up by the time I arrived at Pratt's Bottom from the east. Note I live many miles to the west - but this was the quickest route for me by far.

A couple of scoots already there, thank goodness, and more gathered as time went on. I filled up my tank and my brain with a 'double-double Espresso' - both of which did their tricks.

What a lovely collection of scoots. I was the real interloper with the GP800, but Bill brought genie's interloper down with genie riding pillion - and not too warm either poor thing. So she asked very nicely if she could ride pillion behind me, as that way her hands wouldn't get so cold. If you want details- ask her! All I can say is that genie is a sack of potatoes. Razz emoticon

So off we set after a very sensible pre-ride briefing from Alice. Everyone rode safely and with very good marking of changes of direction - including NOT marking when the back marker (me+potatoes) loomed behind.

Apparently there was ice on the road in places - I confess I didn't notice it, and didn't ride over any, but hey, it was an adventure.

And what a great route. I've done many of those roads before, but not all of them, so this was a great new joined-up way of getting to the Cock - who did us proud. I'm rather pleased to have snaffled the last portion of the pheasant 'pot' - it was brilliant - tough luck Dave!

Most goodbyes done after lunch - but a few of us went on to the "cider" place (past some llamas and alpacas, but no camel) where I bought some perry, more than half of which has already been consumed.

Great to meet new friends (we suffer those we know Razz emoticon ), may we meet again - and the next time can the holder of the Skok stickers dish a few out?
@erich51 avatar
UTC

Banned
GTS 250ie - SHINY YELLOW

Banned
@erich51 avatar
GTS 250ie - SHINY YELLOW
UTC quote
Go for it
@tailormarc avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
GTS300Super White

Molto Verboso
@tailormarc avatar
GTS300Super White
UTC quote
I am glad I wasn't the only one not to notice any ice. I thought it was just me and didn't want to disagree with anyone, for fear of coming across as a mindless feck who can't see ice when it's in front of him. Razz emoticon

Laughing emoticon
@wonder_machine avatar
UTC

Size of a Chaffinch
PX 125 "The Bruise" (SOLD)

Size of a Chaffinch
@wonder_machine avatar
PX 125 "The Bruise" (SOLD)
UTC quote
Bill and Potatoes Shinkle arrived at ours for some pre ride coffee.

Well, they had coffee. I was busy shouting at a local cat not to shit on the freshly planted euphorbia.

Bill and Potatoes showed a clean pair of heels by the time we got them onto the main road down to Pratts. If you tell Bill he is riding the slowest bike then he sets the controls for the heart of the sun.

A good day's ride but cold, cold, cold and I'm still drinking some of the perry. Envied the llamas their wool.

We even had a good ride back, minus a horsebox... and then Alice invited us in for some defrosting coffee.
UTC

Banned

Banned
UTC quote
Sounds great... Did anyone take pictures?

(I love pictures Eyelashes emoticon )
@tailormarc avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
GTS300Super White

Molto Verboso
@tailormarc avatar
GTS300Super White
UTC quote
Pictures and a Vid can be found here London MV: Ride A Cock, Sunday March 7th
page 2. supplied by Mark.
@genie avatar
UTC

Gobshite Shiva
Kymco Downtown 300i the 'Dolphin Noise'

Gobshite Shiva
@genie avatar
Kymco Downtown 300i the 'Dolphin Noise'
UTC quote
i'm a bit ashamed to admit it but i enjoy riding bitch/potato/pillion. i get lovely views of the countryside without the distraction of having to watch where i'm going. i was an idiot not to wear my warmest trousers - jim, you need to install a bum heater in that gigantic pillion saddle on the GP

apart from the ride itself, the highlight of the day was watching kate shatter the peace of an early sunday morning in east dulwich by storming out into the garden to bawl 'BUGGER OFF' at a ginger cat who was taking an innocent morning dump in the garden.
@solidfunk avatar
UTC

Piaggio liberty 125cc 2007

@solidfunk avatar
Piaggio liberty 125cc 2007
UTC quote
Being my first real ride out I wasn't sure what to expect, so i departed at 9:00am to reach Pratts Bottom at 10:00am (He He Bottom!)

I arrived at the petrol station to find I was the first to arrive this was at 10:20 25mins earlie. Had a bacon sandwich as I had not eaten lucky I did eat because we did not reach the cock for another 2 hours.

Just as I was sitting on my bike Alice pulled up at the pump And gave me the nod. After filling up she came over and gave me a warm welcome. Very shortly after Jim pulled up looking very pleased with his 35min trek.

Cutting a long story short as I'm
at work

It was a real fun ride out I could not believe the ice on that stretch of road well I had to it nearly took me off the scoot!.

Love the lamas!!!!!!

Still sipping the cider need more!!

Seen the video the dancing is the best lol!

XXXXXXXX
@erich51 avatar
UTC

Banned
GTS 250ie - SHINY YELLOW

Banned
@erich51 avatar
GTS 250ie - SHINY YELLOW
UTC quote
Just a little puzzled, what does riding a cock have to do with this ride, or am I missing something?
OP
@jimc avatar
UTC

Moderaptor

Moderaptor
@jimc avatar
UTC quote
From the pub's web-site:

"The Cock Inn is a 16th century coaching inn that takes its name from the bygone era when a spare horse (The Cock Horse) was kept ready at the foot of a steep hill to assist another horse with a heavy load up the hill. Old maps show that there was stabling in the car park area up until the turn of the last century.

The Cock Horse, of course, was immortalised in the favourite children's nursery rhyme that depicted Queen Elizabeth 1 riding into Banbury Cross aboard a large white stallion, after the Queen's carriage had broken a wheel on the steep climb up the hill."

http://www.cockpub.co.uk/
OP
@jimc avatar
UTC

Moderaptor

Moderaptor
@jimc avatar
UTC quote
That was a whoosh then, why am I not surprised.
@erich51 avatar
UTC

Banned
GTS 250ie - SHINY YELLOW

Banned
@erich51 avatar
GTS 250ie - SHINY YELLOW
UTC quote
jimc wrote:
From the pub's web-site:

"The Cock Inn is a 16th century coaching inn that takes its name from the bygone era when a spare horse (The Cock Horse) was kept ready at the foot of a steep hill to assist another horse with a heavy load up the hill. Old maps show that there was stabling in the car park area up until the turn of the last century.

The Cock Horse, of course, was immortalised in the favourite children's nursery rhyme that depicted Queen Elizabeth 1 riding into Banbury Cross aboard a large white stallion, after the Queen's carriage had broken a wheel on the steep climb up the hill."

http://www.cockpub.co.uk/

Thank you for answering my question. Very interesting* fact of yesteryear.
erich
OP
@jimc avatar
UTC

Moderaptor

Moderaptor
@jimc avatar
UTC quote
It'd much more preferred if:
a) You Googled the bloody thing yourself.
b) You answered immediate replies to your questions.

b) I can understand,
a) I cannot.
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0389s ][ Queries: 5 (0.0084s) ][ Debug on ][ 309 ][ Thing One ]