@rajron avatar
UTC

Addicted
GTS 300

Addicted
@rajron avatar
GTS 300
UTC quote
At first we were going to trailer our scooters but we changed our minds and rode to Las Cruses from Albuquerque. The wife has a 250 GTS, I have a 300 GTS so on the freeway it's about 240 miles one way, though we didn't just ride the freeway. We rented a motel in Las Cruses and spent two nights there, we would have stayed one day longer but the weather turned so we decided to ride back home in the weather instead of staying in a motel, after all we were on scooters and we would have to ride in bad weather just to get anywhere anyways, something you don't fully realize until you ride to/on a vacation.
While we were in southern NM we decided to ride to El Paso, about 45 miles from Las Cruses, the wife has never been to Texas so she wanted to make that short trip. We liked Las Cruses, but, El Paso was not much to our liking.
Both our scooters are low mileage, so it was interesting to compare the two scooters. Most of the area we traveled is over 4,000 feet probably averaging 4,500 feet so the scooters have to work much harder than if we were at sea level, we were only able to reach the 75mph speed limit on the freeway a couple of times and only when conditions were favorable. There is a difference between both our scooters the 300 is stronger in every comparison, even accounting for the 50 lb delta between the wife and me.
The 300 accelerates more rapidly; the 300 climbs better; the 300 cruises easier; and surprisingly the 300 has better fuel economy. Though we went everywhere together on this trip, our trip meters showed different, the 250 showed 606 miles, the 300 showed 597 miles? Sometimes because of the winds, altitude and incline our speeds would drop to just over 60mph, indicated, the 300 easily had another 5mph in it.
The cold weather was very tiring and numbing; it rained on us in Hatch, there was snow on the road home just before Socorro and the winds were horrible; on the way south there was a prevailing northern wind, and when we started back north, the storm changed the winds to a prevailing southern wind. In Las Cruses we purchased Crampbuster's, at the "Worlds Largest" (it didn't seem that big, but they had a lot of bikes there) Harley Davidson shop, the levers helped tremendously on the way home.
Here are some pictures, not very good ones, or as many as I wished; we were ridding after all - just wanted to share.

Our Basic route:

External inline image provided by member with no explanatory text

Starting odometers

Start of Ron and Kathleen's big adventure

This place is getting a lot of recognition in our state

Many people asked us about our scooters, and we meet many interesting peoples - this guy has three Saluki dogs, jack rabbits don't stand a chance against them

The guy in Black, he is getting famous in our state for his burgers, in San Antonio NM, the beginnings of the Hilton empire started in this small town.

Organ Mountains, Las Cruses NM

Home for two days, first time the scooters were outside overnight.

La Polsa in Mesilla, the first settlement in the Las Cruses area, the restaurant has just great Mexican food, different from New Mexico cuisine

This is the back way to El Paso from Las Cruses; We took the semi infested freeway back to Las Cruses, semi's offer a whole new dimension in ridding a scooter on a congested freeway

Off in the distant are the high rises of El Paso, hard to see but there

250 300 finish miles

@erich51 avatar
UTC

Banned
GTS 250ie - SHINY YELLOW

Banned
@erich51 avatar
GTS 250ie - SHINY YELLOW
UTC quote
Re: Albuquerque to La Cruses and back
Nice ride along with the photos, thanks for sharing.
erich

Huge over-quote removed - jimc
@gogogordy avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
Reprehensible Misinformant

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@gogogordy avatar
Reprehensible Misinformant
UTC quote
Looks like a nice journey! It IS interesting to compare two scooters of the same DNA but different....we have a GT200L and a GTS 250 and make similar comparisons.

Thanks for chronicling and sharing your trip, looks like a great one!
@alloo avatar
UTC

Hooked
2016 Piaggio BV 350

Hooked
@alloo avatar
2016 Piaggio BV 350
UTC quote
Where did you get your hand guards from? How much were they?
OP
@rajron avatar
UTC

Addicted
GTS 300

Addicted
@rajron avatar
GTS 300
UTC quote
I should have mentioned; we loved the trip and are planning, when the weather gets better, more scooter trips.
allo;
I used: http://www.powermadd.com/aboutus.html ; The Star Series, don't remember what I paid, used one of their suggested retailers. I modified them by cutting them shorter and though PowerMadd have their own mounting systems I devised my own. PowerMadd also make hand guards specifically for scooters.

URL mended - jimc
@stanny avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
2007 GT200L Graphite Black

Molto Verboso
@stanny avatar
2007 GT200L Graphite Black
UTC quote
Great pictures! I'm amazed you went for it in weather like that. You are tougher than me!
@mgent avatar
UTC

Hooked
Gts 250 (2015) midnight blue

Hooked
@mgent avatar
Gts 250 (2015) midnight blue
UTC quote
Nice ride and lovely pics.
UTC

Banned

Banned
UTC quote
Nice ride. You never know what to expect from New Mexico weather.

My wife and I rode 250cc motorcycles from ABQ to Cruces a few years back.
We tried to avoid the interstate though. Basically country and frontage roads into Socorro and then back roads through T or C and onto Cruces. There were 2 stretches we had to be on I-25...the Rio Puerco above Socorro and just before T or C.

The Buckhorn Tavern in San Antonio is worth the ride alone!
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0371s ][ Queries: 3 (0.0100s) ][ Debug on ][ 313 ][ Thing One ]