Ossessionato
Looking for the next one, probably electric

Ossessionato
@tor2ga avatar
Looking for the next one, probably electric
UTC quote
xmanhoe wrote:
michael_h wrote:
The Stebel horn does not like water. Have you washed your scooter recently, or has it sat out where water could enter the horn cover?

From an earlier post ...
michael_h wrote:
Water entering a Stebel and causing failure is a known problem with that horn.

From Webbikeworld :
Quote:
Reports have indicated that any water that enters the horn can also cause it to fail.
I've seen recommendations that you should try and mount the horn more downwards to limit the water entering. I've assumed that the horncast cover provided much of the protection needed.

Hopefully, drying out the horn will cause it to work again. If not, then you may need to disassemble and replace.
I have a rubber flap cut from an old inner tube fitted to both my air horn trumpets and this stops water or dew getting in take the top off the compressor and clean the mica vanes , then lightly oil them making sure to fit them the right way or it will take time to bed them in
You disassemble and lube the compressor vanes??? Wha? emoticon Wha? emoticon

Is the weather there that bad? Laughing emoticon
@nightwing avatar
UTC

Contributor
2007 LX 150 (memories)

Contributor
@nightwing avatar
2007 LX 150 (memories)
UTC quote
I don't know if this is an issue, but I will mention it because of concerns over water ingestion.

When I installed my Stebel in my LX 150, I took great pains to mount the unit vertically, solidly bolted in without clamps or jacklegging. I did a write up about it. It was a bit tricky but worth the effort.

As I was examining the horn upon removing it from the package, a little black plastic doo-dad fell out. At first, I couldn't figure out what it was and I don't believe it was even mentioned in the instructions. I discovered that it was a nipple that snapped onto the air intake and appeared to be a way of connecting a breather tube for a remote air pick up.

My horn was well concealed and protected and both the horn and pick up were pointing down.

If any units are getting water in them, I would suggest making sure that the intake as well as the outlet are not in a wet area.

Hopefully, you all have your little black plastic doo-dads installed and didn't throw them away as I almost did.Nerd emoticon
@xmanhoe avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
Belvoir Wine Team RC (Buckfast Commando) ,Rusty Sheriff's Badge MCC, 07 ET4 ,07 Piaggio X8

Molto Verboso
@xmanhoe avatar
Belvoir Wine Team RC (Buckfast Commando) ,Rusty Sheriff's Badge MCC, 07 ET4 ,07 Piaggio X8
UTC quote
You disassemble and lube the compressor vanes??? Wha? emoticon Wha? emoticon

Is the weather there that bad? Laughing emoticon[/quote] YOU BET LOL it always rains in Ireland 40 shades of green mate lol some light oil helps them
OP
@david_masse avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
2016 Vespa GTS 300 i.e. ABS sold, 2010 Vespa GTS 300 ie Super (sold) & 2003 Honda Shadow VT750 ACE (sold) & 2006 Vespa LX150 (sold)

Ossessionato
@david_masse avatar
2016 Vespa GTS 300 i.e. ABS sold, 2010 Vespa GTS 300 ie Super (sold) & 2003 Honda Shadow VT750 ACE (sold) & 2006 Vespa LX150 (sold)
UTC quote
NightWing wrote:
... Hopefully, you all have your little black plastic doo-dads installed and didn't throw them away as I almost did.Nerd emoticon
Yup, but it's not doing anything useful like being connected to an actual intake hose

My Stebel is close to vertical but it owes its attachment to 3 daisychained electrical tie-wraps.

So far, still no repeat failure and I haven't yet had the time to check the and upgrade the wiring.
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
UTC quote
It will probably malfunction again (intermittently) until you increase the size of the wire for the ground.
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0114s ][ Queries: 3 (0.0032s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]