OP
UTC

Hooked
GT200

Hooked
GT200
UTC quote
I wouldn't call it epic, but it was indeed a ride..... over 200 miles and a perfect day with PERFECT weather!

I started out from the house late morning and aimed the GT200 for 'The Junction', a favorite route for local sport bikes, Harley cruisers daring to venture through some twisties, and bicycle enthusiasts looking for a work-out.

However ten minutes outa town, I remembered a call from the distant BMW/Vespa dealership, that my parts were in. I got off the freeway and headed for Modesto..... passing two different highway patrols with cars pulled over for speeding. I picked up my fuel filter, spark plug, O-rings, oil filter, and push-on nuts for my reflectors, than back-tracked 20 miles to the freeway to continue with my original destination.

Del Puerto Canyon has a narrow two lane road snaking through it, HUGE green hills on either side of it, a creek running along-side it, and it's "free range", where cows wander out into the road and have the right of way. This is a rock painted by the locals who come out to picnic, just sit and stare, or fire up a little some'some'n to get their buzz on:

External inline image provided by member with no explanatory text

Twenty-five miles from the nearest freeway is 'The Junction', a destination, a cold beer, a place to hang out and smoke a cigar. I had a cold Sierra Nevada beer and Buffalo Burger.... very lean, very dry, well done, like I like it:

After chatting it up with a couple folks there, it was time to set out for the ride home. This gives you an idea of what kind of road I was riding on, twists & turns, some loose sand, a few boulders, and beautiful sights to behold!

Stopping at a Harley dealership to use their facilities, speeding along at break neck speeds dragging my side-stand, slowing for traffic, and generally enjoying the day. Before setting off for the rest of the ride home, I jus' hadda take a picture of my scooter by some wild flowers. What a day, what a ride!

@jimc avatar
UTC

Moderaptor
The Hornet (GT200, aka Love Bug) and 'Dimples' - a GTS 300

Moderaptor
@jimc avatar
UTC quote
I can sense the GRIN from here. Nice one.
OP
UTC

Hooked
GT200

Hooked
GT200
UTC quote
I just got through taking the big rubber baby buggy bumpers off my engine cowles this morning. Odd though, nobody at the Vespa dealership noticed or commented about them.
Instead, BMW guys wanted to know all about my ride, how big an engine, how fast, freeway legal, fuel mileage??? etc. A fellow with the same machine as mine, although in a 250 variation, told me that I really needed to put lower/fatter tires on my bike, buy a throttle lock to let it run 'at speed' in the garage during the cold weather ("at speed" & unattended??!??), how to check the coolant, change out the coolant hoses, he loves his Corbin, and can climb a distant steep hill (Pacheco Pass) at 50 mph........
It goes without saying, where ever I stop, there will always be somebody who wants to ask about the Vespa and listen to my stories of freedom and liberation while out on the road. Yes, I AM indeed grinning & smile'n.

@erich51 avatar
UTC

Banned
GTS 250ie - SHINY YELLOW

Banned
@erich51 avatar
GTS 250ie - SHINY YELLOW
UTC quote
rubber
CA wasp'n wrote:
I just got through taking the big rubber baby buggy
bumpers off my engine cowles this morning. Odd though, nobody at the
Vespa dealership noticed or commented about them.
Instead, BMW guys wanted to know all about my ride, how big an engine,
how fast, freeway legal, fuel mileage??? etc. A fellow with the same
machine as mine, although in a 250 variation, told me that I really needed
to put lower/fatter tires on my bike, buy a throttle lock to let it run 'at
speed' in the garage during the cold weather ("at speed" &
unattended??!??), how to check the coolant, change out the coolant hoses,
he loves his Corbin, and can climb a distant steep hill (Pacheco Pass) at
50 mph........
It goes without saying, where ever I stop, there will always be somebody
who wants to ask about the Vespa and listen to my stories of freedom and
liberation while out on the road. Yes, I AM indeed grinning & smile'n.

How come? Why did you take the rubber baby bumpers off your cowling? I thought they looked nice and you didn't need to put crash bars on.
erich
@gogogordy avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
Reprehensible Misinformant

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@gogogordy avatar
Reprehensible Misinformant
UTC quote
Re: First outing on the Vespa
CA wasp'n wrote:
I wouldn't call it epic, but it was indeed a ride..... over 200 miles and a perfect day with PERFECT weather!

I started out from the house late morning and aimed the GT200 for 'The Junction', a favorite route for local sport bikes, Harley cruisers daring to venture through some twisties, and bicycle enthusiasts looking for a work-out.

However ten minutes outa town, I remembered a call from the distant BMW/Vespa dealership, that my parts were in. I got off the freeway and headed for Modesto..... passing two different highway patrols with cars pulled over for speeding. I picked up my fuel filter, spark plug, O-rings, oil filter, and push-on nuts for my reflectors, than back-tracked 20 miles to the freeway to continue with my original destination.

Del Puerto Canyon has a narrow two lane road snaking through it, HUGE green hills on either side of it, a creek running along-side it, and it's "free range", where cows wander out into the road and have the right of way. This is a rock painted by the locals who come out to picnic, just sit and stare, or fire up a little some'some'n to get their buzz on:

Twenty-five miles from the nearest freeway is 'The Junction', a destination, a cold beer, a place to hang out and smoke a cigar. I had a cold Sierra Nevada beer and Buffalo Burger.... very lean, very dry, well done, like I like it:

After chatting it up with a couple folks there, it was time to set out for the ride home. This gives you an idea of what kind of road I was riding on, twists & turns, some loose sand, a few boulders, and beautiful sights to behold!

Stopping at a Harley dealership to use their facilities, speeding along at break neck speeds dragging my side-stand, slowing for traffic, and generally enjoying the day. Before setting off for the rest of the ride home, I jus' hadda take a picture of my scooter by some wild flowers. What a day, what a ride!

"Top case envy".

I'm just saying

Looking good, enjoy!
OP
UTC

Hooked
GT200

Hooked
GT200
UTC quote
Eric....

It's always a work in progress. I figured between the body side-moulding I put on, and diligance(sp) on my part, I keep the risk of a tip down. It looks pretty smooooth without the buggy bumpers, but bars will hafta go on in the future:

@jimc avatar
UTC

Moderaptor

Moderaptor
@jimc avatar
UTC quote
Please make your pictures slightly smaller in width at least? Consider others who may have smaller resolution screens, and who for operational reasons can't 'maximise'.

600px wide at most works very well on these forums.
@1drunkparrot avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
2007 LX150 Dragon Red & 2009 H-D FLHRC

Molto Verboso
@1drunkparrot avatar
2007 LX150 Dragon Red & 2009 H-D FLHRC
UTC quote
Great ride report. Looks like a lot of fun.
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0342s ][ Queries: 3 (0.0059s) ][ Debug on ][ 309 ][ Thing One ]